Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Titleist Tour Soft


563 replies to this topic

#541 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6128

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

This just in...

Titleist charge high prices for golf balls.

Top-Flite sell golf balls very cheaply.

Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#542 Augustok

Augustok

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435478
  • Joined: 08/05/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

I tried AVX and This year’s Chrome soft and Tour soft.  I liked tour soft best.  I didn’t think it was hard at all.  I don’t really care what balls cost because I hardly ever loose one and I find more balls than I could ever wear out, plus I like to use new balls and stick with one brand for the season once I decide. I’m not that good to notice much difference in spin etc.   I give all the found balls to our daughter who is starting to play now that she is working and has friends who play.

2

#543 lenman73

lenman73

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
  • Joined: 05/25/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

I got to play an actual round with the tour soft instead of on a hole here or there. I was very impressed with the ball after having some time with it. Not impressed to pay that price, but if someone gave me more I would be happy to play them.

3

#544 TsarBomba

TsarBomba

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451602
  • Joined: 01/13/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 407

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:23 AM

 North Butte, on 25 June 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

This just in...

Titleist charge high prices for golf balls.

Top-Flite sell golf balls very cheaply.

There are many products in this world where spending more is getting you something more, or better.

There are many products out there for people who like to flaunt disposable income and/or make prime candidates because they imitate what they admire and other social BS.

This forum is very usefull in helping building somewhat of a consensus for what the truth is in each case. It may not be unanimous, but if you read between the lines you can see who makes logical observations and who makes emotional ones.

There are many products I buy where the name does matter and I am irational about it. But I admit this in these cases.

Disposable plastic spheres is not one of them.

The equipment i use (clubs etc) name matters to me. But I would not attempt to defend that on made up justifications.

4

#545 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:13 PM

There are also those who simply can’t get away from specific brands.  I like Coke , some Prefer Pepsi right ?  The odd thing if Coke was 400% more expensive I would quickly become a Pepsi fan as the difference is very little and more of an acquired taste.

  Golf is different than any other item I can think of besides maybe tennis shoes that cost $300 for Air Jordan, they don’t do anything more for your feet than a nice $50 pair of brand X but people still buy them.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

5

#546 bigmoneyp

bigmoneyp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106403
  • Joined: 04/16/2010
  • Location:Midwest
GolfWRX Likes : 439

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

Is the Tour Soft similar to the Snell Get Sum?

6

#547 hwturner17

hwturner17

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450250
  • Joined: 12/31/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

 bigmoneyp, on 26 June 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Is the Tour Soft similar to the Snell Get Sum?

I'm interested in this as well, mainly the short game spin department. Just bought a sleeve of the tour soft to try out, but if they are similar, I would much rather spend $15 a dozen than $35 a dozen
Driver: 2017 M1 9.5 / HZRDS Black 6.5
FW: 2017 M2 3 Wood / Aldila Proto By You 85x
3 Iron: Callaway Steel head Pro XR / C taper 130x
Irons: Mizuno MP64 4-pw / C Taper 130X
Wedges: 50/54/58 Callaway Mack Daddy Forged
Putter:Ping Anser 2 / Piretti Matera

7

#548 spartanglfr

spartanglfr

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52836
  • Joined: 04/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 04 July 2018 - 09:10 AM

I found one while playing the other day and played it along with my Z Star since the golf course was empty.  My impression:  long, soft but not mushy, typical 2 piece ball spin profile off wedges and greenside.  Very good ball for a 2 piece, but no better than Srixon Soft Feel or Titleist Trusoft.  I wouldn't pay more than $20 for them if I was looking for a good 2 piecer.  Z Star did everything a tour quality urethane ball is expected to do and at times can be had for $20.  To each their own, and I could care less how other folks spend their money, but for me, the price of the Tour Soft is ridiculous!!

8

#549 1Mordrid1

1Mordrid1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494342
  • Joined: 02/22/2018
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:9.1
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:50 PM

 spartanglfr, on 04 July 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

I found one while playing the other day and played it along with my Z Star since the golf course was empty.  My impression:  long, soft but not mushy, typical 2 piece ball spin profile off wedges and greenside.  Very good ball for a 2 piece, but no better than Srixon Soft Feel or Titleist Trusoft.  I wouldn't pay more than $20 for them if I was looking for a good 2 piecer.  Z Star did everything a tour quality urethane ball is expected to do and at times can be had for $20.  To each their own, and I could care less how other folks spend their money, but for me, the price of the Tour Soft is ridiculous!!

I agree with you. I know some people get offended  when you say something negative about their favorite ball. But if you play soft receptive greens there are a lot of balls for under $20 that will perform the same. And if you play hard firm greens then the Tour Soft just does not measure up to urethane balls.

The ball doesn't suck, but it seems expensive for what you are getting.
WITB

Callaway Rogue driver w/ Oban Tour Limited 4 60
Taylormade R15 3 wood w/ Kurocage 60 tini s
Nike Sasquatch Sumo #2 & #4 hybrids w/ H Diamana s
Ping G700 5-UW AWT 2.0(1°flat, 2° weak)
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 56 /KBS Tour V
Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind 60/KBS Tour V
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
Team Effort Collegiate TCU bag
Q Star Tour

9

#550 duffer18

duffer18

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132963
  • Joined: 07/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 04 July 2018 - 05:54 PM

I played around with the Tour Softs, Srixon Q Star Tours, Callaway Chrome Softs, and Snell MTB Blacks on a practice green the other day, chipping and putting.  I'm a 66 yr old hacker, 13 hi, and don't rely on spin much as getting the ball to go where I want is hard enough, zipping it back is well beyond my ken.  Anyway, notwithstanding the absence of urethane, the Tour Softs were actually the winners for me, followed closely by the Snell and Q Stars.  The Chrome Softs just feel dead to me, don't know why.

So today I played 9 holes with the Tour Softs and tied my lowest score of the year, 3 over par.  The Tour Softs did everything pretty well.  I screwed up a couple of shots, and no ball would have helped me with those.  So why they work, I don't know, but for the moment, I'm going to give them a chance to shine.  

Or more likely, since I'm the one hitting them, alas, not to shine.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#551 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 567

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

How many of those who prefer the Tour Soft have tried the Super Soft , Srixon Soft Feel or the other balls in the same category?

   I get the urethane doesn’t benefit everyone but why are we not comparing apples to apples ?
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

11

#552 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 04 July 2018 - 07:29 PM

 Break81, on 04 July 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

How many of those who prefer the Tour Soft have tried the Super Soft , Srixon Soft Feel or the other balls in the same category?

   I get the urethane doesn’t benefit everyone but why are we not comparing apples to apples ?

Played the TourSoft in the colder weather and it felt firm and it didn't spin much. Today, in 90 degree weather it felt great and it had some spin, of course not urethane type of spin. It has a great yellow color, better than most, It is over priced, sure. But, if a few extra dollars are not a big deal (Walmart has them cheaper too), it's a nice choice in the summer months.

12

#553 argee1977

argee1977

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401588
  • Joined: 11/02/2015
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

 Tanner25, on 04 July 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

 Break81, on 04 July 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

How many of those who prefer the Tour Soft have tried the Super Soft , Srixon Soft Feel or the other balls in the same category?

   I get the urethane doesn’t benefit everyone but why are we not comparing apples to apples ?

Played the TourSoft in the colder weather and it felt firm and it didn't spin much. Today, in 90 degree weather it felt great and it had some spin, of course not urethane type of spin. It has a great yellow color, better than most, It is over priced, sure. But, if a few extra dollars are not a big deal (Walmart has them cheaper too), it's a nice choice in the summer months.

Agree with this, tried the tour soft in colder, wetter weather and it didn't impress me, but in the warmer weather we're having now it's doing well, but again, i don't really see much improvement over the trusoft, which is half the price nearly.

13

#554 BMC

BMC

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Joined: 05/18/2010
  • Location:The South
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 2866

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:14 PM

I've now played two 18 hole rounds with the Tour Soft.  Both rounds were lower than my handicap.  I played all 36 holes with the same ball.

I've played many of the "soft" balls that are out there.  I used to play Project a and Chrome Soft, and SuperSoft.

Tour Soft has a more solid, firmer feel compared to other "soft" branded balls

Distance is good.  Feel off the putter is great.  Spin around the greens is the same as other non-urethane balls.

I like it.
PING G2 EZ & Rogue drivers
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
PING i5 irons 5 - SW
NIKE Method Mod 60 putter

14

#555 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

    Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
  • Joined: 07/26/2009
  • Location:Maine
GolfWRX Likes : 9768

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

Tried a sleeve of these. Didn't get past the practice green. Sounded very odd on chips and pitches, and didn't behave the way i wanted.

Oh, well. Cheap experiment.

Titleist 915D3 9.5/Diamana Whiteboard 63
??
Mizuno Mp-4 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno T7 52, 58/Dynamic Gold s300
Scotty Cameron Futura X7
Bridgestone Tour B XS

WITB

15

#556 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Sussex County, NJ
  • Handicap:17.5
GolfWRX Likes : 433

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

I plan to try a sleeve of the Tour Soft but I am currently playing the DT Trusoft and for my game it performs great.   I find it better around the greens than 3 piece balls like the Gamer Soft and e6 Soft.  It is not urethane but for me the performance is similar to the Ksig since I do not spin the ball like some other golfers.

16

#557 chilllwave

chilllwave

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418970
  • Joined: 04/04/2016
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

 NJpatbee, on 10 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

I plan to try a sleeve of the Tour Soft but I am currently playing the DT Trusoft and for my game it performs great.   I find it better around the greens than 3 piece balls like the Gamer Soft and e6 Soft.  It is not urethane but for me the performance is similar to the Ksig since I do not spin the ball like some other golfers.
I've read a lot of your posts regarding the softer balls and I myself love the Trusoft. I've switched to the Tour Soft this season, it's everything a love about the Trusoft but with better short game control, just not quite as soft. I think you'll like it a lot.
Callaway Epic 3W 15˚ - Aldila Rogue Max 75
Nike Covert 3H - Kurokage 85
Titleist 716 T-MB 4-UST Mamiya Recoil F3 95
Titleist 716 CB 5/6-KBS Tour V 110
Titleist 716 MB 8/9/P-KBS Tour V 110
Vokey SM7 - 50F, 55S, 59D
Miura KM-007
Jones Utility Bag

17

#558 NJpatbee

NJpatbee

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266092
  • Joined: 07/24/2013
  • Location:Sussex County, NJ
  • Handicap:17.5
GolfWRX Likes : 433

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

Thanks, I plan to give the Tour Soft a try.

18

#559 BMC

BMC

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Joined: 05/18/2010
  • Location:The South
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 2866

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:28 AM

 chilllwave, on 10 July 2018 - 10:09 AM, said:

 NJpatbee, on 10 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

I plan to try a sleeve of the Tour Soft but I am currently playing the DT Trusoft and for my game it performs great.   I find it better around the greens than 3 piece balls like the Gamer Soft and e6 Soft.  It is not urethane but for me the performance is similar to the Ksig since I do not spin the ball like some other golfers.
I've read a lot of your posts regarding the softer balls and I myself love the Trusoft. I've switched to the Tour Soft this season, it's everything a love about the Trusoft but with better short game control, just not quite as soft. I think you'll like it a lot.

I'd agree with this.  I like the TruSoft too.  But the tour soft has a touch more solid feel to it.  Both are very good balls.
PING G2 EZ & Rogue drivers
Callaway Rogue 4 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
PING i5 irons 5 - SW
NIKE Method Mod 60 putter

19

#560 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1395

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Tour Soft is a very nice ball. Good distance and a bit more bite on the green than I expected.

It does however, seem to be a bit too lively when chipping. It runs out a bit more than I like (Chrome Soft user) when chipping and seems a little bit more difficult to control.

For ME it felt just a bit "mushy", for lack of a better word.

Just finished round #3 with the AVX though and, as I was just about to "settle" on a single ball and buy 3 dozen Chrome Softs, I now have to think twice; and quickly as the $100 Odyssey putter I bought at PGATSS is almost out of its 90 days playability guarantee. LOL

Now AVX is in a different price category as the Tour Soft but it really goes. It is the longest ball off the driver I've tried this year (CS, TP5, ProVix, Tour Soft, Kirkland). Releases a bit more off the irons when hitting a green and a bit less spin around the green but I'm really conflicted right now.

But the Tour Soft IS a really nice ball,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Cleveland RTX-3 56* SW & 64* LW
TaylorMade Tour Spider Black

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#561 lenman73

lenman73

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
  • Joined: 05/25/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:05 AM

Sunday I got to put the tour soft in play again. Still have the two twin pack sleeves I bought this spring. While I admit it leaves some green side spin desired, other than that I absolutely like this ball. I have hit my longest drives of the year with this ball.  Flies fine off my irons and putts just fine for me. My biggest hangup is the price.  If I wouldn't have found the 2 ball trial sleeves I never would have bought any.  While I truly enjoy playing the ball, the price point just does not jive with me for what it is.  If it was priced more on point with other 2 piece balls I would snatch them up, but as it is I just can't.

Edited by lenman73, 11 July 2018 - 06:07 AM.


21

#562 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 339

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:08 AM

 lenman73, on 11 July 2018 - 06:05 AM, said:

Sunday I got to put the tour soft in play again. Still have the two twin pack sleeves I bought this spring. While I admit it leaves some green side spin desired, other than that I absolutely like this ball. I have hit my longest drives of the year with this ball.  Flies fine off my irons and putts just fine for me. My biggest hangup is the price.  If I wouldn't have found the 2 ball trial sleeves I never would have bought any.  While I truly enjoy playing the ball, the price point just does not jive with me for what it is.  If it was priced more on point with other 2 piece balls I would snatch them up, but as it is I just can't.


Walmart has them in store at 31.99. Not far from an e6 speed or soft

Edited by Tanner25, 11 July 2018 - 06:09 AM.


22

#563 dkr1269

dkr1269

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445922
  • Joined: 11/07/2016
  • Location:Arlington, Texas
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:dkelly1269
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

If they had priced them in the $26 range like the NXT line had started I would have thought they were slightly overpriced but I would have probably bit the bullet anyway. I do like them better than other two piece balls.

23

#564 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 6128

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

 dkr1269, on 11 July 2018 - 11:18 AM, said:

If they had priced them in the $26 range like the NXT line had started I would have thought they were slightly overpriced but I would have probably bit the bullet anyway. I do like them better than other two piece balls.

I believe you are talking about NXT Tour S (the 2-piece ball). The original NXT Tour (3-piece Surlyn) was roughly the same price as Tour Soft.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

24



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors