Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

FST Shafts - Only suitable for Walmart box sets?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 golfnhack

golfnhack

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119615
GolfWRX Likes : 645

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

So I would like to build a set of Maltby irons.

I currently use C-Taper 120 Tours (my shaft of choice), but I also like the Tour V X Flex. I DO NOT get along with the normal KBS Tour. I don't want to spend $35 per shaft on an experiment, so I thought I might give the FST shafts a go.

I called FST today to see if they could tell me which of the FST shaft would compare to C-Taper or Tour V.

I called the number listed on the FST web-site, NOT the one listed on the KBS site. Even though they are from the same company, they have separate sites. His response shocked me. He said...

"Well... the FST shafts are really only used for box sets sold at Walmart, and you can't compare them to KBS shafts".

My response (without hesitation). "Well thank you for your time" Click. Now let me state again. I called the FST number.... NOT the KBS number.

So.... I was wondering if anyone here could provide me with a more intelligent answer. CLEARLY GolfWorks would not sell crappy shafts meant for Walmart box sets only.

Edited by golfnhack, 12 January 2018 - 03:39 PM.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 trhode

trhode

Fitter / Builder

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67563
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Pretty sure Wilson Staff uses them in their irons.

#3 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

View Posttrhode, on 12 January 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

They do not.  They use True Temper and KBS.  Potentially their made for, like the D350, might.  Their real stuff is using KBS Tour 90, KBS MAX, and KBS 80.
G30 LS Tec - Ping Tour Stiff
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - KK Silver DC 70X
Taylormade R15 TP 17* - Graphite Design MJ 6X
Titleist 816H2 21* - Project X HD2 OR KBS Tour 85g Prototype
Maltby STi OS 5-PW - Matrix MFS 115+ Strong
Miura 50* - Aldila RIP 115 Stiff
Nike Engage 55* Toe Sweep and 59* Square Sole - Matrix MFS 115+ Strong
Bettinardi Inovai

#4 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 1233

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Wow.  That was a crazy response from whoever answered the phone.

The quality of the FST shafts is fine, but the limiting factor for you, is the bend profiles.  They are also "descending weight", in that every shaft is cut from one blank.

The stiffest tip model FST is the "Pro 125", which is nowhere near as stiff in the tip as a C-taper or Tour V.  The Pro 125 has a bend profile that is much like the original Rifle shafts, but they are labeled stiffer than they really are.  In other words, I consider a Pro 125 "S/X" as really an R/S with a bend profile like a Rifle.

Now that I just reread and noticed that you do not like the standard KBS Tour, I wouldn't bother with the FST's, because they are very similar to that type of bend profile

Edited by Cwebb, 12 January 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#5 ode1

ode1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Nice thing about Maltby is you can build a test club and if you like it, order the rest...cost effective way to test different options.  FST used to have a wider range of shafts....the old Pro Black and Pro White would have been possibilities.  If you don't want to spend 35 per, then find some pulls....the only shaft that comes to mind that might work would be the Wishon s2s stepless....which I believe profiles close to the ctaper....I seem to remember that was stated on this site a few times, but ??

#6 trhode

trhode

Fitter / Builder

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67563
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 12 January 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

View Posttrhode, on 12 January 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

They do not.  They use True Temper and KBS.  Potentially their made for, like the D350, might.  Their real stuff is using KBS Tour 90, KBS MAX, and KBS 80.

Been a few years since I’ve seen any Wilson though the shop, but they used FST in a lot of their clubs. Ci9’s come to mind.

#7 Thayneil

Thayneil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441480
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

View PostCwebb, on 12 January 2018 - 04:41 PM, said:

Wow.  That was a crazy response from whoever answered the phone.

The quality of the FST shafts is fine, but the limiting factor for you, is the bend profiles.  They are also "descending weight", in that every shaft is cut from one blank.

The stiffest tip model FST is the "Pro 125", which is nowhere near as stiff in the tip as a C-taper or Tour V.  The Pro 125 has a bend profile that is much like the original Rifle shafts, but they are labeled stiffer than they really are.  In other words, I consider a Pro 125 "S/X" as really an R/S with a bend profile like a Rifle.

Now that I just reread and noticed that you do not like the standard KBS Tour, I wouldn't bother with the FST's, because they are very similar to that type of bend profile

I heard that the 125 stepless  could be considered  3/4/5/6  flex   as in A/R/S/X  IE 125 sx  considered a 5.0 Blank

#8 Mikeski

Mikeski

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366293
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

The guy wants you to buy their Corvette not their Chevette. That's why he gave you the answer he did.

#9 burnsd427

burnsd427

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408764
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

Any insight on the FST 125 compared to the FST Pro 125?

#10 hobbygolfer

hobbygolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18826
  • Ebay ID:strand110
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

That’s a funny answer to be honest. We carry FST and KBS shafts and I really like to work with the FST brand, since the quality is good, they react pretty much spot on when tipping for cpm and they don’t have overly significant spines, if that’s something, your into looking at. We had way more issues with broken shafts and bend tips with the KBS shafts, than with the FST shafts. Stating that they are suitable for Walmart Sets is plain wrong, I had a customer last year, that I reshafted his Epon irons with FST pro 115 shafts and he‘s really happy with the results. And we tried a lot of other shafts during the fitting like Modus, KBS Tour and 90s.

But as cwebb stated - there is no profile close to C-taper or Tour V in the line. And those two profiles are relatively special, so you won’t find a budget option in the market for those.

Cheers,
Michael

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Uhit

Uhit

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450896
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:11 AM

View Posthobbygolfer, on 13 January 2018 - 03:45 AM, said:

That’s a funny answer to be honest. We carry FST and KBS shafts and I really like to work with the FST brand, since the quality is good, they react pretty much spot on when tipping for cpm and they don’t have overly significant spines, if that’s something, your into looking at. We had way more issues with broken shafts and bend tips with the KBS shafts, than with the FST shafts. Stating that they are suitable for Walmart Sets is plain wrong, I had a customer last year, that I reshafted his Epon irons with FST pro 115 shafts and he‘s really happy with the results. And we tried a lot of other shafts during the fitting like Modus, KBS Tour and 90s.

But as cwebb stated - there is no profile close to C-taper or Tour V in the line. And those two profiles are relatively special, so you won’t find a budget option in the market for those.

Cheers,
Michael

Broken shafts and bend tips with KBS shafts is also my experience (C-Taper, C-Taper light and Tour V - in X-flex).

However, this made me search after alternatives and now, I am a happy camper since I have stumbled over Nippon Modus³ 120 shafts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors