Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Kiawah Ocean course next weekend


57 replies to this topic

#1 Downtown_Brown_41

Downtown_Brown_41

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400330
  • Joined: 10/21/2015
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Hey guys I am playing no the ocean course next Saturday and would like to heR any suggestions or insights from those that have played it. I'm going to walk and probably won't do use a caddie

Thank you

Nike Vapor Pro Fubuki
M1 3hl Fuji 8.2 or Tensei Pro White 80
SLDR 3H Tour Blue 105/ Nike VFP 2i PXI
Srixon 945 4-P Modus 130
TM Tp EF 52į & 60į
Titleist SM5 56M
YES! Tracy II
TP5X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 mci711

mci711

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostDowntown_Brown_41, on 25 January 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

Hey guys I am playing no the ocean course next Saturday and would like to heR any suggestions or insights from those that have played it. I'm going to walk and probably won't do use a caddie

Thank you

What you will probably hear the most, and something I agree with - get a drink at the Ryder Cup bar after. I played a later round a couple weeks ago, and took in the sunset at the bar and it was amazing. Hit a tee shot from the back tees on 14, best view on the property. I played once with a caddie and once without, I don't think you need to have one, but for 100 bucks (what they all expect, no less no more) it is a pretty good deal to have someone carry for you.

2

#3 Downtown_Brown_41

Downtown_Brown_41

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400330
  • Joined: 10/21/2015
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

Thank you! I will definitely be having a couple drinks afterwards. Is the course firm? I haven't played near the coast in over a year
Nike Vapor Pro Fubuki
M1 3hl Fuji 8.2 or Tensei Pro White 80
SLDR 3H Tour Blue 105/ Nike VFP 2i PXI
Srixon 945 4-P Modus 130
TM Tp EF 52į & 60į
Titleist SM5 56M
YES! Tracy II
TP5X

3

#4 kgeisler13

kgeisler13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314595
  • Joined: 05/13/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

I'd take a caddy if you don't mind paying for it.  They will give you advice on where to hit it on the holes.  I would just suggest taking in all the views, its a beautiful piece of property.
KG

4

#5 mci711

mci711

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

View PostDowntown_Brown_41, on 26 January 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

Thank you! I will definitely be having a couple drinks afterwards. Is the course firm? I haven't played near the coast in over a year

When I played it, fairways were not overly firm. Nothing like Bandon or a true "links" course. Greens were firm though, never left a spike mark and even ball marks were minimal. That's what makes it tough, it is a links set up, on the ocean with a lot of wind, but you can't really play the bump and run and low shots into greens.


5

#6 okular

okular

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472770
  • Joined: 06/25/2017
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:2.1
  • Ebay ID:smooth.operatur
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

great course, absolutely one of the best in the country.  i think you have to take a caddie, at least you used to, haven't been there for a few years.  id recommend one.

its similar to whistling straits, in that, its a playable course, but it can go south real quickly.  play smart and dont take huge risks if you want to enjoy your round and salvage a respectable score.  

play your game and stay in the fairway.  the winds can add a completely different dimension of complexity to the round.

its a beautiful course, property and grounds.  take your time, appreciate the beauty and thought Dye puts into his courses, he is a legend for a reason.

enjoy the walk and watch out for alligators!

6

#7 fsutanker

fsutanker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74817
  • Joined: 02/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:15 AM

All bunkers are considered waste areas so be sure to get your practice swings in.

Iíll be there 2 weeks from today. Keeping an eye on the weather.

All bunkers are considered waste areas so be sure to get your practice swings in.

Iíll be there 2 weeks from today. Keeping an eye on the weather.

7

#8 krtgolfing

krtgolfing

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430202
  • Joined: 06/23/2016
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:5.9
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

View Postokular, on 26 January 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

great course, absolutely one of the best in the country.  i think you have to take a caddie, at least you used to, haven't been there for a few years.  id recommend one.

its similar to whistling straits, in that, its a playable course, but it can go south real quickly.  play smart and dont take huge risks if you want to enjoy your round and salvage a respectable score.  

play your game and stay in the fairway.  the winds can add a completely different dimension of complexity to the round.

its a beautiful course, property and grounds.  take your time, appreciate the beauty and thought Dye puts into his courses, he is a legend for a reason.

enjoy the walk and watch out for alligators!

Caddies are not required.
Taylor Made M2 Driver
Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

8

#9 okular

okular

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472770
  • Joined: 06/25/2017
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:2.1
  • Ebay ID:smooth.operatur
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

View Postkrtgolfing, on 26 January 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

View Postokular, on 26 January 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

great course, absolutely one of the best in the country.  i think you have to take a caddie, at least you used to, haven't been there for a few years.  id recommend one.

its similar to whistling straits, in that, its a playable course, but it can go south real quickly.  play smart and dont take huge risks if you want to enjoy your round and salvage a respectable score.  

play your game and stay in the fairway.  the winds can add a completely different dimension of complexity to the round.

its a beautiful course, property and grounds.  take your time, appreciate the beauty and thought Dye puts into his courses, he is a legend for a reason.

enjoy the walk and watch out for alligators!

Caddies are not required.

Ahhh okay, a few years ago when i was there i thought they were, either way was glad to have used one ( we used the same guy all four days ).

9

#10 mci711

mci711

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Not sure if this is applicable to you or not, but I ubered from the airport..It is impossible to Uber out. So I was stuck there, luckily my caddie was going that way and he brought me haha.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 4526

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

So if there were a up-to-date cover version of the Eagles song it would be "Welcome to the Hotel California. You can Uber in any time you like but you can never Uber out".
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

11

#12 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

It was looking a bit different a few weeks ago. Have fun. It's been windy.
1515073787548_85.jpg
Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Ping G 3w stock Alta Stiff 42.25Ē
F6 Baffler 5w stock Matrix Stiff
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Forged TEC 5-PW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 52* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

12

#13 kailam19

kailam19

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83234
  • Joined: 05/18/2009
  • Ebay ID:mrklam19
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

View Postfsutanker, on 26 January 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

All bunkers are considered waste areas so be sure to get your practice swings in.

I'll be there 2 weeks from today. Keeping an eye on the weather.

All bunkers are considered waste areas so be sure to get your practice swings in.

I'll be there 2 weeks from today. Keeping an eye on the weather.

watching the weather as well, ill be out there the same time. Praying it hits the 60s

13

#14 mci711

mci711

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:15 PM

View Postkailam19, on 26 January 2018 - 12:57 PM, said:

View Postfsutanker, on 26 January 2018 - 11:15 AM, said:

All bunkers are considered waste areas so be sure to get your practice swings in.

I'll be there 2 weeks from today. Keeping an eye on the weather.

All bunkers are considered waste areas so be sure to get your practice swings in.

I'll be there 2 weeks from today. Keeping an eye on the weather.

watching the weather as well, ill be out there the same time. Praying it hits the 60s

I was super lucky, played a couple days before christmas, got 70 and sunny. The next week was 40s/30s.

14

#15 Downtown_Brown_41

Downtown_Brown_41

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400330
  • Joined: 10/21/2015
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

My girlfriend will be walking with me and she's going to bring a nice camera to get pictures. I'm pumped as it is my first course in the top 100. Hopefully the driver is cooperating and the wind doesn't get too ridiculous. I love difficult courses so it should be a blast

Nike Vapor Pro Fubuki
M1 3hl Fuji 8.2 or Tensei Pro White 80
SLDR 3H Tour Blue 105/ Nike VFP 2i PXI
Srixon 945 4-P Modus 130
TM Tp EF 52į & 60į
Titleist SM5 56M
YES! Tracy II
TP5X

15

#16 Ralphyboy84

Ralphyboy84

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363167
  • Joined: 02/19/2015
  • Location:Carnoustie, Scotland
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Played there 2 years ago. Didnít think it merited the hype but it was ok. Ask for Greg if youíre looking for a caddy. He was excellent 👍🏻

16

#17 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
  • Joined: 04/18/2011
  • Location:James Island SC
GolfWRX Likes : 3844

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

Iím playing at Kiawah tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.  Raining now and looks like it will continue through tomorrow morning.  Not playing the Ocean, but, will see if I can get some info and let you know something.

17

#18 hangontight

hangontight

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

View Postmci711, on 26 January 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostDowntown_Brown_41, on 26 January 2018 - 12:12 AM, said:

Thank you! I will definitely be having a couple drinks afterwards. Is the course firm? I haven't played near the coast in over a year

When I played it, fairways were not overly firm. Nothing like Bandon or a true "links" course. Greens were firm though, never left a spike mark and even ball marks were minimal. That's what makes it tough, it is a links set up, on the ocean with a lot of wind, but you can't really play the bump and run and low shots into greens.

Correct here.  It looslks linksy but really isn't.  The grass(seashore paspalum) can sticky and can't really run shots in like you can on true links.  Don't be afraid to putt from off green though on those tight lies.

18

#19 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 4526

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

The grasses needed for links turf will not grow in South Carolina’s climate. Anyone wanting to play on links turf will need to visit a place where the weather, pardon the term, sucks.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

19

#20 fsutanker

fsutanker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74817
  • Joined: 02/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

View Postoldschoolrocker, on 28 January 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

Iím playing at Kiawah tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.  Raining now and looks like it will continue through tomorrow morning.  Not playing the Ocean, but, will see if I can get some info and let you know something.

Looking forward to your recap. Playing all but Oak In 2 weeks.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Stetson

Stetson

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199816
  • Joined: 08/24/2012
  • Location:Nebraska
GolfWRX Likes : 419

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

I played it about a month ago. Yes go to the Ryder Cup room after.  As for the course itself just make sure to play the middle of the fairway and middle of the green. Donít try and be a hero, as the course and winds will surely get the best of any greed. Enjoy the scenery, especially the back 9, which is much better than the front 9.

Also, note the tree Rory hit his ball into is gone. Also it is like a million yards from the back tee box, so my ego really hopes the teeís were up that day (temperature was about 50* warmer for sure)
Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
3w: Ping G400 SFT (Xtorsion Copperhead)
3H: Exotics EX10 19* (Recoil 680)
3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Steelfiber 95)
4-P: Bridgestone J40 CB (Steelfiber 110)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
Putter: Ping Nome TR

21

#22 Stetson

Stetson

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199816
  • Joined: 08/24/2012
  • Location:Nebraska
GolfWRX Likes : 419

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 26 January 2018 - 11:51 AM, said:

So if there were a up-to-date cover version of the Eagles song it would be "Welcome to the Hotel California. You can Uber in any time you like but you can never Uber out".

Fact.
Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
3w: Ping G400 SFT (Xtorsion Copperhead)
3H: Exotics EX10 19* (Recoil 680)
3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Steelfiber 95)
4-P: Bridgestone J40 CB (Steelfiber 110)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
Putter: Ping Nome TR

22

#23 rcubed3r

rcubed3r

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95168
  • Joined: 09/25/2009
  • Location:Central NC
  • Ebay ID:rcubed3r
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

I am almost certain that caddies are required after noon, but not before.
My son and I will be there in a couple of weeks.
Ron

23

#24 doubledub

doubledub

    Rookie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422176
  • Joined: 04/23/2016
  • Location:West Texas
  • Handicap:+.5
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

I suggest taking a caddy, there are a lot of holes where you will have you head in a yardage book trying to pick a line instead of being able to fully take the course in.

24

#25 krtgolfing

krtgolfing

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430202
  • Joined: 06/23/2016
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:5.9
GolfWRX Likes : 250

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

View Postrcubed3r, on 29 January 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

I am almost certain that caddies are required after noon, but not before.
My son and I will be there in a couple of weeks.
Ron

https://kiawahresort...addie-services/

"Kiawah Island Golf Resort is proud to offer the services of walking caddies and forecaddies at The Ocean Course. The caddie program, established in 2000, has quickly developed into a hallmark of The Ocean Course golf experience. When combined with the natural seaside setting and the award winning Pete Dye design, walking The Ocean Course with a caddie by your side is a remarkable and memorable experience. Located on the exposed far eastern end of the island, The Ocean Course is buffeted by unpredictable ocean winds. The knowledge and guidance of a caddie is enormously helpful for any player navigating the seaside links of the Ocean Course and its unique challenges.

Our professional caddies are employees of Kiawah Island Golf Resort; some have been with The Ocean Course since the inception of the caddie program. They assist in reading greens, providing accurate yardages, and offer invaluable strategic insight for playing each hole. In addition to their help with playing The Ocean Course, they hold a wealth of knowledge about the history of Kiawah Island, all our golf courses, the environment surrounding the golf course and other resort amenities, essentially an on course concierge of sorts for all our golfers.

The Ocean Course is walking only prior to noon and is cart path only at all times. Anyone wishing to utilize a golf cart may book a tee time after 12:00pm. Walking is allowed all day and caddies are not mandatory but are highly recommended. However, anyone using a golf cart after noon is required to use a forecaddie. There are no fees for the services of a caddie, gratuities are graciously accepted. Recommended gratuities are $100 per player for walking caddies and $50 per player for a forecaddie, based on service. Caddies services may be reserved at the other Kiawah courses based on staffing levels. Reservations must be made in advance for caddie services at our other golf courses."

Edited by krtgolfing, 30 January 2018 - 10:00 AM.

Taylor Made M2 Driver
Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5

25

#26 tiderider

tiderider

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Joined: 06/13/2014
  • Location:b'ham
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

played tgiving weekend ... carried the first day and had a caddie the second ... caddies are not required if walking ... at any times ... that said, those greens are firm and fast and you will score 10 strokes higher without a caddie due to putting issues only ... well, maybe not 10, but at least 5 ...

Edited by tiderider, 30 January 2018 - 10:15 AM.


26

#27 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

    My Girl Duffners

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Joined: 10/03/2012
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 6053

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

If youíre forgoing a caddie, either buy a yardage book in the prshop or study the online book like crazy for lines off the tee.

Going long on most approaches is death/leaves you in a crap position.

Everything is lateral hazard for public play so no need to hit provisional unless you think you have lost it or have no idea where the appropriate drop would be.

Number 10 is a fun hole because you usually get a nice tail wind and you can bomb it haha.

Hitting the green on 3 is imperative due to the elevated green and speed of the greens.

Learn how to hit off of compact sand. The trails are waste areas. You can ground your club in them.

Donít put too much pressure on yourself to score well. Itís a lot to take in visually and mentally taxing as you want to play well but youíre at a beautiful and semi historic course. Take lots of pictures and enjoy the crap out of it!

Lastly, the caddies do help and they are awesome, but if youíre a decent putter, the greens wonít kill you. I personally donít think they are super tough to read/gauge. Iíve played there 5 or 6 times and had a forecaddie in our group once. I wouldnít say he saved me a bunch of strokes but the best reason to get a caddie is for the lines off the tee and lines from blind places. He helped me tremendously there as I was routinely either going way off the course with where I thought I should have. He also allowed me to hit lines that I thought were impossible but were the best and easiest line to play the hole.

Edited by Papa Johick, 30 January 2018 - 04:42 PM.

Driver: Callaway GBB with Fuji Evo III 569SR

3W: Callaway XR16 with Fuji Evo II TS 765S

Irons: Wilson C300 Forged 3-PW with KBS 105S

Wedges: Wilson PMP 52* with DG S400
                Callaway PM 60* with KBS Tour V wedge

Putter: Byron Morgan Bombora Mystic

27

#28 rcubed3r

rcubed3r

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95168
  • Joined: 09/25/2009
  • Location:Central NC
  • Ebay ID:rcubed3r
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 30 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

View Postrcubed3r, on 29 January 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

I am almost certain that caddies are required after noon, but not before.
My son and I will be there in a couple of weeks.
Ron
Oops...I meant to state the opposite of that!

28

#29 Downtown_Brown_41

Downtown_Brown_41

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400330
  • Joined: 10/21/2015
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

View PostPapa Johick, on 30 January 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

If youíre forgoing a caddie, either buy a yardage book in the prshop or study the online book like crazy for lines off the tee.

Going long on most approaches is death/leaves you in a crap position.

Everything is lateral hazard for public play so no need to hit provisional unless you think you have lost it or have no idea where the appropriate drop would be.

Number 10 is a fun hole because you usually get a nice tail wind and you can bomb it haha.

Hitting the green on 3 is imperative due to the elevated green and speed of the greens.

Learn how to hit off of compact sand. The trails are waste areas. You can ground your club in them.

Donít put too much pressure on yourself to score well. Itís a lot to take in visually and mentally taxing as you want to play well but youíre at a beautiful and semi historic course. Take lots of pictures and enjoy the crap out of it!

Lastly, the caddies do help and they are awesome, but if youíre a decent putter, the greens wonít kill you. I personally donít think they are super tough to read/gauge. Iíve played there 5 or 6 times and had a forecaddie in our group once. I wouldnít say he saved me a bunch of strokes but the best reason to get a caddie is for the lines off the tee and lines from blind places. He helped me tremendously there as I was routinely either going way off the course with where I thought I should have. He also allowed me to hit lines that I thought were impossible but were the best and easiest line to play the hole.

Unfortunately I tweaked my lower back today so I'm hoping I'll be alright by Saturday. If so, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a caddie. I don't want to be frustrated not having any clue where to hit it on such a beautiful piece of land. I've been working on some compact sand shots as it's been wet here. Very different but I sort of like it for some reason.
Nike Vapor Pro Fubuki
M1 3hl Fuji 8.2 or Tensei Pro White 80
SLDR 3H Tour Blue 105/ Nike VFP 2i PXI
Srixon 945 4-P Modus 130
TM Tp EF 52į & 60į
Titleist SM5 56M
YES! Tracy II
TP5X

29

#30 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

    My Girl Duffners

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Joined: 10/03/2012
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 6053

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:12 PM

View PostDowntown_Brown_41, on 30 January 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

View PostPapa Johick, on 30 January 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

If youíre forgoing a caddie, either buy a yardage book in the prshop or study the online book like crazy for lines off the tee.

Going long on most approaches is death/leaves you in a crap position.

Everything is lateral hazard for public play so no need to hit provisional unless you think you have lost it or have no idea where the appropriate drop would be.

Number 10 is a fun hole because you usually get a nice tail wind and you can bomb it haha.

Hitting the green on 3 is imperative due to the elevated green and speed of the greens.

Learn how to hit off of compact sand. The trails are waste areas. You can ground your club in them.

Donít put too much pressure on yourself to score well. Itís a lot to take in visually and mentally taxing as you want to play well but youíre at a beautiful and semi historic course. Take lots of pictures and enjoy the crap out of it!

Lastly, the caddies do help and they are awesome, but if youíre a decent putter, the greens wonít kill you. I personally donít think they are super tough to read/gauge. Iíve played there 5 or 6 times and had a forecaddie in our group once. I wouldnít say he saved me a bunch of strokes but the best reason to get a caddie is for the lines off the tee and lines from blind places. He helped me tremendously there as I was routinely either going way off the course with where I thought I should have. He also allowed me to hit lines that I thought were impossible but were the best and easiest line to play the hole.

Unfortunately I tweaked my lower back today so I'm hoping I'll be alright by Saturday. If so, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a caddie. I don't want to be frustrated not having any clue where to hit it on such a beautiful piece of land. I've been working on some compact sand shots as it's been wet here. Very different but I sort of like it for some reason.

Oh man that stinks. I hope it feels better for you. Itís a great course and caddie or no caddie itís worth it.


Driver: Callaway GBB with Fuji Evo III 569SR

3W: Callaway XR16 with Fuji Evo II TS 765S

Irons: Wilson C300 Forged 3-PW with KBS 105S

Wedges: Wilson PMP 52* with DG S400
                Callaway PM 60* with KBS Tour V wedge

Putter: Byron Morgan Bombora Mystic

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


    geauxtigers777

GolfWRX Sponsors