Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

ORLANDO/PGA SHOW GOLF

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abergervt

abergervt

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251450
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:willistonhockey
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Going down to the show and have not golfed in Orlando for some time. Looking to only play Monday and maybe tuesday morning as obviously all day weds and thurs before my flight is showtime. Looking for suggestions on where to play, hidden gems, etc. I have also heard Disney has a hidden course as well is this still true or just fiction?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 jkaisrlik

jkaisrlik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169511
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

I'm not sure what the hidden course at Disney would be. Palm and Magnolia are in the same area on the property and then Lake Buena Vista is near Disney Springs (previously called Downtown Disney) and its actually my favorite of the three. They also have Tranquilo which is now owned by Four Seasons but used to be Disney Osprey Ridge. Tranquilo is the nicest, but is also quite expensive ~$150 before 1pm.

If you're renting a car Grand Cypress has two great courses N/S/E 27 (East has an awesome Island Par 3 that is in a recent golf commercial) and a "New" course which is a very wide open links course with double greens and a couple of holes that mirror St. Andrews.

My #1 Suggestion would be Orange County National. Panther Lake has hosted PGA Q-School a number of times and Crooked Cat is just as good. They are having a demo day during the event at OCN's driving range.

Waldorf Astoria and the Ritz Carlton (Host of the father son pga event) are going to be the two nice resort courses but will also be pricey.

If you don't mind driving 30ish plus minutes Bella Collina is an excellent Faldo course with elevation changes that are not usual in Florida and Mission Inn El Campeon is another terrific course about an hour away that has hosted plenty of lower division NCAA Championships. You also cant go wrong with any one of the three Championsgates.

Personally I'm not the biggest fan of Shingle Creek or Falcon's Fire but Eagle Creek or North Shore near the airport are also great tracks. Mystic Dunes is a fun one, but it has just reopened under new management so conditions aren't very good yet.

Hopefully I helped make your decision a little easier!

#3 abergervt

abergervt

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251450
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:willistonhockey
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

Wow thanks for all the details

#4 Poser

Poser

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144057
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

I second grand cypress it's a fun course and the new course is a good time.  Champions gate is always an option too they have 36 and a links style course as well.

#5 Chico

Chico

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23947
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

I believe Orange county National also gave a discount if you have a pass to the show.

Tour Issue M1 430 8.5 Rombax
                X16 Pro speeder evo II
                TM Stage 2 tour 18*
                Cally 2013 Xforged PX 6.0
                Mizuno 50,54,58
                TM Ardmore/ Jeremy Richards RT1

#6 sunbeltgolfer

sunbeltgolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160353
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

If you plan to attend the demo day Orange County National for an early round will also get you parking right there for the day. No walking down the road or worrying about your vehicle.

#7 Sh00terMcgavin

Sh00terMcgavin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451804
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Disney's hidden gem might be Tranquillo which used to be Disney's Osprey Ridge now owned by the four seasons? They Just held the Diamond Resorts Invitational there last week. Someone that is new to golf in the area may think it's a "hidden gem". Magnolia, Palm and LBV are all great courses as well but everytime I have played Tranquillo, it has been on a different level and worth the $$. Will also say Grand Cypress is a great place to play especially if your looking to play 18+ holes.
Ping G400 Fujikura Speeder 757 EVO TS X
Callaway Apex UT 21*
Mizuno MP 5 C-Taper 130x
Vokey Sm6 50*,54*,58*
Taylormade Spyder Tour DJ
B330s

#8 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1294

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

I just played Magnolia and Palm while on our yearly family vacation to Disney (celebrating the new year), both courses are in great shape...
Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Alta 55 X Flex, tipped 1", 44.5"
FW Wood----------Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour  32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

#9 BNGL

BNGL

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

Orange tree is a good one! Alaqua would be worth checking out as well

#10 Pollie017

Pollie017

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 468962
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted Yesterday, 10:41 PM

I just got back from Orlando.  OC National will now forever be on my must play list.  Pristine conditions.  Great layouts (I preferred Crooked Cat to Panther Lake).  6-8 on PL seemed a bit out of place.

Celebration is in great shape.  Very fun course to play as well.  Their range is awful though.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors