Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Extensions on Jr Clubs? Flynn?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:18 PM

Has anyone had any success doing extensions on junior clubs? Currently using Flynn Irons with Flynn shafts and wondering if anyone has ever used extensions or any other hacks to get extensions to work? Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1714

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

View Postdarter79, on 30 January 2018 - 11:18 PM, said:

Has anyone had any success doing extensions on junior clubs? Currently using Flynn Irons with Flynn shafts and wondering if anyone has ever used extensions or any other hacks to get extensions to work? Thanks.

I have used extensions in metal woods.  They worked fine.  I wouldn't use them in steel irons, but I suppose you could.

#3 darter79

darter79

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 31 January 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

I have used extensions in metal woods.  They worked fine.  I wouldn't use them in steel irons, but I suppose you could.

still using graphite in the irons.  I was told before can't remember the source now that extensions wouldn't work b/c its too narrow.

#4 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1714

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

View Postdarter79, on 31 January 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

still using graphite in the irons.  I was told before can't remember the source now that extensions wouldn't work b/c its too narrow.

That can be true in junior clubs.  Cut down a JetSpeed driver a couple of years ago.  Had an extension put in and it became loose after about a month.  Took it back and he just loaded it with more epoxy to get it to stay and it worked fine.

The other thing you have to watch out for is adding an extension that is too long.  It can change the dynamics of the shaft and make it too whippy.

#5 TimberBeast

TimberBeast

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423152
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

View Postdarter79, on 31 January 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

When we bought our set of Mike Flynn's a couple years ago I asked Mike about it and that's what he said.  The shafts were too narrow for extensions.  I don't know if anything has changed since then, but that was his answer.

#6 Popeye64

Popeye64

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365587
  • Handicap:.2
  • Ebay ID:aughedogie
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

I would assume you are only lengthening the shafts a few inches at most. If standard extensions are too big you can use any old iron shaft you can dig up. Cut them up and epoxy. Almost everyone has some trash clubs laying around.

#7 redraider2k

redraider2k

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48965
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:23 PM

I have used wooden dowels as extensions in my son's clubs numerous times.  I use a dowel that almost fits into the butt of the shaft. Then sand or shave off a enough so that 1" of the dowel will fit snugly into the shaft.  After the epoxy dries, trim the dowel to the desired length. The dowel will be a smaller diameter then the outside diameter of the shaft.  I just use masking tape to wrap around the dowel to build it up to the same diameter as the shaft.  Then install the grip. Super easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors