Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

College Basketball.

113 replies to this topic

#1 devinh821

devinh821

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 276861
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

Didn't see a thread on some college basketball. Probably my favorite sport of all just to sit down and watch. Pretty crazy NC State fan here. They have been playing way above their skill level lately. Keatts has really turned some heads so far this year

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Kragster

Kragster

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399642
  • Handicap:12.8
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

I'm a Kentucky fan (going to be a rough year I think) but watch a ton of b-ball.   State looked great the last couple of games, and that big kid from overseas looked really good against Clemson.   It's a hell of a stretch they have with two more top 25 teams up next, but they've proven they can hang with some of the best teams in the country already.

#3 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

HUGE Duke fan here (obviously). First off, congrats to devin and NC state on their win over us and the Clemson win, but was that an NC state inbound that bounced out of bounds first that the refs missed at the end of the game? I know there was another just like it after that one that got called.

Duke is really struggling on the defensive side of the ball this year, as well as the last couple years but for some reason they are having a really hard time stopping anybody. NC State put up 96 against us and BC put up a high number as well. Our games are going to be a lot of shootouts this year.

I have been watching more Oklahoma basketball this year, really like the freshman they got. WV did a good job defending him in the first half last week and caused like 10 turnovers from him.

#4 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2533

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

Huge Buckeye fan here.  The program really hasn't had a pulse or much life for a few years now (which led to the firing of Thad).  This year has been very surprising and Chris Holtmann has brought a lot of new energy to the program and the players are really responding.  I would have laughed at you 3 months ago if you told me the Bucks would be 14-4, 5-0 in the B1G and would have beat the #1 team in the country in absolute dominating fashion.  Its fun to finally see Ohio State playing hoops with energy again.

I honestly thought this year would be a 17-19 win season with no post season.  It's now looking like a 22-24 (24 being the absolute most optimistic outlook) win season with a tournament bid.

All in all, this has been an incredibly successful start for Holtmann.

Oh and Keita Bates Diop is downright nasty.  Dude is flying under everyone's radar.  Leading the B1G in scoring and is something like 3rd in rbs.  Its criminal he wasn't on the Wooden top 25 midseason list.  He is well on his way to winning B1G player of the year.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

#5 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22633

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

I only watch NCAA to scout the lottery picks. But there's some really interesting players this year.

Ayton and Bamba at times look like that scene in Billy Madison where he is playing dodgeball with children. I mean Ayton in particular is just massive, and Bamba is like Mr Fantastic with his length. It'll be tough to deal with in the NBA, i almost feel bad for a semi-athletic 6'2 guy who gets his shot volleyballed into the 7th row

I am fairly certain Marvin Bagley is shooting close to 110% from the field. Has he missed a shot yet this season? Haven't seen too many players like him, because i'm not sure that he is spectacular at any one skill other than being freakishly athletic for a guy who is 6'11

Trae Young is insane. It's like watching Jimmer Fredette or JJ Redick  except if those guys were also really good point guards.

Ping G LS Tec 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Rogue Max 75
Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g

#6 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 12 January 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

I only watch NCAA to scout the lottery picks. But there's some really interesting players this year.

Ayton and Bamba at times look like that scene in Billy Madison where he is playing dodgeball with children. I mean Ayton in particular is just massive, and Bamba is like Mr Fantastic with his length. It'll be tough to deal with in the NBA, i almost feel bad for a semi-athletic 6'2 guy who gets his shot volleyballed into the 7th row

I am fairly certain Marvin Bagley is shooting close to 110% from the field. Has he missed a shot yet this season? Haven't seen too many players like him, because i'm not sure that he is spectacular at any one skill other than being freakishly athletic for a guy who is 6'11

Trae Young is insane. It's like watching Jimmer Fredette or JJ Redick  except if those guys were also really good point guards.

JJ was more of a 2 guard than a point but I can see the comparisons to Steph Curry with the Young kid. Ayton is an animal, Ive watched some of his highlights and need to watch more games, but from what Ive see that guy is legit.

With all that said, wonder who goes where in the draft...what about the kid from Europe thats like a phenom and 19?? I can see Bagley going top 2.

#7 Hybrid

Hybrid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33268
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Rooting for the Butler Bulldogs. Iíd love to see them win vs Villanova, Xavier, Seton and Creighton, all top 25 opponents in the coming weeks. They are bracket busters for sure.

#8 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 11,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 7824

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

View Postblaird, on 12 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

HUGE Duke fan here (obviously). First off, congrats to devin and NC state on their win over us and the Clemson win, but was that an NC state inbound that bounced out of bounds first that the refs missed at the end of the game? I know there was another just like it after that one that got called.

Duke is really struggling on the defensive side of the ball this year, as well as the last couple years but for some reason they are having a really hard time stopping anybody. NC State put up 96 against us and BC put up a high number as well. Our games are going to be a lot of shootouts this year.

I have been watching more Oklahoma basketball this year, really like the freshman they got. WV did a good job defending him in the first half last week and caused like 10 turnovers from him.

Big Duke fan here also. Unfortunately they haven’t played much defense for the last few years. Duvall is really forcing things right now.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#9 devinh821

devinh821

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

View Postblaird, on 12 January 2018 - 12:15 PM, said:

The last two minutes of the game really reminded me of how many games we lost under gottfried. I was thinking keatts you have to be better than this. And we prevailed. Also held on against Duke at the end too which is totally not an NC State thing to do.
But yeah Dorin did it twice. He's a upperclassmen too. But at the same time the defender was completely over the line both times as well. ACC refs aren't very good for some reason. But hey Keatts is bringing the freshman guards along really well and improving Yurt so maybe we can win 5-6 more games and sneak in his first year!

#10 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22633

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

View Postblaird, on 12 January 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

JJ was more of a 2 guard than a point but I can see the comparisons to Steph Curry with the Young kid. Ayton is an animal, Ive watched some of his highlights and need to watch more games, but from what Ive see that guy is legit.

With all that said, wonder who goes where in the draft...what about the kid from Europe thats like a phenom and 19?? I can see Bagley going top 2.

Yeah for sure i just meant that JJ's senior year he had guys draped all over him all game and they ran a lot of screens to get him looks. Trae can get them on his own, but it's the same feel where if he just gets an inch of space he's letting it fly and defenses just have to guard him differently. JJ, Fredette, Trae, if you blink they are/were shooting a 3

I think Luca Doncic is the best player available and i think he is the greatest European prospect ever. His feel for the game as an 18 year old, his ability to not just play but be a damn good player in the top euro league and in eurobasket (Slovenia won gold!) at that age. It's amazing. He does everything, he's a 6'8 guy who can shoot, he can pass out of pick and rolls, he can score. He's not an elite athlete but neither is James Harden. When you are that good at everything else and can shoot. I mean he's like a 6'8 James Harden, except from slovenia

I don't know who i would take second. Probably Bagley. He needs to shoot better but he's a freak and can play multiple positions and is killing it at a top program.

Ayton and Bamba look solid but neither is a refined post up player. Maybe you get a Adams/Capela type or a Rudy Gobert type....Nothing wrong with that, not sure either is a superstar

Trae Young is very intriguing. Maybe he's the next Steph Curry who knows. Someone who shoots that well i'd probably take him high just for fear of playing against him LOL

Ping G LS Tec 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Rogue Max 75
Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Melanchthon

Melanchthon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489366
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

Donít sleep on Kaeta Bates-Diop in the draft.  Someone drafting mid to late first round would get a steal with him.

#12 knock it close

knock it close

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5778

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Starting to get into it now that college football is done, I'm a Zaga fan. Pac12 is in trouble this year and the Big12 looks really good.
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

#13 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

The adventure begins!

• 15,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 11749

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Iowa comes back from 20 down last night to beat my most hated Big Ten basketball team ever, Illinois!

Memories of two much better teams from 1987 at Illinois and a 22 point deficit - thank you Doug Altenberger for missing key free throws!

#14 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 1829

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 12 January 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

Iowa comes back from 20 down last night to beat my most hated Big Ten basketball team ever, Illinois!

Memories of two much better teams from 1987 at Illinois and a 22 point deficit - thank you Doug Altenberger for missing key free throws!

The feeling is mutual! Lol

#15 WKent

WKent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469928
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

If you like watching good defense watch UVA.   Holding great teams to around 50 points per game.

#16 knock it close

knock it close

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

That Gonzaga SMC game on thursday was a really good game, SMC is so deliberate and Jock is really good, one of the better games I've watched this year
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

#17 devinh821

devinh821

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

View PostWKent, on 20 January 2018 - 10:18 AM, said:

If you like watching good defense watch UVA.   Holding great teams to around 50 points per game.

Watch 35 fouls not called a game. Handchecking and reach in fouls are not called in the state of Virginia

#18 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostMtlJeff, on 12 January 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:

View Postblaird, on 12 January 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

Yeah for sure i just meant that JJ's senior year he had guys draped all over him all game and they ran a lot of screens to get him looks. Trae can get them on his own, but it's the same feel where if he just gets an inch of space he's letting it fly and defenses just have to guard him differently. JJ, Fredette, Trae, if you blink they are/were shooting a 3

I think Luca Doncic is the best player available and i think he is the greatest European prospect ever. His feel for the game as an 18 year old, his ability to not just play but be a damn good player in the top euro league and in eurobasket (Slovenia won gold!) at that age. It's amazing. He does everything, he's a 6'8 guy who can shoot, he can pass out of pick and rolls, he can score. He's not an elite athlete but neither is James Harden. When you are that good at everything else and can shoot. I mean he's like a 6'8 James Harden, except from slovenia

I don't know who i would take second. Probably Bagley. He needs to shoot better but he's a freak and can play multiple positions and is killing it at a top program.

Ayton and Bamba look solid but neither is a refined post up player. Maybe you get a Adams/Capela type or a Rudy Gobert type....Nothing wrong with that, not sure either is a superstar

Trae Young is very intriguing. Maybe he's the next Steph Curry who knows. Someone who shoots that well i'd probably take him high just for fear of playing against him LOL

JJ's senior year, he was shut down in ACC tournament and their NCAA tournament games, defenses just hounded him and he didnt have nearly the production he had before then but he was a blast to watch. I went back and watched his game against Texas his senior year when Duke and Texas were 1 and 2.

I like Trae and he has similar characteristics to Curry but the handful of games I have watched him, he has to cut down on the turnovers.

Duke has a great recruiting class coming in next year with the top 3 prospects and 4 of the top 10. We are probably losing all of our starting five so we need to replace. Coach K hit the recruiting jackpot for next year, hopefully they can play well together and hopefully we dont end up under NCAA investigation.

#19 WKent

WKent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

View Postdevinh821, on 20 January 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

Watch 35 fouls not called a game. Handchecking and reach in fouls are not called in the state of Virginia

Held Clemson to 36 points.  Real test Saturday at Duke. Virginia has not won at Duke in about 20 years.

#20 CEPick

CEPick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83060
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Please tell this to Jack Salt.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 WKent

WKent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

View PostCEPick, on 28 January 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Please tell this to Jack Salt.

Great game yesterday. It was a very rough game on both sides.  UVA held Duke to low sixties at Duke. Very impressive win.

#22 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:28 PM

Any chance Izzo survives this?  I think him and Dantonio are in boiling water.  Whether they did something wrong or not, the media and uninformed public want someone to be held accountable.  Iím not sure I see either surviving.  But I do think Izzo is in worse shape than Dantonio....
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*

#23 devinh821

devinh821

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:27 AM

The Pack making some noise as of late. Have two bigs games this week. Gotta win one outta two to get a shoe in to the big dance

If you would have told me State would have won 12 games this year I would have took it. Keatts has these guys playing out of their mind. Picked basically dead last in ACC preseason poll. Hopefully gonna finish in the top 5. 3 huge wins in his first year with more to go. I'm totally buying into the hype he's gonna have NC State in national spotlight year in and year out.

#24 klbrown514

klbrown514

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 161127
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

View Postdevinh821, on 07 February 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

The Pack making some noise as of late. Have two bigs games this week. Gotta win one outta two to get a shoe in to the big dance

If you would have told me State would have won 12 games this year I would have took it. Keatts has these guys playing out of their mind. Picked basically dead last in ACC preseason poll. Hopefully gonna finish in the top 5. 3 huge wins in his first year with more to go. I'm totally buying into the hype he's gonna have NC State in national spotlight year in and year out.

Yeah I just saw a t-shirt with "The new coach K".  I am not sure how I feel about that one yet, but while I figure it out... Go Pack!!!

#25 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:23 PM

BUCKEYES!!! Wins against MSU when they were #1 and now on the road against #3 Purdue.  Buckeyes now control the B1G.

Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*

#26 devinh821

devinh821

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

Dang Pack laid an egg last night at VT. Cut it to 6 with around 7 to go but couldn't get another stop or make a big bucket. Never let VT pull away thigh battled until the final whistle.
Hopefully Duke runs carolina to death before they visit PNC arena this Saturday!

#27 CHuntsman

CHuntsman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460084
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:37 AM

View PostSilverBullets, on 07 February 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

BUCKEYES!!! Wins against MSU when they were #1 and now on the road against #3 Purdue.  Buckeyes now control the B1G.

#OH-

#28 knock it close

knock it close

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

The Johnnies are an absolute ride, start 0-11 in conference, beat Duke and Nova in a week. Too bad Lovette went down but Ponds is electric
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

#29 CEPick

CEPick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83060
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:26 PM

My Hoos are staring a #1 ranking down. All that stands between them and # 1 is College Gameday vs VT.

They started the season unranked.

Edited by CEPick, 08 February 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#30 knock it close

knock it close

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

Completely irrelevant point but I hate the tights, I miss the giant undershirts ala Adam Morrison or Khalid El Amin

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors