Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Cobra X Speed

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Cobra X Speed (60 member(s) have cast votes)

Make Your Opinion Count!

1. 5 (Best) (36 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. 4 (15 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. 3 (5 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. 2 (1 votes [1.67%])

Percentage of vote: 1.67%

5. 1 (3 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Gxgolfer

Gxgolfer

Site Founder & Co-Owner

• Rules Official
  • 14,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:43 PM

cobrax.jpg

Cobra X/Speed Driver

The fastest way to hotter, straighter drives has arrived!

All 460cc drivers are not created equal. Cobra's technology takes golf's largest clubface, the Hotter 9 Points, and makes it even bigger and hotter. The size and heat are speed tuned to your swing to optimize ball speed, launch, spin and accuracy. Speed drivers are not only bigger on the clubface - they're bigger down the middle of the fairway, too.

Largest 460cc Face Area
Maximum face flex across the game's largest, hottest face area generates Hotter 9 Points across the clubface and golf's only Hot Zone for increased ball speed and distance.

Wide-Body Sole Design
An Advanced Sole Design pushes the dual weighting system and the center of gravity back lower and deeper for greater MOI and forgiveness across all Hotter 9 Points.

MRLC Technology
The milled rhombus L-cup laser weld face insert allows for greater consistency and increased performance across the entire face.
Fast-Back Crown Design
Speed's unique crown design slants back, moving the center of gravity even lower and further back in the head to create a higher launch angle and low-spin ball flight for optimal launch and carry.

This driver is where the extreme speeds, extreme distance and extreme control merge.

X/Speed Drivers feature a square face and are tuned for accomplished, low-handicap players with extreme ball speeds that demand shot shaping ability.

X/Speed Drivers promote a neutral ball flight with low spin and high launch to maximize distance. In the end, the X/Speed Drivers help you go from being long to being really, really long and accurate.

Features a Cobra/Aldila NV-X/Speed Tuned 60g shaft and a Golf Pride Half-Cord 55D Durometer grip.

You need a driver tuned to your ball speed to maximize both your distance and accuracy. By matching your swing and ball speed to speed tuned club technology, the Speed series gives you longer, straighter drives. Select the X/Speed driver if these statistics fit your game:

* Current average drive: 265+ yds
    * Current average swing speed: 104+ mph
    * Ball speed: 150+ mph

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
http://www.golfwrx.c...t-ad-questions/
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 drpaperclip7

drpaperclip7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9900
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

THIs IS THE BEST DRIVER I HAVE EVER HIT!!!! AMAZING

#3 pitbull808

pitbull808

Putter Hoarder

• Marshals
  • 8,504 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:17 AM

View Postdrpaperclip7, on Jan 15 2006, 01:24 PM, said:

Could you give us some detail as to what you were using prior to the X Speed and what makes it so amazing.  I'm thinking about getting it for my father.  Thanks in advance!

#4 drpaperclip7

drpaperclip7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9900

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

I WAS PLAYING the cleveland laucher 460/mizuno 001/callaway 454 and i tried just about every driver i could get my hands on.First off it looks great, such a large sweet spot that you wont notice at all if your not right in the center of the face. THE shaft is excellent i was suprised that it feels so  good, most of the shafts that Alida made more a specific club i didnt think were that great. AND WAIT TILL U HERE THIS THING.  HOPE THIS HELPS L

#5 ce_me_golf

ce_me_golf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6790

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

View Postdrpaperclip7, on Jan 15 2006, 05:24 PM, said:

I have a Cobra 460 SZ, so I can understand how you feel. I'm really not in the market for another driver but I'd love to hit the new Cobra drivers and fairway woods just to see how they feel.  (cool)

#6 mrfols

mrfols

mrfols

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10716
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:09 AM

I have become a huge Cobra Driver Fan over the last 2 years.  I currently have a 460sz with a penley eta shaft and just recently put a X Speed in the bag.  The X speed had the stock NV shaft in it and ball flight was a little low along with low feel.  I pulled shaft and put a Nippon GS pro shaft in it and have picked up another 5 or 10 yds over the old shaft and 10 to 15 over the 460.  Very solid club with some workability.

#7 tarheel

tarheel

Tar Heel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8319

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:14 AM

is the face square? the thing about cobra's woods that irk me is that they are usually 1* closed. for someone who sometimes fights a hook, having anything that looks remotely closed is a no-no.

#8 rdeschain

rdeschain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2348
  • Ebay ID:k_fusco

Posted 27 April 2006 - 04:12 PM

I was a huge Cobra Driver fan for several years. I still have  a Hot Forged Beta TI driver that i pull out oce in a while.

I saw somewhere that the XSpeed is square, the FSpeed is 1 or 2* closed and the lowest speed is 3 or 4* closed.

Might try these out soon.

Edited by rdeschain, 27 April 2006 - 04:14 PM.

#9 longdrive66

longdrive66

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7332

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:01 PM

Hey

I was wondering what is the tip size? I am thinking of getting the Cobra Speed X and putting a Project X 7.0 shaft in it.

#10 Guillotine007

Guillotine007

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5080

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 classick

classick

mills

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15193
  • Ebay ID:mtraiser

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:10 AM

I hit a Cobra Driver at our demo day and it seemed like the face was really closed.  I hit the F or X speed I'm not sure which.  Can anyone tell me if the X speed face it 100% square?

#12 golfer_junior

golfer_junior

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3749

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

x speed is square, xx is open, f is closed as well as m

#13 EdmontonGolfer

EdmontonGolfer

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15428
  • Ebay ID:bucs_fan32

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:16 AM

I have the X-Speed and eventhough they say the club is neutral, it sits closed at address and I have a hard time not pulling when I hit it.  I'm a mid to low 70's player so it's not my swing either.

#14 Hillski

Hillski

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18517

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

I got a bad shaft at first and broke it in a week but since i got it back i have killed it i was hitting a 983 E before and ive gainded probly 10-15 yards and hit the ball alot straighter with more control its a bomb driver in my mind.

#15 hjfarrell

hjfarrell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18495
  • Ebay ID:jhgolfsales

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:06 AM

I  put the X speed in my bag about  a month ago. I have mixed feelings on it. 1st they claim that it is square but it sits closed at address ( I would guess one or two deg) 2nd the stock stiff shaft has a high kick point so you get a low ball flight. I knew that going in so I got a 10.5 deg. I'm not sure on the marketing on this but I think a lot of us still guess at what is best for us instead of going to get fitted. I know I'm one of the worst clubs ho's out here. So this club might feed some ego's. The Cobra also has a different setup with the position of it's hosel which is a little hard to get use to if you haven't played Cobra before. I have found so far that with my 105 - 110 SS the stiff stock shaft and the 10.5 deg was the best fit. Most of my mistake's are hard low pulls maybe 1 of 8. The club has great distance but is a little hard to work I think due to me being new to Cobra clubs. At this point I'm going to keep it in my bag for another 30 days but my feeling is when I look down at address it just doesn't feel right. Might go back to my Nickent 3DX with the stock NV 55 x shaft.

#16 03trdblack

03trdblack

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3549
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:17 AM

There is no way the face on the X speed is square.  I have looked at a ton of these things in the stores and everytime I set it on the ground the face just rocks closed.  The toe actually looks like it is angled forward.  Can't stand the way these things look!

Now the HS9 on then other hand....

#17 tarheel

tarheel

Tar Heel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8319

Posted 28 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

checked out the x-speed. i'm thinking unless u can get your hands on a tour issued head which will somewhat assure you that the head will be at least square and play with a somewhat accurate loft, everything else will be closed and of a higher loft than indicated. just like the callaways ... i tried the x460-tour and even that looks slightly shut, including the ft-3 tour.

#18 Josh T

Josh T

Things and stuff.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7242
  • Ebay ID:turneyjo
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:08 PM

I found it impossible to miss a fairway.

very difficult to work this driver.
high launch with lots of carry.

Once I got passed the loud crash cymbal sound I loved this driver. Most fun I have ever had driving a golf ball.
I loved it.
Adams Super LS 9.5* Kuro Kage
Touredge XCG-4 16.5 Motore Tour S
Adams Super S hybrid 23* Matrix Kujoh S
Wishon 560MC 4-9 Aerotech SF 80i R
Scratch 47*,53*,60* Aerotech SF 110i R
Yes! Natalie 33"

#19 tenngolf

tenngolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17897

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

On Tarheel's post about the "1 degree closed face".  I ordered the XX model from TGW thinking I was getting a "square" face.  Lo and behold, when I opened up the box, I couldn't tell any difference between it and the F and X speed models which set up from 1 to 2.5 degrees closed.   If Cobra is selling these as SQARE faced then they are telling an outright lie. They USED to make great drivers that set up fairly square and if I had to pick one, it would be one of the older models like the SS350 Tour.  Sure this closed face makes the slicers with a 20 hcp happy, but why advertise the XX as a player's club, when it clearly isn't.  This club is on it's way back to TGW for a refund!

#20 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:15 AM

View Posttenngolf, on Feb 21 2007, 09:32 AM, said:

On Tarheel's post about the "1 degree closed face".  I ordered the XX model from TGW thinking I was getting a "square" face.  Lo and behold, when I opened up the box, I couldn't tell any difference between it and the F and X speed models which set up from 1 to 2.5 degrees closed.   If Cobra is selling these as SQARE faced then they are telling an outright lie. They USED to make great drivers that set up fairly square and if I had to pick one, it would be one of the older models like the SS350 Tour.  Sure this closed face makes the slicers with a 20 hcp happy, but why advertise the XX as a player's club, when it clearly isn't.  This club is on it's way back to TGW for a refund!
Mine sits square. Just cause it looks closed doesnt mean it is. Has anyone thought that the hosel is creating the illusion of a closed face

983K 9.5 - S300
Mizuno 18* MP Fli Hi - S300
Mizuno 23* MP Fli Hi - S300
Maxfli Rev Black 1-PW - S300 (1-4 bench)
TM Tour FE2o3 Y-Cutters 52*/58* - S300
Odyssey White Ice #9

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14841
  • Ebay ID:kjam100100
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

Has anyone played the Cobra Fujikura Speeder shaft in the new drivers?  Just wondered if it played true to flex or soft like many OEM shafts?  
KH

#22 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

I play a X Speed 9.5, the OEM Aldila orange shaft that came in it i removed after 3 rounds. It played soft too me, so i replace it with a  Aldila PrOTo buy you 75 gm much better feel.

mcca

#23 LONG&STR8

LONG&STR8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28371
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

I exchanged mine for a new PRO D but the x-speed 9.5* that I had was square but did look closed because of the long pointy looking toe. I think it is good for those that fight hooks since the hosel is set further back from the face than most drivers.

#24 hardten

hardten

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2760
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:37 AM

I demoed a Cobra yesterday with the Speeder stiff.It played a bit stiffer than the Titleist Speeder I had in my 905R.Definitly not soft.The driver felt very "one piece" with that shaft.

#25 jimb

jimb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10770
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

I've got a lefty X Speed Pro D in a 9.5 stiff By You and think this is a great driver.  It is much more forgiving than the 905R and it is longer as well.  I know some have said it is closed at address, but mine isn't.  It looks square to me.  Tee it low and I hit low bullet than run a mile.  Tee it high and it launches high and still rolls some.  I have hit the Burner TP and the HiBore XL Tour and like it better than both.  Simply put this driver is a fairway finder with nice length.

Ping i25 9.5* PWR 65 Stiff
Ping Anser 3W Stock Stiff
Ping Anser 20* Hybrid Stock Stiff
S55 4-PW DG Pro S300
Scottsdale TR Anser 2
50, 54 and 60 Ping Tour Gorge Wedges

#26 thattigga

thattigga

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36059

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

Does anyone know the Torque in the shaft of the old 2006 or 2007 x speed driver?

#27 driverwedge

driverwedge

Jan-Michael Vincent is... Stringfellow Hawke.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69034
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Still play the 7.5* and love it.  The shaft is becoming a bit weak for my swing when I want to lean into it (the stock NV-X stiff flex).  Hard left.  Other than trying to go caveman on it, it does drop bombs.  Sounds like you're crushing a glass bottle when you hit it on the screws.  I love the sound but others may not.  Looks square at set up.  I've seen others that don't.  Weird.

Anyone have an opinion as to what shaft might be a good replacement without breaking the bank?  SS can get into the 130's but average high teens to low 20's.  Looking for lower spin and launch.

Thanks!
Testing the Bombtech Golf Grenade 9.5*
Adams Super LS Black18*/Redboard 83x
Adams Super LSP Black 23*/AxivRed 104x
MP64 4-7/MP4 8-PW(6-PW 1*weak)/CTaperX
Yes Abbie Forged Pro Series
MPT10 50, MPT11 56,60/Black Chrome S400
WITB Link

#28 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 509

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

I just bought a used 9.5 X Speed with the stock Aldila NV-X/Speed Tuned 60g shaft and what a difference it made over my last driver. I do agree it appears to sit a tad closed but I found that once I got the hang of it, it became beneficial. No misses to the right anymore which was my main miss with my old cleveland 8.5 launcher.  I love this club, easily picked up about 25 yard or more, no joke. I demo'd  a few drivers and this one seemed to not only fit my price range, but also my swing. I just feel like I cant miss with it.
Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#29 driverwedge

driverwedge

Jan-Michael Vincent is... Stringfellow Hawke.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69034
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

Update:  I just got the 7.5* head re-shafted to a V2 LD3 cut down 1 inch from the butt end.  Really lowered the ball flight and kept it tight when I leaned into it- and damn long.  This is going to be fun...
Testing the Bombtech Golf Grenade 9.5*
Adams Super LS Black18*/Redboard 83x
Adams Super LSP Black 23*/AxivRed 104x
MP64 4-7/MP4 8-PW(6-PW 1*weak)/CTaperX
Yes Abbie Forged Pro Series
MPT10 50, MPT11 56,60/Black Chrome S400
WITB Link

#30 iLLaDiLLa

iLLaDiLLa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80260

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

anybody ever tried this club in an 8.5 loft? i'm thinking about getting it like that, and wanted to know if anybody ever tried one.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors