Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Biggest mistake people make when discussing hip turn of Hogan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Harleyweedwhacks

Harleyweedwhacks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457758
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

In his five lessons, he discussed that the hips shouldn't turn as much as being taught in those days. However, people mistake this for restricting his hip turn. He did not ever restrict his hip turn. His shoulders started the motion, but as his shoulders went around, that pulled his hips with it. He had a full and free hip turn in his backswing, with a heel lift with the longer clubs. Look at video of him before his wreck, and you can obviously see that he allows the leading heel to rise with his driver and long woods and irons, as well as having a free hip turn.

People talk all the time about how his hip turn was restricted, but if he were to do this, he'd have back problems. Severe back problems, like today's modern player. I see many a college player with ice and heat on their backs, because they are told to restrict the hip turn. It's complete nonsense, and Hogan never did it.

If you're to emulate Hogan, turn your hips on the backswing. Yes, the shoulders outturn the hips, but in general the hips turn a good ways. And, anatomically (I know this, because I've studied how the body works), the leading heel should rise a bit on the backswing. Not a pivot of the heel, but through the knee flexing, the heel comes off the ground like a lift, rather than pivot.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Forewood

Forewood

MW2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 316335
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:Forewood
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:25 PM

I’m not so sure he started his takeaway with his shoulders. I believe the reason he was an advocate of the one piece take away was because he started the takeaway with his lower body which made hit upper body go along for the ride.

#3 AlexCzervic

AlexCzervic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88805
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

What Hogan did is written in plain English in 5L. In other words, hands lead/direct the triangle(arms & shoulders), pivot accommodates.  

AC

#4 oscar@wrx

oscar@wrx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368299
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

View PostAlexCzervic, on 12 May 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

What Hogan did is written in plain English in 5L. In other words, hands lead/direct the triangle(arms & shoulders), pivot accommodates.  

AC
Exactly. So why interpret the exact opposite?
"Best teacher is yourself, with other teachers just giving you ideas to try. I like teachers who say--ok, try this FEEL and this and that..."

#5 oscar@wrx

oscar@wrx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:52 PM

View Postoscar@wrx, on 16 May 2018 - 11:48 PM, said:

AC
Exactly. So why interpret the exact opposite?
His backsswing is very fast though. So the sequencing could look like something else

"Best teacher is yourself, with other teachers just giving you ideas to try. I like teachers who say--ok, try this FEEL and this and that..."

#6 ctmason_98

ctmason_98

TOTALLY outta the bag...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251340
  • Handicap:BIG
  • Ebay ID:ctmason
GolfWRX Likes : 1119

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

I stil donít understand why pinpointing what starts the swing matters. It can feel different for everyone.

It seems to be a meaningless concept anyway. Yet thereís pages of discussion about how the hands not the arms or vice versa start the swing, especially when discussing MDLT.

#7 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1046

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

AC
When Hogan wrote about his swing, he wrote about what he felt.  While he knew more about his swing than most do, what he felt may not have been what he actually did.  I've seen a few videos (sorry, can't locate them right now)  that show that at least a few of the aspects of his actual swing were significantly different from what he recommended.

#8 AlexCzervic

AlexCzervic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88805
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

Forget what it looks like, your kinematic mind will perform far better without any false conclusions from you.  Right arm structure, think about moving hands, pivot accommodates.  After some pivot training youíll have an athletic, freewheeling swing, an idea in motion.

Watch the Coleman video not the Ferrari.

AC

Edited by AlexCzervic, 20 May 2018 - 05:12 PM.

#9 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

i think the right knee kick in is how he restricts his hip turn. I don't think he intentionally tried to not turn his hip. That would be bad for his back.

#10 oscar@wrx

oscar@wrx

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2018 - 01:40 AM

View PostWinKiePie, on 27 May 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

i think the right knee kick in is how he restricts his hip turn. I don't think he intentionally tried to not turn his hip. That would be bad for his back.

I think he really actively restricts his hips with both right and left feet, but via what you said with weight or pressure on inside of right foot, knee and leg. If you restrict hips without this, your back would ache. I personally have tried restricting hips both with and without and my lower back had a painful episode without the inner right foot thing. As soon as I had it, no pain. This is even with active hip turn as told in 5L

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:30 PM

View Postoscar@wrx, on 24 June 2018 - 01:40 AM, said:

View PostWinKiePie, on 27 May 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

I think he really actively restricts his hips with both right and left feet, but via what you said with weight or pressure on inside of right foot, knee and leg. If you restrict hips without this, your back would ache. I personally have tried restricting hips both with and without and my lower back had a painful episode without the inner right foot thing. As soon as I had it, no pain. This is even with active hip turn as told in 5L

You are correct sir. I've tried it for myself. Hmm.. why is that? I have zero knowledge on bio-mechanics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors