Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New age birdies #golfmoments

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Well, after aging up to a 7YO and playing USKG 7YO yardages at our home course, my kid finally got his first birdie.  It only took 6 rounds (of 9-holes) and around 20-25 legit birdie putts (15 feet and under). Of course, it happens in the strangest way as he hit a poor drive on #6 at The Bridges in San Ramon (nearly out of bounds to the right). Then without being able to see the bottom of the flagstick, he nails a 70-75 yard 6-iron from the rough to within 2-feet of the cup.

Always a satisfying moment to see the smile on your kid's face as the putt goes in the hole. These are the memories that I cherish the most.

Obviously, we need to work on our putting....haha. :lol:

Edited by wildcatden, 16 January 2018 - 01:50 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Putting is king. My son game jumped up big time when he finally got his putting game down. We start tournament play this year will be interesting to see how it all transitions over under pressure.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

That's so awesome!  Congrats to your little one.  Putting and short game are the keys to success for youngsters moving up.

Similar story for my boy who's just a little older...

About two weeks ago we were playing our #1 handicap hole which is a 550 yard par 5 that is literally 450 yards down the fairway with a gentle left to right curve that turns sharply to the right around a mountain at around 100 yards to the hole.  Mind you, the fairway slopes right to left so just about every shot rolls to the left which is further from the hole. The boy hits an okay drive and then smoked a three wood so that his ball just got to the corner.  Has 117 yards in and hits a 7 iron to 3 feet!  I think to myself... this is going to be the first time he birdies this hole!!!  Friggin' kid misses the putt.  Flash forward to last week where he hits an ok drive, ok three wood but didn't get past the corner so he bunts a 9 iron out to get past the corner and has 52 yards in.  Grabs the 54 degree wedge and knocks it in for his first birdie on our most difficult hole.  Funniest part about it was that on the tee box I told him we were going to play this hole over and over again until he birdies it and he did it on his first try.  I let him get bacon on his burger that night.

Edited by leezer99, 16 January 2018 - 05:10 PM.

#4 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

View Postleezer99, on 16 January 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

That's so awesome!  Congrats to your little one.  Putting and short game are the keys to success for youngsters moving up.

About two weeks ago we were playing our #1 handicap hole which is a 550 yard par 5 that is literally 450 yards down the fairway with a gentle left to right curve that turns sharply to the right around a mountain at around 100 yards to the hole.  Mind you, the fairway slopes right to left so just about every shot rolls to the left which is further from the hole. The boy hits an okay drive and then smoked a three wood so that his ball just got to the corner.  Has 117 yards in and hits a 7 iron to 3 feet!  I think to myself... this is going to be the first time he birdies this hole!!!  Friggin' kid misses the putt.  Flash forward to last week where he hits an ok drive, ok three wood but didn't get past the corner so he bunts a 9 iron out to get past the corner and has 52 yards in.  Grabs the 54 degree wedge and knocks it in for his first birdie on our most difficult hole.  Funniest part about it was that on the tee box I told him we were going to play this hole over and over again until he birdies it and he did it on his first try.  I let him get bacon on his burger that night.

Definitely keep him off the ski slopes

#5 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 579

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 16 January 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 16 January 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

Definitely keep him off the ski slopes

LOL - we're actually a couple of hours from Big Bear and Mammoth but have never been!  Should probably put that on the list sooner than later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors