Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

2018 Abu Dhabi Championship

2018 european tour uae

155 replies to this topic

#1 NaBUru38

NaBUru38

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406458
  • Joined: 12/23/2015
  • Location:Uruguay
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

http://www.europeant...8008/index.html
Abu Dhabi Golf Club, United Arab Emirates
Purse: US$ 3.0 million

Notable players:
  • Americans: Dustin Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Seungsu Han, Bryson DeChambeau, David Lipsky, Daniel Im.
  • British & Irish: Justin Rose, Rory McIlroy, Paul Casey, Tyrrell Hatton, Tommy Fleetwood, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Ross Fisher, Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Graeme McDowell, Jamie Donaldson.
  • Continental Europeans: Henrik Stenson, Rafael Cabrera Bello, Thomas Pieters, Bernd Wiesberger, Martin Kaymer, Alexander Levy, Thorbjorn Olesen, Joost Luiten, Nicolas Colsaerts, Alexander Bjork, Soren Kjeldsen, Edoardo Molinari, Thomas Bjorn, Jose María Olazábal.
  • Aus / NZ: Wade Ormsby, Ryan Fox, Scott Hend, Jason Scrivener, Andrew Dodt, Sam Brazel, Brett Rumford, Jason Norris.
  • Africans: Branden Grace, Dylan Frittelli, Richard Sterne, George Coetzee, Dean Burmester, Darren Fichardt, Haydn Porteous, Brandon Stone, Scott Vincent, Thomas Aiken, Trevor Immelman, Ernie Els.
  • Asians: Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Li Haotong, Hideto Tanihara, Byeong Hun An, Jeunghun Wang, Soomin Lee, Wu Ashun, Thongchai Jaidee.
  • Other notable players: Fabrizio Zanotti, Andrés Romero, Austin Connelly.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Countdown to Augusta!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 8813

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:19 PM

Looking forward to this one - I can record it (or lose some sleep or both) and watch instead of the replays or even live of The Hope!  Great field, psyched to watch!

2

#3 2putttom

2putttom

    # 1 Oregon Duck fan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Joined: 04/24/2012
  • Location:N.California, LInks @ Bodega Bay
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4100

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

my heart wants to see the Asians capitalize BUT; The Resurgence Of The Ice Man cometh :bb2:
Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace Jericho II Tour S Bend
Oregon Ducks Bag

3

#4 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Countdown to Augusta!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 8813

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

View Post2putttom, on 16 January 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

my heart wants to see the Asians capitalize BUT; The Resurgence Of The Ice Man cometh :bb2:

Hoping Stenson is past the Open and Ryder Cup hangovers and the penny ante injuries and buying houses and focused this year!

Really would like to see him win a green jacket, or whomever I said I wanted to win last month or the month before . . .

4

#5 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
  • Joined: 07/15/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 1876

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

Hoping Rory gets off to a good start and wins this one!


5

#6 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
  • Joined: 05/14/2012
  • Location:Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 3212

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Fleetwood is playing this week, but committed to the PGA Tour this year, right?
Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G30 17* 5W (Diamana D+ 83X)
Ping i20 3 (PXi 6.0), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

6

#7 grm24

grm24

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4801
  • Joined: 08/09/2005
  • Location:Western PA
GolfWRX Likes : 1233

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

View PostHoly Moses, on 16 January 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

Fleetwood is playing this week, but committed to the PGA Tour this year, right?
At least until May.

http://www.golfchann...ompete-pga-tour

Fleetwood took up PGA Tour membership this season and after beginning next year with two starts in the Middle East on the European Tour he will play exclusively in the United States through May.

7

#8 PGArox

PGArox

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89725
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA USA
GolfWRX Likes : 5184

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:56 PM

This is definitely where the action is this week.  Wonderful field.  I'm really hoping Rory impresses.

8

#9 Darth Putter

Darth Putter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466932
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Central Illinois
  • Handicap:10.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1416

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

He hasn't won in almost four years, but it is a Ryder Cup year and he's won here three times before....

Martin Kaymer
swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

9

#10 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:24 AM

All in all usually a great tournament. Great field, great venue. The hairy Scouse won last year, the start of a great year, as Sergio kicked off his super year with a Dubai win.

Hope Stenrik can get an early win. Not a second place. Rather an eight place finish than a second. Go driver this year. You got all the milk you need for your kids, lets get trophies.

Nice guy pairing first two days, Kuch, Rose, Stenrik. Friendly and chatty. As long as things goes well for the Scandinavian.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:29 AM

(Scandinavians aint "Continental")

11

#12 elwhippy

elwhippy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 540

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:46 AM

Fleetwood is not a Scouser. The people of Southport would be mortified to be classed as Scousers.

12

#13 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:53 AM

View Postelwhippy, on 17 January 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

Fleetwood is not a Scouser. The people of Southport would be mortified to be classed as Scousers.
But he speaks scouse, doesn't he? He's pretty incomprehensible in the winners interview, and british people told me he speaks scouse. Only Willett is more incomprehenisble. Nothern english peoples english is the toughest for a scandinavian to grasp. I was on a training course in Nottingham for two weeks back in the days. Great experience but i needed a couple of beers under my vest to really understand.

So, are scousers Liverpoolers or people speaking scouse?

Edited by Hankshank, 17 January 2018 - 03:09 AM.


13

#14 iBanesto

iBanesto

    Niclas Fasth

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 942

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

View Postelwhippy, on 17 January 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

Fleetwood is not a Scouser. The people of Southport would be mortified to be classed as Scousers.
But he speaks scouse, doesn't he? He's pretty incomprehensible in the winners interview, and british people told me he speaks scouse. Only Willett is more incomprehenisble. Nothern english peoples english is the toughest for a scandinavian to grasp. I was on a training course in Nottingham for two weeks back in the days. Great experience but i needed a couple of beers under my vest to really understand.

So, are scousers Liverpoolers or people speaking scouse?

Really? They are both pretty easy to understand.

Padraig Harrington would be more incomprehensible for more people.

14

#15 Sumo

Sumo

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18709
  • Joined: 08/31/2006
  • Location:Liverpool, UK
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:58 AM

Tommy is easy to understand. He's from Southport so not a scouser.

His caddie on the other hand......


15

#16 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:13 AM

View PostSumo, on 17 January 2018 - 03:58 AM, said:

Tommy is easy to understand. He's from Southport so not a scouser.

His caddie on the other hand......
Well, I'm not from Liverpool... :)

Edited by Hankshank, 17 January 2018 - 04:23 AM.


16

#17 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:22 AM

View PostiBanesto, on 17 January 2018 - 03:16 AM, said:

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

View Postelwhippy, on 17 January 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

Fleetwood is not a Scouser. The people of Southport would be mortified to be classed as Scousers.
But he speaks scouse, doesn't he? He's pretty incomprehensible in the winners interview, and british people told me he speaks scouse. Only Willett is more incomprehenisble. Nothern english peoples english is the toughest for a scandinavian to grasp. I was on a training course in Nottingham for two weeks back in the days. Great experience but i needed a couple of beers under my vest to really understand.

So, are scousers Liverpoolers or people speaking scouse?

Really? They are both pretty easy to understand.

Padraig Harrington would be more incomprehensible for more people.
Guess it depends on what experiences you have. I have no problems with il Padre. But no one can say that Danny Willetts consonants are over-exaggerated when he speaks. He's no Justin Rose....

17

#18 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:30 AM

But ok, ok, he's no Scouser. I didn't know that it was controversial. Hairy Englishman, is that better?

He was really at the top in the first half of last year, but got a bit quiet in the fall. Great finishes in Hero and Hong Kong though, might be a contender in Abu Dhabi.

Edited by Hankshank, 17 January 2018 - 04:34 AM.


18

#19 imakaveli

imakaveli

    Ma-nas-se-ro. Got it? ;)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131351
  • Joined: 06/22/2011
  • Location:Milano, Italy
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 3969

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

I would like to see Rory being a factor again, golf is more fun when he is in the zone

19

#20 MattyO1984

MattyO1984

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59978
  • Joined: 07/08/2008
  • Location:Elgin, Scotland
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 2324

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:09 AM

Looking like it should be a good week of golf from Abu Dhabi.

I think a lot of eyes will be on McIlroy. Judging by his social media posts, he has been out in that part of the world for 11-12 days practicing and preparing for the season. When you add that to his extended break from competitive golf and generally good results in the Middle East then he should be coming in pretty hot. If his putting looks the same as it was last year, if his wedge play continues to frustrate, a lot of questions are going to be coming his way about the state of his game, about his health, about his ability to practice. I sincerely hope that is not the case. Go get em Rors!

Titleist 917D2 9.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4097

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:11 AM

I thought Garcia was opening his season this week.....

never mind, forgot he was in Singapore.

Edited by Warrick, 17 January 2018 - 06:45 AM.

GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Epic SZ 3+ - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
MP18 Combo 4-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
Odyssey Black 7s-Tank-34"
TM TP5X

21

#22 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Countdown to Augusta!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 8813

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 02:29 AM, said:

(Scandinavians aint "Continental")

No man is an island Hank.

22

#23 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 17 January 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 02:29 AM, said:

(Scandinavians aint "Continental")

No man is an island Hank.
That might be. But some countries arent part of continents. Like Ireland and most of Scandinavia.

23

#24 bb822

bb822

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210099
  • Joined: 11/05/2012
  • Location:Atlanta
  • Handicap:7.5
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Would love to see a DJ win, but also I'm hoping for a strong performance from Rory. If he comes out in good form I think 2018 will be an awesome year for pro golf. Love to see the depth in the elite ranks.
TaylorMade M2 9.5* HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M1 3HL Fujikura Pro 73X
TaylorMade RSi UDI 20* Aldila RIP Tour 115X

Cleveland 588 CB 4-PW TI DG X100
Titleist Vokey SM5 52*
Titleist Vokey SM5 58*

Titleist Vokey SM6 62*
Pro Platinum Newport Two

24

#25 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Countdown to Augusta!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 8813

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 17 January 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 02:29 AM, said:

(Scandinavians aint "Continental")

No man is an island Hank.
That might be. But some countries arent part of continents. Like Ireland and most of Scandinavia.

Every man is a piece of the continent.


25

#26 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 2013

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 04:22 AM, said:

View PostiBanesto, on 17 January 2018 - 03:16 AM, said:

View PostHankshank, on 17 January 2018 - 02:53 AM, said:

View Postelwhippy, on 17 January 2018 - 02:46 AM, said:

Fleetwood is not a Scouser. The people of Southport would be mortified to be classed as Scousers.
But he speaks scouse, doesn't he? He's pretty incomprehensible in the winners interview, and british people told me he speaks scouse. Only Willett is more incomprehenisble. Nothern english peoples english is the toughest for a scandinavian to grasp. I was on a training course in Nottingham for two weeks back in the days. Great experience but i needed a couple of beers under my vest to really understand.

So, are scousers Liverpoolers or people speaking scouse?

Really? They are both pretty easy to understand.

Padraig Harrington would be more incomprehensible for more people.
Guess it depends on what experiences you have. I have no problems with il Padre. But no one can say that Danny Willetts consonants are over-exaggerated when he speaks. He's no Justin Rose....

Hes also not remotely hard to understand as is Fleetwood.

26

#27 KrazyTrain18

KrazyTrain18

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207177
  • Joined: 10/15/2012
  • Location:West Coast
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1124

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

Great tournament! Always nice to see a strong field to kick off the European Tour season, I've got a feeling the leaderboard will be stacked come Sunday.
915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
712U 2I (DG S300)
714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)

27

#28 Holy Moses

Holy Moses

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180764
  • Joined: 05/14/2012
  • Location:Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 3212

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

This tournament isn't affected by the Golf Channel strike, is it?
Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G30 17* 5W (Diamana D+ 83X)
Ping i20 3 (PXi 6.0), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

28

#29 Mr. Grumpy

Mr. Grumpy

    Go CUBS!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140787
  • Joined: 10/02/2011
  • Location:Nashville, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

View PostHoly Moses, on 17 January 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

This tournament isn't affected by the Golf Channel strike, is it?

Maybe,, the camera work is horrible
Cobra F7 SL - Modus 105x
Cobra F7 Driver
Looking for 3 wood
Cleveland RTX 52* (wearing out)
Titleist SM6 60* (love it, need 2 more)
1 Titleist 913H (good enough, f7 4i might be better)
Old Ping Putter with a new grip

#Ihavegaps #buildingyear

29

#30 mukster

mukster

    Baby it's wet outside

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48549
  • Joined: 02/11/2008
  • Location:North of the 49th
GolfWRX Likes : 1512

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

Címon Rory!!!!
But my guess is he ends the day 1 over, unless he actually picked up his short irons during his time off.....

Callaway Big Bertha 2014 Alpha driver Diamana S+ shaft
Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, shaft to be decided
Cobra Baffler 17*hybrid Fujikura Motore Shaft
Nickent 20* hybrid cheap shaft that kicks butt
Srixon Z765 5-AW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
Srixon Z565 4iron KBS Tour V shaft
Cleveland RTX-3 56* Wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30




Also tagged with 2018, european tour, uae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors