Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

higher loft driver

93 replies to this topic

#91 just plain bill

just plain bill

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

I wonder if im still hinging when im pausing. I think I am. It feels like im pausing, but im keeping everything relatively still while I get the additional hinging accomplished. Fascinating, as spock would say.
SO, the additional hinging helps with the additional ydg I was getting...and by "pausing" the rest of the body (as much as possible) im able to sync things up properly...it def felt like my left hip started the swing, with everything else following and flowing freely, which must be adding swing speed to the mix...plus I still look about a half inch in front of the ball to prevent chunking.
No wonder I was hitting so well, lol. When I watch tonite I'll be checking the hinging. Plus I wanna see what shirt hidecki is wearing.
For me, hitting at 4 oclock is a swing cue. Pausing at the top (while wrists still hinge, of course) is another I'll incorporate. Thanks for pointing that out. Not that I can actually freeze for a split second. I'd probably fall over. But it FEELS like a pause, and that made the def yesterday.
Can't wait to get on the course today!

driver:    Ping 12* Rapture     Nike Sasquatch 16*  
fwy: Ping K15 7wd 22* (from Japan) Taylormade M2  24*
hyb:   Ping G20:  31*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8,9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap. senior graphite.
putter:      Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball: Pinnacle Soft
bag:    Ping cart
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chess:   "it's your turn.com"  -  just plain bill
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.  (Tommy Armour)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 just plain bill

just plain bill

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

So I'm sitting here making chess moves online, worrying about my swing and can I duplicate yesterday's results...

#93 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1985

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:30 AM

View Postjust plain bill, on 11 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

I wonder if im still hinging when im pausing. I think I am. It feels like im pausing, but im keeping everything relatively still while I get the additional hinging accomplished. Fascinating, as spock would say.
SO, the additional hinging helps with the additional ydg I was getting...and by "pausing" the rest of the body (as much as possible) im able to sync things up properly...it def felt like my left hip started the swing, with everything else following and flowing freely, which must be adding swing speed to the mix...plus I still look about a half inch in front of the ball to prevent chunking.
No wonder I was hitting so well, lol. When I watch tonite I'll be checking the hinging. Plus I wanna see what shirt hidecki is wearing.
For me, hitting at 4 oclock is a swing cue. Pausing at the top (while wrists still hinge, of course) is another I'll incorporate. Thanks for pointing that out. Not that I can actually freeze for a split second. I'd probably fall over. But it FEELS like a pause, and that made the def yesterday.
Can't wait to get on the course today!

A good thought to duplicate Hideki's move is to think the club head gets closer to your head to start the downswing via the wrists.  this also prevents hitting it fat, as the angle down in steeper.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZJtmocfjeT4

pause at five seconds.  note his huge body turn but his relatively little hinging of the wrists.  His wrists are going to hinge as he begins his downswing NOT on his backswing.  You really see it at twenty-two seconds.  His body is opening and downswing is starting like crazy, but the wrists hinge the head of the club the other way - toward his head.  This is lag - the wrists are lagging the body.  He's not pausing or trying to hold an angle.  He's literally just changing the direction of the clubhead a split second *after* he changes the direction of the body.

This is what you think of as a "pause at the top" because that's how it feels - that the body is going first while the club pauses.  But that isn't whats happening.  Whats happening is the club head is lagging - its still going one direction for a split second as teh body is down swing-ing.  If the club is literally dead still you'll hit it two inches fat.  It has to go the opposite way of the body for a split second to start the downswing and - this is a huge key - the clubhead gets closer to your head via the *wrists* NOT the elbows going closer to teh body so - for a split second - the clubhead is still traveling "back" (hinging) but teh body is going forward.

also note Brooks' is not hinging quickly.  he needs room to go.  when his body starts forward, his wrists are at 90* and get to like 120*.  if he was already maxed out in wrist hinge when his body started down he couldn't hit it anywhere.

YMMV, IMO, etc etc its the secret to crushing a golf ball.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 11 January 2019 - 09:34 AM.

Nike SQ Lucky 13* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X-Flex, 43.5"
Bridgestone j40 DPC 3-PW s300
SM7 52.12 F Grind s300
SM6 58.04 L Grind s300
Nike B1.07 Method Matter
One slot open

#94 just plain bill

just plain bill

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

kinda struggled this morning due to the cold and a breeze. plus i was experimenting with the 13. a birdie and bogie on the front, tho, but goofed up the back at 5-over for 77. really took note of the diff between the 13 and 16. my dispersion with the 13 was ok, but i felt uncomfortable not knowing where it was gonna go. gonna be sticking with the 16, since it goes pretty close to the 13 if i tee it down a bit. plus i feel like i know where the ball's gonna go, for sure. did notice at the pause that my wrists were still hinging a bit, but beyond that i'm not sure what i was doing, lol. brought the club back at a decent rate of speed (not too fast), paused at the top, gathered myself in that split second, then made an athletic move to the ball, which had xlnt results. for some reason on the back i decided to swing too hard and hit some low liners that cost me a coupla strokes, and i had a delicate chip that didnt even get on the green, after chipping everything to a foot on the front. it was all one-putts on the front except one hole. kinda got screwed on a 2nd shot on a par 5 when the ball bounced left, in front of a tree, but on top of a collection of nuts. the lw went underneath the ball as the nuts gave way and the ball traveled half the distance i needed.
so, the higher-lofted driver won out against the high lofted driver today. just gotta remember to swing at 70%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors