Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

Worst Golfer to Win a Major


97 replies to this topic

#61 shakey

shakey

    OvenWRX 1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60434
  • Joined: 07/14/2008
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2466

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

View PostKCCO, on 08 February 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

View Postshakey, on 08 February 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

View PostKCCO, on 08 February 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

I don’t know about worst, but disappeared shortly after his masters victory Angel Cabrera
No way Angel gets on this list. Won the Masters and a US Open. Lost another Masters in Sudden Death.
I was just wondering where he is now....why I mentioned not worst, just don’t hear of him much anymore...sorry for confusion
Ah.  Sorry for misunderstanding.  Seems like he was hurt some last year.

TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 Stiff
TM M3 3HL  w/Diamana Ahina 70 Stiff
NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
NIKE Vapor PC 4-PW w/DGS300

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
TM TP Black Copper Mullen 2
TM TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 653

Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Except for the normal suspects, what you can say is that a Major victory don't always produces a boost for a promising player's golf. You saw a lot of Immelman before his master win, but not much since. It seems that the half-scandinavian Willet didn't get much confidence out of his Masters win. Played ok in the BMW Pga champs shortly after but then his play has gone down the drain. Saw him today on TV in the Perth event. Painful to see. He did a lot of good things on the EU tour before the masters win. I think he had some kind of injury problems but still, it seems like he couldnt really handle the increasing attention a player get after a Major win. Granted, it kind of stumbled onto him after Spieths adventures at the Jordan River.

Edited by Hankshank, 08 February 2018 - 02:32 PM.


2

#63 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,511 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5107

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:04 PM

View Postshakey, on 08 February 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

View PostKCCO, on 08 February 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

View Postshakey, on 08 February 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

View PostKCCO, on 08 February 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

I don’t know about worst, but disappeared shortly after his masters victory Angel Cabrera
No way Angel gets on this list. Won the Masters and a US Open. Lost another Masters in Sudden Death.
I was just wondering where he is now....why I mentioned not worst, just don’t hear of him much anymore...sorry for confusion
Ah.  Sorry for misunderstanding.  Seems like he was hurt some last year.

Angel is a rockstar! His thumbs up to Adam Scott during the 2013 Masters playoff is one of the classiest episodes in the game!

3

#64 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 17543

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

View Postimakaveli, on 08 February 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

View Postshakey, on 08 February 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

View PostKCCO, on 08 February 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

View Postshakey, on 08 February 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

View PostKCCO, on 08 February 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

I don’t know about worst, but disappeared shortly after his masters victory Angel Cabrera
No way Angel gets on this list. Won the Masters and a US Open. Lost another Masters in Sudden Death.
I was just wondering where he is now....why I mentioned not worst, just don’t hear of him much anymore...sorry for confusion
Ah.  Sorry for misunderstanding.  Seems like he was hurt some last year.

Angel is a rockstar! His thumbs up to Adam Scott during the 2013 Masters playoff is one of the classiest episodes in the game!

Angel, prolly the player I'd most like to play a round and grab a beer/steak with.

Where is that "look alike" thread. Just thought of one...

Angel

Posted Image




Tom Sizemore
Posted Image

4

#65 johnnypro

johnnypro

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2246
  • Joined: 07/07/2005
  • Location:Lynbrook, ny
  • Handicap:14.5
GolfWRX Likes : 515

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

Ben Curtis?
Todd Hamilton?
Danny Willett?
Trevor Immelman?
Charlie Coody?
Doug Ford?
Lucas Glover?
Michael Campbell?
Jones (Steve, not Bobby)?
Lou Graham?
Orville Moody?


5

#66 shakey

shakey

    OvenWRX 1

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60434
  • Joined: 07/14/2008
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2466

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

Angel shot 78 today at Pebble.  Maybe he did need to be on the list.
TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 Stiff
TM M3 3HL  w/Diamana Ahina 70 Stiff
NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
NIKE Vapor PC 4-PW w/DGS300

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
TM TP Black Copper Mullen 2
TM TP5x

6

#67 cdnglf

cdnglf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
  • Joined: 09/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1631

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

View Postjohnnypro, on 08 February 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Doug Ford?

Ben Crenshaw? Mark O'Meara? Dave Stockton? JM Olazabal? Curtis Strange?

Edited by cdnglf, 08 February 2018 - 05:27 PM.


7

#68 daniel32293

daniel32293

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94595
  • Joined: 09/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

View PostBump10, on 06 February 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

I know the title is kind of harsh...but you get the idea.

My vote goes for Danny Willett. I've heard literally nothing about him since winning the Masters.

Ignorant post... you clearly were not watching golf that year...

Ever hear of Michael Campbell?
DP's WITB: more like what isn't in the bag...
Callaway GBB Epic 9* - Graphite Design AD-BB 6x - Taylormade M2 9.5* - Aldila Rogue Siver 7x
Taylormade M2 15* - UST Elements Platinum 7x
Callaway Apex 20* - UST VTS Silver 95x
Callaway Apex UT 21* - GD AD DI 95x
Titleist 716 CB/MB 4-P DG TI x100 - Mizuno MP 64 4-P - DG TI x100
Callaway MD 3 Tour Issue 50 - 55 - 60 DG TI s400 - Vokey SM 6 50 - 55 - 60 DG TI s400
Scotty Cameron Select Newport - 35" - Odyssey Versa #7 - 35"

8

#69 Dave230

Dave230

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
  • Joined: 05/22/2013
  • Location:Ireland
GolfWRX Likes : 2402

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

View PostHankshank, on 08 February 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

Except for the normal suspects, what you can say is that a Major victory don't always produces a boost for a promising player's golf. You saw a lot of Immelman before his master win, but not much since. It seems that the half-scandinavian Willet didn't get much confidence out of his Masters win. Played ok in the BMW Pga champs shortly after but then his play has gone down the drain. Saw him today on TV in the Perth event. Painful to see. He did a lot of good things on the EU tour before the masters win. I think he had some kind of injury problems but still, it seems like he couldnt really handle the increasing attention a player get after a Major win. Granted, it kind of stumbled onto him after Spieths adventures at the Jordan River.

Happens to lots of players. I think that you have to be somewhat ready for what comes afterwards. Michael Campbell said "There are those that can deal with majors and there are those that can't." Most susceptible players are those whose careers are building up to a moment then they win it and struggle to motivate themselves afterwards like Darren Clarke, Stewart Cink, Michael Campbell, David Duval possibly, and those who win it too early and by too much of a surprise like Willett, Trevor Immelman.

I thought from the 2016 major winners, there was a chance you wouldn't hear much from Willett and Walker (although he has had health issues, he looked like someone from the first category). Dustin Johnson and Stenson were ready to win majors.

9

#70 Danm2501

Danm2501

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334587
  • Joined: 08/18/2014
  • Location:Manchester, UK
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:59 PM

The Danny Willett calls are hilarious to me. 5 wins on Tour, 3 Top 5's in WGC's, a Top 10 in The Open, was ranked in the Top 10 of the OWGR from Augusta to pretty much the end of the 2016 season, there's no way he's worse than guys who never won on Tour other than a Major win. Such a shame everything that's happened since his green jacket win. His brother marred his Ryder Cup debut and he's been plagued with injuries ever since. Hopefully he'll get fully fit again soon because he has some serious talent.

Taylormade M1 HZRDUS Red 62 TI
Callaway XR 4 Wood
Callaway X-Hot 22* Hybrid
Nike Covert 2.0 Irons (5-SW)
Vokey SM5 Wedge 52*
Callaway Mack Daddy III 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Joined: 10/30/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

View Postcdnglf, on 08 February 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

View Postjohnnypro, on 08 February 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Doug Ford?

Ben Crenshaw? Mark O'Meara? Dave Stockton? JM Olazabal? Curtis Strange?


Yeah don’t forget Hale Irwin and Tom Weiskopf. iThose dopes couldn’t win one Masters.

11

#72 Mike73

Mike73

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487288
  • Joined: 11/22/2017
  • Location:midwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:09 PM

I was going to say Phil, but I wont.

12

#73 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Joined: 10/30/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostMike73, on 08 February 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

I was going to say Phil, but I wont.




Ha.   Why not? It’s a very unsucessful group and he would fit right in.  So, I will do the honors and not only add Phil but Lee Trevino as well.

13

#74 Dave230

Dave230

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
  • Joined: 05/22/2013
  • Location:Ireland
GolfWRX Likes : 2402

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:23 AM

View PostLagavulin62, on 08 February 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

View PostMike73, on 08 February 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

I was going to say Phil, but I wont.

Ha.   Why not? It's a very unsucessful group and he would fit right in.  So, I will do the honors and not only add Phil but Lee Trevino as well.

Jack Nicklaus had more second places than first places #loser

14

#75 Kaysquare

Kaysquare

    Puppyluv

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76012
  • Joined: 02/24/2009
  • Location:New Mexico
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 1737

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:20 AM

No matter their talent, the guy who wins a major was the BEST golfer that day/week, and that's all that matters, even if he never wins another tournament in his  life.


15

#76 Jackhammer993

Jackhammer993

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120424
  • Joined: 01/12/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

I wouldn’t say he was the worst golfer but Stewart Cink beating Tom Watson in The British Open was the most dissapointing. That was a miracle week for Tom that defied time. Never heard much from either Stewart or Tom after that. Just crushing.

16

#77 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Joined: 10/30/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

View PostJackhammer993, on 10 February 2018 - 08:33 PM, said:

I wouldn’t say he was the worst golfer but Stewart Cink beating Tom Watson in The British Open was the most dissapointing. That was a miracle week for Tom that defied time. Never heard much from either Stewart or Tom after that. Just crushing.




Watson was interviewed by Jim Rome the next week and he asked Tom if that was possibly one of the greatest rounds of his career, coming in 2nd at that age at the British. (Only Rome could ask such an idiot question) of course Tom said no, I didn’t finish the job.

17

#78 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,009 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2017

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:39 PM

View Postcdnglf, on 08 February 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

View Postjohnnypro, on 08 February 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Doug Ford?

Ben Crenshaw? Mark O'Meara? Dave Stockton? JM Olazabal? Curtis Strange?

You should at least read about how many other events some of these golfers won before posting such drivel.

18

#79 cdnglf

cdnglf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
  • Joined: 09/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1631

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

View PostRoadking2003, on 10 February 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

View Postcdnglf, on 08 February 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

View Postjohnnypro, on 08 February 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Doug Ford?

Ben Crenshaw? Mark O'Meara? Dave Stockton? JM Olazabal? Curtis Strange?

You should at least read about how many other events some of these golfers won before posting such drivel.

How do they stack up against Doug Ford?

19

#80 johnnypro

johnnypro

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2246
  • Joined: 07/07/2005
  • Location:Lynbrook, ny
  • Handicap:14.5
GolfWRX Likes : 515

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

View Postjohnnypro, on 08 February 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Ben Curtis?
Todd Hamilton?
Danny Willett?
Trevor Immelman?
Charlie Coody?
Doug Ford?
Lucas Glover?
Michael Campbell?
Jones (Steve, not Bobby)?
Lou Graham?
Orville Moody?

OK....I take back Doug Ford.
Didn't realize he won two majors.

Mea culpa!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 Chazb

Chazb

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100959
  • Joined: 12/28/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

IMO there is no “worst golfer ”that won a major because in that particular tournament he or she was the best.

Edited by Chazb, 11 February 2018 - 01:49 PM.


21

#82 McGee72

McGee72

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491382
  • Joined: 01/19/2018
  • Location:Naples, FL
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

There is a “tallest midget in the world” ya know.

22

#83 tgreenwood11

tgreenwood11

    Bye bye yips in 2015

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72615
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

Andy North

23

#84 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 17543

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Phil Mickelson

-Mikey

24

#85 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    The adventure begins!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10896

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

View Posttgreenwood11, on 11 February 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Andy North

Yeah, only won two U.S. Opens, what a hack.

People just don't really get the significance of that accomplishment.

Then again, my yard is teeming with snowflakes.


25

#86 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 1936

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:02 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

View Posttgreenwood11, on 11 February 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Andy North

Yeah, only won two U.S. Opens, what a hack.

People just don't really get the significance of that accomplishment.

Then again, my yard is teeming with snowflakes.
Threads like this continually remind and amuse me of how little many "golf fans" actually know about players and what they have accomplished in the game.

26

#87 Golfjack

Golfjack

    That draw keeps creeping back

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239545
  • Joined: 03/19/2013
  • Ebay ID:Conft
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:56 AM

Stop harping on pro golfers.  These guys are better than any amateur and most pro golfers in general (considering all the other levels of pro golfers not to mention teaching pros).  I think they are all amazing.  PGA golf is incredibly competitive.  To even be able to pull everything together and shoot a winning score over four days not to mention a major is an amazing feat.
TM M4 Driver 10.5
TM M4 3 wood 16
4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

27

#88 tgreenwood11

tgreenwood11

    Bye bye yips in 2015

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72615
  • Joined: 01/12/2009
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 11 February 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

View Posttgreenwood11, on 11 February 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Andy North

Yeah, only won two U.S. Opens, what a hack.

People just don't really get the significance of that accomplishment.

Then again, my yard is teeming with snowflakes.

"to win a major". try reading.

28

#89 Lagavulin62

Lagavulin62

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445162
  • Joined: 10/30/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostMcGee72, on 11 February 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

There is a “tallest midget in the world” ya know.



That’s not very respectful calling someone a midget.  I’m sure you’re a class act so how about “dwarf” or “shrimp”? Up your game would you, it’s 2018.




29

#90 Jackhammer993

Jackhammer993

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120424
  • Joined: 01/12/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:34 PM

Does anyone feel a sense of dissapointment when a lower ranked middle age golfer wins a major, especially when they beat one of the worlds best. Most of these guys are really solid and have great stories but when they beat an establshed superstar or a fast up and comer I am usually left dissapointed. I think this happens less at the Masters due to the smaller field but still does happen.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors