Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What to Watch out for in College Program

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:15 AM

I am looking around the internet and I don't see anything about this.  I know you have to start early on getting together a list of colleges and be proactive if your kids want to get a good scholarship.

Looking over college programs I have notice many places are not created equal.  So what is some things we need to watch out for? Obviously a bad cultural fit is big no no.  I would think a program where the kids are not graduating or encouraged to take "easy classes" is just as bad.

Edited by tiger1873, 25 January 2018 - 11:16 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1049

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Not sure if I really understand the question.  There are resources at Junior Golf Scoreboard and AJGA that you can use.  AJGA it comes with the membership.  JGS is free I believe.  There definitely isn't a manual on how to get a scholarship.

This is golf, not Football or Basketball.  Football, Basketball, and other head count sports can get kids through at many institutions that wouldn't normally meet their academic requirements.  You can't do this for golf and other equivalency sports.  Not only do you have to meet the NCAA clearinghouse requirements, you have to meet the universities academic standards.  

All athletes have an academic adviser.  There are several academic advisers on campus that only handle athletes.  They talk to the athlete and get to know them.  The academic adviser makes your schedule for you according to your major.  Athletes are the first students to have class schedules as the advisers schedule the classes around your athletic schedule.  My daughters golf team does not have class on Fridays.  

When you go to schools on official visits you meet the other players.  You will know real quick if you fit in or not.  The kids and parents also talk.  We found a couple of coaches that told us one thing and another recruit something the totally opposite on just general questions.  One of the schools the coach was fired within several months of our visit and we knew why.

When the student is in the 8th grade they need to start emailing and calling coaches.  My 7th grader will start doing these things this summer.  His schedule next year as an 8th grader will be near universities that he is interested in attending.  He will email and call the coaches and let them know that he will be in the area playing.

If you or anyone have a question about it, don't hesitate to pm me.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 25 January 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 25 January 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

Not sure if I really understand the question.  There are resources at Junior Golf Scoreboard and AJGA that you can use.  AJGA it comes with the membership.  JGS is free I believe.  There definitely isn't a manual on how to get a scholarship.

This is golf, not Football or Basketball.  Football, Basketball, and other head count sports can get kids through at many institutions that wouldn't normally meet their academic requirements.  You can't do this for golf and other equivalency sports.  Not only do you have to meet the NCAA clearinghouse requirements, you have to meet the universities academic standards.  

All athletes have an academic adviser.  There are several academic advisers on campus that only handle athletes.  They talk to the athlete and get to know them.  The academic adviser makes your schedule for you according to your major.  Athletes are the first students to have class schedules as the advisers schedule the classes around your athletic schedule.  My daughters golf team does not have class on Fridays.  

When you go to schools on official visits you meet the other players.  You will know real quick if you fit in or not.  The kids and parents also talk.  We found a couple of coaches that told us one thing and another recruit something the totally opposite on just general questions.  One of the schools the coach was fired within several months of our visit and we knew why.

When the student is in the 8th grade they need to start emailing and calling coaches.  My 7th grader will start doing these things this summer.  His schedule next year as an 8th grader will be near universities that he is interested in attending.  He will email and call the coaches and let them know that he will be in the area playing.

If you or anyone have a question about it, don't hesitate to pm me.

I was wondering what other people have encountered when they are recruiting and what problems they might have seen after they actually started. I know about talking to players and coaches and feeling like you fit in.

I often heard getting an athletic scholarship is like getting a job. I also heard that some of the top schools are "mills" and should be avoided.  Lots of people I know have kids who got scholarships not just golf and they all say look at the big picture of the program.  Sometimes you end up with a great coach but bad program or athletic director.

#4 jhfulton20

jhfulton20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490130
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:flyfishforreds
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

As a high school coach and teacher, I will advise watching out for  schools that offer "scholarships".

Do the math always.    A 3000$ scholarship to a school with 21000$  tutition is not a good deal, unless that is your #1 academic choice. But you would be amazed at the parents who want this just for the fact that they can say billy bob is on a "golf, baseball...." scholarship.

#5 MathiasAndersen

MathiasAndersen

Denmarkian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425488
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:45 AM

Depending on how old your kid is I would recommend talking to as many coaches as possible. In the start it doesn't even matter if they are interested in the school or not, but asking questions about practice, fitness, recruiting, and qualifying and so on are important as it will give your kid a feel for how everything works. It's different for each school. Some schools have fitness training with the team 3 times a week, others don't at all. Ask questions, and if possible then find some previous students e-mails or phone numbers and call them ask what their perspective was versus the coaches, I'm sure many students would gladly talk about it.

Driver: Taylormade R15 460 9.5* - Graphite Design AD-DI 6X
Wood: Taylormade M1 2017 15* Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70g S
Hybrid: Titleist 915Hd Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 80g S
Driving Iron: Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff 110
Irons: Mizuno MP-15 4-p KBS C-Taper Stiff 120
Wedges: Titleist SM5 52*-08* F, 56*-10* M, 60*-07* S
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Grips: Golfpride multi compound white/black
Ball: Pro V1

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

View Postjhfulton20, on 25 January 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

As a high school coach and teacher, I will advise watching out for  schools that offer "scholarships".

Not sure I understand this.

#7 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 26 January 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

The way i understand this is a lot schools out hike tuition and then offer lots of small scholarships to kids in the hope the will sign up because they get a scholarship and a chance to play a sport. I seen this a lot and you better off going to a good school you like and pay for it then go to a bad school.

Edited by tiger1873, 26 January 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 26 January 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

The way i understand this is a lot schools out hike tuition and then offer lots of small scholarships to kids in the hope the will sign up because they get a scholarship and a chance to play a sport. I seen this a lot and you better off going to a good school you like and pay for it then go to a bad school.

Schools do not hike up tuition.  Private schools charge what they want.  Public Universities are less expensive unless you go out of state.  Out of state universities have an out of state fee.  There is no way around that fee.

Golf is an equivalency sport.  Not everyone is offered full rides.  The NCAA limits scholarships to equivalency sports.  Girls D1 golf teams get 6 scholarships for an 8-14 girl squad.  Top 2 usually get full then they split 4 up for the rest.  D2 gets 5.4 scholarships, but the most they can offer athletically is 50%.  

In the NCAA there are only 4 head count sports for women.  Head count sports the only option is a full ride.  These sports are basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and tennis.  Every other women’s sports has limitations.  It isn’t the school that determines these, it is the NCAA.

#9 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 January 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

Schools do not hike up tuition.  Private schools charge what they want.  Public Universities are less expensive unless you go out of state.  Out of state universities have an out of state fee.  There is no way around that fee.

Golf is an equivalency sport.  Not everyone is offered full rides.  The NCAA limits scholarships to equivalency sports.  Girls D1 golf teams get 6 scholarships for an 8-14 girl squad.  Top 2 usually get full then they split 4 up for the rest.  D2 gets 5.4 scholarships, but the most they can offer athletically is 50%.  

In the NCAA there are only 4 head count sports for women.  Head count sports the only option is a full ride.  These sports are basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and tennis.  Every other women’s sports has limitations.  It isn’t the school that determines these, it is the NCAA.

A lot D1 schools will offer academic scholarships with atheletic.  The end result is the same. This why academic study’s help a lot with schools.

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:33 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 28 January 2018 - 02:38 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 January 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

A lot D1 schools will offer academic scholarships with atheletic.  The end result is the same. This why academic study’s help a lot with schools.

It isn’t what the institute offers in Academic money.  It is what the students earn in academic money and they have to apply for it.  It isn’t given.  Anyone can get academic money from any collegiate institution in the country if they earn it.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 28 January 2018 - 06:34 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors