Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Picking a golf/swing coach

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 366

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:45 PM

My 7 YO kid  has attended a golf academy before but we stopped last fall.   We plan to send him to a local Nike golf camp nearby this summer.  My plans include NOT having a golf/swing coach for at least 3-4 more years.

So the question is this: I know that in a few years (probably around age 10-12(?)) that, if he is still interested in golf, he will need professional help beyond what I can teach him.  How does one evaluate finding a golf/swing coach?  I realize that this is a pretty open ended question, but any tips, lessons learned, personal experiences, etc... would be great.

My initial thought is to send him to some of these summer camps because he will likely find them fun, will likely learn something and because it will give me a chance to meet golf instructors. To be honest though, I don't really know what useful criteria to evaluate them on for the future.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 6052

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

Where do you live?

#3 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:31 AM

View Postiteachgolf, on 24 January 2018 - 12:14 AM, said:

Where do you live?

I live in SF Bay Area.

#4 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 23 January 2018 - 11:45 PM, said:

My 7 YO kid  has attended a golf academy before but we stopped last fall.   We plan to send him to a local Nike golf camp nearby this summer.  My plans include NOT having a golf/swing coach for at least 3-4 more years.

So the question is this: I know that in a few years (probably around age 10-12(?)) that, if he is still interested in golf, he will need professional help beyond what I can teach him.  How does one evaluate finding a golf/swing coach?  I realize that this is a pretty open ended question, but any tips, lessons learned, personal experiences, etc... would be great.

My initial thought is to send him to some of these summer camps because he will likely find them fun, will likely learn something and because it will give me a chance to meet golf instructors. To be honest though, I don't really know what useful criteria to evaluate them on for the future.

I have a son and daughter who have taken lessons for awhile now so I will give you my advice. At seven years old the most important thing to look for in an instructor is someone who will teach them the proper fundamentals and keep it fun. You don't want someone getting real technical with a seven year old. As they get older (12 and up) you can worry about the instructor getting technical with them. One suggestion would be to look on the US kids website under instructors and find someone who is US kids certified. That means they have been through courses on how to specifically teach kids. Not all instructors want to work with young kids or even would be good at working with them. Your child needs someone they can build a relationship with so that they look forward to going back each time. Most good instructors that work with kids are very goal oriented but still find a way to keep it fun.

#5 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

http://www.uskidsgol...?designation=57

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/class-2017

Those are some links to the top US kids certified teachers. I would start with that and move forward. Try one of them and if you don't like them, try someone else until you find the right fit for your child.

#6 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 15,435 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

View PostGolfingdawg19, on 24 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

Those are some links to the top US kids certified teachers. I would start with that and move forward. Try one of them and if you don't like them, try someone else until you find the right fit for your child.

US kids is great but because heís talking a few years from now when heís around 12 Iíd look more at this list

http://futurechampio...d-winners-2017/

Coaches known for developing teens/preteens into successful college golfers.  While there is some overlap what US kids does and what a teenager needs to do are very different

#7 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 24 January 2018 - 02:57 PM, said:

US kids is great but because he's talking a few years from now when he's around 12 I'd look more at this list

Coaches known for developing teens/preteens into successful college golfers.  While there is some overlap what US kids does and what a teenager needs to do are very different

Yep - pick a coach that has taken a junior to a level you believe they can attain.  My son's coach happens to be on the Top 25 Master Coach list for FCG and has numerous other accolades.  More importantly though your child has to get along with the coach and they have to be able to communicate effectively.  We were very lucky to find the coach we have... he's tough to get in touch with sometimes because he'll be at a PGA event or working through his packed schedule but it's the price we pay to get top level instruction and guidance.

Edited by leezer99, 24 January 2018 - 03:49 PM.

#8 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

US kids is great but because he's talking a few years from now when he's around 12 I'd look more at this list

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.  I think most of those coaches are in southern California, but I will research them in case I am not reading that right. Certainly, this gives me some good ideas on what to look for in coaching and understanding the different needs of a teen.

#9 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 1547

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

There are guys that teach the golf swing and then guys who know how to teach golf.  Guys that teach the golf swing are people at private clubs putting a bandaid on members swings.  Guys that teach golf teach people how to play, and by the way they also teach the swing.  They do on course lessons, caddie when need be, text/email/talk on the phone when at tournaments.  My son is blessed with a former tour guy who was the #1 junior golfer un the world when he graduated from high school.  I want someone who has lived and experienced the dream my son has for himself.

#10 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 159

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

A big thing to look for is have they every played in tournaments and scored low. Last think you want is a guy who canít break 80 trying to teach a kid to score low.

The other thing is make sure there actually certified in a well known golf organization. You would be amazed at guys who say they can teach are working under a pga pro and not actually a full pga member because they canít score low enough.

I donít have a problem with them teaching but they have no business teaching a junior who is trying to further there golf career. They can make a good living teaching armatures with bad backs and band-aids for there bad swing.

We initially just did an instructor at the course not knowing any better. We stayed too long she started to develop bad habits because he believed In Replicating Hoganís swing. We moved when she went backwards and eventually found a great teacher that teaches a lot good kids. He costs more she got more out the first hour then she got working for 6 months from the other guy. Bad teachers are worse then no teachers.

To find a good teacher look on the internet and see if they have any videos and see if you like there style. If you do search them on the internet and see there scores and if anyone knows anything. Never go with someone who there is nothing about them. Once they get past that go ahead and have a lesson.

Edited by tiger1873, 24 January 2018 - 05:56 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 15,435 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 24 January 2018 - 03:52 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.  I think most of those coaches are in southern California, but I will research them in case I am not reading that right. Certainly, this gives me some good ideas on what to look for in coaching and understanding the different needs of a teen.

Coaches are from all over. Iím on the list from the last 2 years and Iím from FL.  Thereís guys from Texas, Kansas, Indiana and really all over.

#12 Jackhammer993

Jackhammer993

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120424
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

So any of these coaches/ instructors in the Bay Area/Northern California? List is not by state so hard to tell. Would appreciate any input.

#13 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 15,435 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

View PostJackhammer993, on 30 January 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

So any of these coaches/ instructors in the Bay Area/Northern California? List is not by state so hard to tell. Would appreciate any input.

Wouldn’t take long to google the names.  Phillip Dawson is in Sacramento area.  Not sure on any others.  I’d have to google it just like you would

#14 Jackhammer993

Jackhammer993

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120424
GolfWRX Likes : 308

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Cool , thanks!!

#15 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

We are blessed to have George Bryan right around the corner from us. My son is only 10, but around 12 if he shows an interest in really playing at a higher level, we will be working with him and his group. If he can teach his own kids to the PGA level, through HS and College I think he can teach others.

Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS 44.5"
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 19* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H Stock R Flex
Fly Z 4H Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

#16 jayce

jayce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348817
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 30 January 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

We are blessed to have George Bryan right around the corner from us. My son is only 10, but around 12 if he shows an interest in really playing at a higher level, we will be working with him and his group. If he can teach his own kids to the PGA level, through HS and College I think he can teach others.

There are several junior focused group classes throughout the week at GBGA that you may want to check out. Not as specific as working with George or Chase on a private lesson, but my son enjoys attending those and playing on their short course with other juniors.

Edited by jayce, 31 January 2018 - 12:31 PM.

#17 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 492

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:45 AM

Just wanted to revisit this since this guy I follow on YT spoke about it today.  Basically, he says much of the same that has been said here in that there's some trial and error, you need to click with the coach, have good communication and have a good relationship.  His current instructor usually gives some pretty good advice that more parents should follow.  :derisive:

Choosing the right coach

#18 BloctonGolf11

BloctonGolf11

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376734
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:bdgreene
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

Thought I would throw .02 in here. As a teacher when my son started PGA Junior League I knew I wanted him to take some private lessons if he really liked golf as I did not want to teach him any of my bad habits and I know when I am out of breadth. We have three teachers at our course and they are all great people but they are also very different with their approaches to teaching the game of golf. I chose who to take my son to based on the following criteria:

1) Who would mesh best with my son. My son can get very anxious and he needs someone who is soft spoken and controlled with their delivery.
2) As a teacher myself I know what good teaching is and what is not good teaching be it in a classroom or on a golf course. I wanted the best teacher, not necessarily most knowledgeable golf coach.
3) Who seemed like they truly wanted to work with junior golfers.

In the end we chose the head teaching pro at our course but not the overall director of golf. The reason was simple, he checked all the boxes. He is very calm and methodical, does not go overly technical, and I truly believe he deeply cares that my son deepens his love for the game. As well, at the heart he is a TEACHER. At age 7-10, these kids need someone who can teach above all else. They may have all the knowledge in the world but if they can't break it down and make it palatable and enjoyable for a child it won't matter. At first, we thought we would only do a limited number of lessons with his coach to get him started; however, their relationship bloomed and my son truly loves seeing his coach so we kept it going and he sees him for 30 minutes once a week.

Above all, don't forget about #1, find someone who will match up with your child the best. One of the other pros is a bit more exuberant and does a great job with the kids he teaches but that is not what would be best for my son.

Edited by BloctonGolf11, 04 May 2018 - 10:12 AM.

Dad's Bag

D: Ping G30 10 degree, Aldila Reg Flex
3W, and 7W: Cleveland Black, Bassara, Lite Flex
5i - PW: Titleist AP1 716, DG XP90 Reg Flex
W: 48 Cleveland Rotex 3
W: 52 Cleveland Rotex 2
W: 56 Vokey SM6 F Grind
P: TP Mills Flat-T Proto/TP Mills Softtail/Nike Oven MC-07w Prototype
Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Son's Bag (8 years old)
D: Callaway XR16, Flynn Shaft (Set to 15.5)
3W: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 19.5)
4H: Cobra Biocell, Flynn Shaft (Set to 25)
5i-PW: US Kids Tour Series TS2
W: 52, 56 degree US Kids Tour Series TS2
P: Nike Ignite 006/US Kids Tour Sandhills/Odyssey 2-Ball XJ
Ball: Wilson Duo Soft/Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors