Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Brass weights in reshaft

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 buckrogers71

buckrogers71

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47766
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered but I have a question about a reshaft. My daughter's boyfriend wants me to reshaft his Nike Vapor Flys from TT ZT85's to Rifle 6.0's. We have the shafts and we were working on the 4i. There was a brass plug in it.

My question is, will some of stock shafts have the weight and some will not? If they all have the plugs can I pull the plug,insert into the new shaft, epoxy, put the ferrule on and epoxy the head on and call it a day? If I do this, will it affect swing weight? Will it be noticeable?

Again, apologies if this has been asked and answered.

Thanks in adavance!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 81PING

81PING

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210015
  • Ebay ID:mattykracks
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

You can absolutely just pull the plug and reshaft it.  If there is epoxy behind the plug, drill it out so the air can escape during installation.

Some brass plugs are only 2g or so.  If that is the case, dont bother.  If the tip weight is heavier, maybe 6-10g, you may notice a swingweight difference.

Hard to say the person would notice either way!

Edited by 81PING, 12 January 2018 - 09:55 PM.

Wishon 919THI w/ Accra Tour Z
w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0
Wishon 775HS w/ AXE Tour Black
979ss Irons
PING i20 GW + PING Glide SW + SCOR 61*
PING Senita - 30"

#3 buckrogers71

buckrogers71

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

Thank you for the quick response. So unless there is a large weight in there, it really wont make a difference?

#4 Smokey227

Smokey227

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77521
  • Ebay ID:lillam01
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

All of them could have weight or it could be only some. Depends on how conisitent the head weights were from the factory.

I am assuming you dont have a swingweught scale. If you make sure and keep the weight with the club it came out of (there will pribably bw different weight plugs in different heads) and use them on the reinstall you will know that the swingweight will be as consistent as they once were. You will want to drill out the dried epoxy out of the center so that air can go thru.

You will still have the issue of how much the shaft change will effect the swingweight. I don't know anything about the zt85, but the weight change to rifle 6.0 will probably increase the swingweight assuming the rifles are the same length. Length changes will also change affect swingweight
2016 Taylormade M2 10.5* Fubuki K 60
2016 Taylormade M2 3HL Diamana 'Ilima 70
2016 Taylormade M2 5HL Diamana 'Ilima 80
Ping I200 4-U Nippon Modus 105
Ping Gilde 2.0 56WS & 60ES Modus 115
Bettinardi Signature Model 7/
Toulon Memphis

#5 buckrogers71

buckrogers71

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

View PostSmokey227, on 12 January 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

All of them could have weight or it could be only some. Depends on how conisitent the head weights were from the factory.

I am assuming you dont have a swingweught scale. If you make sure and keep the weight with the club it came out of (there will pribably bw different weight plugs in different heads) and use them on the reinstall you will know that the swingweight will be as consistent as they once were. You will want to drill out the dried epoxy out of the center so that air can go thru.

Correct, no swing weight scale. When you say drill out the epoxy, do you mean on the new shafts? Please explain

You will still have the issue of how much the shaft change will effect the swingweight. I don't know anything about the zt85, but the weight change to rifle 6.0 will probably increase the swingweight assuming the rifles are the same length. Length changes will also change affect swingweight

The rifles were pulls and they are 4-PW and I believe they are the same length.

#6 Smokey227

Smokey227

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77521
  • Ebay ID:lillam01
GolfWRX Likes : 107

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

There is a small hole in the center of the brass weights. It it there for air to be able to go through when you install the shaft. They will have dried epoxy in them and you need air to be able to flow through the weight.

You will want to make sure the new shafts are not blocked either.
2016 Taylormade M2 10.5* Fubuki K 60
2016 Taylormade M2 3HL Diamana 'Ilima 70
2016 Taylormade M2 5HL Diamana 'Ilima 80
Ping I200 4-U Nippon Modus 105
Ping Gilde 2.0 56WS & 60ES Modus 115
Bettinardi Signature Model 7/
Toulon Memphis

#7 buckrogers71

buckrogers71

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

View PostSmokey227, on 12 January 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

There is a small hole in the center of the brass weights. It it there for air to be able to go through when you install the shaft. They will have dried epoxy in them and you need air to be able to flow through the weight.

You will want to make sure the new shafts are not blocked either.

Thank you!

#8 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

Brass tip weights have a little vent hole for the excess epoxy to escape.  Hold the brass tip weight with a pair of pliers.  Heat it up then poke the vent hole with a straightened paper clip to clear the passage of the vent hole .

As for switching the light weight shaft TT ZT85 in the Nike Vapor Flys , to Rifle 6.0.  There is approx 25-30 gm. of weight gained.  You will have a fun time trying to get the new set up to the OEM spec of swing weight of D-0 to D-1.   Why put a heavy shaft in a light weight head ?  The Nike Vapor Flys is a design with light weight head + light weight shaft ( so you could swing faster and gain more distance, they say ).  If that's the way the wind blows, because you had a set of pulled shaft and he might need a stiffer shaft....so....... go ahead and re-shaft one club for him to try.  I'd bet he might have issue of being consistent , but, one will never know.  Maybe he will like the new set up, we'll never know.

Edited by wkuo3, 13 January 2018 - 03:46 PM.

#9 buckrogers71

buckrogers71

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

View Postwkuo3, on 12 January 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

Brass tip weights have a little vent hole for the excess epoxy to escape.  Hold the brass tip weight with a pair of pliers.  Hot it up then poke the vent hole with a straightened paper clip to clear the passage of the vent hole .

As for switching the light weight shaft TT ZT85 in the Nike Vapor Flys , to Rifle 6.0.  There is approx 25-30 gm. of weight gained.  You will have a fun time trying to get the new set up to the OEM spec of swing weight of D-0 to D-1.   Why put a heavy shaft in a light weight head ?  The Nike Vapor Flys is a design with light weight head + light weight shaft ( so you could swing faster and gain more distance, they say ).  If that's the way the wind blows, because you had a set of pulled shaft and he might need a stiffer shaft....so....... go ahead and re-shaft one club for him to try.  I'd bet he might have issue of being consistent , but, one will never know.  Maybe he will like the new set up, we'll never know.

I agree with your statement, but it's what he wants to do. Not a lot of cash and he doesnt want to buy new irons. I will post updates.
Thanks again for everyone's input!

#10 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

View Postbuckrogers71, on 13 January 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

View Postwkuo3, on 12 January 2018 - 10:42 PM, said:

Brass tip weights have a little vent hole for the excess epoxy to escape.  Hold the brass tip weight with a pair of pliers.  Hot it up then poke the vent hole with a straightened paper clip to clear the passage of the vent hole .

I agree with your statement, but it's what he wants to do. Not a lot of cash and he doesnt want to buy new irons. I will post updates.
Thanks again for everyone's input!

If he does not ask, don't need to tell him the story of swing weight and measurement..... maybe he will like it, problem solved, for now.  I totally understand when budget is an issue.  Most of the golfers wouldn't know the difference anyway, like there is no difference a Ford Fusion and a Mercedes-AMG SLS Black  both were stuck is a 20 MPH traffic jam.

Edited by wkuo3, 13 January 2018 - 09:54 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,658 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 7379

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:09 PM

Clubmaking:
Remove any weight plugs in the PX shafts. Dry fit the shaft to the head, measure club length and cut shafts as needed to the proper playing length.  A clubmakers ruler is needed for this task. Next, using a swingweight scale and a split grip, check swingweight and select new tip weights as required to match your desired swingweight.  Glue up your new clubs and when dry, install grips.

Club gluing:
Buy pulls with grips and glue up the heads with Gorilla Epoxy.;)

Edited by Nessism, 13 January 2018 - 04:11 PM.

Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#12 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

I love Gorilla duck tape, those were the best, but don't care much for their glue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors