Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

When to play up

30 replies to this topic

#31 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

View Postmaxamillian31, on 27 March 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

I saw an interesting format recently in an article on "Top Junior Golf Tournaments", I think it was one of the Texas junior tours, that doesn't use age groups but uses scoring to determine which level a junior plays in. So if they can score in the 70's they get to move up and play the longer distances (and presumably older kids). I like this idea as it would improve pace of play and also keep it competitive and fun for juniors (unless they are the 12 year old losing to the 9 year old..).

Since this is unlikely available look for the higher level regional and national tournaments to play in.

My son started on a local tour that was similar to this at six years old.  Basically there were four sets of tees (Y, R, W & B).  Yellow kids played 3 holes, Red played four, White played six and Blue played nine.  The way it worked was if you were top two in Y, R or W you would move up one set of tees the next week.  If you were bottom two in R, W or B you would move down one set.  At Yellow or Red parents could caddie... White and Blue kids were on their own.  Well, moving from Yellow to Red was fine but somehow in his first few months he made it up to the Blues with some middle school and high school kids.  Of course he would get whooped on because he could barely get himself around the course at six years old much less put up a score on 500 yard par fives.  All I could do is watch from a cart while he walked it.  He learned a lot in that format and is still friends with all of those kids.  We played on that tour for a couple of years until we moved on to US Kids and our local PGA tour.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors