Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Zepp - first impressions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:22
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:08 AM

My very first impression was: Charge the *censored* thing first. It arrived with 30% battery so I thought I'd spend five minutes with it. Bad idea. It wouldn't stay connected.

Second impression: Use it properly. So after waiting an hour or so for it to charge I took a break from work and tried some practice swings with it held in my hand. Nope. No joy. totally ignored me.

Third impression: At home in back garden. Too small to use a ball but at least with it clipped on my glove it worked. Worked really well. No need to do anything other than swing.

So what did it tell me? It told me that my practice swing is pretty damn good - at least in path. My backswing with my driver and 3h is always around 265 degrees. I'm always on or below the swing plane (sometimes as far below as 17 degrees, which it's not so keen on). My tempo tends toward a slow back swing - ratios of 4:1 at times. Club speed is around 80mph for driver and 67 mph with my 3h.

I'm pleasantly surprised about the back swing but it is an area I've been working on. Club speed doesn't surprise me as I typically only drive around 200 yards. Club plane is a bit odd. I have a tendency to fade so being consistently under plane surprises me. Then again I have also been working on that (getting my trailing elbow down to my hip and ensuring my initial move is a hip bump that drops the club down).

But..I suspect the figures will be different when I finally get to address an actual golf ball. I've often had people tell me that I make far better practice swings and I know that I always feel a bit impatient when addressing the ball. Long term I can see me using the Zepp on practice rounds just to help identify the cause of bad shots.

Edited by andrue, 07 February 2018 - 05:10 AM.

Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 4473

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

Everything changes when a ball is in the way. Nobody's practice swing, or intended swing with no ball, is the same as their real swing.

#3 jeggolfer68

jeggolfer68

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292325
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

I have been touting Zepp for a few years. I was gifted "Golf Sense" maybe 3 years ago and upgraded to "Zepp 2" last year. I feel it's biggest asset is it's consistency. For example, even if swing speed numbers are low, they are consistently low, and if you are trying to increase swing speed then you will see it. I haven't a clue how this company is doing, if any updates are coming or any new products in the future. You get a ton of great info everytime you swing the club and believe it's worth every penny.

#4 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

View Postjeggolfer68, on 07 February 2018 - 02:19 PM, said:

I haven't a clue how this company is doing, if any updates are coming or any new products in the future.
They acknowledge emails pretty quickly so they either don't have many customers or else have a lot of staff :)

You get a ton of great info everytime you swing the club and believe it's worth every penny.
The way I'm looking at it is not necessarily to get accurate information (it having to guess what the club head is doing is always going to be a limitation) but for the consistency of what it reports. I don't much care what the actual figures are as long as I can reliable tie them to what I'm doing and what I'm trying to do.

If it tells me my down swing is too far below my back swing plane and it produces a bad shot which I can then correct by adjusting my swing so that it tells me I'm closer to plane then great. As long as it responds in a consistent and predictable way to me then that's fine. I have no interest in what my plane actually is - I just want good shots :)

Edited by andrue, 07 February 2018 - 05:12 PM.

Callaway XR Driver.
Cleveland 60* LW

#5 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:57 AM

I took it to the club today and let it record during a round of golf. Something went wrong during transfer and it didn't attach any sensor data to the round when I imported it. I thought I'd lost the data. But it turns out it's just stored the swings as random training data.

As for what it says - I'm not taking a full back swing a lot of the time and I'm sometimes well under plane. Also my tempo is often around 4:1.

I'm surprised I'm so often so far under plane but the back swing issue is no surprise, nor is tempo..

Callaway XR Driver.
Cleveland 60* LW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors