Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Lost the long drive...to WHO?!

59 replies to this topic

#1 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:42 AM

To preface this, please don't read the following as bitterness, more just something that happened I thought was funny...  Curious to hear any stories anyone else might have about funny results of these types of contests.

Played in a pairs betterball a week or so ago, and they had a par 3 set up for closest to hole, and a par 5 designated as the long drive hole.  Pretty standard.  Long drive hole is a 550yd par 5 that runs uphill all the way from the teebox (probably plays close to 600yds) with cross-bunkers around the 280 mark.  Never really understood why they chose that hole since it's probably a 3w hole for a super long driver, especially in the summer...but I digress.

Anyway we're playing in the middle of the winter, about 40 degrees out, ground is wet and getting no roll, and the hole happens to be playing into about a 15mph wind on the day in question.  I plan on hitting 3w since I'm not getting home in 2 anyway and it can be penal if you miss wide, but my playing partners goad me into hitting driver. I've been hitting it decently to that point so I decide to give it a rip.  Absolutely pure one and get to about 15 yards short of the bunkers--so about 265 uphill into the wind with no roll.  Partners are hooping and hollering and carrying on saying they couldn't believe how far up there I got, so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.

So long story short we were one of the first groups out and I am not able to wait around for the awards since there are about 15 groups out after us.  We tell the guy in the pro shop that I absolutely nailed one on the long drive hole, and ask him to call us with the results and hold the prize in case I win it (nice £60 bottle of champagne), which he offers to do.

Anyway so next day I see the score results of the contest go up online, but nothing about Closest to the Pin or the Long Drive, so I call into the pro shop to see if I won, or if not who beat me.  Guy remembers me from the previous day and is really nice when I call, and tells me I didn't win the long drive.  I'm a little shocked but I'm not exactly Rory long, so I'm curious and ask him how far out the the guy hit it past me.  He tells me the name of the person and then, "she apparently really got ahold of one."

"She?"  Yes so apparently the long-drive was won by a lady playing off the ladies' tees. Which is great and all, except that on that particular hole the ladies' tees are 110 yards up from the medal tees, meaning anything 160 or better in the fairway had me beat.  I kinda laughed and told the proshop guy that I wasn't aware any ladies had been in the competition.  Turns out she was the only lady in the field...go figure.

Anybody else have any fun stories?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 toophewbirdies

toophewbirdies

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 345557
GolfWRX Likes : 871

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:52 AM

You got played!! ;)

Never seen a long drive hole played, where the women are grouped with the men........... :(

#3 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

View Posttoophewbirdies, on 06 February 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

You got played!! ;)

Never seen a long drive hole played, where the women are grouped with the men........... :(
Neither had I. But I guess with only one woman in the field the choices were to either to DQ her, give her a second prize if she hit the fairway, or do what they did and just let her compete for the same prize with a slight handicap adjustment.

#4 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4750

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

Got a similar one. I played in an event last year that had two long drive holes set up, both par fives. Players 70 and over were allowed to hit from the Gold tees. One of the guys in my group had just turned 70 that day, so he took advantage of this rule. On the second long drive hole, we were playing a 470 yard par 5 (yeah, I know, a drive and wedge for most WRXers). The Gold Tees had it as a 320 yard par 5...
Our guy hit a good drive, but he was nowhere even close to the long drive flag, which was about 60 yards short of the green. That was hit by his 74-year-old mate who was playing a couple of groups up.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

#5 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 1107

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

LOL..well technically, she was the longest on the fairway...rough

Cobra LTD Pro Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
Srixon Z965 4-PW DG 120 S400
RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
Machine LN M6/Ping G2 c67
TM TP5x/Srixon Z-STAR XV

#6 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 06 February 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

Got a similar one. I played in an event last year that had two long drive holes set up, both par fives. Players 70 and over were allowed to hit from the Gold tees. One of the guys in my group had just turned 70 that day, so he took advantage of this rule. On the second long drive hole, we were playing a 470 yard par 5 (yeah, I know, a drive and wedge for most WRXers). The Gold Tees had it as a 320 yard par 5...
Our guy hit a good drive, but he was nowhere even close to the long drive flag, which was about 60 yards short of the green. That was hit by his 74-year-old mate who was playing a couple of groups up.
A 320-yd par 5...that's a first!!! :o

#7 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
GolfWRX Likes : 565

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Sometime ago I joined a "golf club", and their rules are more geared toward social function instead of award to the best in the field.

Their monthly tournament for "long drive" contest has a rule of no single golfer could repeat the title in the same season.  Their claim is for everyone to have a chance instead of the longest few guys hogging the long drive title in each of the tournament.  That is just fine with me but, they also have unreasonable rules ( conjured up by a few in the "board of committee" ). like they will have a house handicap rating over the USGA / GHIN which will reduce the Hdcp index by 1-2 points for the winner and the runner up from each of the tournament.  In other words, they also made the winner difficult to repeat their winning.  This is on top of the forced optional entry of $25 for each of the tournament players besides their green fees and dinner entry fee.

I quite the group after a few years, never was interested in the small group politics and frankly, I think the USGA rules is already too much for weekend golfers without their extra "considerations" which will cause conflict of opinions between the members.
They can have their little piece of turf and I choose to play with the others ......

In your case, the only female competitor in that group probably was a wife or a girl friend of someone in the group, she was the designated winner for the long drive that day and was probably already planning on drinking the champagne before teeing up.  You'd been had.   They should have designated a different hole for the long drive contest or have a separate price for the different flight.

Edited by wkuo3, 06 February 2018 - 08:53 AM.

#8 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1004

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

I tell the story about the longest round of golf I ever played and in it, there are these two guys we got paired up with. One of them was about 5'6, 240 all gut. The day I played with him he sucked hard enough that he could have gotten blood from a turnip. His longest drive that was even playable might have been 180.

Months later guess who was in the last scramble group of the day and won, not only the long drive contest, but closest to the pin as well?
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#9 bazinky

bazinky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:54 AM

Tough break!

At one of my old jobs, one of the executive assistants was a former college softball player turned golfer. She could drive the ball about 220 in the air consistently. She was constantly getting hounded by guys trying to get her on their team for upcoming scrambles. I played in one with her (I generally avoid scrambles, but this was a free day off work). It was literally like having a guy on your team that drives the ball 350 ...
Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Titleist Studio Select Newport 2 - 33"

#10 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:01 AM

View PostMrJones, on 06 February 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

I tell the story about the longest round of golf I ever played and in it, there are these two guys we got paired up with. One of them was about 5'6, 240 all gut. The day I played with him he sucked hard enough that he could have gotten blood from a turnip. His longest drive that was even playable might have been 180.

Months later guess who was in the last scramble group of the day and won, not only the long drive contest, but closest to the pin as well?
Yeah that's just straight cheating, and unfortunately all too common in "just for fun" scrambles... Really annoying when that happens, but why I tend to avoid those types of events unless I just want a fun day out and don't care too much about the results.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

View Postbazinky, on 06 February 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

Tough break!

At one of my old jobs, one of the executive assistants was a former college softball player turned golfer. She could drive the ball about 220 in the air consistently. She was constantly getting hounded by guys trying to get her on their team for upcoming scrambles. I played in one with her (I generally avoid scrambles, but this was a free day off work). It was literally like having a guy on your team that drives the ball 350 ...
I've actually never been in a scramble that was mixed, but it raises a good question about what the proper setup should be.  When you think about it, the yardage difference in tee boxes is meant to make up the next 2 shots for par 4s and 3 shots for par 5s, not just the drive itself.  So really in a mixed scramble it doesn't make all that much sense for the ladies to get such a huge distance advantage, unless all members of the group are of the same gender...

#12 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 11,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 7261

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

Most of the scrambles we play that include women have enough of them playing that they designate CTP and long drive holes just for the women. Although inevitably a guy will write his name on one of the women’s markers somewhere on the course.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#13 pierso2

pierso2

Shooters Shoot

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222023
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 981

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

I was playing in a golf outing last summer and when we got to the long drive hole, everyone in my group was excited to see what we could do. Between myself and one other player in the group, we knew we had a great shot at taking it home (the rest of the outing was mostly there for the beer and I saw about 2 dozen bags with early 90's or earlier clubs). My buddy crunches one so our scramble group is good which means I get the green light to really go after it. I tee it up and make my swing. It flies as straight as I could get it and much to my disbelief, it actually rolled! Normally, I get like 2 yards of roll on a great drive but this thing hit like it landed on a sprinkler head. We get out to the sign for longest drive and look for my ball. Turned out, my ball was 45 yards PAST the current long drive! I sign my name and we measure it. The drive measured 335 on a course where the fairway was longer than the first cut at the US Open. Needless to say, this was a bit of a goat track...

Cut to the end of the death march style round (6 hours later) and they are calling out the winners of closest to the pin and longest drive for the day. They get to mens longest drive and don't call my name. I'm floored! I powder a drive on some of the worst fairways I've ever played and somehow I didn't win? The guy who goes up to claim his prize is about 130 lbs soaking wet wearing a wife-beater and cargo shorts. I'm beyond perplexed. My buddies all look at me like "oh boy what's going to happen?" I just shake my head and they hand the guy a $50 gift card to Home Depot. Not that I needed the gift card or anything but still it's a real jerk move. Then, after the guy gets his prize, 7 people come up to me all of which were in different groups behind me and say "that's bs, you had the longest drive. He couldn't find any fairway let alone get a long drive. When we walked up to the sign, your name was the leader."

Again, it didn't bother me that I didn't win the prize but it bothered me that this guy just pulled a jerk move and EVERYONE knew it. Oh well!
Option 1
Taylormade M4 9.5 Matrix Ozik TP6HDe
Taylormade M2 3HL HZRDUS red
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Edel 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
Adams XTD ti 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2

#14 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

@pierso2  good story.  You really have to wonder what is going through peoples' heads who pull stuff like that. I also just really don't understand how the people in their group let them get away with blatantly lying.

#15 MrJones

MrJones

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

View PostGMR, on 06 February 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

@pierso2  good story.  You really have to wonder what is going through peoples' heads who pull stuff like that. I also just really don't understand how the people in their group let them get away with blatantly lying.
Guys like that convince the ones they're playing with that "everyone cheats" in scrambles and so then that makes it only fair for them to cheat as well. That's why I play in scrambles purely for fun. I know there will always be cheaters that ruin any real competition.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#16 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

Come to think of it that actually reminds me of one golf day I played in through work.  The guys in my group thought I was ultra long (I'm not, but obviously they weren't used to playing with long players).  We get to the long drive hole, and I hit a pretty decent one that looked pretty enough, but I missed it a bit.  Probably got down there about 280 or so.  My playing partners are oohing and ahhing thinking they've just seen something wonderful and I think vicariously taking enjoyment out of what they think they've witnessed.

Well once we get down to my ball we realize that I'm a good 25 yards short of the long drive marker.  Perfectly reasonable, of course.  But next thing I know my playing partners are trying to convince me that whoever put the marker there was clearly cheating and that I should move it back to my ball!  Obviously I told them that was ridiculous, but I honestly think that true 300-320 yard drives seem so incredulous to some people who just aren't used to seeing that kind of length that it somehow reinforces their belief that the only way they would believe that kind of distance is to see it with their own eyes.

#17 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23573

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:55 AM

When I was a really young buck, we used to drive to Colorado from IL to pick up Coors beer.  They had no distribution east of Denver in those days but we knew of this cult classic banquet beer.  On one trip, we stopped at a local watering hole and were playing foosball while quaffing a lager.  A couple of attractive twin young ladies came up to us (foreshadowing because you know attractive young ladies would never come up to me) and wanted to play.  We said we'd play co-ed teams and they declined wanting to play against us.  In those days, we were no slouch playing foosball and spent many a night enjoying free beverages while playing foosball.

Needless to say, in about 10 minutes, the two young ladies beat us 3 games to nil and we never scored a goal.  Reena and Deena (probably fake names) were the Colorado state foosball champs and we went back to Illinois with our lunch squarely handed to us.  At least we had the Coors.

#18 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 30,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 17480

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

View Postbazinky, on 06 February 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

Tough break!

I played something very similar...pretty much driver wedge on every hole...with just a pitch in on a few.
Callaway Rogue
Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º
Callaway Steelhead XR 25º
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º
Callaway "O" Works #7

#19 HatsForBats

HatsForBats

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433112
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 598

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

I have seen it happen when Senior tees were mixed in. I think there was a 120 yard difference in tee locations.

#20 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:00 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 06 February 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

When I was a really young buck, we used to drive to Colorado from IL to pick up Coors beer.  They had no distribution east of Denver in those days but we knew of this cult classic banquet beer.  On one trip, we stopped at a local watering hole and were playing foosball while quaffing a lager.  A couple of attractive twin young ladies came up to us (foreshadowing because you know attractive young ladies would never come up to me) and wanted to play.  We said we'd play co-ed teams and they declined wanting to play against us.  In those days, we were no slouch playing foosball and spent many a night enjoying free beverages while playing foosball.

Needless to say, in about 10 minutes, the two young ladies beat us 3 games to nil and we never scored a goal.  Reena and Deena (probably fake names) were the Colorado state foosball champs and we went back to Illinois with our lunch squarely handed to us.  At least we had the Coors.
Great story.  No idea how it's relevant at all to the thread, but love it! :cheesy:

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 1078

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

View PostGMR, on 06 February 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

To preface this, please don't read the following as bitterness, more just something that happened I thought was funny...  Curious to hear any stories anyone else might have about funny results of these types of contests.

Played in a pairs betterball a week or so ago, and they had a par 3 set up for closest to hole, and a par 5 designated as the long drive hole.  Pretty standard.  Long drive hole is a 550yd par 5 that runs uphill all the way from the teebox (probably plays close to 600yds) with cross-bunkers around the 280 mark.  Never really understood why they chose that hole since it's probably a 3w hole for a super long driver, especially in the summer...but I digress.

Anyway we're playing in the middle of the winter, about 40 degrees out, ground is wet and getting no roll, and the hole happens to be playing into about a 15mph wind on the day in question.  I plan on hitting 3w since I'm not getting home in 2 anyway and it can be penal if you miss wide, but my playing partners goad me into hitting driver. I've been hitting it decently to that point so I decide to give it a rip.  Absolutely pure one and get to about 15 yards short of the bunkers--so about 265 uphill into the wind with no roll.  Partners are hooping and hollering and carrying on saying they couldn't believe how far up there I got, so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.

So long story short we were one of the first groups out and I am not able to wait around for the awards since there are about 15 groups out after us.  We tell the guy in the pro shop that I absolutely nailed one on the long drive hole, and ask him to call us with the results and hold the prize in case I win it (nice 60 bottle of champagne), which he offers to do.

Anyway so next day I see the score results of the contest go up online, but nothing about Closest to the Pin or the Long Drive, so I call into the pro shop to see if I won, or if not who beat me.  Guy remembers me from the previous day and is really nice when I call, and tells me I didn't win the long drive.  I'm a little shocked but I'm not exactly Rory long, so I'm curious and ask him how far out the the guy hit it past me.  He tells me the name of the person and then, "she apparently really got ahold of one."

"She?"  Yes so apparently the long-drive was won by a lady playing off the ladies' tees. Which is great and all, except that on that particular hole the ladies' tees are 110 yards up from the medal tees, meaning anything 160 or better in the fairway had me beat.  I kinda laughed and told the proshop guy that I wasn't aware any ladies had been in the competition.  Turns out she was the only lady in the field...go figure.

Anybody else have any fun stories?

The same thing happened to me when I played on the Golfweek Am Tour several years ago. Twice. Once was a lady, and she had a good 100-110 yard tee box advantage. Beat me by a few yards.

The second time was a guy. The tour was flighted, and tee boxes were based on flights. Champ flight was tips, A and B were 1 up, C and D were 2 up, and ladies were all the way forward. I was in the A flight and the guy in my group was C flight. They had a 40ish yard tee box advantage, and he drove it about 10 yards past me.

I was pissed because they were both cash pots, but what can you do?

Edited by bigred90gt, 06 February 2018 - 01:04 PM.

#22 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,767 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 23573

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

View PostGMR, on 06 February 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 06 February 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

Great story.  No idea how it's relevant at all to the thread, but love it! :cheesy:

Thanks...trying to point out never to underestimate anyone, especially a woman.  Used to date a teaching pro who played from the tips with the guys and rarely shot higher than 75.  She won a lot of money from guys with big egos who insisted on giving her shots.

#23 Mych

Mych

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 698

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

I lost a long drive to a 13 year old the same way. 13 and under were allowed to play from the ladies tees, about an 80 yard difference and uphill from the men's tee box. I was in one of the last groups and crushed one about 20 yards past the previous longest drive, so I figured I had it in the bag. 8th grader who played for his high school team hit one about 240 plus the 80 yard head start and beat me by about 10 yards.
I didn't realize that he was playing the red tees, so I bet the look on my face was priceless when I saw him stand up to get the prize.

Edited by Mych, 06 February 2018 - 02:35 PM.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead

Main set: Callaway Bertha Fusion 10.5*~ Cobra F6 Baffler 4-5w 16.5* ~ Cobra King Utility DI 18.5* ~ Hogan Apex Edge 3-E ~ Mizuno JPX EZ 50, 55 ~ Odyssey Protype #9
6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility DI 18.5 ~ Hogan Apex Edge Forged 5/7/9 ~ Mizuno JPX EZ 55 ~ Odyssey Protype #9 ~ Silo Club Carrier

#24 ThinkingPlus

ThinkingPlus

Tour Winner

• 990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 449758
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 992

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

I've been everyone's favorite scramble partner for quite awhile.  Catch the right course with easy forward tees and it can be a fun day for everyone involved.  LOL. Co-ed long drive is not appropriate.  Too hard to find a hole that comes close to the proper yardage delta and I am not sure if anything semi-official even exists for determining that yardage delta.
Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
Irons: Maltby DBM 5i w/TT XP95 R-flex, Callaway Apex 6i - AW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Sand Wedge: Mizuno S5 54/08 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM5 58/07 w/True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow

#25 The Mad Bomber

The Mad Bomber

I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80811
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

This could have been avoided.
#SayNoToScrambles
#BanTheScram

915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper
Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link

#26 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostThe Mad Bomber, on 07 February 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

#SayNoToScrambles
#BanTheScram
Except if you had read the original post you'd have seen that it wasn't in a scramble, but rather a pairs betterball.

#27 The Mad Bomber

The Mad Bomber

I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80811
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

View PostGMR, on 07 February 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

View PostThe Mad Bomber, on 07 February 2018 - 09:52 AM, said:

#SayNoToScrambles
#BanTheScram
Except if you had read the original post you'd have seen that it wasn't in a scramble, but rather a pairs betterball.

That's fair. I didn't read it closely.
915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper
Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link

#28 kozubs

kozubs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176704
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

I was in a scramble with my coworkers a few years back.  We get to a long drive hole on a par 4.  I nail one down the middle and pass the marker by a good 60 yards (I caught the down slope) and we were the 2nd last group through.  I promptly write my name down feeling odd that I was so far past the marker.  Then I see in really faint pencil (Ladies) on the top of the card.  It was very faint.  I quickly scratched out my name out and put the marker back where it was.

The funny thing was, I was the 6th name and not one name was a woman's.  During the awards, they gave the price to the guy but didn't mention it was ladies.  

The worst part of the story is that now, every time we pass the ladies long drive card, my co-workers tell my to write my name down.  I should have taken the prize seeing as I sill have the ridicule every time we play.  

I bet this happens more often than not.

BTW, my wife once won a long drive that didn't distinguish between men's and women.  I don't know what advantage she had, but she gets it out there about 190 pretty consistently.  I bet there were some PO'd guys in that crowd.

#29 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4673

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:14 AM

I was asked to play in a scramble about 5-6 years ago.  Other than the story I get to tell, I regret it to this very day.    Not my kind of thing but it was a friend’s company event and I felt obliged.   Everyone on the course was pretty drunk within an hour of starting.   I was drinking but not at the pace of some of these people.   We all finished up and they started handing out awards.   Our team won with a -12 round.  We got booed of course.  Second place was 4 under.    

When it came to the long drive, they announced the winner.   When the guy (his name was Ray) went up there to claim his prize, someone yelled out, “Ray f-ing cheated, and I have it on my camera.”    The guy was filming on an adjacent hole and caught Ray on video running up and writing his name on the marker in the fairway.   The guy on the microphone handing out the awards, bombed himself, took a full beer and threw it in Ray’s face and called him a f-ing liar.   A pretty good shouting match continued until Ray’s buddy and the Club’s GM went up there to break it up.  That’s when it got interesting.   The guy with the mic  told everyone there as he pointed to Ray’s buddy, “I know Ray is a f-ing cheater ‘cause he f-ed HIS wife!”  Three people had to break it up before a fight broke out.   Some people started laughing – others were in complete shock.  Our team was just sitting there wondering how we got there.  There was more yelling until finally we were all asked to leave.

#30 MrJones

MrJones

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

View PostFerguson, on 07 February 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

I was asked to play in a scramble about 5-6 years ago.  Other than the story I get to tell, I regret it to this very day. Not my kind of thing but it was a friend’s company event and I felt obliged.   Everyone on the course was pretty drunk within an hour of starting.   I was drinking but not at the pace of some of these people.   We all finished up and they started handing out awards.   Our team won with a -12 round.  We got booed of course.  Second place was 4 under.

When it came to the long drive, they announced the winner.   When the guy (his name was Ray) went up there to claim his prize, someone yelled out, “Ray f-ing cheated, and I have it on my camera.” The guy was filming on an adjacent hole and caught Ray on video running up and writing his name on the marker in the fairway.   The guy on the microphone handing out the awards, bombed himself, took a full beer and threw it in Ray’s face and called him a f-ing liar.   A pretty good shouting match continued until Ray’s buddy and the Club’s GM went up there to break it up.  That’s when it got interesting.   The guy with the mic  told everyone there as he pointed to Ray’s buddy, “I know Ray is a f-ing cheater ‘cause he f-ed HIS wife!”  Three people had to break it up before a fight broke out.   Some people started laughing – others were in complete shock.  Our team was just sitting there wondering how we got there.  There was more yelling until finally we were all asked to leave.

This sounds way more enjoyable than any post scramble award ceremony I've ever been to. I'm jealous.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
TM RAC MB 3-PW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors