Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

chipping rollout of 8,9,PW differences just practice?

72 replies to this topic

#1 Stephens24

Stephens24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51390
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:16 PM

Usually chip with 52.....I know the rollout so I fly it accordingly even if pin in back.....but apparently getting it on the green ASAP is the way to go.... But deciding between and 8 9 or PW I have no idea.....us that just a more reps you do the better on that?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 ezpz

ezpz

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153417
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

Just need to practice, also try to figure out what your landing spots are on hard/soft greens and what type of shot your best at executing on them.

#3 lawsonman

lawsonman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 3781

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

Just reps and play the same ball all the time so you know what it will do.
Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
Ping Anser 16.5
Ping Anser 20,23 Hybrid
Adams Vtech 25 Hybrid
Ping  S56, 6 - GW
KZG Forged 60*
Ping Piper S Redwood
Ping DLX Bag

#4 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1411

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

There is a really good video of Brian Manzella explaining the "Rule of 12", which Paul Runyan developed decades ago as the Rule of 11 before clubs were delofted.

Easy answer to your question is to do some practice work with your 52, and determine what the carry to roll ratio is on a simple, flat chip.  I'm going to guess that it's going to be about 1:1, or thereabouts, and you can add one part roll for each club you go down in loft.  So if your 52 is 1:1, then your PW is 1:2, your 9i would be 1:3, and so on.

Of course, that's just a starting point; things like lie, slope, green speed, etc., will change you up or down a club or more quite often.  But there are a couple of advantages; you basically use one chipping stroke and really focus on the landing spot, and most teachers would agree that judging and controlling roll is easier than judging and controlling carry.

Many years ago when I was first shown this method in a short game lesson with a very good teaching pro who was also a VERY good player, he started with this question: "Why do you putt on the green instead of chipping the ball to the hole?"  I laughed, but he insisted that I think about it and give him my best answer, which is, of course, that it's easier to roll the ball.  And so it is with using multiple clubs to chip and getting the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

A lot of people on this board love to talk about chipping with one club and adjusting their swing accordingly, and that's fine.  But I think that you'd be hard pressed to find many teaching pros that would urge amateur golfers to use fewer clubs and more swings than the other way around, and NO teaching pros that would say that, all other things equal, flying the ball is more reliable than rolling the ball.

#5 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 11867

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:38 PM

Just wouldn't have the time to develop the expertise for using 6-7 or more different clubs for chipping.

#6 seve1972

seve1972

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124438
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

Get the ball rolling ASAP.   Also it far easier to hit a chip solid with less loft (radius of the face is closer to the ball).  Learn to putt chip

#7 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:15 PM

View Postseve1972, on 10 February 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

Get the ball rolling ASAP.   Also it far easier to hit a chip solid with less loft (radius of the face is closer to the ball).  Learn to putt chip

Or hybrid!

#8 dicko999

dicko999

I call it "Celebration"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95237
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 359

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

Somewhere along the line, it was all 60* for me and I was pretty deft around the greens.  But when I missed, I really missed.

I started screwing around again last year with other clubs around the green and could not be happier.  Hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron, 50* wedge, etc have made life much easier and scores lower.
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 10.5*
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 17*
Ping G20 20*, 23* Hybrids
Ping G400 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 56*M, 62*M
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

#9 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

View Postdicko999, on 10 February 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

Somewhere along the line, it was all 60* for me and I was pretty deft around the greens.  But when I missed, I really missed.

I started screwing around again last year with other clubs around the green and could not be happier.  Hybrid, 6 iron, 8 iron, 50* wedge, etc have made life much easier and scores lower.

After all this time I have to ask, what do you do in winter when there aren't any sycamore leaves?  Or does the cold render them superfluous?

#10 Merkury10

Merkury10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492464
  • Ebay ID:Kccomet
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

+1 on rule of 12.

But I like to keep it nine iron and up. Too many clubs equals too much variable and I don’t practice enough to make a return on little investment.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Major Winner

• 1,148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:0.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1148

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

So maybe I am a bit of a heretic. I have never found the ratio based rules all that helpful.  You have green speed, firmness, grain, and slope (maybe wind) to judge. To me that dictates a certain ball speed and spin from somewhere around a yard to a few yards onto the green (if possible - sometimes no solution exists so it is bump it through the rough time).  I vary club and action to get the right amount of spin and trajectory.  I then hit it hard enough to get the speed.  It takes practice to get a feel for the different clubs, their spin/trajectory profiles, and length of swing/ball speed.

The benefit out of all this is a stroke that does not vary a great deal.  No real short stabs or long risky swings.  I find it more consistent to groove a similar swing with different clubs than try to execute wildly varying length strokes with the same club (like I said, maybe I'm a heretic).
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/ UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper XP95 R-Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

#12 Jackal

Jackal

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275745
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

Depending on either a tight lie or sitting up on grass.
Also, if it can roll up on the green,  or needs to carry first.
My clubs are: 7,8, or  50,53 wedge.
I can't  explain it. The shots are all about feel.
Backswing is taken back at 7,9 o'clock  for chips.
12 o'clock  for med. pitches.
1 o'clock  for my full wedges.
You need to experiment with what works best for YOUR game.

Edited by Jackal, 10 February 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#13 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

I have found the most reliable,easy and forgiving way to chip is the toe down chip putt. Hardly requires any practice. The feel is the same as a long lag putt. Lob chips should only be used when the chip and run is not an option but I know some players who lob everything to the hole and do it quite consistently. Need to find the method that works for you under pressure and have confidence with. Confidence is the key word. You don't want to be over a chip shot in fear and doubt.

#14 dg_1983

dg_1983

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67526
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 524

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:47 AM

I agree with this, but in practice you don't need many clubs.  One can get around most courses using a sw for lofted chips and pw for rolling shots.

Folks would be amazed how much better the onshore game would be if the committed to getting the ball rolling sooner(doesn't need to be instant)

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

#15 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1850

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:08 AM

View Postbluedot, on 10 February 2018 - 05:11 PM, said:

There is a really good video of Brian Manzella explaining the "Rule of 12", which Paul Runyan developed decades ago as the Rule of 11 before clubs were delofted.

Easy answer to your question is to do some practice work with your 52, and determine what the carry to roll ratio is on a simple, flat chip.  I'm going to guess that it's going to be about 1:1, or thereabouts, and you can add one part roll for each club you go down in loft.  So if your 52 is 1:1, then your PW is 1:2, your 9i would be 1:3, and so on.

Of course, that's just a starting point; things like lie, slope, green speed, etc., will change you up or down a club or more quite often.  But there are a couple of advantages; you basically use one chipping stroke and really focus on the landing spot, and most teachers would agree that judging and controlling roll is easier than judging and controlling carry.

Many years ago when I was first shown this method in a short game lesson with a very good teaching pro who was also a VERY good player, he started with this question: "Why do you putt on the green instead of chipping the ball to the hole?"  I laughed, but he insisted that I think about it and give him my best answer, which is, of course, that it's easier to roll the ball.  And so it is with using multiple clubs to chip and getting the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

A lot of people on this board love to talk about chipping with one club and adjusting their swing accordingly, and that's fine.  But I think that you'd be hard pressed to find many teaching pros that would urge amateur golfers to use fewer clubs and more swings than the other way around, and NO teaching pros that would say that, all other things equal, flying the ball is more reliable than rolling the ball.
I would say flying is better than rolling

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX (240, can 260+ if needed)
Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 2 iron; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85X
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 205) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (190, 180, 170) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (160, 145, 130)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (110): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

#16 Froghair

Froghair

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243435
  • Ebay ID:wk_artist
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:34 AM

That's almost exactly what I've used for years. Instead of using every club, do something in between and use four. I've been messing around the last year and I'm moving toward using hybrid, 7, 9, and 56*. Same idea though.

#17 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1725

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

View PostThinkingPlus, on 10 February 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

So maybe I am a bit of a heretic. I have never found the ratio based rules all that helpful.  You have green speed, firmness, grain, and slope (maybe wind) to judge. To me that dictates a certain ball speed and spin from somewhere around a yard to a few yards onto the green (if possible - sometimes no solution exists so it is bump it through the rough time).  I vary club and action to get the right amount of spin and trajectory.  I then hit it hard enough to get the speed.  It takes practice to get a feel for the different clubs, their spin/trajectory profiles, and length of swing/ball speed.

The benefit out of all this is a stroke that does not vary a great deal.  No real short stabs or long risky swings.  I find it more consistent to groove a similar swing with different clubs than try to execute wildly varying length strokes with the same club (like I said, maybe I'm a heretic).

Not a heretic. The Rule of (whatever) is just a guideline. The SW may be 1-1 but that would be on a level surface. If your chip is downhill it'd be something like 1-2, uphill maybe 2-1. Add in grain, etc and the rule "works".

In fact, the "Rule" is exactly what you're really using when you want to chip with basically 1 shortish stroke. You're varying the loft so you don't have to vary (much) the swing/stroke. You're just not thinking of it in terms of ratio.

e.g. Take a ball 3 feet off the putting surface with about 25 feet to the pin on level ground. One could carry a lob wedge 20 feet and let it roll out 5 or carry a SW about 13 feet and let it roll out 12 or carry a GW about 8 feet and let it roll out 17 or carry a PW only about 5 feet and let it roll out 20.

If you've ingrained a nice, compact shortish stroke (I mean the shorter the stroke the better contact one makes, no ?) you take that ball 3 feet off the green and with that nice shortish stroke you carry it 5 and have it roll out 20.

To take the LW and try to carry it 20 to roll out 5 you have to take a much longer swing than you're comfortable with and that typically causes lesser contact which, as most mishits do, flies the ball short of the target and as such, the ball ends up short as well.
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-P+W2, DGS300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW

Scotty Select Newport 2 (today)

Titleist AVX

#18 dicko999

dicko999

I call it "Celebration"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 10 February 2018 - 09:45 PM, said:

After all this time I have to ask, what do you do in winter when there aren't any sycamore leaves?  Or does the cold render them superfluous?

Not a big fan of the California Sycamore.  With the forecast calling for low 70s today, I may just go out and practice the high lofted wedge exclusively for old times sake.
Ping G400 5-PW

#19 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

View Postdicko999, on 11 February 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

Not a big fan of the California Sycamore.  With the forecast calling for low 70s today, I may just go out and practice the high lofted wedge exclusively for old times sake.

LOL, was referring to the avatar - deftly handled! With the temperature inching towards 7 degrees I think a birch leaf will suffice for me if I go frolic.

#20 rwc356

rwc356

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29907
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 203

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

I like the concept but have narrowed the clubs down to 3: SW, 9i and 7i. For me and my limited practice time, it seems these 3 clubs can pretty much handle most of the shots and I seem to have decent success with them. Could I be better - for sure - but could also do (and have done) much worse!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 lawsonman

lawsonman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 3781

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

Any instructor will tell you to get the ball rolling as soon as possible unless you're on tour.
Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
Ping Anser 16.5
Ping Anser 20,23 Hybrid
Adams Vtech 25 Hybrid
Ping  S56, 6 - GW
KZG Forged 60*
Ping Piper S Redwood
Ping DLX Bag

#22 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostSantiago Golf, on 11 February 2018 - 08:08 AM, said:

So does that mean that when you have a 25' putt, you chip and try to fly it to the hole instead of rolling it?

#23 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 10 February 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

Just wouldn't have the time to develop the expertise for using 6-7 or more different clubs for chipping.

First of all, you've got it backwards; the need for "expertise" becomes GREATER as you use fewer clubs, not less.  The whole idea behind the Rule of 12, or anything similar, is that you simply use the club that will fly the ball to a "safe" spot on the green and then let it roll out more or less.  Because your lofts are consistent, so is the roll out.  It takes LESS practice time to use one stroke with multiple clubs instead of one club with multiple strokes.

#24 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,198 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:22 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 11 February 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostThinkingPlus, on 10 February 2018 - 10:13 PM, said:

Not a heretic. The Rule of (whatever) is just a guideline. The SW may be 1-1 but that would be on a level surface. If your chip is downhill it'd be something like 1-2, uphill maybe 2-1. Add in grain, etc and the rule "works".

In fact, the "Rule" is exactly what you're really using when you want to chip with basically 1 shortish stroke. You're varying the loft so you don't have to vary (much) the swing/stroke. You're just not thinking of it in terms of ratio.

e.g. Take a ball 3 feet off the putting surface with about 25 feet to the pin on level ground. One could carry a lob wedge 20 feet and let it roll out 5 or carry a SW about 13 feet and let it roll out 12 or carry a GW about 8 feet and let it roll out 17 or carry a PW only about 5 feet and let it roll out 20.

If you've ingrained a nice, compact shortish stroke (I mean the shorter the stroke the better contact one makes, no ?) you take that ball 3 feet off the green and with that nice shortish stroke you carry it 5 and have it roll out 20.

To take the LW and try to carry it 20 to roll out 5 you have to take a much longer swing than you're comfortable with and that typically causes lesser contact which, as most mishits do, flies the ball short of the target and as such, the ball ends up short as well.

Correct; it's a guideline, not an order from a judge.  I adjust all the time according to the factors you mention.

And I'd add that maybe the biggest advantage is that you are REALLY focused on the landing spot, rather than the hole.  This prevents a long backswing followed by a decel because your body knows that the ball shouldn't be flying all the way to the hole.  When I see a player stab a club into the ground OR skull one across the green on a chip, it's ALWAYS a lofted club; the guys playing a bump and run to a landing spot might miss their spot and be significantly long or short of the hole, but you just don't see them hitting chunks or skulls because of the shorter backswing.

#25 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 6960

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

If you were playing on a flat piece of AstroTurf the rule of 12 might work. Instead learn to hit low/middle/high shots and visualize the shot and your landing spot.

I hit a lot of shots with a 58 but will use a PW and a 7 iron if I want a lot of run.

Edited by dlygrisse, 11 February 2018 - 05:05 PM.

Callaway GBB
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
Ball, KSig or a bunch of ProV's I won in a charity scramble.  
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

#26 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

View Postbluedot, on 11 February 2018 - 04:17 PM, said:

First of all, you've got it backwards; the need for "expertise" becomes GREATER as you use fewer clubs, not less.  The whole idea behind the Rule of 12, or anything similar, is that you simply use the club that will fly the ball to a "safe" spot on the green and then let it roll out more or less.  Because your lofts are consistent, so is the roll out.  It takes LESS practice time to use one stroke with multiple clubs instead of one club with multiple strokes.

No, I've always understood the concept but introducing the rule of 12 on top of all the different clubs throws a lot more variables into the mix than I care to deal with.  I think I know what works for me. Other stuff works for other folks.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 11 February 2018 - 05:04 PM.

#27 dicko999

dicko999

I call it "Celebration"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

View Postdicko999, on 11 February 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

LOL, was referring to the avatar - deftly handled! With the temperature inching towards 7 degrees I think a birch leaf will suffice for me if I go frolic.

Got a little chilly tonight at the short game facility.  Need to find a warmer leaf.
Ping G400 5-PW

#28 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

In theory that is true but using one club allows you to be a feel player. I can chip the ball harder or softer depending on my speed judgement. The rule of 12 sounds too mechanical to me. You really need to know the precise distance to the hole, factor in slope, figure out which club to use and hope your chip stroke is always the same in strength every time. It takes away all your feel for speed and rely on a method. I wouldn't want to play with someone who spends 5 minutes calculating their chip shots. It also adds a lot more work to playing the game. You have enough to think about during the round already managing your full swing and general course management.

#29 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1725

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

View Postdap, on 11 February 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

In theory that is true but using one club allows you to be a feel player. I can chip the ball harder or softer depending on my speed judgement. The rule of 12 sounds too mechanical to me. You really need to know the precise distance to the hole, factor in slope, figure out which club to use and hope your chip stroke is always the same in strength every time. It takes away all your feel for speed and rely on a method. I wouldn't want to play with someone who spends 5 minutes calculating their chip shots. It also adds a lot more work to playing the game. You have enough to think about during the round already managing your full swing and general course management.

I wonder which is easier to do consistently - use roughly the same length swing and allow the club to do the work or use the same SW and try to hit it anywhere from 5 feet to say, 35 feet in the air and rely on the release ?

And frankly, it's quite disingenuous of you to dismiss a method you don't like by adding "someone who spends 5 minutes calculating their chip shots".
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-P+W2, DGS300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW

Scotty Select Newport 2 (today)

Titleist AVX

#30 Golfbeat

Golfbeat

Swing Lessee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251408
  • Handicap:3.9
GolfWRX Likes : 816

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

View Postlawsonman, on 11 February 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

Any instructor will tell you to get the ball rolling as soon as possible unless you're on tour.

This ^

Fast greens and the rough and fairway grass around the greens makes if quite difficult for me to chip with longer clubs. You generally will get too much roll and/or not enough spin at least on the courses that I play on. Most of the time when I miss the green I am short sided someway. So I prefer the lob or sand wedge for chipping, even if I have a bit more green to work with.

Basically, use the bounce technique as described by Monte or the technique in this little book.

http://www.golfwrx.c...t#entry15939572

Edited by Golfbeat, 12 February 2018 - 08:46 AM.

Attention-Deficit Hypergolfactivity Disorder

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors