Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 5 votes

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)


1292 replies to this topic

#1261 SDGolfRookie

SDGolfRookie

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492272
  • Joined: 01/30/2018
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:26 AM

Update on the one length commitment:

JumboMax Grips
- I’m a size large glove
- Bought 13 mediums (tour model) and put them on all my clubs
- Felt great (nice a tacky) and the larger size felt good in hands
- Also got a Sun Mountain 14 way divider to guard against tangle
- Medium BARELY fits in some of the dividers that run along the perimeter. Especially bottom row, each far end
- After 3 rounds, 3 big range sessions (like 200+ balls each) and a 1 lesson I put Tour Velvet Midsize back-on.
- Primary reason was my left/top hand would get sore in my last 3 fingers. May be I wasn’t gripping them correctly in my lifeline but it hurt/emitted some finger pain for 2 days after each round.
- I am very wristy with my takeaway and was hoping the larger grip would help but it didn’t for me. The drills I am doing are tho, lol.
- Cool product and glad I tried it. Just didn’t work out.
- Standard grips caused sore wrists over time, JumboMax MD sore fingers. Midsize seems just right.

Wedges
- Edel SW has been nice for square chipping. I use it for more running chips and anything that doesn’t need stop on a dime. Also goes nice and high for 80-100 yard approaches. It is a little chunky so I have yet to open face flop it during a round. That said, I’ve been able to open and get under it on driving range matts no problem.
- Bagged the Cobra Black One Length 60. Got some length (37.75) as my Edels and s400 shaft to close to comparable swing weight. Really nice out of the sand and for green side. The blade look looks more open than the Edel SW so may end up using this more often green side. Also - the Black finish is sexy and seems durable. Definitely can flop shot with it.

Overall: too soon to tell and way too soon to bail
- have had a bad last few round (99 and 2 stop keeping scores) because my swing has gone on vacation, leaving me to dance with el hosel. That said, I’d be shooting the same thing with any club.
- looking forward to getting the swing back so I can really see if I am better with one vs many lengths....also because Rickie won and I didn’t know previously that they existed, the VL CB/MB black set is a temptress like no other.
- loving the feel of the Edel face and shaft. My pure shots go higher and further than my old IBlades but need the pure shots to come more frequently
- still trusting the 4 iron (easier to hit than VL but still not easy for me just yet...chill swing like u guys say)
- Liking the consistent posture and longer wedges since I am tall

Edited by SDGolfRookie, 09 February 2019 - 01:28 AM.

Driver: Cobra F8
Woods: Cobra F8 3/4
Hybrid: Ping G400 19
Irons: Ping iBlade 4-P
Wedges: Ping Glide 50/54/58
Putter: Edel Brick...hauuus, or Edel E-1, or Ping Value 2.0 ZB
Ball: Vice Pro Pink (I mean, Neon Red)
Bag: Ping Hoofer
Clothes: Lululemon ALL DAY

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#1262 extrastiff

extrastiff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512346
  • Joined: 09/12/2018
  • Location:GA
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:45 AM

View PostSDGolfRookie, on 09 February 2019 - 01:26 AM, said:

Update on the one length commitment:

JumboMax Grips
- I’m a size large glove
- Bought 13 mediums (tour model) and put them on all my clubs
- Felt great (nice a tacky) and the larger size felt good in hands
- Also got a Sun Mountain 14 way divider to guard against tangle
- Medium BARELY fits in some of the dividers that run along the perimeter. Especially bottom row, each far end
- After 3 rounds, 3 big range sessions (like 200+ balls each) and a 1 lesson I put Tour Velvet Midsize back-on.
- Primary reason was my left/top hand would get sore in my last 3 fingers. May be I wasn’t gripping them correctly in my lifeline but it hurt/emitted some finger pain for 2 days after each round.
- I am very wristy with my takeaway and was hoping the larger grip would help but it didn’t for me. The drills I am doing are tho, lol.
- Cool product and glad I tried it. Just didn’t work out.
- Standard grips caused sore wrists over time, JumboMax MD sore fingers. Midsize seems just right.

Wedges
- Edel SW has been nice for square chipping. I use it for more running chips and anything that doesn’t need stop on a dime. Also goes nice and high for 80-100 yard approaches. It is a little chunky so I have yet to open face flop it during a round. That said, I’ve been able to open and get under it on driving range matts no problem.
- Bagged the Cobra Black One Length 60. Got some length (37.75) as my Edels and s400 shaft to close to comparable swing weight. Really nice out of the sand and for green side. The blade look looks more open than the Edel SW so may end up using this more often green side. Also - the Black finish is sexy and seems durable. Definitely can flop shot with it.

Overall: too soon to tell and way too soon to bail
- have had a bad last few round (99 and 2 stop keeping scores) because my swing has gone on vacation, leaving me to dance with el hosel. That said, I’d be shooting the same thing with any club.
- looking forward to getting the swing back so I can really see if I am better with one vs many lengths....also because Rickie won and I didn’t know previously that they existed, the VL CB/MB black set is a temptress like no other.
- loving the feel of the Edel face and shaft. My pure shots go higher and further than my old IBlades but need the pure shots to come more frequently
- still trusting the 4 iron (easier to hit than VL but still not easy for me just yet...chill swing like u guys say)
- Liking the consistent posture and longer wedges since I am tall

Instersting u were having pain, sorry to hear it. I had pain in my right hand pinky with them before I switched to a ten finger grip.

Bummer... but I'll buy em if u had them pulled��
g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
columbus
jumbomax tour medium grips

2

#1263 jakkim

jakkim

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23005
  • Joined: 12/22/2006
  • Location:Denver
  • Ebay ID:tincupktd
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

Pinhawks will be ready today! Very impressed by the tolerances as club heads were within .5g with a median weight of 273.5g, and all lofts and lies were spot on. Also grips, Diamond Tour Golf Super Oversize were within 1g of median.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_0899.jpg

Edited by jakkim, 09 February 2019 - 10:34 AM.


3

#1264 jakkim

jakkim

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23005
  • Joined: 12/22/2006
  • Location:Denver
  • Ebay ID:tincupktd
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

Just back from my first range session with the Pinhawks. What an absolute joy it is to practice with single length clubs. I messed around and went from 4 iron to LW to 7 iron to PW to 5 iron...literally the same swing. Was a lot of fun, and made practicing so much easier. Heads felt great, gapping was spot on at an average 12.5 yards between clubs. Zero complaints, and excited for my next session.

The biggest surprise was the grips. My miss has always been left. My bad miss is starting the ball 10 yards right and ending up 50 yards left. It'd be impossible to miss left with these grips right? I should be in block city and pushing the ball right all day right? NOPE. If I had to guess the grips had absolutely zero impact on ball flight. My good shots still drew, and my misses still snapped left. However, they felt amazing. So solid, zero movement, can't believe I had never tried these in the past. Using regular grips I'd tear holes in gloves, get blisters, one time playing in rain I tossed a driver damn near 50 yards. No way that's happening with these. Super solid and really felt connected.

4

#1265 lang30

lang30

    Hawkeye

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82447
  • Joined: 05/09/2009
  • Location:Des Moines, IA
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 10 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

This thread is great. I am slowly working towards embracing sl, but for now I am considering a baby step.

Background: I have the f9 vl at 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright. The lengths are 1/4 inch longer than my previous ap1's, which is fine, but the 5 and 4 go up 3/4 inch so now the 5 iron is the length of my old ap1 4 iron.  I always struggled with a pull in the ap1 4 iron.  I am similarly struggling with the f9 4 and 5, but the 6 feels very comfortable and is significantly more consistent.

Data: After a few sessions on foresight, f9 carry averages on good swings came out at 6-203, 5-217, 4-231 (g400 3 Hybrid was 234).

With the above in mind, I am considering adjusting 4 and 5 to the 6 length and lie, so 3/4 and 1.5 inch reductions. Shaft is c-taper s+. Because I have the 3 Hybrid, I have no concerns losing a few yards on the 4 and 5.  What concerns should I consider?  Any thought / insight appreciated from the experts contributing to this thread. I fully admit that I scanned a good deal of this thread, but could have missed a detailed discussion on this.

Keep up all the enthusiasm around sl, I will get there one day.

G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Cobra F9 4 - GW C-Taper s+
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
Bettinardi BB43

5

#1266 Rohlio

Rohlio

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
  • Joined: 11/16/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

View Postlang30, on 10 February 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

This thread is great. I am slowly working towards embracing sl, but for now I am considering a baby step.

Background: I have the f9 vl at 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright. The lengths are 1/4 inch longer than my previous ap1's, which is fine, but the 5 and 4 go up 3/4 inch so now the 5 iron is the length of my old ap1 4 iron.  I always struggled with a pull in the ap1 4 iron.  I am similarly struggling with the f9 4 and 5, but the 6 feels very comfortable and is significantly more consistent.

Data: After a few sessions on foresight, f9 carry averages on good swings came out at 6-203, 5-217, 4-231 (g400 3 Hybrid was 234).

With the above in mind, I am considering adjusting 4 and 5 to the 6 length and lie, so 3/4 and 1.5 inch reductions. Shaft is c-taper s+. Because I have the 3 Hybrid, I have no concerns losing a few yards on the 4 and 5.  What concerns should I consider?  Any thought / insight appreciated from the experts contributing to this thread. I fully admit that I scanned a good deal of this thread, but could have missed a detailed discussion on this.

Keep up all the enthusiasm around sl, I will get there one day.

DO not try to take VL iron heads and turn them into one length clubs. The headweights on one length 4 irons are going to be considerably heavier that on the variable length 4 iron for example. So when you cut them down they will be way to light to have anything like a comparable swingweight at that length and if you try to add that much weight back the weight distribution will be totally changed.

The only reason the concept works is because the wedge and 4 irons heads weigh the same and then at the same length feel the same. This is why you can swing them all like your 7 iron and the loft gaps take care of the distance for you.

If you try this what I think you will experience is real trouble with control and think that SL is not for you when it is simply that the clubs you used aren't made for this purpose.
WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

6

#1267 lang30

lang30

    Hawkeye

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82447
  • Joined: 05/09/2009
  • Location:Des Moines, IA
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

View PostRohlio, on 10 February 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

View Postlang30, on 10 February 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

This thread is great. I am slowly working towards embracing sl, but for now I am considering a baby step.

Background: I have the f9 vl at 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright. The lengths are 1/4 inch longer than my previous ap1's, which is fine, but the 5 and 4 go up 3/4 inch so now the 5 iron is the length of my old ap1 4 iron.  I always struggled with a pull in the ap1 4 iron.  I am similarly struggling with the f9 4 and 5, but the 6 feels very comfortable and is significantly more consistent.

Data: After a few sessions on foresight, f9 carry averages on good swings came out at 6-203, 5-217, 4-231 (g400 3 Hybrid was 234).

With the above in mind, I am considering adjusting 4 and 5 to the 6 length and lie, so 3/4 and 1.5 inch reductions. Shaft is c-taper s+. Because I have the 3 Hybrid, I have no concerns losing a few yards on the 4 and 5.  What concerns should I consider?  Any thought / insight appreciated from the experts contributing to this thread. I fully admit that I scanned a good deal of this thread, but could have missed a detailed discussion on this.

Keep up all the enthusiasm around sl, I will get there one day.

DO not try to take VL iron heads and turn them into one length clubs. The headweights on one length 4 irons are going to be considerably heavier that on the variable length 4 iron for example. So when you cut them down they will be way to light to have anything like a comparable swingweight at that length and if you try to add that much weight back the weight distribution will be totally changed.

The only reason the concept works is because the wedge and 4 irons heads weigh the same and then at the same length feel the same. This is why you can swing them all like your 7 iron and the loft gaps take care of the distance for you.

If you try this what I think you will experience is real trouble with control and think that SL is not for you when it is simply that the clubs you used aren't made for this purpose.
Thank you for the quick response. The length adjustments I would need, because I started 1 inch long, would put the 5 iron 1/4 longer and 4 iron 1/2 shorter than standard. How does Cobra control for standard swingweight on different lengths or do they not? I guess my question is really, if I sent to Cobra could the modify while keeping swingweight reasonable?
G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Cobra F9 4 - GW C-Taper s+
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
Bettinardi BB43

7

#1268 Rohlio

Rohlio

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
  • Joined: 11/16/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

View Postlang30, on 10 February 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostRohlio, on 10 February 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

View Postlang30, on 10 February 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

This thread is great. I am slowly working towards embracing sl, but for now I am considering a baby step.

Background: I have the f9 vl at 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright. The lengths are 1/4 inch longer than my previous ap1's, which is fine, but the 5 and 4 go up 3/4 inch so now the 5 iron is the length of my old ap1 4 iron.  I always struggled with a pull in the ap1 4 iron.  I am similarly struggling with the f9 4 and 5, but the 6 feels very comfortable and is significantly more consistent.

Data: After a few sessions on foresight, f9 carry averages on good swings came out at 6-203, 5-217, 4-231 (g400 3 Hybrid was 234).

With the above in mind, I am considering adjusting 4 and 5 to the 6 length and lie, so 3/4 and 1.5 inch reductions. Shaft is c-taper s+. Because I have the 3 Hybrid, I have no concerns losing a few yards on the 4 and 5.  What concerns should I consider?  Any thought / insight appreciated from the experts contributing to this thread. I fully admit that I scanned a good deal of this thread, but could have missed a detailed discussion on this.

Keep up all the enthusiasm around sl, I will get there one day.

DO not try to take VL iron heads and turn them into one length clubs. The headweights on one length 4 irons are going to be considerably heavier that on the variable length 4 iron for example. So when you cut them down they will be way to light to have anything like a comparable swingweight at that length and if you try to add that much weight back the weight distribution will be totally changed.

The only reason the concept works is because the wedge and 4 irons heads weigh the same and then at the same length feel the same. This is why you can swing them all like your 7 iron and the loft gaps take care of the distance for you.

If you try this what I think you will experience is real trouble with control and think that SL is not for you when it is simply that the clubs you used aren't made for this purpose.
Thank you for the quick response. The length adjustments I would need, because I started 1 inch long, would put the 5 iron 1/4 longer and 4 iron 1/2 shorter than standard. How does Cobra control for standard swingweight on different lengths or do they not? I guess my question is really, if I sent to Cobra could the modify while keeping swingweight reasonable?

Call and ask them directly. They are very easy to deal with on this kind of stuff and their turnaround time on stuff I have had them do for me has been like 2-3 days.

Phone: (800) 917-3300, option 4
WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

8

#1269 lang30

lang30

    Hawkeye

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82447
  • Joined: 05/09/2009
  • Location:Des Moines, IA
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:41 AM

View PostRohlio, on 10 February 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

View Postlang30, on 10 February 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostRohlio, on 10 February 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

View Postlang30, on 10 February 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

This thread is great. I am slowly working towards embracing sl, but for now I am considering a baby step.

Background: I have the f9 vl at 1 inch long and 2 degrees upright. The lengths are 1/4 inch longer than my previous ap1's, which is fine, but the 5 and 4 go up 3/4 inch so now the 5 iron is the length of my old ap1 4 iron.  I always struggled with a pull in the ap1 4 iron.  I am similarly struggling with the f9 4 and 5, but the 6 feels very comfortable and is significantly more consistent.

Data: After a few sessions on foresight, f9 carry averages on good swings came out at 6-203, 5-217, 4-231 (g400 3 Hybrid was 234).

With the above in mind, I am considering adjusting 4 and 5 to the 6 length and lie, so 3/4 and 1.5 inch reductions. Shaft is c-taper s+. Because I have the 3 Hybrid, I have no concerns losing a few yards on the 4 and 5.  What concerns should I consider?  Any thought / insight appreciated from the experts contributing to this thread. I fully admit that I scanned a good deal of this thread, but could have missed a detailed discussion on this.

Keep up all the enthusiasm around sl, I will get there one day.

DO not try to take VL iron heads and turn them into one length clubs. The headweights on one length 4 irons are going to be considerably heavier that on the variable length 4 iron for example. So when you cut them down they will be way to light to have anything like a comparable swingweight at that length and if you try to add that much weight back the weight distribution will be totally changed.

The only reason the concept works is because the wedge and 4 irons heads weigh the same and then at the same length feel the same. This is why you can swing them all like your 7 iron and the loft gaps take care of the distance for you.

If you try this what I think you will experience is real trouble with control and think that SL is not for you when it is simply that the clubs you used aren't made for this purpose.
Thank you for the quick response. The length adjustments I would need, because I started 1 inch long, would put the 5 iron 1/4 longer and 4 iron 1/2 shorter than standard. How does Cobra control for standard swingweight on different lengths or do they not? I guess my question is really, if I sent to Cobra could the modify while keeping swingweight reasonable?

Call and ask them directly. They are very easy to deal with on this kind of stuff and their turnaround time on stuff I have had them do for me has been like 2-3 days.

Phone: (800) 917-3300, option 4
Wil do. Thanks again.
G400 Max 9 Degree Tour75x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Cobra F9 4 - GW C-Taper s+
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52 & 58 DG x100
Bettinardi BB43

9

#1270 OsnolaKinnard

OsnolaKinnard

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442454
  • Joined: 10/04/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:osnolakinnardb
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:15 PM

Your experiences mirror mine with the Edel SLS01s.

LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#1271 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

Another question for all the SL users.  Did you get your clubs at what you've previously been fit into?

Like I've been fit into Pings at blue dot, + 0.5".  Is that what you ordered your SL at?  Or were you fit into them differently?
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

11

#1272 OsnolaKinnard

OsnolaKinnard

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442454
  • Joined: 10/04/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:osnolakinnardb
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 10 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Another question for all the SL users.  Did you get your clubs at what you've previously been fit into?

Like I've been fit into Pings at blue dot, + 0.5".  Is that what you ordered your SL at?  Or were you fit into them differently?

My previous set of irons was a set of Callaway X18's with real deal Royal Precision Rifle 6.0 shafts, they are based off a 39" 5 iron and 3* upright...so +1" over 'standard'.

My Edel SLS 01 irons are 37.5" long...or the same as my old +1" 8 iron or a standard 6 iron.  I have them with a 64* lie angle which is 2* upright, I also have 274 gram heads. using the 12 gram weight.  

I was not surprised by those specs.  I was surprised that the Paderson Shafts that yielded the best feel/sound/results were the 95 gram shafts.  I have always liked heavier clubs and the RP Rifles I had were like 130 or so grams.  I expected to be in the 115 gram shafts...and I did like them, but the proof was in the pudding with the 95's.
LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

12

#1273 longoffthetees

longoffthetees

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51055
  • Joined: 03/09/2008
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:longoffthetees2
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:31 PM

Got a full round in with my Edel's and the SL experience.  

Easiest way to explain my experience so far is amazing.  There has been zero issues adjusting to SL irons and hybrids.  

Shot -4 today.  Best round of the year so far.   Hit 14/18 GIR and the one's I missed were within 5 feet of the green.  The longer LW has been great around the green as well.  All 5 missed greens resulted in either tap-ins or easy putts.  I've found it easy to flight the ball as well.  All my irons are 37.5".  I even hit some nice knockdown shots today in some pretty nasty weather.   It's amazing that my confidence has already grown to the point that I'm just trying to find the fairway with my driver or tee ball.  I hope this continues because it really simplifies the game in ways I had never thought imaginable on my end.
Cobra F9 10.5* w/ Tour AD-DI 6X
Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* 2W w/ TA Steel "The Unicorn"
Cobra F9 14.5* w/ Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
Cobra F9 17* Hybrid w/ Fujikura Atmos Black 7S
Cobra F8 OL 22* w/ Tour AD-DI 95S
Edel SLS-01 6-SW w/ Paderson Kinetixx 110S
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60* w/ Aldila Lobster 120S
Scotty Cameron Circle T X7M "Black Betty"

13

#1274 ry1808

ry1808

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299212
  • Joined: 02/27/2014
  • Location:Winston-Salem, NC (England at heart)
  • Handicap:0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:06 PM

Took my SL set to a launch monitor yesterday and almost scared myself a little...

As I expect the short irons where long, the PW was around 8 yards longer than my MP-18. 8 thru 5 where pretty close (any difference could easily be contributed to a poor swing). The 4 iron was shorter and the 3 iron was really struggling, around 8 yards short and I really had to step on it and hit a draw to get there. My problem is that I'm not a huge fan of fairway woods and hybrids so I can see a struggle with the top end of my bag. i think the low end will work out ok I just need to practice on that.

So an interesting day and one that muddied the water for me a little.

Got some thinking and practicing to do...

14

#1275 Pack7483

Pack7483

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178002
  • Joined: 04/29/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

View Postry1808, on 11 February 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

Took my SL set to a launch monitor yesterday and almost scared myself a little...

As I expect the short irons where long, the PW was around 8 yards longer than my MP-18. 8 thru 5 where pretty close (any difference could easily be contributed to a poor swing). The 4 iron was shorter and the 3 iron was really struggling, around 8 yards short and I really had to step on it and hit a draw to get there. My problem is that I'm not a huge fan of fairway woods and hybrids so I can see a struggle with the top end of my bag. i think the low end will work out ok I just need to practice on that.

So an interesting day and one that muddied the water for me a little.

Got some thinking and practicing to do...

I look at it as my one lengths are scoring clubs. I play 5-LW f7 one length, and have gotten so comfortable and consistent that any shot 185 and in I feel like my one lengths give me a chance to be on the green. Where I struggled, and I think others struggle are when you push the one lengths into the 3i and 4i lofts. I just think there is a diminishing return around 20 degrees and stronger for me.  I guess the hybrid would fix this, but I hate hybrids. I went with a standard length 4 iron and 3w at the top of my bag and it works well.


15

#1276 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostPack7483, on 11 February 2019 - 12:24 PM, said:

View Postry1808, on 11 February 2019 - 12:06 PM, said:

Took my SL set to a launch monitor yesterday and almost scared myself a little...

As I expect the short irons where long, the PW was around 8 yards longer than my MP-18. 8 thru 5 where pretty close (any difference could easily be contributed to a poor swing). The 4 iron was shorter and the 3 iron was really struggling, around 8 yards short and I really had to step on it and hit a draw to get there. My problem is that I'm not a huge fan of fairway woods and hybrids so I can see a struggle with the top end of my bag. i think the low end will work out ok I just need to practice on that.

So an interesting day and one that muddied the water for me a little.

Got some thinking and practicing to do...

I look at it as my one lengths are scoring clubs. I play 5-LW f7 one length, and have gotten so comfortable and consistent that any shot 185 and in I feel like my one lengths give me a chance to be on the green. Where I struggled, and I think others struggle are when you push the one lengths into the 3i and 4i lofts. I just think there is a diminishing return around 20 degrees and stronger for me.  I guess the hybrid would fix this, but I hate hybrids. I went with a standard length 4 iron and 3w at the top of my bag and it works well.

I'm looking to get a F9 SL 4i to pair with the Cobra Black 5-G.  Hopefully this keeps the longer end of my bag in shape.  If not, I've got a 9031 23* hybrid that I've always hit well that can fill in that spot.

Thoughts?

Edited by J-Tizzle, 11 February 2019 - 01:44 PM.

G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

16

#1277 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297457
  • Joined: 02/17/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 141

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:35 PM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 10 February 2019 - 04:29 PM, said:

Another question for all the SL users.  Did you get your clubs at what you've previously been fit into?

Like I've been fit into Pings at blue dot, + 0.5".  Is that what you ordered your SL at?  Or were you fit into them differently?

Same, 2 degrees up. We checked during the fitting, of course, just to be sure. But it was the same.
Driver: Titleist 917 D3 (Aldila Rogue MAX 65)
2W: TM Mini Driver
3I: Ping Driving Iron
Irons: Wishon Sterling Single Length 4I-SW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy LW (64 degrees)
Putter: Happy by Brainstorm Golf (Mallet)
Ball: Snell MTB Red

17

#1278 longoffthetees

longoffthetees

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51055
  • Joined: 03/09/2008
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:longoffthetees2
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

Played again today. Another solid day. Finally hit a few gap bunched mid irons today.  Didn’t kill me, but left me with much longer putts. The only struggle at all is at the top end. My 5i is about 15 yards shorter than previous set.  Hybrids are about 10 yards shorter. Not any thing that cant be worked around. If I can make some 10-15 footers during the round, I will be playing some really good golf for me.  Worked a bit today on single plane swing and it was working well with this setup.
Cobra F9 10.5* w/ Tour AD-DI 6X
Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* 2W w/ TA Steel "The Unicorn"
Cobra F9 14.5* w/ Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
Cobra F9 17* Hybrid w/ Fujikura Atmos Black 7S
Cobra F8 OL 22* w/ Tour AD-DI 95S
Edel SLS-01 6-SW w/ Paderson Kinetixx 110S
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60* w/ Aldila Lobster 120S
Scotty Cameron Circle T X7M "Black Betty"

18

#1279 ry1808

ry1808

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299212
  • Joined: 02/27/2014
  • Location:Winston-Salem, NC (England at heart)
  • Handicap:0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

So Ive got my first tournament of the year over the next two days and screw it im going to play the SL.

Whats the worst that can happen!

Ill have my current gamers in the car in case Im spraying it all over the range!

19

#1280 longoffthetees

longoffthetees

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51055
  • Joined: 03/09/2008
  • Location:Georgia
  • Ebay ID:longoffthetees2
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:11 AM

Anyone else using single plane swing with your SL irons?

I'm thinking of tweaking a bit because it just seems like a much more repeatable swing to me.

Cobra F9 10.5* w/ Tour AD-DI 6X
Cleveland Hi-Bore 12* 2W w/ TA Steel "The Unicorn"
Cobra F9 14.5* w/ Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
Cobra F9 17* Hybrid w/ Fujikura Atmos Black 7S
Cobra F8 OL 22* w/ Tour AD-DI 95S
Edel SLS-01 6-SW w/ Paderson Kinetixx 110S
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60* w/ Aldila Lobster 120S
Scotty Cameron Circle T X7M "Black Betty"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#1281 OsnolaKinnard

OsnolaKinnard

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442454
  • Joined: 10/04/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:osnolakinnardb
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:31 PM

View Postlongoffthetees, on 12 February 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

Anyone else using single plane swing with your SL irons?

I'm thinking of tweaking a bit because it just seems like a much more repeatable swing to me.

I switched to SP prior to getting SL irons.  It was a very easy switch for me to make.  I already held a golf club like a baseball bat, so why the heck not swing a club like a bat?  I have given up zero distance, gained a lot of confidence and consistency, and combined with SL irons...was a good choice for me.

I am a fan of Kirk Junge/Moe Norman and also follow the old 'LAWS of Golf' principles for 'width/wide' players.
LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

21

#1282 g-off

g-off

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139544
  • Joined: 09/20/2011
  • Handicap:16.9
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

just ordered sls sand wedge, can't wait for it to get here, probably gonna be more for full shots than anything else, looking at maybe the cobra lob wedge for around the greens or trying a lighter shaft to lengthen my current sand wedge.  Hate to say but I almost feel like the bag is almost set........hahahahaha who am I kidding
driver unknown

steelhead xr heavenwood

steelhead xr 9 wood

hogan ft worth hi 22

edel sls 01 5-g

hogan tk 56

putter mia

always hoing the next best thing

22

#1283 ry1808

ry1808

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299212
  • Joined: 02/27/2014
  • Location:Winston-Salem, NC (England at heart)
  • Handicap:0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

Well that wasn't great! Haha.

I hit 14 real approach shots today.

Only 4 where acceptable (one great 6 iron from 170 to 2 feet)
3 where OK and playable
7 of them where miss-hits and put resulted in dropped shots

Playing again tomorrow and tempted to go back to VL but I'm out of the tournament so I'll give the SL a go again. Then a couple of other smaller tournaments before the qualifiers start in late March. Need to see an improvement over todays performance.

23

#1284 MountainGoat

MountainGoat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450210
  • Joined: 12/30/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1300

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:50 AM

View Postry1808, on 12 February 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

Well that wasn't great! Haha.

I hit 14 real approach shots today.

Only 4 where acceptable (one great 6 iron from 170 to 2 feet)
3 where OK and playable
7 of them where miss-hits and put resulted in dropped shots

Playing again tomorrow and tempted to go back to VL but I'm out of the tournament so I'll give the SL a go again. Then a couple of other smaller tournaments before the qualifiers start in late March. Need to see an improvement over todays performance.

For a scratch handicap, seven miss-hits sounds like a fitting issue.  No way that should happen.  If you told me you hit the short irons long and the long irons short, or you didn't like the launch angles, or you couldn't work the ball well enough, I'd say SL wasn't for you.  But, miss-hits?  There's something wrong there.  Job #1 for any fitter is to maximize the proportion of center strikes.  If that's not happening, your fitter failed, pure and simple.

24

#1285 9woodfan

9woodfan

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124629
  • Joined: 03/15/2011
  • Location:Canada
  • Ebay ID:bordercop41
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

It's hard to go SL when you swap back and forth between SL and VL. I didn't see consistent  performance and improvement until I stuck with it. I'll never go back...

Bag: PING Hoofer Camo
Driver: PING G30 11* SF Tec

Wood: Empty

Hybrid: Cobra F8 22*

Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-GW
Wedge: Vokey SM5 54/58/62*

Putter: SGC WB Northwood
Work done by Dan's Custom Golf


25

#1286 Rohlio

Rohlio

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
  • Joined: 11/16/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:31 AM

View Post9woodfan, on 13 February 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

It's hard to go SL when you swap back and forth between SL and VL. I didn't see consistent  performance and improvement until I stuck with it. I'll never go back...

I won't say never... But it is appearing very unlikely. If you are struggling with them it is likely between the ears... Just not trusting it.
WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

26

#1287 OsnolaKinnard

OsnolaKinnard

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442454
  • Joined: 10/04/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:osnolakinnardb
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:47 PM

View PostRohlio, on 13 February 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

View Post9woodfan, on 13 February 2019 - 09:33 AM, said:

It's hard to go SL when you swap back and forth between SL and VL. I didn't see consistent  performance and improvement until I stuck with it. I'll never go back...

I won't say never... But it is appearing very unlikely. If you are struggling with them it is likely between the ears... Just not trusting it.

I would do the following drill at the range when I first got my SLS01's.

I would hit each club one time from GW to 5 Iron and Back down again, concentrating on making the same swing, same ball position, same everything, and it helped me tremendously when I first got my irons.  Even if I thinned it, fatted, it, whatever...I just went from one club to the next up and down the range of clubs.
LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

27

#1288 stormbringer

stormbringer

    Stormbringer

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 307389
  • Joined: 04/09/2014
  • Location:Utah
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:stormbringer13
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:16 PM

I just purchased a as new set of Cobra F7 One Length 4-PW with KBS V shafts.  Only been to the range 3 times (snow still here in Utah) but thus far I like them.  Read that the 4 iron would be very difficult to hit.  That has not been my experience so far.  Not much trouble getting used to the 8-PW being longer and I do like the 6-4 being shorter.

Will report more when I have a chance to hit them.  I doubt I will change out my wedges to single length.

Mike.
Driver - Ping G400 Max 9.75 Ping Tour 65 Stiff
3 Wood - Ping Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
5 Wood - Cleveland Mashie 18 Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
Hybrid - Ping Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
Irons -  
Cobra F7 One Length 4-PW KBS V-100 Stiff
Wedges - Taylormade XFT 54 & 60 KBS Tour Wedge
Putter - Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter
Ball - Taylormade TP5

28

#1289 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1171

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:20 PM

View Poststormbringer, on 13 February 2019 - 06:16 PM, said:

I just purchased a as new set of Cobra F7 One Length 4-PW with KBS V shafts.  Only been to the range 3 times (snow still here in Utah) but thus far I like them.  Read that the 4 iron would be very difficult to hit.  That has not been my experience so far.  Not much trouble getting used to the 8-PW being longer and I do like the 6-4 being shorter.

Will report more when I have a chance to hit them.  I doubt I will change out my wedges to single length.

Mike.

I think they say the 4 iron is hard to hit based on club head speed. If you don't swing a 7 iron length club in the upper 80's or higher then 4 and 5 OL irons are less likely to be beneficial as you won't get enough peak height and carry on them.

Edited by pappaf2, 13 February 2019 - 06:21 PM.


29

#1290 pappaf2

pappaf2

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99231
  • Joined: 11/26/2009
  • Location:Bay Area, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1171

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

I got my Cobra OL 5 & 6 iron heads bent for loft and then shafted them up. The shop I took them too said the lofts of the irons off by a little from the factory (.5* and 1.5* weak respectively).


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors