Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Games Lessons w Monte - 7/12 Short Game Practice Tip

monte

41 replies to this topic

#31 games

games

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
GolfWRX Likes : 634

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:02 PM

So, a 5 hour flight delay in Vegas gives me time for some deets on the weekend at Monte’s....

Friday:  First five minutes of the 45 minute session, Monte succinctly says:  “Your lower body is a mess. Get on the Boditrak.” Pressure points are all out of whack. Main culprit:  Lead leg isn’t straightening through impact, it’s sliding.  And oh by the way, the trail knee is sliding too. Have to reprogram sequencing. Lead heel at address to trail heel at top, then back to lead heel.  Doctors orders are to practice punchy half-swings, then every fifth ball, let it rip.

Saturday:  Monte takes day off to recover. I hit 300 range balls. 80% punchy half swings, 20% full.  

Sunday:  First 10 minutes looked at full swing. Basically I get Herb Brooks “not great, but better.”  Lol!  Go to short game area and I proceed to stub the first pitch. Monte says just like full swing, too much lower body.  So we work on 80% weight on lead leg, no rotation and go!  A few decent shots. No one decapitated with a skulled chip. We call it victory then head to the bunker where I apparently have decided to subconsciously adopt every Peter Kostis and David Leadbetter tip ever given on bunker play, and very simply can’t get out!  Monte fixes it with a comment: “Just release the f-ing club!” I pop it up on the fringe and we’re done.  <Editorial comment: Monte is much more patient and kind to new students. Those who should know better like me, he doesn’t mince words>

Sunday playing lesson:  First, for those that haven’t played Oak Creek, the back nine is pretty cool. First tee ball I put closer to the pin, just off the green, than Mr Cargo Shorts. But darn if his putting isn’t improved. He narrowly misses a 40 footer, but easy par. I hit my putt from the fringe and immediately get flagged for excessive truncal rotation AND complete absence of technique. I’m not giving this one away because I think it’s in Monte’s videos. But, bottom line:  I didn’t hit a bad putt the rest of the playing lesson!!! Misreads, yes. But no stubs. Later, I had a 40 foot left to right downhill slider with uphill at the very end that I put three feet from the hole. Monte makes me putt it, so I put it in. No biggie. Been doing it for a whole hour!  Lol!

I will add that IMO, I declare my short game fixed. Putting, chipping and short pitches are good. Monte can attest: I hit one bad pitch out of about 12-15, and it was on an uphill lie that I had difficulty with shoulder alignment. This isn’t surprising as I’m a former competitive bowler and hand eye comes easy. Full swing and more bragging on Monte gets the next post.

Edited by games, 20 March 2018 - 10:06 PM.

They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 14,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 10409

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

Bunker is classic, glad to hear about short game!

#33 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 17,730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 10519

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

games, on 20 March 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

So, a 5 hour flight delay in Vegas gives me time for some deets on the weekend at Monte’s....

Friday:  First five minutes of the 45 minute session, Monte succinctly says:  “Your lower body is a mess. Get on the Boditrak.” Pressure points are all out of whack. Main culprit:  Lead leg isn’t straightening through impact, it’s sliding.  And oh by the way, the trail knee is sliding too. Have to reprogram sequencing. Lead heel at address to trail heel at top, then back to lead heel.  Doctors orders are to practice punchy half-swings, then every fifth ball, let it rip.

Saturday:  Monte takes day off to recover. I hit 300 range balls. 80% punchy half swings, 20% full.  

Sunday:  First 10 minutes looked at full swing. Basically I get Herb Brooks “not great, but better.”  Lol!  Go to short game area and I proceed to stub the first pitch. Monte says just like full swing, too much lower body.  So we work on 80% weight on lead leg, no rotation and go!  A few decent shots. No one decapitated with a skulled chip. We call it victory then head to the bunker where I apparently have decided to subconsciously adopt every Peter Kostis and David Leadbetter tip ever given on bunker play, and very simply can’t get out!  Monte fixes it with a comment: “Just release the f-ing club!” I pop it up on the fringe and we’re done.  <Editorial comment: Monte is much more patient and kind to new students. Those who should know better like me, he doesn’t mince words>

Sunday playing lesson:  First, for those that haven’t played Oak Creek, the back nine is pretty cool. First tee ball I put closer to the pin, just off the green, than Mr Cargo Shorts. But darn if his putting isn’t improved. He narrowly misses a 40 footer, but easy par. I hit my putt from the fringe and immediately get flagged for excessive truncal rotation AND complete absence of technique. I’m not giving this one away because I think it’s in Monte’s videos. But, bottom line:  I didn’t hit a bad putt the rest of the playing lesson!!! Misreads, yes. But no stubs. Later, I had a 40 foot left to right downhill slider with uphill at the very end that I put three feet from the hole. Monte makes me putt it, so I put it in. No biggie. Been doing it for a whole hour!  Lol!

I will add that IMO, I declare my short game fixed. Putting, chipping and short pitches are good. Monte can attest: I hit one bad pitch out of about 12-15, and it was on an uphill lie that I had difficulty with shoulder alignment. This isn’t surprising as I’m a former competitive bowler and hand eye comes easy. Full swing and more bragging on Monte gets the next post.

LOL

In my head, “All he has to do is make a more regular swing and not hold the face open through impact.”

Then a mild case of Tourette’s gets in the way before, “Release the F-Ing club or I’ll beat you to death with your putter head cover in front of all of these people,” is the verbal translation of that original thought.

At least I didn’t threaten to charge you double if you held the face open again.  :-P

Kidding aside, you did really well and improved a lot.  Swing will come along, but short game made huge strides.

#34 games

games

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:51 PM

I would have deserved a beating with my little cloth cover AND if there was any part of me left, final death blows with your Directed Force cover. That is one pretty flat stick, BTW.

#35 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 14,189 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for softening him up!

#36 games

games

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

Hawkeye77, on 21 March 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

You're next!  Too bad we missed each other!

#37 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 14,189 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

games, on 21 March 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Hawkeye77, on 21 March 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

You're next!  Too bad we missed each other!

Would have been fun, but the two of us at the same time might make his head explode. ;-)

So gray and gloomy around here - the wife is letting me know every night how many days until we leave - she needs a break! Heck, I deserve one, too, darn it!

#38 games

games

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:15 PM

Epilogue on Full Swing:  After completing business I had in Santa Ana, I hit 250 more range bullets.  I am proud to say I left California with a full swing thought that I call "Bump, Bump, Dump, and Turn." (How original...)

Bump 1 - Start backswing with pressure transfer to rear heel;
Bump 2 - At top of backswing, transfer pressure back to front heel;
Dump - Drop the arms while keeping back to the target
Turn - Activate the shoulders and arms to "whip" the club across my body. I allow the "whip" to turn my body back to the target.

Through trial and error, I found keeping my back to the target during the dump to be really effective in allowing natural lead leg extension through the shot.
I learned the whip motion by doing quiet body pitches.  (Still tough for me to scream "Hulk Smash!" while keeping a quiet lower body, though.  Got to work on that...)

#39 games

games

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:03 AM

7/12 Update:  The short game has really come around, thanks to just good old fashioned SMART practice.  If you're having trouble integrating Monte's short game stuff, I HIGHLY recommend practicing like this:

In my backyard, I assembled a nice 10' Tour Links putting green I bought off Craigslist, and placed a mat about two feet away.  I chip (actually more of a mini-pitch) onto it using my 56* SW with 12* bounce.  Total distance is about 13'-15' from the impact area to the hole.  Effectively, it's practicing being short-sided.  Off a tight lie, you're forced to get a high-bounce wedge under the ball to clear 3-5 feet of "forced carry" between mat and green.  You must keep the arms moving while projecting the ball only a short distance.  If I don't clear the forced carry or if I send the ball bounding over the green, I know I did not keep the arms moving.  Really good stuff.  Hopefully this helps others...

On the full swing, my game off the deck is serviceable.  Short, but OK.  Even though I am one of the lesser players at Monte's clinics, I always feel my wedges and game from 120 in is just as good as anyone else in attendance.  My weak area right now is my driver.  And, it's purely mental.  I lost a lot of ammo in some tight Northwoods courses last week.  The sad part is at my distance, I should not be so wayward.  This is my next area of focus, and I have a plan.  Just need to win the lottery so this stupid work thing stops getting in the way...

#40 secondary

secondary

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77399
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

games, on 12 July 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

7/12 Update:  The short game has really come around, thanks to just good old fashioned SMART practice.  If you're having trouble integrating Monte's short game stuff, I HIGHLY recommend practicing like this:

In my backyard, I assembled a nice 10' Tour Links putting green I bought off Craigslist, and placed a mat about two feet away.  I chip (actually more of a mini-pitch) onto it using my 56* SW with 12* bounce.  Total distance is about 13'-15' from the impact area to the hole.  Effectively, it's practicing being short-sided.  Off a tight lie, you're forced to get a high-bounce wedge under the ball to clear 3-5 feet of "forced carry" between mat and green.  You must keep the arms moving while projecting the ball only a short distance.  If I don't clear the forced carry or if I send the ball bounding over the green, I know I did not keep the arms moving.  Really good stuff.  Hopefully this helps others...

On the full swing, my game off the deck is serviceable.  Short, but OK.  Even though I am one of the lesser players at Monte's clinics, I always feel my wedges and game from 120 in is just as good as anyone else in attendance.  My weak area right now is my driver.  And, it's purely mental.  I lost a lot of ammo in some tight Northwoods courses last week.  The sad part is at my distance, I should not be so wayward.  This is my next area of focus, and I have a plan.  Just need to win the lottery so this stupid work thing stops getting in the way...

I have a similar back yard set up.  This is the final hurdle for me to accept this method for short game all around.  This short distance from hardpan (Tucson ain't lush at the courses I play) is just death.  I did attend a OHIO clinic many moons ago, I have original Use The Bounce vid somewhere? But the ? I have on these short little soon to be skulled shots, is to you still play the ball more forward?  Success rate is about 40% right now.  On the course I always revert back to more ball in back of stance, lot's of roll out, let's play it safe and have a long putt technique.  Would love to just commit and use the bounce all the time.

Sorry to interrupt, I just saw this and decided to use it as motivation to get back to work in the backyard.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 games

games

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:49 AM

secondary, on 12 July 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

I have a similar back yard set up.  This is the final hurdle for me to accept this method for short game all around.  This short distance from hardpan (Tucson ain't lush at the courses I play) is just death.  I did attend a OHIO clinic many moons ago, I have original Use The Bounce vid somewhere? But the ? I have on these short little soon to be skulled shots, is to you still play the ball more forward?  Success rate is about 40% right now.  On the course I always revert back to more ball in back of stance, lot's of roll out, let's play it safe and have a long putt technique.  Would love to just commit and use the bounce all the time.

Sorry to interrupt, I just saw this and decided to use it as motivation to get back to work in the backyard.

Awesome!  Not an interruption at all. While not the best golfer, I do like to think of ways to "build a better mousetrap."  I truly believe the mini "forced carry" set up can help others.  It just takes practice.  I do keep the ball forward (around my shirt logo) while keeping lower body VERY quiet.

I can see hardpan being a problem, but that shouldn't stop you from using the bounce.  You just need a club with less bounce than the typical high bounce Monte recommends.

BTW, Monte has revised Use the Bounce and released it in version 2.0 with a "core motion" introduction and exercise that is simply pure gold.  I used to think it wasn't for me, but I bit the bullet and started practicing it.  My prior post simply did not give it the credit it deserves!  Worth the investment...

#42 secondary

secondary

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77399
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

games, on 12 July 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

secondary, on 12 July 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

Awesome!  Not an interruption at all. While not the best golfer, I do like to think of ways to "build a better mousetrap."  I truly believe the mini "forced carry" set up can help others.  It just takes practice.  I do keep the ball forward (around my shirt logo) while keeping lower body VERY quiet.

I can see hardpan being a problem, but that shouldn't stop you from using the bounce.  You just need a club with less bounce than the typical high bounce Monte recommends.

BTW, Monte has revised Use the Bounce and released it in version 2.0 with a "core motion" introduction and exercise that is simply pure gold.  I used to think it wasn't for me, but I bit the bullet and started practicing it.  My prior post simply did not give it the credit it deserves!  Worth the investment...

Just been being a cheapskate about buying 2.0!  I will dust the cobwebs out of the wallet.  Thanks for the push

Also tagged with monte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors