Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

G400 vs G400 Max driver confusion??

622 replies to this topic

#241 Tzoid

Tzoid

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

View Post3_Putt_Par, on 10 February 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostByrdman2230, on 10 February 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

Tour 75X with a 100 mph swing??? You’re a better man than I. Or, this is definitely Golfwrx.

Not better or worse, just load the shaft hard at the transition and have always done better with a stiffer and heavier shaft (Modus 125 x in the irons).  I actually think that the Tour 75 shaft isn't as stiff as the Tour 65 shaft.  The Ping rep said that since the 75 comes tipped 1" in the driver the profile changes and the 65 has more of the stiff tip left since it isn't cut.  I thought the 75 S played really soft when compared with the 65 S.

If you look at the chart Ping makes about their shaft options, you can see that the 65 is actually a little stiffer than the respective 75 shaft though the 75 is heavier and has a lower launch profile.  More interesting is that it shows that the Alta CB X shaft is even stiffer than the 65 and as stiff as the HZRDUS yellow 6.5.

Ultimately, since there isn't an industry standard on stiffness, I just ignore the flex rating and try to swing with an open mind and just focus on the results and dial in the flight I'm looking for.  If you've got 9 minutes, check out this video on shaft flex that may make you think about shaft flex differently.  Despite what you might imagine, an X flex may help increase club head speed.

As for Aoa, I am usually a +1*, but due to the rust it was a bit all over the place.  Very well could be that my spin issues came when I was too steep and perhaps the heavier shaft helped me deliver the club on a more consistent plane.  I haven't hit the Rogue, so I can't say, but the G400 series is a seriously forgiving line of clubs.

I play a Aldia Rouge Silver 60 Stiff in my G 400 that I played in my G and it feels fantastic.  When the weather improved I'll probably try the Alta CB that came with the driver but my past experience was I spin the Alta too much but the ugly blue Alta CB that came with my G driver had to go anyway :)   That chart is very telling and I'm surprised that the Kuro Kage plays so soft but admittedly I have only hit that shaft a few times.

Ping G400 Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 degree Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Vokey SM6 50F 54S 58M
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Titleist Pro V-1X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#242 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,481 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 473

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:47 PM

View PostLaymanM, on 10 February 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

View Postarbeck, on 29 January 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

View PostLefty2021, on 29 January 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

Now I will say if they had do overs they'd condense these much like the 917 has a d2 and d3 head. With the removable weight able to perform the task of draw or fade bias. I don't think Ping particularly likes having 4 drivers to choose from but I don't think they anticipated people missing the 460 head. In my opinion if you want a G400 max just get the standard G model.

It wouldn't shock me if the manufacturing costs of having 4 different heads with fewer moveable parts is actually cheaper than two heads with moveable parts.

LOL those Taylormade weights in M3 cost 2 cents max
LOL. The weights might be .02 in material, but you are forgetting all of the tooling costs, finishing costs, assembly steps, and overhead related to managing the those extra parts. Let's also not forget the more complex castings which are more complicated from a manufacturing process perspective.

You would be amazed at the cost that one little weight could add to an assembly.

#243 LaymanM

LaymanM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130511
GolfWRX Likes : 424

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

View Postwundej, on 10 February 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Now I will say if they had do overs they'd condense these much like the 917 has a d2 and d3 head. With the removable weight able to perform the task of draw or fade bias. I don't think Ping particularly likes having 4 drivers to choose from but I don't think they anticipated people missing the 460 head. In my opinion if you want a G400 max just get the standard G model.

It wouldn't shock me if the manufacturing costs of having 4 different heads with fewer moveable parts is actually cheaper than two heads with moveable parts.

LOL. The weights might be .02 in material, but you are forgetting all of the tooling costs, finishing costs, assembly steps, and overhead related to managing the those extra parts. Let's also not forget the more complex castings which are more complicated from a manufacturing process perspective.

You would be amazed at the cost that one little weight could add to an assembly.

Not when it’s cheap s*** made in China.
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9
PING G5 2, 3, 4 hybrid
Callaway Apex MB 5-AW
Tommy Armour TA1 5-Gw (on order)
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 56/60
Bettinardi BB1 2016

#244 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 2,567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:48 AM

View PostKaexo, on 03 February 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

Every review I have seen about the G400 Max there has been no trade off in club head or ball speed compared to the G400 or other 440-445cc heads. Spin rates are on par or as low as the LST so in a sense Crossfield is right.

So I went as far as to test it. I currently game the Epic SZ w/ Kuro Kage duel core XT70-TX tour version. I did a head to head with the G400 Max vs Epic SZ vs F8+. Same shaft was used in all 3 with as close as possible lofts. The only difference is weight was forward in the SZ and F8+. Trackman was used with averages from 10 shots each.

Baseline Gamer Epic SZ Numbers

Club head speed: 113.9 mph
Ball Speed: 168.1 mph
Launch Angle: 11.3 degrees
Spin Rate: 2175 rpm
Carry Yards: 290
Total yards: 314

Cobra F8+

Club head speed: 114.2 mph
Ball speed: 167.8 mph
Launch angle: 10.8
Spin Rate: 2325 rpm
Carry total: 292
Total yards: 311

G400 Max

Club head speed: 114.1
Ball speed: 169.2
Launch Angle: 14.3
Spin rate: 2375 rpm
Carry total: 294
Total yards: 317

This is surprising especially with the spin rate of the 400 max and it confirms what every other review has had. I think Ping have been clever and maybe it's the wrap around heel weight but this thing is a monster.

They might be marketing it towards slower swing speeds but there is a reason 30% of ping staffers have this in the bag already.

Paired with an extremely low launching and low spin shaft it reminds me a lot of the 2016 M2 and a lot less punishing on mishits.

With that I might game this simply because it's more forgiving and the launch angle is higher with around the same spin which gave me slightly more distance.

My driver speed is just roughly 100mph.  When testing these same three clubs on Trackman, my results were virtually identical... I was shocked how the spin numbers AND forgiveness of G400 Max.

I also tested against a 4th club, G400 LST.  For me, Max was much straighter and more consistent... All while only having about 200mph more spin.

I ordered a G400 Max, digitally lofted at 9 (I play it at 8) with gee-loo slightly forward and towards the heal.

First time in a long time I've had the fortune of gaming an incredibly forgiving driver that is also low spin... Thank you, Ping!
PING G400 Max Driver 8º (digital) ~ Tour AD IZ-6
Callaway Rogue Fairway 4W 17º ~ Tour AD IZ-7
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 20º ~ Tour AD GT-75 UT
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 23º ~ Tour AD HY-85
Epon by Endo AF-503 Irons 5–PW ~ Project X 5.5 (Hard Stepped +1)
Titleist Vokey SM6 51.13 F Raw Hand Ground by Voke ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 57.09 M Raw Hand Ground by Voke ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 63.09 M Raw Hand Ground by Voke ~ Project X 5.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron Circle T Del Mar Buttonback Select Tour Prototype (A026140) ~ 34"
Titleist Pro V1 ~ #10

#245 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• 3,481 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

View PostLaymanM, on 10 February 2018 - 08:49 PM, said:

Not when it’s cheap s*** made in China.

Sorry, not correct. China used to be much, much cheaper than local manufacturing, recent times have changed. Wages and resources are rising substantially. It's still cheaper than the US, but it's still substantial cost.

Either way, adding parts adds cost. Doesn't matter how little or cheap those pieces are.

Edited by wundej, 11 February 2018 - 07:46 AM.

#246 jonn443

jonn443

Jonnystx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104882
GolfWRX Likes : 710

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

View PostHedgehog, on 31 January 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Mark Crossfield makes the point in he's PGA Demo Day video at 8:34

https://youtu.be/PKF_bV4OwJw?t=8m34s

Crossfield says he would go with the Max version all day long, and he knows a thing or two about golf.

Not a betting man but I have a feeling most of G400 users would have gone with Max also, if they would have had the option when they got fitted for the original G400 (when max was not offered yet).

Not necessarily true... the original G400 and LS sound and feel infinitely better then the MAX...Which would be a deal breaker for many.  I personally couldn't game a driver that sounded like an empty garbage can... no matter if it gave me 8 more yards.
AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

#247 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1143

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

View Postwjdpar1, on 08 February 2018 - 04:26 PM, said:

View PostNessism, on 30 January 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

G400 is 4.3% smaller than Gmax.  Such a small difference won't lead to a functional performance difference.  I agree that the timing of the Gmax release is a bit of a head scratcher but whatever.  Doesn't matter either way.

Wow, I've got to disagree with you.  I was just at the PGA Super Store about an hour ago.  Sat the regular g400 down vs the g400 max and the g400 max is visually MUCH larger to me.  I was surprised at the difference!  It is really bigger looking and not just at the address position even though there is only 15cc difference.

I don't know if that makes the max better than the regular g400 or not.  I did not hit the max so no thoughts on sound or feel.

I do own a G400 LST which I like (except for some grip issues).  I bought it about 5 weeks ago.  Now I've got that damn club ho feeling again.

Firstly I haven't seen the GMAX yet.

You do realize that the VOLUME is the amount of water displaced by the clubhead, correct ?

i.e. you could have a very deep face that looks small from the top and a very shallow face that looks huge from the top and they could both be the same volume.

Secondly, try this. You say you set the 2 clubs down (presumably side-by-side) right in front of you, yes ?

Take 2 of the exact same driver and do the same thing. Put them down in front of you with your eyes as close as you can to right between the 2 clubheads. Does one look larger than the other ? Now swap positions. Does the one on the same side as before still appear to be the larger (or smaller).

I can pretty much guarantee you that if you were handed driver after driver of 440cc and 460cc "on the blind" you'd score about 50%,,,,,,, because its a 50-50 "bet". i.e. you can't really tell the difference unless you've got both of them in your hands,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 56* SW & 64* LW
TaylorMade Tour Spider Black

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

#248 kermitm

kermitm

• 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26728
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

I was able to hit the g400 max today and was expecting not to like the club, but I thought it was fantastic.  The sound and feel are great with a club head that is very forgiving. This is the first really forgiving Driver that I have hit that keeps the spin in check.

#249 wchahn

wchahn

• 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481496
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:wh08
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

I have alternated between Ping and Taylormade drivers but had been gaming Ping drivers going from the G5-G10-G30-G. I launched the G way to high (and didn't love how it sounded), and so I tried a Taylormade M1 last summer. The fitter said it was a toss up by the numbers between the G and the M1 for me. In the end, hit some great drives but never loved it, and felt that with all of the adjustability it was almost silly that I had it in standard loft and neutral weights (tried a few other positions but this was best for me). I also didn't like the white/black look.

So I went back to my old G and put the tour stiff shaft in it. This combination works well but still didn't like the sound. I tried the G400 when it came out but it just didn't perform as well as the G for me. I really wanted to like the original G400 but decided I would live with the sound of the G.

When I heard about the G400 Max, I thought that this might be the answer. I went today and tried the G400 Max. Hit head to head, the G400 Max was a little more consistent that my G (same tour 65 shaft) both for distance and dispersion. Spin numbers around 2200, and I was getting my usual ball speed. The best thing was that it sounded and felt a lot better to me so I purchased the G400 Max, 9, stiff shaft (they only had the Alta CB in stock so I will use the Tour 65 shaft that I have). Traded my Taylormade M1 and a Ping putter that I wasn't using to soften the blow.

So for me, the G400 Max was the G400 I was looking for when the original came out. I'm glad I waited - partly because of the review that showed that all of the Ping, Taylormade, Callaway drivers over the past 5-6 years are largely the same when hit by someone with a better swing than me. In the end, I probably bought a driver that I didn't need but am happy to have.

Edited by wchahn, 11 February 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#250 Double Gee

Double Gee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31137
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

As shafts cost around $10, iron heads about $5 and driver heads about $20 made in China or Vietnam....please explain your theory of costing for a friggin screw.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#251 e-man

e-man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47555
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

Okay, so I went and tested both today at the PGA superstore. I tried both with 10.5 degrees of loft with the Alta CB shaft in regular and stiff flex (SS around 92).  

I know that feel and sound are subjective, but I noticed a substantial difference in feel and sound between the two clubs. The G400 felt solid and had a nice muted thwack whereas the max felt harsh and sounded very loud and pingy.   Also, for me, dispersion was much better with the standard version than the max.

One other thing I found very interesting was that the Alta CB shaft did not fit me very well. The standard G400 came alive when we put the Ping tour shaft in it in regular flex.  I also hit the tour stiff shaft, but that was too much shaft for me.

My one concern with the standard g400 was that the spin was a little low. Most good strikes had ball speed around 125-130, launch angle around 1314 and spin around 1900.  Ideally I'd like to see spin around 2300.  With the Alta shaft, the spin was higher, but the strikes didn't feel as solid.  Hope this helps.

#252 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• 3,481 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:33 PM

View PostDouble Gee, on 11 February 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

As shafts cost around $10, iron heads about $5 and driver heads about $20 made in China or Vietnam....please explain your theory of costing for a friggin screw.

Did you read the list of specific items I mentioned in the post you quoted? Once you have all the investment in design, tooling, manufacturing process development, supply chain management, and any other overhead related to managing quality and assembly of the extra parts...yes, ongoing manufacturing costs are minimal. The cost is in the upfront investment in items mentioned above, these are often considered non recurring engineering costs. A company is often going to look at NRE as well as ongoing manufacturing costs when making design decisions.

Anyone in the manufacturing industry that deals with Design for Assembly (DFA) will tell you manufacturing costs go up substantially when you start adding multiple components to an assembly. There is additional quality and testing needed, not to mention all the overhead related to supply chain management.

This is off topic, and I realize that it may not make a ton of sense if you don't specifically work in design or manufacturing engineering, so agree or not, we can move back on topic of the G400.

#253 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• 3,481 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

View Poste-man, on 11 February 2018 - 08:02 PM, said:

Okay, so I went and tested both today at the PGA superstore. I tried both with 10.5 degrees of loft with the Alta CB shaft in regular and stiff flex (SS around 92).  

I know that feel and sound are subjective, but I noticed a substantial difference in feel and sound between the two clubs. The G400 felt solid and had a nice muted thwack whereas the max felt harsh and sounded very loud and pingy.   Also, for me, dispersion was much better with the standard version than the max.

One other thing I found very interesting was that the Alta CB shaft did not fit me very well. The standard G400 came alive when we put the Ping tour shaft in it in regular flex.  I also hit the tour stiff shaft, but that was too much shaft for me.

My one concern with the standard g400 was that the spin was a little low. Most good strikes had ball speed around 125-130, launch angle around 13–14 and spin around 1900.  Ideally I'd like to see spin around 2300.  With the Alta shaft, the spin was higher, but the strikes didn't feel as solid.  Hope this helps.

I had similar results with the regular heads and the Alta. The Tour 65 was much better for me. I'm curious if you were on a radar LM (trackman or flightscope)? Those ball speeds were pretty low for 92mph, maybe not great contact?

Another thing you might want to try is bumping loft a bit, that'll give you a bit more launch and spin which would probably help out.

#254 e-man

e-man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:48 PM

View Postwundej, on 11 February 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

My one concern with the standard g400 was that the spin was a little low. Most good strikes had ball speed around 125-130, launch angle around 1314 and spin around 1900.  Ideally I'd like to see spin around 2300.  With the Alta shaft, the spin was higher, but the strikes didn't feel as solid.  Hope this helps.

I had similar results with the regular heads and the Alta. The Tour 65 was much better for me. I'm curious if you were on a radar LM (trackman or flightscope)? Those ball speeds were pretty low for 92mph, maybe not great contact?

Another thing you might want to try is bumping loft a bit, that'll give you a bit more launch and spin which would probably help out.

Not sure what PGA SS uses.  It was a small device on the ground with a red and green light.

Also, I can't say for sure that my SS is 92.  It could be closer to 90.  The device didn't measure club head speed, just ball speed.

For reference, I hit a 29 degree 6 iron 155 carry, 160 total, 7 iron 145 carry, 150 total.

And it wouldn't surprise me if contact wasn't great.  It's cold and snowing out and my swing doesn't feel great.

Oh, and I did try a 12 degree SFT g400 head.  It was okay but it was going left on me (could have been because I knew it was an SFT), so I couldn't get a feel for whether the 12 degree would help things.

Edited by e-man, 11 February 2018 - 11:51 PM.

#255 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• 3,481 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

View Poste-man, on 11 February 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

View Postwundej, on 11 February 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

My one concern with the standard g400 was that the spin was a little low. Most good strikes had ball speed around 125-130, launch angle around 13–14 and spin around 1900.  Ideally I'd like to see spin around 2300.  With the Alta shaft, the spin was higher, but the strikes didn't feel as solid.  Hope this helps.

Not sure what PGA SS uses.  It was a small device on the ground with a red and green light.

Also, I can't say for sure that my SS is 92.  It could be closer to 90.  The device didn't measure club head speed, just ball speed.

For reference, I hit a 29 degree 6 iron 155 carry, 160 total, 7 iron 145 carry, 150 total.

And it wouldn't surprise me if contact wasn't great.  It's cold and snowing out and my swing doesn't feel great.

Oh, and I did try a 12 degree SFT g400 head.  It was okay but it was going left on me (could have been because I knew it was an SFT), so I couldn't get a feel for whether the 12 degree would help things.

Got it. I think they use a GC2, it sits pretty close to the tee area, facing you? The reason I asked was related to swing speed. The radar units will give you a pretty good swing speed value but the units like the GC2 generally don't have the added head measuring attachment at most shops. Just was wondering if that speed was accurate.

You can also adjust the 10.5 to the + and "big"+ to raise the loft on that head. That will probably get you better launch/spin.

#256 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 549

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

Has anyone tried the 400 max with thd XTorsion Copper shaft compared to a previous experience or Demo with the Tour 65 or Alta 55?
Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Titleist 718 AP1 4-7 Iron, AP2 7-PW AMT Red
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

#257 e-man

e-man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

Great comparison review posted today.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=lnLZMs0eJ8E

#258 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1037

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:03 AM

View Poste-man, on 13 February 2018 - 10:49 PM, said:

Doesn't tell you much because he was not properly fit for the drivers -- far too much backspin, some poor shots on a handful of 'em.
"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Golf Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Rogue 4, 5 wd/GD AD F 55/65, ● TE Exotics EX10 GD ADHY 65 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-PW/Mitsu OT 75,  Miura Y Grind 50, K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno ● Callaway CS  ● Cart: Stewart Golf RS-1; Irons/Wedges built by Frank VIola @ www.aceofclubstp.com

#259 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 489

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

The SFT head can move the ball left up to 7 yards, but if the swing is too much of a cut swing, you can still slice it. The amount of the weight is not enough to save you no matter what. And if you are moving it more than 7 yards left, its not the club. The heel weighting offers a little help for the over the toppers, but thats it. A swing that severly hooks is a poor swing that would hook any other driver, too.

As for Shiels, he is an entertainer, not an authority, and he is more annoying than entertaining. Watch and forget. When he starts breaking down corporate decisions, he is out of his depth. To base a buying decision on what he thinks would never cross my mind. So Ping released a driver a whopping 15ccs bigger than the initial release. It is a 3 percent difference. Big deal. I view it as just another head in the G400 lineup.
Current lineup:

Callaway Rogue driver, 9 degree, Project X Evenflow Blue S, 75g.
Callaway XR16 3 wood, 15 degree, Fukijura Evo II shaft
Callaway Apex hybrid, 20 degree, Kuro Kage 80HY stiff shaft
Wilson Staff C300 Forged irons, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105 X shafts
Mizuno S5 gap wedge, 50.08, Nippon 1150 GH Tour shaft
Wilson Staff PMP Tour wedge, 56 degree, tour grind, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 shaft
Fourteen RM12 58.12 sand wedge, Dynamic Gold wedge shaft
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft.
COMING: TaylorMade Hi-Toe wedge, 60 degree

#260 driveandputtmachine

driveandputtmachine

4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question!

• 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302417
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

Ping people finally feeling what the TM people complained about with the constant releases.  LOL

In all seriousness though.

If you go and get fit for your driver, like people on here preach constantly and you were fitted into the regular 400, then the 400 MAX won't fit you better.   If you bought it off the rack then you don't know that the MAX fits you better and you just want to complain.

Driver - Cobra F8+ on Aldila NV 2KXV Green
Fairway - Callaway F8+ on UST Axivcore Black
Hybrid - TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130
Irons - Srixon 565 4-6 on Nippon Modus 130.
Srixon 765 7-PW on Nippon Modus 130
Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 2.0 50*, 54*, 60* w/ Nippon 130
Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Sunset Beach Custom - Ocean Isle Beach black
Ball - Snell MTB or Srixon Z Star XV

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#261 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204655
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

View Postdriveandputtmachine, on 14 February 2018 - 08:18 AM, said:

If you ... were fitted into the regular 400, then the 400 MAX won't fit you better.
And this is based on what facts? :D
G400 SFT 10° HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
M2 2017 3HL AD DI 6X
TM Rescue AD DI H 85X
Ping i200 4-5 Modus3
Ping iBlade 6-PW Modus3
RTX2.0 50°/54°/59°
Scotty GoLo5 SS Flatso 2.0
Pro V1

#262 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204655
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

Great comparison, goes to show G400Max is basically outperforming the G400 in every category. Witch one to pick will be based on looks and feel (sound). To me the Max looks a truck loads better behind the ball and performance was just plain better then G400.
G400 SFT 10° HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
M2 2017 3HL AD DI 6X
TM Rescue AD DI H 85X
Ping i200 4-5 Modus3
Ping iBlade 6-PW Modus3
RTX2.0 50°/54°/59°
Scotty GoLo5 SS Flatso 2.0
Pro V1

#263 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 5537

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:21 AM

So the bottom line is, if you like the way GMax looks or "feels" then you ought to buy it. Otherwise, stick with G400. Both of them perform very well.

Not exactly a unique situation in the history of club ho'ing.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#264 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1143

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:22 AM

View PostHedgehog, on 14 February 2018 - 10:10 AM, said:

Great comparison, goes to show G400Max is basically outperforming the G400 in every category. Witch one to pick will be based on looks and feel (sound). To me the Max looks a truck loads better behind the ball and performance was just plain better then G400.

Did we watch the same video ??? :dntknw:
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 56* SW & 64* LW
TaylorMade Tour Spider Black

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

#265 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• 4,603 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
  • Handicap:+.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1447

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:24 AM

Neither of those drivers performed well for him.  Guy should try the LS.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

#266 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:25 AM

View Postnsxguy, on 14 February 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

Did we watch the same video ??? :dntknw:

Maybe it's one of those Rorschach videos, what you see depends more on what's going on in your head than what's actually on the video.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#267 RodrigoNicely

RodrigoNicely

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487678
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

I cannot believe we have made 9 pages out of this. Going to try the max out but can’t see 15cc making that much difference. If it does I’ll but one and not blame ping for making me buy the G400 when it first launched ������

#268 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,178 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

I think if I had bought a G400 a few weeks after it launched and was then gobsmacked by them releasing the GMax shortly after, I'd sure think twice before splashing out for a GMax as soon as it is launched. That seems kind of like the old fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

#269 Daniel Noonan

Daniel Noonan

L.O.F.T.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80376
  • Ebay ID:ballen7272
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

Hopefully all the haters don't buy one. I don't want every geek off the street trying to copy me.

p.s: They aren't closed. They sound fine. They are rocket lauinchers.

#270 Boiler0007

Boiler0007

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483750
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

I have the SFT with no plans of changing.... As of now :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors