Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Your Thoughts: What do I shoot this year?


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

I started last year shooting over 100, and I was down to 88 toward the end of the year before a back injury.  Just a bit of fun.  I have no idea what the actual answer will be...  Truthfully I want to shoot in the high 70's more than once.  I like to aim big...

Some context and data points:

> Still have back issues, but well into the recovery period
> I'm a short hitter (220 driver carry, maybe), but have started SuperSpeed training
> I don't get a lot of time to play (my goal is 9 or 18 holes every week)
> I do like to practice.  Will be at the range 2-3 times a week, 2-3 buckets a visit
> In-to-out swing, though I worked very hard to reduce the severity of this in the last season
> I love to practice chipping (have no chipping green at my course but practice in the basement)
> I'm a mediocre putter and detest practicing it.  I'm trying to get a routine, but a lack of enjoyment is there
> My course management was decent last year.  I'm not wild off the tee and don't mind taking a 3 wood or hybrid if it's not a good driving day.  I'd rather get to a long par 4 in 3 than be in the trees.

Would love to hear people's thoughts.  Additional questions welcome.

I'll use Game Golf Live to track rounds this year and will report back on progress.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10261

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

Impossible to assess, but I think breaking 80 is a very reasonable goal, and from someone else who detests practicing putting, you will need to get over that! Good luck!

Edited by Hawkeye77, 02 February 2018 - 01:57 PM.


2

#3 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 860

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

I agree with Hawkeye, shooting in the 70s seems reasonable.  You don't say what you practice while you're hitting 2 or 3 buckets in a day.  Simply whacking balls is exercise, its not practice.  Decide on what you're trying to do, and do it.  Practice slow swings, drills, whatever it takes to get better.  I practice typically twice a week, and never for more than about 45 minutes, that's about as long as I can concentrate properly.  Find some time to practice putting.  You can spend 10 or 15 minutes doing specific drills, and improve a lot, it doesn't take the same kind of time that improving your full swing takes.  Use your Game Golf and the strokes-gained analysis to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, and improve the weakest parts of your game.  Keep working, but with a specific purpose, and you'll have a great season.

3

#4 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 02 February 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Impossible to assess, but I think breaking 80 is a very reasonable goal, and from someone else who detests practicing putting, you will need to get over that! Good luck!

Thanks a lot, Hawkeye!  I very much agree regarding putting.  For me it will be like taking medicine but it needs to happen.

I did buy an alignment mirror and putting gate recently in the hope that they will encourage me to practice putting with purpose.  Last year I'd basically just practice lag puts.  Almost nothing practiced within 10 feet.  That needs to change!

4

#5 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10261

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

View PostPorscheFan, on 02 February 2018 - 10:52 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 02 February 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Impossible to assess, but I think breaking 80 is a very reasonable goal, and from someone else who detests practicing putting, you will need to get over that! Good luck!

Thanks a lot, Hawkeye!  I very much agree regarding putting.  For me it will be like taking medicine but it needs to happen.

I did buy an alignment mirror and putting gate recently in the hope that they will encourage me to practice putting with purpose.  Last year I'd basically just practice lag puts.  Almost nothing practiced within 10 feet.  That needs to change!

LOL, the post just above you had a lot more good advice but I watched a friend a few years ago work his way pretty steadily from shooting 50s for 9, to 40s for 9 to now breaking 80 a few times a summer.  Lots of play and some lessons.  If he practiced, he'd be more consistent, but would rather just play and is mostly happy with his results to the point he really doesn't work on much.  I agree, speed, speed, speed on putts, but I also need the patience to practice 2-3-4-5-6-7-8 footers as well, plenty of ways to mix it up, just have to make the time!  What progress I've made from around a pretty steady 12 or a bit more once I started keeping a handicap to 8.6 now and lower at times was lessons and practice.  Grooved a swing that worked (but an early releasing relying on coordination and timing to save me swing) and got better at short game.  Made some changes (still trying to make them stick) a couple of years ago to hopefully get to better ball striking and have a swing that won't have me in traction as I get older, and have kind of stagnated handicap-wise, but even though inconsistent, love the results when the things I am supposed to be working on come together (practice has been the issue, can't lie about that).

Hope you get some more responses, nothing wrong with everyone getting to scratch, but a little refreshing to see a more modest goal from time to time and you aren't looking to achieve overnight.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 02 February 2018 - 11:09 PM.


5

#6 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

View Postdavep043, on 02 February 2018 - 03:01 PM, said:

I agree with Hawkeye, shooting in the 70s seems reasonable.  You don't say what you practice while you're hitting 2 or 3 buckets in a day.  Simply whacking balls is exercise, its not practice.  Decide on what you're trying to do, and do it.  Practice slow swings, drills, whatever it takes to get better.  I practice typically twice a week, and never for more than about 45 minutes, that's about as long as I can concentrate properly.  Find some time to practice putting.  You can spend 10 or 15 minutes doing specific drills, and improve a lot, it doesn't take the same kind of time that improving your full swing takes.  Use your Game Golf and the strokes-gained analysis to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses, and improve the weakest parts of your game.  Keep working, but with a specific purpose, and you'll have a great season.

Hey, that's great encouragement - thank you!!

Very good question regarding range practice.  I'm probably on average 1.5 buckets on pitches and chips, 1 bucket on mid irons and hybrid, and half a bucket on 3 wood and driver.

I try to alter height with wedges to add some variation.  Examples from my first range session of the year below.  I probably need to extend that concept through the bag, but find myself obsessing about getting my distance back a lot of the time (ego).

I agree that practice with purpose is key.  Since I have more time to hit the range than I do to play, I had issues last year with occasionally hitting fat on the course and wasting shots.  Since mats don't help with that I made a homemade 'fat plate' from a sheet of lexan to use on range mats.

I also bought a FairwayPro divot simulator that I'll keep in the trunk of my car and use as much as possible at the range instead of hitting off of their mats.  It punishes fat shots by killing ball speed, so I'm hoping that will also drill some of my weaknesses out.

IMG_5588.PNG
IMG_5589.PNG

Edited by PorscheFan, 02 February 2018 - 11:10 PM.


6

#7 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 860

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

One more suggestion that helped me, you might want to pick up a copy of Lowest Score Wins.  The book discusses a lot of decision making, including evaluating your own game,  planning your practice, and selecting the right shots on the course.  I've been playing for close to 50 years, with a single-digit handicap for the last 20 years, and I still learned a lot from reading it.  There's very little advice about swinging the club.  You can order it here: http://lowestscorewins.com/

Full disclosure, the author of that book also runs a golf website.

7

#8 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4638

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

You will find more enjoyment with putting and practicing it when more start to fall.

Change things up a bit, do something different.

Hit 50 putts, one handed, with each hand, then hit 50 with both.  After hitting 100 putts one handed, when you put 2 on the putter, just seems easy.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Custom V-Line S Tank
TM TP5X

8

#9 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10261

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

Another good one is The Practice Manual. https://www.amazon.c...0_&dpSrc=detail

9

#10 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

View Postdavep043, on 03 February 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

One more suggestion that helped me, you might want to pick up a copy of Lowest Score Wins.  The book discusses a lot of decision making, including evaluating your own game,  planning your practice, and selecting the right shots on the course.  I've been playing for close to 50 years, with a single-digit handicap for the last 20 years, and I still learned a lot from reading it.  There's very little advice about swinging the club.  You can order it here: http://lowestscorewins.com/

Full disclosure, the author of that book also runs a golf website.

Thanks much, Davep.  I really appreciate the advice, and I'm sure this book contains lots of it.  I have no doubt the author is a talented guy.

Full disclosure, I used to belong to the author's site.  I somehow got on how wrong side and he followed me around his own site negatively commenting on my posts.  I got tired of it very quickly and wrote a considered reply about how he's a talented guy but would be better served checking his ego at the door.  That post was not replied to but rather mysteriously deleted from the site about 5 minutes later as if it had never existed.  I'm sure he knows a lot about golf, but I believe he has a lot still to learn about life.

Shortly after that I found GolfWRX and never looked back.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

View PostWarrick, on 03 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

You will find more enjoyment with putting and practicing it when more start to fall

You know, I bet you have something there.  I think I like practicing lag puts because there's an expectation that I won't make them, so there's only upside if a few go in.  I don't like practicing short puts because the expectation is that most should go in, so I feel like a loser when they don't.  There's definitely a bit of ego there.

It's snowing here, so I'm going to try this 50-50 drill today on my basement putting green.

My putting's like this: I two putt almost everything.  I may have eliminated most 3 puts, but I fail to convert most 1-puts... even if I only, say, 10 feet.  I need to start converting much more of those.

11

#12 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 03 February 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Another good one is The Practice Manual. https://www.amazon.c...38;dpSrc=detail

Thanks much.  I just read the free Amazon pages.  This may be worth a try.  This seems to be in the Pia Nilsson style of practicing with a purpose and replicating course situations in practice.

12

#13 davep043

davep043

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Joined: 12/20/2017
  • Location:Reston, VA, and Southern Pines, NC
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 860

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:



My putting's like this: I two putt almost everything.  I may have eliminated most 3 puts, but I fail to convert most 1-puts... even if I only, say, 10 feet.  I need to start converting much more of those.
If you've virtually eliminated 3-putts, you're a pretty good putter.  Its important to remember that from 10 feet the PGA pros make about 38%, just over 1 of 3, and less than 1 in 4 from 15 feet.  That should be your goal, to get near the PGA average.  Don't be too hard on yourself, you'll like putting more.

And that guy has a well-deserved reputation for occasionally being a jerk online.  I think he's mellowed a little bit over the past couple of years, and in person, he's a pretty decent guy, and obviously very knowledgeable.

13

#14 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,036 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4638

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:05 PM

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostWarrick, on 03 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

You will find more enjoyment with putting and practicing it when more start to fall

You know, I bet you have something there.  I think I like practicing lag puts because there's an expectation that I won't make them, so there's only upside if a few go in.  I don't like practicing short puts because the expectation is that most should go in, so I feel like a loser when they don't.  There's definitely a bit of ego there.

It's snowing here, so I'm going to try this 50-50 drill today on my basement putting green.

My putting's like this: I two putt almost everything.  I may have eliminated most 3 puts, but I fail to convert most 1-puts... even if I only, say, 10 feet.  I need to start converting much more of those.

That is where I was a few years ago with putting switched to left hand low, never looked back, never putted better.  It just seems so much easier to start the ball on the intended line, and that is pretty crucial inside 10ft.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Custom V-Line S Tank
TM TP5X

14

#15 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

View Postdavep043, on 04 February 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:



My putting's like this: I two putt almost everything.  I may have eliminated most 3 puts, but I fail to convert most 1-puts... even if I only, say, 10 feet.  I need to start converting much more of those.
If you've virtually eliminated 3-putts, you're a pretty good putter.  Its important to remember that from 10 feet the PGA pros make about 38%, just over 1 of 3, and less than 1 in 4 from 15 feet.  That should be your goal, to get near the PGA average.  Don't be too hard on yourself, you'll like putting more.

And that guy has a well-deserved reputation for occasionally being a jerk online.  I think he's mellowed a little bit over the past couple of years, and in person, he's a pretty decent guy, and obviously very knowledgeable.

Thanks.  I've definitely improved over the last year, but I feel like my local has relatively easy greens.  Decent condition and with very modest break.

That's a great point on the stats, and maybe 25% should be my aim for the year.

My MO at the end of last year was short, accurate drives which left me with too much club for the approach shot given my skill level (often 6 iron).  I'd miss the green maybe half the time and go chip-putt-putt.  Otherwise I'd GIR and go putt-putt for the par.  My approach shots lack precision with the types of irons I'm often hitting in there...


15

#16 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostWarrick, on 04 February 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostWarrick, on 03 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

You will find more enjoyment with putting and practicing it when more start to fall

You know, I bet you have something there.  I think I like practicing lag puts because there's an expectation that I won't make them, so there's only upside if a few go in.  I don't like practicing short puts because the expectation is that most should go in, so I feel like a loser when they don't.  There's definitely a bit of ego there.

It's snowing here, so I'm going to try this 50-50 drill today on my basement putting green.

My putting's like this: I two putt almost everything.  I may have eliminated most 3 puts, but I fail to convert most 1-puts... even if I only, say, 10 feet.  I need to start converting much more of those.

That is where I was a few years ago with putting switched to left hand low, never looked back, never putted better.  It just seems so much easier to start the ball on the intended line, and that is pretty crucial inside 10ft.

So, I just tried a practice run of that drill, but with 20 shots each.  I was surprised at how good putts were with my lead hand, and equally surprised at how bad they were with my trail hand.  Going back to two hands was VERY confidence boosting!

16

#17 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10261

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 03 February 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Another good one is The Practice Manual. https://www.amazon.c...38;dpSrc=detail

Thanks much.  I just read the free Amazon pages.  This may be worth a try.  This seems to be in the Pia Nilsson style of practicing with a purpose and replicating course situations in practice.

A word of caution, I think the Nilsson/Marriott book is a lot better (but more mental game and PSR), but a lot of folks really like The Practice Manual.  It's a lot about the "how" of learning (if you are into that) and can get a little obtuse IMHO at times and a bit rambling, but there are many parts of it I have marked and reread and got a lot out of (and other parts I just don't look at pretty much ever now). Just don't know how you like your books or like to learn. The first part about ball flight laws and face to path you can find all over the place, but it's a nice handy reference, and well done.  Good insights to aid in figuring out what to practice and how to evaluate.

A nice, short little book I think is great for PSR/focus is "Tour Mentality" by Nick O'Hern.  More "story" and anecdotes, but really good on PSR/practice/play mentality in a small package.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 04 February 2018 - 12:59 PM.


17

#18 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 10261

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 03 February 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

One more suggestion that helped me, you might want to pick up a copy of Lowest Score Wins.  The book discusses a lot of decision making, including evaluating your own game,  planning your practice, and selecting the right shots on the course.  I've been playing for close to 50 years, with a single-digit handicap for the last 20 years, and I still learned a lot from reading it.  There's very little advice about swinging the club.  You can order it here: http://lowestscorewins.com/

Full disclosure, the author of that book also runs a golf website.

Thanks much, Davep.  I really appreciate the advice, and I'm sure this book contains lots of it.  I have no doubt the author is a talented guy.

Full disclosure, I used to belong to the author's site.  I somehow got on how wrong side and he followed me around his own site negatively commenting on my posts.  I got tired of it very quickly and wrote a considered reply about how he's a talented guy but would be better served checking his ego at the door.  That post was not replied to but rather mysteriously deleted from the site about 5 minutes later as if it had never existed.  I'm sure he knows a lot about golf, but I believe he has a lot still to learn about life.

Shortly after that I found GolfWRX and never looked back.

HaHa - same reason I haven't bought it, but many do really think it's good.  Never got in "trouble" over there, but ended up here years ago because at that time (and now) the information about clubs/shaft/tech was so much better here and although well regulated, it didn't seem to have the "attitude" the other site had from a moderation perspective, although his way of dealing with certain folks was certainly entertaining at times (figuring this "boatright" must have come from somewhere, and sure enough see he decided to come here from there, looked to have been a handful, lol). No question he runs his site with his personal stamp on it, which is his prerogative.  

Back to your progress . . . . .

18

#19 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 04 February 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 03 February 2018 - 10:58 AM, said:

Another good one is The Practice Manual. https://www.amazon.c...38;dpSrc=detail

Thanks much.  I just read the free Amazon pages.  This may be worth a try.  This seems to be in the Pia Nilsson style of practicing with a purpose and replicating course situations in practice.

A word of caution, I think the Nilsson/Marriott book is a lot better (but more mental game and PSR), but a lot of folks really like The Practice Manual.  It's a lot about the "how" of learning (if you are into that) and can get a little obtuse IMHO at times and a bit rambling, but there are many parts of it I have marked and reread and got a lot out of (and other parts I just don't look at pretty much ever now). Just don't know how you like your books or like to learn. The first part about ball flight laws and face to path you can find all over the place, but it's a nice handy reference, and well done.  Good insights to aid in figuring out what to practice and how to evaluate.

A nice, short little book I think is great for PSR/focus is "Tour Mentality" by Nick O'Hern.  More "story" and anecdotes, but really good on PSR/practice/play mentality in a small package.

You've given me something to think about... I'll be looking at "Tour Mentality" as well.

I'm not a huge reader, but I do enjoy that style.  I listen to the Golf Science Lab and Game Like Training podcasts on my drives and they're of that similar style.  It would probably suit me.

19

#20 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 04 February 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

View PostPorscheFan, on 04 February 2018 - 11:29 AM, said:

View Postdavep043, on 03 February 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

One more suggestion that helped me, you might want to pick up a copy of Lowest Score Wins.  The book discusses a lot of decision making, including evaluating your own game,  planning your practice, and selecting the right shots on the course.  I've been playing for close to 50 years, with a single-digit handicap for the last 20 years, and I still learned a lot from reading it.  There's very little advice about swinging the club.  You can order it here: http://lowestscorewins.com/

Full disclosure, the author of that book also runs a golf website.

Thanks much, Davep.  I really appreciate the advice, and I'm sure this book contains lots of it.  I have no doubt the author is a talented guy.

Full disclosure, I used to belong to the author's site.  I somehow got on how wrong side and he followed me around his own site negatively commenting on my posts.  I got tired of it very quickly and wrote a considered reply about how he's a talented guy but would be better served checking his ego at the door.  That post was not replied to but rather mysteriously deleted from the site about 5 minutes later as if it had never existed.  I'm sure he knows a lot about golf, but I believe he has a lot still to learn about life.

Shortly after that I found GolfWRX and never looked back.

HaHa - same reason I haven't bought it, but many do really think it's good.  Never got in "trouble" over there, but ended up here years ago because at that time (and now) the information about clubs/shaft/tech was so much better here and although well regulated, it didn't seem to have the "attitude" the other site had from a moderation perspective, although his way of dealing with certain folks was certainly entertaining at times (figuring this "boatright" must have come from somewhere, and sure enough see he decided to come here from there, looked to have been a handful, lol). No question he runs his site with his personal stamp on it, which is his prerogative.  

Back to your progress . . . . .

That's funny!  Good context.  I kept thinking 'How does this guy have time to follow me around, just because I don't agree with people who don't practice getting on a golf course and spraying it sideways 300 yards?'  I felt special, but in all the wrong ways...

So, I'm definitely looking forward to using Game Golf Live and getting raw stats on my rounds.  I know my general weaknesses, but have zero record keeping or recollection on where my typical misses are, how far I truly drive on a narrow fairway, etc.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 thesamwise

thesamwise

    A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176152
  • Joined: 04/19/2012
  • Location:Oahu
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

I have a suggestion that might help make your putting practice time more impactful and might help you make more one putts.

Get one of those eyeline putting mirrors. It helps in so many ways, and my putting is always sharper after a session with one of those.

30 minute putting session-20 with mirror, 10 without, and you're done.

Good luck! I'm also trying hard to get under 80 this season.

21

#22 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

View Postthesamwise, on 04 February 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

I have a suggestion that might help make your putting practice time more impactful and might help you make more one putts.

Get one of those eyeline putting mirrors. It helps in so many ways, and my putting is always sharper after a session with one of those.

30 minute putting session-20 with mirror, 10 without, and you're done.

Good luck! I'm also trying hard to get under 80 this season.


Thanks!  I actually picked one up a few weeks ago as part of my attempt to get serious about putting.  It's packed in my suitcase for my travels this week, as it's one of those things I can use in my hotel room and should get some benefit from.

Breaking 80 would be a huge milestone to me, and no doubt to you too.  Thank you, and good luck!!

22

#23 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

Update.  I’ve been using the Eyeline for putting in my hotel.  It’s definitely helping with setup, and with driving out subtle shifts that I make in alignment and club path.  Still lots of work to do.

50-50 drill has also been helpful.  Can’t wait for the local putting greens to open up in the Spring.  Practicing still feels like taking medicine.

I really wanted to know how my swing was doing so I took a GolfTec lesson for both fine tuning and as a chance to get on GC2.

I struggle with their approach.  Even though I said I was taking one lesson for fine tuning and that I didn’t want a ‘pretty swing’ they tried to re-architect my entire swing.  They made some very good points, but I really want to avoid chasing the perfect swing right now.

I got some time to hit about 20 balls on GC2 before the instructor was ready.  It was set up for a 140 yard pin.  Generally encouraging:
> General mild draw - not crazy
> Had to take 8 iron, which means my old 150 yard club is currently my 140 yard club.  I need to get over that.
> Only 4 shots missed green: three short-left in a bunker in front of the tucked pin.  One slight push right to the fringe approx.. 52 feet from the pin.
> One shot was 2’10” from the flag and one was 3’2” from the flag which was a confidence-booster as I'm never that closer
> Bigger confidence-booster was that the majority weren't real close but were functional shots that hit green!

Of course, after that I had my junky swing deconstructed…  Ho-hum.

23

#24 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

    Traj like Minaj

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
  • Joined: 02/24/2011
  • Location:Baltimore
  • Handicap:2ish
GolfWRX Likes : 18693

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

88 to 79 in a year is a tall order. Those strokes don't start falling off so easily as you get closer to par. You pick up a couple of doubles and all of a sudden you need to play 16 holes in about 3 over par.

The two biggest factors in whether you can get under 80 are probably. . .

1) How tough the course is.
2) How often you play.

Long term, breaking 80 regularly on a variety of tracks, yeah, you just gotta get better all over. Gonna have to hit more greens, make more birdies, fewer 3 putts, etc etc. No one component is going to do it.
Ping G25 10.5º
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Sauce : tour
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/12º M-grind
TM Ghost Spider Si 32

24

#25 SomedayScratch

SomedayScratch

    MN Golf Nut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455894
  • Joined: 02/20/2017
  • Location:Minnesota
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

Practice putting 10-15 minutes a day. It isn't the ideal amount, but given that you hate it, its a realistic amount to stick with. Better than practicing for an hour once a week.


25

#26 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

View PostTheCityGame, on 13 February 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

88 to 79 in a year is a tall order. Those strokes don't start falling off so easily as you get closer to par. You pick up a couple of doubles and all of a sudden you need to play 16 holes in about 3 over par.

The two biggest factors in whether you can get under 80 are probably. . .

1) How tough the course is.
2) How often you play.

Long term, breaking 80 regularly on a variety of tracks, yeah, you just gotta get better all over. Gonna have to hit more greens, make more birdies, fewer 3 putts, etc etc. No one component is going to do it.

That's a fair assessment.  In response to your points:

1) My local isn't tough.  Easy greens, but it's tree-lined and many holes (including tree placement) are set up for faders/slicers.  I draw the ball, which means I'm drawing over some trees off the tee, or even taking a hybrid or iron.
2) Last year was only 9 holes a week.  Decent amount of practice, though.  Goal this year is 27 holes a week.  That will be tough to achieve.

I believe I need either 20 yards more off the tee, or much better approaches.  Both would be a game-changer.
I want to 1-putt 3 greens per round.

26

#27 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

View PostSomedayScratch, on 13 February 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Practice putting 10-15 minutes a day. It isn't the ideal amount, but given that you hate it, its a realistic amount to stick with. Better than practicing for an hour once a week.

Thanks - that's exactly my approach!  A lot of that will be on hotel room carpets, but it's something at least.

I have a killer laser alignment / granola box setup for hotel rooms.  Odd but effective...

27



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors