Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf is Different Now

47 replies to this topic

#31 aras

aras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352103
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

Getting old isn"t the problem, it"s the side effects.
Did not start golfing till age 50, worked hard at it and got to within 0.1 of single digit hcp.
I have gone thru two bouts of cancer(2003 and 2006) and was given 6 months to live in
April of 2007, but am obviously still here. I will be 70 this spring, hcp 17 now, but am so
thankful I can still golf 3 to 4 times a week. My point - enjoy the game , the friendships and
life while you can and don"t sweat the small stuff.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 bbthorn

bbthorn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360139
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

I'm 73, play 5-6 times a week in warm weather (last year played 78 18's and 184 9's). I go to the range or practice green once or twice weekly. I feel my best golf is still ahead of me. Sometimes I need a little Advil but I think you will stay young longer if you just keep moving. What I have lost in distance I have picked in playing a bit smarter. The short game is your friend.

#33 RSinSG

RSinSG

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:RSinPS
GolfWRX Likes : 1594

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

I love the old guy threads. Iíve been swinging a club since I was 16 and that was 50 years ago, so I agree with the OP that golf has changed for me. At first it was a who could hit it the farthest contest with my hoodlum friends, and then it was a place to escape the pressures of job an family. Now that Iím retired itís a way to stay active and it brings back competitive tendencies that drove me in high school and college sports.

When you get older you realize youíre not going to be the guy who leads the team in rushing yards, clears 15 feet in the pole vault or can bench press 285. Those days are past. But you can still pure a 6 iron to 3 feet just like the best golfers in the world do. Granted, they do it from 30 yards further out, but the feeling of accomplishment is the same.

A couple of years ago I was playing the best golf of my life at 64. A busted arm derailed me for a while, but Iím finally back to scoring good numbers. Iíve ticked off most of my golf bucket list goals since retiring including HIO, Albatross and breaking 70, but I still have some things I plan on doing including winning a Club championship (missed it by one stroke last year) and shooting my age.

Eat healthy, exercise and donít abuse your body and you should be able to enjoy the game like the guys in my league who call me the young kid.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 17* and 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW
Ping Glide 58* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

#34 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

Since when, the golf game is different every month.
Time accelerate when one past 65.......... but I have friends whom are more active now than when they were younger.

Yes, time changed everything, but one could still enjoy the game of golf, at a different level.

#35 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 4717

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:28 AM

One alarming thing about aging is that time seems to fly by.

Even this winter is travelling at breakneck speed.

#36 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 8,707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 4765

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

View PostWriggles, on 13 February 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

And yet that's still not fast enough!
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#37 platgof

platgof

platgof

• 805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125351
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:platgof
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

I had a hard time explaining to my friends that I will be playing the senior tees. They are in their forties and don't get it yet. Injuries are not decreasing as time moves on. I never know what is around the corner. I am playing senior shafts and have spent a lot of money on clubs lately. A blown knee took me out for about 5 months. I try to take my joint tablets regularly.
TM 2016 M2 HL Graffaloy Supercharged
RBZ 5 & 7 Wood
GBB OS 4, 5 Hybrid
GBB OS 6-AW
Speed Blade AW/SW
SC X5
Bridgestone B330RX

#38 aras

aras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352103
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

I had no idea you could get a joint in tablet form. :swoon:

#39 HackerDave

HackerDave

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Handicap:11.6
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

Great thread.   I'm 54 and knock on wood, have had no real health issues other than carrying to much weight.  My golf game has always been mediocre at best.  Handicap runs between 11 and 16 over 20+ years.  The past two years have been some of my best golf, but I can feel age catching up to me just a bit.  I have started yoga to improve flexibility.  I have never been flexible, so my goals are modest.   I really think this is the year where I can get to single digit handicap.  I don't care if its just for a weekend, for once in my life I want a single digit index.   I have also never broken 80.  A lot of 81's and 82's over the years.  

Have two kids and my youngest is graduating from college in May.  Both kids play and they are better than my by a LOT.   It is a joy to play with them.  Both my wife and I will be retired at the end of the year.  We both play golf and know full well that the next 10-15 years is as good as it is going to be.   Can't lie folks, I am longingly looking at the white tees.   I laugh now because despite the improvements in technology, there are holes that I used to hit 3 wood off the tee 20 years ago and now can hit driver all day long.

#40 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7553

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

And by the time you figure out that you should not be wishing your life away odds are you already have.....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 27,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 14268

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

View Postplatgof, on 13 February 2018 - 07:23 PM, said:

I had a hard time explaining to my friends that I will be playing the senior tees. They are in their forties and don't get it yet. Injuries are not decreasing as time moves on. I never know what is around the corner. I am playing senior shafts and have spent a lot of money on clubs lately. A blown knee took me out for about 5 months. I try to take my joint tablets regularly.

Props to you for moving up. However, I find it a bit disheartening that you have to explain anything to your friends. At my home course I play the middle tees as there are no senior tees. If I go to a course that has senior tees that is what I will play. I don't explain anything. I just say those are the tees I will be playing. No one has ever said anything.
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 3/7/9
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58/62
Callaway Odyssey Versa Tank #1

#42 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:48 AM

Relatively speaking, yes.
Time does seem to go by much faster when one aged, it is only because our mind is going slower than when we were younger.
This also work the same way when one has a very active mind.  
Time is constant as we use it for measurement, but everything else could accelerate or decelerate in relationship to the time.

#43 sdandrea

sdandrea

Steve

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:sdan6017
GolfWRX Likes : 672

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

65, retired, shoulder, knee and lumbar surgeries.  I play 4 times a week, 11 handicapper now with zero practice.  I just enjoy what the game gives me.  No worries, just fun.
PING K15 12*
TM '07 Burner 3w
Adams 2014 Idea 5h
PING G10  6-UW
PING Eye 2 Gorge SW
Scotty Cameron Fastback

"Never buy a putter until you've had a chance to throw it"

#44 Snowman9000

Snowman9000

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107588
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:14 PM

I'm 60.  I am spending the winter in Arizona in a 55+ community that is filled with active people.  We have a walking executive course. What I notice here among these athletic types are the tales of woe concerning serious injuries suffered playing softball, or riding bicycles in the lycra crowd, out on roads.  When you are 65 or 70, any injury can be life changing.  Golf is a great sport for seniors.  I watch the softball games and think, "I could still do that", then I picture myself destroying a hamstring trying to leg out a hit.  No thanks, I'll stick to golf.

I never made much effort to stay in shape, but I don't put on weight, so that's good.  I can report that age 50 was the point where problems started to appear.   And it only gets worse.  But there is a lot you can do about it.  The earlier you start, the better your senior years will be.

I spend too much time watching the struggles of my 70-something playing partners here, and wondering if I'm going to get like that, or what can I do about it?  Just watched the 1997 Masters recap on TGC yesterday, and saw the same infirmities on the ceremonial tee shots.  So I guess it just goes with the territory.  One thing I do think is that at some point before you get old, you need to develop a swing based on rhythm and tempo instead of power.   I think those swings age better.  I play with guys nearing 80 who don't have long swings, but have the sense of rhythm and make nice contact.  Anyway, they all seem to have fun.  I guess that is the future!

#45 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 774

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

View Postwkuo3, on 15 February 2018 - 11:48 AM, said:

Relatively speaking, yes.
Time does seem to go by much faster when one aged, it is only because our mind is going slower than when we were younger.
This also work the same way when one has a very active mind.  
Time is constant as we use it for measurement, but everything else could accelerate or decelerate in relationship to the time.

What I've found is that the mundane every day routine makes time fly by. When there's nothing new or special for my mind to learn or make a memory of, the day seems to have been just a moment in time. The longest days are the ones that I fill with activities and new experiences.

My work weeks fly by and only on the weekends do I ever slow time down for a bit.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#46 RobotDoctor

RobotDoctor

Hacker

• 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17087
GolfWRX Likes : 852

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

I began playing golf 31 years ago.  My first set included Ben Hogan laminated woods, Ben Hogan Radial irons and a Spaulding
TP Mills putter and Titleist DT balls.  My game evolved to Persimmon woods, players blade irons, Ping putters and Titleist Tour Balata balls and my handicap dropped. I became a scratch golfer then as progression of life happens I got married and had children.  My golf time became less frequent, mostly due to the angst of the wife.  I am no longer married to the "Anti-Golf", as I referred to my wife (she hated that label).  I'm playing more golf and practicing more.  I got remarried to a person who understands what Golf means to me and my psyche.  She encourages me to practice and play and the result is my game is coming back.  There are many layers of rust on my game but I'm getting back to playing a respectable game as each rust layer is removed.  My goal is to become scratch again and play in some local tournaments and not embarrass myself.  I not nearly as long as I used to be but still hit it long enough as I'm approaching my mid 50s.  Maybe my golf is coming full circle and I'll be able to maintain the skills I once had.

Edited by RobotDoctor, 15 February 2018 - 12:45 PM.

Titleist 905S 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6 stiff
Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff (6g shaft plug)
Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Fujikura Motore stiff
Ben Hogan Apex '99 blades (3-E) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf GW and LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe CU plated

#47 TigerWoodsIV

TigerWoodsIV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8669
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

Just keep it going as long as you can. I'm only 27 and I've already lost 2 whole seasons with elbow and shoulder tendonitis and then wrist surgery.  It is really hard to overcome.  I still am, because I can't practice as much as I want or the tendonitis rears its ugly head.  But just do what you can, when you can.

#48 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 27,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 14268

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

View Postsdandrea, on 15 February 2018 - 11:54 AM, said:

65, retired, shoulder, knee and lumbar surgeries.  I play 4 times a week, 11 handicapper now with zero practice.  I just enjoy what the game gives me.  No worries, just fun.

That's a very sound approach.
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 3/7/9
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58/62
Callaway Odyssey Versa Tank #1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors