Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lost the long drive...to WHO?!

48 replies to this topic

#31 Roody

Roody

You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

View PostMrJones, on 06 February 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I tell the story about the longest round of golf I ever played and in it, there are these two guys we got paired up with. One of them was about 5'6, 240 all gut. The day I played with him he sucked hard enough that he could have gotten blood from a turnip. His longest drive that was even playable might have been 180.

Months later guess who was in the last scramble group of the day and won, not only the long drive contest, but closest to the pin as well?
I was in my buddy's club invitational last summer, which was a 3-day event. On all three days they had closest to the pin contests for all the par 3's. On their 210 yard 17th hole, I dropped one to 3 feet and figured that probably had a really good shot at winning. It was late in the day, and at 210 yards it's not like it was an easy shot.

One of the guys in one of the groups behind ours says he put one to two feet. It was a shotgun start, and our group only had 3 holes left to go that day so there couldn't have been too many groups left to come through. Cost me about $300 in prize money. Same guy also won one of the other closest to the pins on one of the other holes. Not saying it's impossible, I just get a little suspicious when there's substantial money on the line.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 2702

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

View PostRoody, on 07 February 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

I tell the story about the longest round of golf I ever played and in it, there are these two guys we got paired up with. One of them was about 5'6, 240 all gut. The day I played with him he sucked hard enough that he could have gotten blood from a turnip. His longest drive that was even playable might have been 180.

Months later guess who was in the last scramble group of the day and won, not only the long drive contest, but closest to the pin as well?
I was in my buddy's club invitational last summer, which was a 3-day event. On all three days they had closest to the pin contests for all the par 3's. On their 210 yard 17th hole, I dropped one to 3 feet and figured that probably had a really good shot at winning. It was late in the day, and at 210 yards it's not like it was an easy shot.

One of the guys in one of the groups behind ours says he put one to two feet. It was a shotgun start, and our group only had 3 holes left to go that day so there couldn't have been too many groups left to come through. Cost me about $300 in prize money. Same guy also won one of the other closest to the pins on one of the other holes. Not saying it's impossible, I just get a little suspicious when there's substantial money on the line.

I would like to impart my opinion.  The guy lied.   As my catholic grandmother used to say of lairs and cheats, "I hope he catches the stomach flu so he can sit around for a few days and think about his sins."

Nice shot by the way.

#33 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 21,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 20720

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

View PostFerguson, on 07 February 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

I was asked to play in a scramble about 5-6 years ago.  Other than the story I get to tell, I regret it to this very day. Not my kind of thing but it was a friend’s company event and I felt obliged.   Everyone on the course was pretty drunk within an hour of starting.   I was drinking but not at the pace of some of these people.   We all finished up and they started handing out awards.   Our team won with a -12 round.  We got booed of course.  Second place was 4 under.

When it came to the long drive, they announced the winner.   When the guy (his name was Ray) went up there to claim his prize, someone yelled out, “Ray f-ing cheated, and I have it on my camera.” The guy was filming on an adjacent hole and caught Ray on video running up and writing his name on the marker in the fairway.   The guy on the microphone handing out the awards, bombed himself, took a full beer and threw it in Ray’s face and called him a f-ing liar.   A pretty good shouting match continued until Ray’s buddy and the Club’s GM went up there to break it up.  That’s when it got interesting.   The guy with the mic  told everyone there as he pointed to Ray’s buddy, “I know Ray is a f-ing cheater ‘cause he f-ed HIS wife!”  Three people had to break it up before a fight broke out.   Some people started laughing – others were in complete shock.  Our team was just sitting there wondering how we got there.  There was more yelling until finally we were all asked to leave.

Fergie you hang with an interesting crowd!  Were the police called?

#34 whiteout73

whiteout73

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7666
  • Handicap:1.6
GolfWRX Likes : 272

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:21 PM

View PostGMR, on 06 February 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

To preface this, please don't read the following as bitterness, more just something that happened I thought was funny...  Curious to hear any stories anyone else might have about funny results of these types of contests.

Played in a pairs betterball a week or so ago, and they had a par 3 set up for closest to hole, and a par 5 designated as the long drive hole.  Pretty standard.  Long drive hole is a 550yd par 5 that runs uphill all the way from the teebox (probably plays close to 600yds) with cross-bunkers around the 280 mark.  Never really understood why they chose that hole since it's probably a 3w hole for a super long driver, especially in the summer...but I digress.

Anyway we're playing in the middle of the winter, about 40 degrees out, ground is wet and getting no roll, and the hole happens to be playing into about a 15mph wind on the day in question.  I plan on hitting 3w since I'm not getting home in 2 anyway and it can be penal if you miss wide, but my playing partners goad me into hitting driver. I've been hitting it decently to that point so I decide to give it a rip.  Absolutely pure one and get to about 15 yards short of the bunkers--so about 265 uphill into the wind with no roll.  Partners are hooping and hollering and carrying on saying they couldn't believe how far up there I got, so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.

So long story short we were one of the first groups out and I am not able to wait around for the awards since there are about 15 groups out after us.  We tell the guy in the pro shop that I absolutely nailed one on the long drive hole, and ask him to call us with the results and hold the prize in case I win it (nice £60 bottle of champagne), which he offers to do.

Anyway so next day I see the score results of the contest go up online, but nothing about Closest to the Pin or the Long Drive, so I call into the pro shop to see if I won, or if not who beat me.  Guy remembers me from the previous day and is really nice when I call, and tells me I didn't win the long drive.  I'm a little shocked but I'm not exactly Rory long, so I'm curious and ask him how far out the the guy hit it past me.  He tells me the name of the person and then, "she apparently really got ahold of one."

"She?"  Yes so apparently the long-drive was won by a lady playing off the ladies' tees. Which is great and all, except that on that particular hole the ladies' tees are 110 yards up from the medal tees, meaning anything 160 or better in the fairway had me beat.  I kinda laughed and told the proshop guy that I wasn't aware any ladies had been in the competition.  Turns out she was the only lady in the field...go figure.

Anybody else have any fun stories?

Hahaha.  I have pretty much the exact same story.  Some years back, I lost the long drive prize to a girl, who played the ladies' tees, which were a good 100 yards ahead of the mens' tees on that hole.  Not just any girl either, but a current D1 college player.  I didn't really care, as the prize was just some crap Nike driver that I didn't want, but still, it was funny/annoying.
D -    Ping G400 10-degree, Ping Tour 65-S
3W - Tour Issue TM RBZ Tour TP 14.5, Diamana kai'li 70S
Hy -  TaylorMade 2009 Rescue TP 19, Aldila RIP 85S
4-P - Ping i25, Ping TFC 189i graphite stiff
GW - Ping Tour Gorge 50
SW - TaylorMade RAC TP Y-cutter 54
LW -  Ping Glide ES 58
P -     Bettinardi BB28 Raw Limited

#35 RainShadow

RainShadow

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 399

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:44 PM

These stories are evidence for why I quit playing in very many Tournements.
Most “ fun” functions have sand baggers and outright cheating....not worth the aggravation for me.

GBB Epic 10.5 (11.5)  Speeder 661
XHot 15* and 19*
Apex Hybrid  23 & 26 Kuro Kage stiff
Adams CB3 Steelfiber 6-GW 110cw stiff
RTX 3 54 and 58
Bettinardi BB1/ Select Newport (black)/ MXM 1 Versa
Prov1x or Chrome Soft/ Ksig

#36 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
GolfWRX Likes : 2004

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

I was asked to play in a scramble about 5-6 years ago.  Other than the story I get to tell, I regret it to this very day.    Not my kind of thing but it was a friend’s company event and I felt obliged.   Everyone on the course was pretty drunk within an hour of starting.   I was drinking but not at the pace of some of these people.   We all finished up and they started handing out awards.   Our team won with a -12 round.  We got booed of course.  Second place was 4 under.    

When it came to the long drive, they announced the winner.   When the guy (his name was Ray) went up there to claim his prize, someone yelled out, “Ray f-ing cheated, and I have it on my camera.”    The guy was filming on an adjacent hole and caught Ray on video running up and writing his name on the marker in the fairway.   The guy on the microphone handing out the awards, bombed himself, took a full beer and threw it in Ray’s face and called him a f-ing liar.   A pretty good shouting match continued until Ray’s buddy and the Club’s GM went up there to break it up.  That’s when it got interesting.   The guy with the mic  told everyone there as he pointed to Ray’s buddy, “I know Ray is a f-ing cheater ‘cause he f-ed HIS wife!”  Three people had to break it up before a fight broke out.   Some people started laughing – others were in complete shock.  Our team was just sitting there wondering how we got there.  There was more yelling until finally we were all asked to leave.

Oh this is a keeper. My wife is still laughing after I read it to her

I was asked to play in a scramble about 5-6 years ago.  Other than the story I get to tell, I regret it to this very day.    Not my kind of thing but it was a friend’s company event and I felt obliged.   Everyone on the course was pretty drunk within an hour of starting.   I was drinking but not at the pace of some of these people.   We all finished up and they started handing out awards.   Our team won with a -12 round.  We got booed of course.  Second place was 4 under.    

When it came to the long drive, they announced the winner.   When the guy (his name was Ray) went up there to claim his prize, someone yelled out, “Ray f-ing cheated, and I have it on my camera.”    The guy was filming on an adjacent hole and caught Ray on video running up and writing his name on the marker in the fairway.   The guy on the microphone handing out the awards, bombed himself, took a full beer and threw it in Ray’s face and called him a f-ing liar.   A pretty good shouting match continued until Ray’s buddy and the Club’s GM went up there to break it up.  That’s when it got interesting.   The guy with the mic  told everyone there as he pointed to Ray’s buddy, “I know Ray is a f-ing cheater ‘cause he f-ed HIS wife!”  Three people had to break it up before a fight broke out.   Some people started laughing – others were in complete shock.  Our team was just sitting there wondering how we got there.  There was more yelling until finally we were all asked to leave.

Oh this is a keeper. My wife is still laughing after I read it to her

#37 pingbling23

pingbling23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348503
  • Ebay ID:Pingbling23
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:53 AM

Use to play swats with a gentleman in his 60's.  Got to play from the senior tees.  Single digit handicap and could hit it 280.  Easy money lol.  Don't like the idea of a woman getting to hit from forward tees and count towards a long drive though.
Ping G 10.5* Alta 55
Ping G30 3 & 5 Fwy
Ping G25 3-W CFS X
Ping Gorge 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/Ping Sigma G Anser

#38 RSinSG

RSinSG

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:RSinPS
GolfWRX Likes : 1594

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:19 AM

That’s when it got interesting.

Actually it was pretty interesting already.

Play in scrambles to benefit a good cause and hang out with your buddies. If that is all you hope to accomplish you wont be disappointed.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 17* and 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW
Ping Glide 58* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

#39 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
GolfWRX Likes : 195

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:40 AM

I was asked to play in a scramble about 5-6 years ago.  Other than the story I get to tell, I regret it to this very day. Not my kind of thing but it was a friend’s company event and I felt obliged.   Everyone on the course was pretty drunk within an hour of starting.   I was drinking but not at the pace of some of these people.   We all finished up and they started handing out awards.   Our team won with a -12 round.  We got booed of course.  Second place was 4 under.

When it came to the long drive, they announced the winner.   When the guy (his name was Ray) went up there to claim his prize, someone yelled out, “Ray f-ing cheated, and I have it on my camera.” The guy was filming on an adjacent hole and caught Ray on video running up and writing his name on the marker in the fairway.   The guy on the microphone handing out the awards, bombed himself, took a full beer and threw it in Ray’s face and called him a f-ing liar.   A pretty good shouting match continued until Ray’s buddy and the Club’s GM went up there to break it up.  That’s when it got interesting.   The guy with the mic  told everyone there as he pointed to Ray’s buddy, “I know Ray is a f-ing cheater ‘cause he f-ed HIS wife!”  Three people had to break it up before a fight broke out.   Some people started laughing – others were in complete shock.  Our team was just sitting there wondering how we got there.  There was more yelling until finally we were all asked to leave.
That sounds like an incredible day.  It wasn't in Phoenix by chance was it?

#40 Roody

Roody

You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:8.9
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostFerguson, on 07 February 2018 - 03:27 PM, said:

View PostRoody, on 07 February 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

I would like to impart my opinion.  The guy lied.   As my catholic grandmother used to say of lairs and cheats, "I hope he catches the stomach flu so he can sit around for a few days and think about his sins."

Nice shot by the way.
Thanks man, it was a good shot. I was proud of it. For a second or two I thought it was gonna go in the hole.

I forgot to add that after they announced that the other guy won, I turned to my buddy who is a member at the club and said "are you effing kidding me?!? How did that shot get beat?!?!". For a few minutes I sat there shaking my head, and I pissed and moaned about it. My buddy said "just let it go man, there are some guys here who stick together and do shady sh*t like this. Just let it go".

I think he was basically saying that he knew these guys are dirty cheaters, but didn't think it was worth it to raise a stink about it.

Edited by Roody, 08 February 2018 - 09:17 AM.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 kozubs

kozubs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176704
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

That is an awesome story.

#42 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

This... might be the best post of 2018 so far :).
Titleist 917D3 9.5* Diamana S+ 60
Titleist 917F3 15* Diamana S+ 70
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Rogue 85
Titleist 712 MB S300 3-PW
Titleist TVD 56/60
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

#43 NorthernHills

NorthernHills

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434008
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

Played a small society tournament last year,  (20 players ) on a day with vicious crosswinds on the long drive hole, which had a very tight landing area post 260 yards.  (440 yard par 4) I am one of the shorter hitters and hit my classic safe shot steady drive probably out to about 235. Thought nothing else of it, until awards come around and I'd won! Turned out no-one else had managed to hit the fairway in the wind so I took home a box of Pro V1x's. Probably the only long drive contest I'll ever win.

#44 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

View PostNorthernHills, on 13 February 2018 - 07:22 AM, said:

Played a small society tournament last year,  (20 players ) on a day with vicious crosswinds on the long drive hole, which had a very tight landing area post 260 yards.  (440 yard par 4) I am one of the shorter hitters and hit my classic safe shot steady drive probably out to about 235. Thought nothing else of it, until awards come around and I'd won! Turned out no-one else had managed to hit the fairway in the wind so I took home a box of Pro V1x's. Probably the only long drive contest I'll ever win.
That's actually fantastic.  I've seen this happen once before on a CTTH--really difficult 210yd hole with a relatively small green for that kind of distance.  Was playing into a pretty stout wind that day and literally zero people in the field hit the green haha.  Never seen it on a longest drive before though!

#45 78Staff

78Staff

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3676
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

i'll tell the opposite, winning one when I had no business doing so - this is probably 15 or more years ago, company tournament.  Buddy of mine both in same group, I'm decent longish but he's easily 20-30 yards past me on most occasion's, a true long hitter.  Marked hole is a par 5, sight dogleg - I pop one out there around 270... pretty decent for me back then, but easily surpassed normally.  Unluckily, my buddy tugs one OB left, so I'm sitting pretty.  Of course we are only the 2nd or 3rd group though so I don't expect it to hold up... but pretty much right after this the skies opened up for about a half hour and soaked the course, so pretty much everyone after me had to contend with a soaked fairway.  Wound up winning, and the prize was.. get this...a bottle of vodka lol.

Same tourney, there was a prize of 4 nice ping putters to the group for something - I don't recall what it was for.  There was also a single putter prize for something else, which was a cheaper no-name putter.  The guy running the show, actually won the single putter prize, and then decided to substitute one of the four ping putters for his prize of the cheap putter.  I called him out on it, even though I was kinda new at the company - and his response was the group that won the 4 ping putters prize had a women who didn't play much and she wouldn't know the difference anyway.  It was shady but being new in the company I left it alone.

Kinda soured me on these events in general, I never played in one again.

Titleist 917D3 9.5* Diamana S+ 60
Titleist 917F3 15* Diamana S+ 70
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Rogue 85
Titleist 712 MB S300 3-PW
Titleist TVD 56/60
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

#46 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1101

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

Years ago at a big tournament in NY, the funny prizes were ridiculous. Long drive was a free trip to Myrtle Beach for 2, everything paid for. Long drive was on a 380+ yard straight par 4. My buddy vaporized one, heat seeking missile, right at the flag. Rolled out right in front of the green, but ran out of fairway. So he hit a 370 yard drive, was 30 yards by ME, they gave ME the prize.....I gave it to him, as fair is fair, it wasn't HIS fault he hit it through the fairway into the rough.....

#47 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 08:14 AM

View PostEKELLY, on 16 February 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

Years ago at a big tournament in NY, the funny prizes were ridiculous. Long drive was a free trip to Myrtle Beach for 2, everything paid for. Long drive was on a 380+ yard straight par 4. My buddy vaporized one, heat seeking missile, right at the flag. Rolled out right in front of the green, but ran out of fairway. So he hit a 370 yard drive, was 30 yards by ME, they gave ME the prize.....I gave it to him, as fair is fair, it wasn't HIS fault he hit it through the fairway into the rough.....
That is VERY kind of you.  I hope he took you on the trip to Myrtle for your generosity!

#48 Bbo569

Bbo569

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392170
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Uscbbo
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 AM

My two playing partners are world long drive guys. I can’t even win a long drive in my standing 3some let alone a scramble with them. Although usually they are excluded from the long drive contest which makes sense

#49 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 1101

Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

View PostGMR, on 19 February 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

View PostEKELLY, on 16 February 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

That is VERY kind of you.  I hope he took you on the trip to Myrtle for your generosity!
He offered, I made him take his father. That was part of the deal!.....LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors