Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 4 votes

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)


864 replies to this topic

#841 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 24307

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

 nohny noke, on 08 November 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

 DavePelz4, on 07 November 2018 - 12:14 PM, said:

Last Saturday, which was possibly the last round of the season, featured 9 SL iron shots from 185 and in.  7 of 9 were converted to a GIR, one on the fringe short and 1 long.  The amazing part is how straight the shots flew.  

Still struggling with the hybrids and they won't go back into the bag until dome season...which could begin on Saturday.

Nice playing. Thanks for the update.

Could you expound on the problems with your hybrids? Is it contact, direction, etc.?

Here's my question for the SL players out there- does single-length make the hybrid less important?  I understand that hybrids do help to elevate the ball and may have a higher MOI (though maybe not by much and not detectable in shot result). I'm not sold on a hybrid's superiority out of the rough, at least not due to the wideness of the sole helping to glide the club through grass. Does the improved contact SL promotes negate the forgiveness of hybrids?

Is it more of a benefit (to those who have the swing speed) to have more identical looking/feeling clubs in one's set?  I realize this is thoroughly up to the individual player's swing and preferences, but I'm curious what people's experiences have been.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, I've been pleased overall.

Hybrids have been in my bag for probably 12 years now and as an old guy, I played a 3 to 6 or sometimes 7.  Putting a 5 and 6 iron in the bag has been a far more simple transition than I imagined and they're SO easy to hit. The 5/6 both have wider soles and have worked well the few times they were hit from the rough.

The 3/4h just seem short. It's probably mental as opposed to physical.  The Arccos data shows the 5i going on average, 187 while the 3h only 181 and the 4h 185.  They do go straight but seem a bit higher trajectory.  Still on a relatively small sample size but there just isn't enough of a distance gap.  As mentioned, I'm going to work on them in the dome and see if I can adjust because I really like the concept of the SL.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#842 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297457
  • Joined: 02/17/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

 nohny noke, on 08 November 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:


Here's my question for the SL players out there- does single-length make the hybrid less important?

I'm assuming you mean a single-length hybrid.

The answer is both "yes" and "no." The SL hybrids are designed to maintain distance gaps for people with slower swing speeds, substituting for irons with the same numbers, but they don't help all that much. And if your swing speed is sufficient, they're merely an option. Personally, I never considered the Sterling 4-hybrid, opting for the 4-iron instead. If one's swing speed is slow enough, even the 4-hybrid won't save it and one should start the SL set at 5- or 6-iron. (Those players benefit from traditional hybrids.)
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
2W: TM Mini Driver
3H: TM Rocketballz
Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-GW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy SW (56 degrees) and LW (64 degrees)
Putter: Happy by Brainstorm Golf (Mallet)
Ball: Snell MTB Red

2

#843 Wdwfreak

Wdwfreak

    Golf Pro - Wisconsin

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124448
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
  • Ebay ID:Wdwfreak67
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:15 AM

Hey there I'm guessing this hs been asked but I'm tempted to try some single length and the $1300 price tag for custom Cobra forged is not good...

I was looking at maybe getting a stock set used or cheap and reshafting. I watched a golf wrx YouTube and I know he used graphite full set and tip and butt trimmed them to length. Have you guys had better luck with all 7 iron shafts or a full set butt trimmed to length? Specifically I was thinking DGx100 for this build.
Taylormade M3 460 8.5 HZRDUS T1100 75X
Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 8TX
Titleist 716 T-MB Graphite Design AD-DI 95x
Titleist AP2 4-6 TT DG x100 MB 7-9 TT DG x100
Vokey SM7 46F TT DG x100
50F, 55S, 60M TT DG s400
Slighter slant neck Scotty Cameron Futura x5 35"

3

#844 nohny noke

nohny noke

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165817
  • Joined: 02/24/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 880

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

 Rich Douglas, on 08 November 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

 nohny noke, on 08 November 2018 - 10:55 AM, said:

Here's my question for the SL players out there- does single-length make the hybrid less important?

I'm assuming you mean a single-length hybrid.

The answer is both "yes" and "no." The SL hybrids are designed to maintain distance gaps for people with slower swing speeds, substituting for irons with the same numbers, but they don't help all that much. And if your swing speed is sufficient, they're merely an option. Personally, I never considered the Sterling 4-hybrid, opting for the 4-iron instead. If one's swing speed is slow enough, even the 4-hybrid won't save it and one should start the SL set at 5- or 6-iron. (Those players benefit from traditional hybrids.)

Thanks for weighing in, Rich.  Yes, I meant SL hybrid.

I've been a hybrid player for so long that it's tough (for me) to imagine hitting an iron better than a hybrid below 25* or so.  I have Sterling low-loft iron heads on the bench; I suppose I'll shaft 'em up and do some testing instead of assuming that a hybrid would be better for me.  I can see hitting an iron straighter, but I'm concerned about launch and descent angle.  But maybe I'd primarily use the 4i from the tee on tight holes, so lower runners would be preferable.  

I guess we'll see...

4

#845 BestGrips

BestGrips

    Reformed Club Ho....

  • Sponsors
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 283086
  • Joined: 11/06/2013
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:4.1
  • Ebay ID:genuineleathergolf
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:01 AM

I'm still going strong with the Edel SL after about 18 months. I'm gonna put the SL sand wedge in the bag and carry a 57* digger grind wedge for bunker shots, chips ans flops where a more aggressive leading edge is required. The SL wedges are just too easy to hit, edpecially half shots and bump and runs.

WITB:
9* G400 Max w/ Xcalibur TSL Tour Stiff and Custom MicroPerf Golf Grip
14* Callaway XR 16 Pro w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Red 75 6.0 and Custom Christmas Golf Grip
3-GW Edel SLS-01 w/ Paderson SL 95g Stiff and alternating Patriotic and Augusta Leather Golf Grips
55* Edel Come and Take It TRP Handmade w/ KBS Tour Wedge Stiff and Come and Take It Golf Grip
59* Edel PNR Handmade w/ KBS Tour Wedge Stiff and Augusta Leather Golf Grip
Artisan Golf #0036 0217 w/ Zach Use Only Putter Grip or 0318 w/ Prototype Leather Putter Grip

BestGrips is a second generation, underdog golf company making genuine leather golf grips, putter grips, Puttershoes® and headcovers in the US of A. We are big fans of one off custom work and not afraid of hard work. In the market for game changing grips that combine new with old, performance with looks, and are made right here in the US of A? Then look no further than BestGrips.com! Follow us on twitter - @bestgrips!

Use coupon code "wrx15" at checkout on www.bestgrips.com and get 15% off.


All grips and headcovers are handmade in Conroe, Texas.


5

#846 disco111

disco111

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386826
  • Joined: 07/19/2015
  • Location:Oklahoma City, OK
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:38 AM

For anyone interested in SL irons, Giga golf has a great sale on used sets now. Just ordered a set with "A" shafts 5-SW and with shipping was $73. Can't beat that price for giving SL's a try.

6

#847 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297457
  • Joined: 02/17/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:28 PM

I've played Sterlings for 2 years now. I'm totally sold and I'll never, ever go back. I play 4I through GW, opting for traditional SW and LW. About 6 months ago I decided to try the new Sterling SW and LW. They were (and are) great for full and less-than-full shots from the fairway. But I've continued to struggle with them on lobs and sand shots. They're a full 2 inches longer than my traditional SW and LW. As such, you're a long way from the ball. If you choke down to play those shots, you can't open the clubface without bringing in the toe. (The lie angle is too flat.) You're left with a choice: choke down but keep the club face square or play it at full length and open the face as needed. You simply cannot do both.

I put them away for a few months and recently broke them back out. I still can't put them to use on lobs and sand shots--that simply hasn't gotten better. But I love the SW from the fairway on all swings so much I don't want to lose it. So I'm going to take out the LW and replace it with my traditional LW, and then use that for lobs and sand shots. But the bounce isn't as pronounced as with a sand wedge, so some bunker shots are still difficult.

Tom fooled around with some SL woods, but he couldn't get the driver to work. Thank goodness! :)
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
2W: TM Mini Driver
3H: TM Rocketballz
Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-GW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy SW (56 degrees) and LW (64 degrees)
Putter: Happy by Brainstorm Golf (Mallet)
Ball: Snell MTB Red

7

#848 nohny noke

nohny noke

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165817
  • Joined: 02/24/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 880

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:33 AM

 Rich Douglas, on 09 November 2018 - 09:28 PM, said:

I've played Sterlings for 2 years now. I'm totally sold and I'll never, ever go back. I play 4I through GW, opting for traditional SW and LW. About 6 months ago I decided to try the new Sterling SW and LW. They were (and are) great for full and less-than-full shots from the fairway. But I've continued to struggle with them on lobs and sand shots. They're a full 2 inches longer than my traditional SW and LW. As such, you're a long way from the ball. If you choke down to play those shots, you can't open the clubface without bringing in the toe. (The lie angle is too flat.) You're left with a choice: choke down but keep the club face square or play it at full length and open the face as needed. You simply cannot do both.

I put them away for a few months and recently broke them back out. I still can't put them to use on lobs and sand shots--that simply hasn't gotten better. But I love the SW from the fairway on all swings so much I don't want to lose it. So I'm going to take out the LW and replace it with my traditional LW, and then use that for lobs and sand shots. But the bounce isn't as pronounced as with a sand wedge, so some bunker shots are still difficult.

Tom fooled around with some SL woods, but he couldn't get the driver to work. Thank goodness! :)

I love the blade-style Sterling wedges. CG is high enough to keep approach shots down.

8

#849 9woodfan

9woodfan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124629
  • Joined: 03/15/2011
  • Location:Canada
  • Ebay ID:bordercop41
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

 nohny noke, on 10 November 2018 - 12:33 AM, said:

 Rich Douglas, on 09 November 2018 - 09:28 PM, said:

I've played Sterlings for 2 years now. I'm totally sold and I'll never, ever go back. I play 4I through GW, opting for traditional SW and LW. About 6 months ago I decided to try the new Sterling SW and LW. They were (and are) great for full and less-than-full shots from the fairway. But I've continued to struggle with them on lobs and sand shots. They're a full 2 inches longer than my traditional SW and LW. As such, you're a long way from the ball. If you choke down to play those shots, you can't open the clubface without bringing in the toe. (The lie angle is too flat.) You're left with a choice: choke down but keep the club face square or play it at full length and open the face as needed. You simply cannot do both.

I put them away for a few months and recently broke them back out. I still can't put them to use on lobs and sand shots--that simply hasn't gotten better. But I love the SW from the fairway on all swings so much I don't want to lose it. So I'm going to take out the LW and replace it with my traditional LW, and then use that for lobs and sand shots. But the bounce isn't as pronounced as with a sand wedge, so some bunker shots are still difficult.

Tom fooled around with some SL woods, but he couldn't get the driver to work. Thank goodness! :)

I love the blade-style Sterling wedges. CG is high enough to keep approach shots down.
I still have the original SW but it's in and out of the bag for a Vokey that I've had extended to almost the same length.

Play the wedges at 36.4 and the irons at 36.7... might go all 36.4 cause the wedges are amazing at that length. I've debated trying the new style SW but like previous posters it's mainly for full shots or perhaps some bump and runs into greens. Bunkers are always a 58 or 62 wedge.

Bag: PING Hoofer Camo
Driver: PING G30 11* SF Tec

Wood: Empty

Hybrid: Cobra F8 22*

Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 5-GW
Wedge: Vokey SM5 54/58/62*

Putter: TaylorMade Ardmore Red
Work done by Dan's Custom Golf


9

#850 Wdwfreak

Wdwfreak

    Golf Pro - Wisconsin

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124448
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
  • Ebay ID:Wdwfreak67
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thinking 4-pw in Cobra forged one length, saw the head for the first time yesterday and it's a beautiful head, looks better than my AP2s. Anyone have gapping problems from PW-GW? I really want to try primarily the single length irons and I still really like my wedges at 35.5-35.25-35 inches.

Edited by Wdwfreak, 10 November 2018 - 10:11 AM.

Taylormade M3 460 8.5 HZRDUS T1100 75X
Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 8TX
Titleist 716 T-MB Graphite Design AD-DI 95x
Titleist AP2 4-6 TT DG x100 MB 7-9 TT DG x100
Vokey SM7 46F TT DG x100
50F, 55S, 60M TT DG s400
Slighter slant neck Scotty Cameron Futura x5 35"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#851 SDGolfRookie

SDGolfRookie

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492272
  • Joined: 01/30/2018
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:05 PM

Thank you Rich D & 9wood for the tips.

After my 3rd week in a row of golf > golf store, this is where I stand (lol):
- I want to like the Cobra Forged One but for some reason it doesn’t jive
- I JUST LEARNED about Edel. OMG those are beautiful. like that they really get you dialed in (one length = one wrong fitting choice = wrong for all clubs, right??)

Would any of you Edel users “trust” a Club Champion fitting? Or, do you recommend going straight to an Edel Master Fitter?

11

#852 Rohlio

Rohlio

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
  • Joined: 11/16/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:45 PM

 Wdwfreak, on 10 November 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Thinking 4-pw in Cobra forged one length, saw the head for the first time yesterday and it's a beautiful head, looks better than my AP2s. Anyone have gapping problems from PW-GW? I really want to try primarily the single length irons and I still really like my wedges at 35.5-35.25-35 inches.

I have the 4-pw one length forged... I use a conventional length 50* gap a 54 sand and a 58 lob.

No issues with gapping

12

#853 Hammer28

Hammer28

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 456258
  • Joined: 02/22/2017
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:56 AM

Been using them for about a year and have gone from a 19.7 handicap to 14.3. Starting to groove a swing with these now. Has anyone changed shafts in these themselves? When i pulled the heads off mine they all had different sized brass tip weights in each iron. I don't really know why this would be necessary when they should make to heads the right weight off the bat. Anyone else notice this?

Been using them for about a year and have gone from a 19.7 handicap to 14.3. Starting to groove a swing with these now. Has anyone changed shafts in these themselves? When i pulled the heads off mine they all had different sized brass tip weights in each iron. I don't really know why this would be necessary when they should make to heads the right weight off the bat. Anyone else notice this?

13

#854 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297457
  • Joined: 02/17/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:48 PM

I'm convinced even more that the Sterling LW is just a bridge too far. I'm comfortable (enough) with the SW to play it from the sand (at its full length). The Sterling LW is 2 inches longer than my traditional LW, and that's just too much for use around the greens. So I put in a 64-degree wedge for most sand and lob shots, with the Sterling SW for longer bunker shots and half-to-full swings from the fairway.
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
2W: TM Mini Driver
3H: TM Rocketballz
Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-GW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy SW (56 degrees) and LW (64 degrees)
Putter: Happy by Brainstorm Golf (Mallet)
Ball: Snell MTB Red

14

#855 DrainBramage

DrainBramage

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491502
  • Joined: 01/21/2018
  • Location:ca
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

@BestGrips  (or anyone else who plays the Edel 3 iron)

How well does the Edel SL 3 iron perform?   Do you get your distance,  how steep is the descent angle/roll out?

Edited by DrainBramage, 14 November 2018 - 02:10 PM.

Driver  Ping G20
3 wood  Adams Tight Lies 2 Ti w/Matrix Red Tie 15*
Heavenwood Callaway Epicw/Matrix Red Tie 20*
DI  Ping Rapture @ 38"  17*
Irons  4-7   Edel Single Length @ 38"
8-PW  Ping  S57  @ 36.6"
Lob  58*  Bobby Jones @ 36.6"
Putter Cleveland Evelado

15

#856 Wdwfreak

Wdwfreak

    Golf Pro - Wisconsin

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124448
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
  • Ebay ID:Wdwfreak67
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:46 PM

So far so good, long practice session in. I can already feel the value of setting up to each iron the same way.

Now for more testing, sticking with standard length wedges after going 4-pw single length
Taylormade M3 460 8.5 HZRDUS T1100 75X
Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 8TX
Titleist 716 T-MB Graphite Design AD-DI 95x
Titleist AP2 4-6 TT DG x100 MB 7-9 TT DG x100
Vokey SM7 46F TT DG x100
50F, 55S, 60M TT DG s400
Slighter slant neck Scotty Cameron Futura x5 35"

16

#857 BestGrips

BestGrips

    Reformed Club Ho....

  • Sponsors
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 283086
  • Joined: 11/06/2013
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:4.1
  • Ebay ID:genuineleathergolf
GolfWRX Likes : 408

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:49 PM

 DrainBramage, on 14 November 2018 - 02:08 PM, said:

@BestGrips  (or anyone else who plays the Edel 3 iron)

How well does the Edel SL 3 iron perform?   Do you get your distance,  how steep is the descent angle/roll out?

For me, it carries the same as the 4 iron, but rolls out further. I need to play with the lofts more. Right now, it's bent strong and I use it like a driving iron.
WITB:
9* G400 Max w/ Xcalibur TSL Tour Stiff and Custom MicroPerf Golf Grip
14* Callaway XR 16 Pro w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Red 75 6.0 and Custom Christmas Golf Grip
3-GW Edel SLS-01 w/ Paderson SL 95g Stiff and alternating Patriotic and Augusta Leather Golf Grips
55* Edel Come and Take It TRP Handmade w/ KBS Tour Wedge Stiff and Come and Take It Golf Grip
59* Edel PNR Handmade w/ KBS Tour Wedge Stiff and Augusta Leather Golf Grip
Artisan Golf #0036 0217 w/ Zach Use Only Putter Grip or 0318 w/ Prototype Leather Putter Grip

BestGrips is a second generation, underdog golf company making genuine leather golf grips, putter grips, Puttershoes® and headcovers in the US of A. We are big fans of one off custom work and not afraid of hard work. In the market for game changing grips that combine new with old, performance with looks, and are made right here in the US of A? Then look no further than BestGrips.com! Follow us on twitter - @bestgrips!

Use coupon code "wrx15" at checkout on www.bestgrips.com and get 15% off.


All grips and headcovers are handmade in Conroe, Texas.


17

#858 Mych

Mych

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Joined: 06/03/2012
  • Location:SE Houston/Galv
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 768

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:54 PM

Not really an update about my OL irons (which are still performing well), but instead about my OL Fly-Z franken-hybrid. I've had it in the bag for a few months now, and just recently realized how amazing it is around the greens. I've dabbled with using my hybrids as chippers before, but have never been very satisfied with the accuracy/control before. At 3" shorter, my hybrid is now much closer to the length of my wedges & putter, making it very easy and intuitive to use around the green.
"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead

Main bag: Callaway Bertha Fusion 10.5*~ Cobra F6 Baffler 4-5w 16.5* ~ Cobra King Utility 19.5* ~ Cobra Fly-Z (OL) 3H 21.5* ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-W wedges ~ Odyssey Metal X Milled Rossie
6 club minimalist: Cobra Fly-Z (OL) 3H (tee+putting) ~ Cobra Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cobra King 50,56 ~ Silo Club Carrier

18

#859 disco111

disco111

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386826
  • Joined: 07/19/2015
  • Location:Oklahoma City, OK
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

19

#860 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 24307

Posted Yesterday, 04:27 PM

 disco111, on 15 November 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

Very honestly, I have every shot positioned in exactly the same place.  The only challenges I've had are with hybrids and I think that's on me.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#861 nohny noke

nohny noke

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165817
  • Joined: 02/24/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 880

Posted Yesterday, 04:51 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 15 November 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postdisco111, on 15 November 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

Very honestly, I have every shot positioned in exactly the same place.  The only challenges I've had are with hybrids and I think that's on me.

I would stick with it, regarding the hybrids.  It is superbly fun (for me) hitting a 36.5 easy stick 5 hybrid. I actually play a 6 hybrid, as well as 7 and 8 hybrid/irons (Tour Edge) in my half homegrown single-length set.  Gapping is spot on.  It is tough for me to not play the most forgiving hybrids and irons I can find.

Heavy and short steel shafts in hybrids is waaaay fun and easy.

Edited by nohny noke, Yesterday, 05:30 PM.


21

#862 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

    Legend

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Joined: 11/10/2008
  • Location:A golf course in the Chicago area.
GolfWRX Likes : 24307

Posted Yesterday, 05:33 PM

View Postnohny noke, on 15 November 2018 - 04:51 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 15 November 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

View Postdisco111, on 15 November 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

Very honestly, I have every shot positioned in exactly the same place.  The only challenges I've had are with hybrids and I think that's on me.

I would stick with it, regarding the hybrids.  It is superbly fun (for me) hitting a 36.5" easy stick 5 hybrid. I actually play a 6 hybrid, as well as 7 and 8 hybrid/irons (Tour Edge) in my homegrown single-length set.  Gapping is spot on.

Heavy and short steel shafts in hybrids is waaaay fun and easy.

We're very close, if not into dome season, which is when I'll hopefully figure them out.  The "good" shots I've hit with them (less than 50%) have gone very straight and even longer than the traditional hybrids.They just seem so incredibly short which is why I label the issue as me, not them.

22

#863 Aucaveman

Aucaveman

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467540
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Georgia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted Yesterday, 06:36 PM

View Postdisco111, on 15 November 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

I had the exact problem. Is your miss a hook? What I observed was that people who's miss is a hook or use a lot of hand turn over, have this problem. I tried ball position, adjusting lie angles, and adding lead tape. None of it worked. I finally purchased 4 and 5 ol hybrids. Then I had the same problem with them. The only way I hit them straight and high is to just hold off the swing. I just try and take all my hands out of the swing. There wasn't a magic bullet for me, but you'll figure it out. It's really more about the swing than anything else.

23

#864 disco111

disco111

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386826
  • Joined: 07/19/2015
  • Location:Oklahoma City, OK
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 696

Posted Yesterday, 07:42 PM

View PostAucaveman, on 15 November 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

View Postdisco111, on 15 November 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

I had the exact problem. Is your miss a hook? What I observed was that people who's miss is a hook or use a lot of hand turn over, have this problem. I tried ball position, adjusting lie angles, and adding lead tape. None of it worked. I finally purchased 4 and 5 ol hybrids. Then I had the same problem with them. The only way I hit them straight and high is to just hold off the swing. I just try and take all my hands out of the swing. There wasn't a magic bullet for me, but you'll figure it out. It's really more about the swing than anything else.

I wish it was a hook, that  I could deal with. My shot is either a low bullet /slight fade and if I re-position from the 7 iron stance, it becomes a nasty slice. A fade I could deal with if I could get height, but this is nasty big slice. I haven't sliced a ball since i started playing why back when. I can usually work a swing fault out, but this has got me scratching my head. I was really surprised with the 7 iron. For a loft of 5* more than my eye2+, it really didn't go that much further, about the same as the 6 iron. I realize that it's a change, but for as long as I've been playing, it should not be this troublesome.

24

#865 Aucaveman

Aucaveman

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467540
  • Joined: 05/14/2017
  • Location:Georgia
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted Yesterday, 08:05 PM

View Postdisco111, on 15 November 2018 - 07:42 PM, said:

View PostAucaveman, on 15 November 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

View Postdisco111, on 15 November 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

I had the exact problem. Is your miss a hook? What I observed was that people who's miss is a hook or use a lot of hand turn over, have this problem. I tried ball position, adjusting lie angles, and adding lead tape. None of it worked. I finally purchased 4 and 5 ol hybrids. Then I had the same problem with them. The only way I hit them straight and high is to just hold off the swing. I just try and take all my hands out of the swing. There wasn't a magic bullet for me, but you'll figure it out. It's really more about the swing than anything else.

I wish it was a hook, that  I could deal with. My shot is either a low bullet /slight fade and if I re-position from the 7 iron stance, it becomes a nasty slice. A fade I could deal with if I could get height, but this is nasty big slice. I haven't sliced a ball since i started playing why back when. I can usually work a swing fault out, but this has got me scratching my head. I was really surprised with the 7 iron. For a loft of 5* more than my eye2+, it really didn't go that much further, about the same as the 6 iron. I realize that it's a change, but for as long as I've been playing, it should not be this troublesome.

3 of us play sl. I hit a hook and the other 2 hit cuts. I struggled with the 5 and 6 but pure the 7-sw. The other 2 guys struggled with the 9-sw but pure the 5-8. After I got the ol hybrids, I struggled with them but after I kinda figured them out, I tried the 5 again and was ripping it. I keep the hybrid in the bag just because it's easier to hit overall.


25



4 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Rich Douglas, Frisco Kid, rtraudt

GolfWRX Sponsors