Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Golf trips as a single?

single buddies trip vacation

44 replies to this topic

#31 st997777

st997777

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43254
  • Joined: 12/04/2007
  • Location:Midwest
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

I've been on 5 or 6 solo golf trips. 3 work related trips where I brought along the clubs. Those are the best because the rental car, airfare, hotel and baggage fee are all expense'd.  I've done 2 solo trips to Pinehurst and 1 trip recently to Chattanooga and Alabama. I usually go when crowds and rates are at the low end. I live in Chicago so I always drive when I take a solo trip. I love road trips and really enjoy that aspect of the travel. I echo a lot of the same sentiment as the previous posts. Going solo gives you a lot more flexibility and I've rarely had an issue with playing partners.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 defnotapro

defnotapro

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Joined: 02/22/2016
  • Location:TX
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdpelz
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

Forgot another good point, which I remembered after another solo trip this weekend to Phoenix, is that sometimes you get paired with guys who are members at private clubs and often by the end of the round you may get invited to join them if you are in their area. For example, a gentleman I was paired with at TPC Scottsdale is a member of the Olympic Club in San Francisco and said if I was ever out there to give him a call. Can bet I'll be out there within a year lol.

2

#33 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 272

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

 defnotapro, on 16 January 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

Forgot another good point, which I remembered after another solo trip this weekend to Phoenix, is that sometimes you get paired with guys who are members at private clubs and often by the end of the round you may get invited to join them if you are in their area. For example, a gentleman I was paired with at TPC Scottsdale is a member of the Olympic Club in San Francisco and said if I was ever out there to give him a call. Can bet I'll be out there within a year lol.

Don't wait too long, I remember reading about a guy who met someone randomly paired up who was a member at Pine Valley apparently and waited about a year to call him to play at PV, only to find out the PV member died!  RIP

Edited by schley, 16 January 2018 - 02:17 PM.


3

#34 Sh00terMcgavin

Sh00terMcgavin

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451804
  • Joined: 01/16/2017
  • Location:NJ
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

This thread seems perfect for me. I have ONE friend that golfs. And he isn't the type of person who likes to work on becoming better. None of my friends ever got into golf and I became really into it. So needless to say, they are now friends that i don't see very often because I like to spend most of my spare time golfing.

I will take solo golf trips a few times a year. Would love to take more. There are some parts of me that would love to have atleast one person on a constant basis who is into golf as much as I am to take golfing trips with. There is no one to push me to go away or say come on lets go to that course we have always wanted to play at.

However, I've started embracing solo golf trips. I quite enjoy making my own plans, my own decisions and not have to worry about pleasing someone else. Many times I will be paired with people which doesn't bother me at all. 99% of the people I have met on the golf course have been awesome so no complaints there. Playing solo is even more relaxing to me. Your competing against yourslef. Just you and the course. When I play with others, I always feel some sort of competitiveness among us. Of course no one wants to play like an idiot with complete strangers. When I play by myself, It's just a stress reliver and relaxing day. Sort of therapeutic.
Ping G400 HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
TEE EX10 Beta 15* Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
Callaway Apex UT 21*
Mizuno MP5
Vokey
Spider

4

#35 krtgolfing

krtgolfing

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430202
  • Joined: 06/23/2016
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

The only downside of solo trips I have encountered was having to say a cart when I play Bay Hill last year. Thankfully he was a very nice guy, but still felt a little weird.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
Odyssey Works Red #1W S

5

#36 duffer987

duffer987

    Wears trousers.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Joined: 09/03/2012
  • Location:Canadian in Texas
  • Handicap:7.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6586

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

 krtgolfing, on 18 January 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

The only downside of solo trips I have encountered was having to say a cart when I play Bay Hill last year. Thankfully he was a very nice guy, but still felt a little weird.

That's a really good point! Regardless of whether I am travelling or just playing my local, I'll avoid courses where I think a cart-share is on the cards when I go out on my own.
I'd always rather be paired with someone than play as a single, but ya I'm not so keen on the shared cart thing. Mainly for the chances of getting paired with a smoker or someone that doesn't have great cart etiquette, ie. wanting to drive to each ball and wait, instead of parking in the middle and going to balls separately.

6

#37 CDM

CDM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
  • Joined: 01/15/2008
  • Location:Denver, Co.
GolfWRX Likes : 421

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

WOW and I thought it was just me having these issues lately....LOL  I recently booked a Pinehurst trip as it got "dumped" a couple times in a row.  I figured I would just do it solo this time, but it now has turned into a family deal.  Honestly the cost did not change much as the airfare I just used points for the wife/daughter and room,car,etc was the same price regardless.  Its the extra food cost and the wife shopping that adds to the trip.

I noticed a couple of things in the last few years doing trips with a group and solo...

As a solo golfer I am noticing some courses don't like singles booking far in advance.  I know this started at Bandon Dunes.  They will only let a single book 21 days prior to play. Not complaining as I can see the reasoning. Just have to work the trip around that. I get its a business so I don't have issues with it.

Second, I have two sets of golf friends I found..."Golfers" and "Players".

My "Golfer" friends are there for fun, golf is just part of the package. They demand a full entertainment trip so to speak. 36 a day is not going to happen, early tee times...forget that.  This group set limits on how much the round cost, but not on entertainment. Don't get me wrong I am down for fun just as much as anyone but the main point of the trip for me is the golf. Booking trip with this group requires it to be a "city" type trip so there is a lot to entertain.... Ie: Sand Valley will never happen with them.

The "Players"... hands down golf first.  Pretty much all are low single digit to plus handicap.  36 a day better be happening or 36-18-36 type schedule. If carts are used and its not 36 a day the comment is "why not...we are in carts".  Oooo and make sure we are getting a reduced replay rate on the second round. All golf and good food, entertainment if it happens.  They are down for entertainment, but when I discuss a trip with this group they always point out "Its not the trip that cost, its the "after" events".  Ie: Sand Valley is what they want...!

Issue with players group, I did not travel as much as I do for golf until 6-7 years ago. Maybe once a year.  Now trying to get the players group to go I have to find places they are willing to go back to, or have not been.  I tossed out Cabot Links and Sand Valley....all over it.... Bandon, most have been 3-4 times so not high on the list as they would rather see the Cabot or Valley.

In 2018 I decided to knock of a few the locations SOLO.  Pinehurst will be checked off for sure and Bandon maybe later this year.

Sooooo since there is number of us in the same boat.... who is down for Sand Valley or Cabot Links  :D

Edited by Chile Dip Master, 22 January 2018 - 03:41 PM.


7

#38 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 23216

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Sand Valley? I'll probably head there in mid-June. Solo. Cabot Links will likely have to wait until I retire, and have an RV to cruise around the country. Have you considered the Sand Hills are of Nebraska?

8

#39 spud3

spud3

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119423
  • Joined: 12/27/2010
  • Location:Portland, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 922

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

 Chile Dip Master, on 22 January 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:


As a solo golfer I am noticing some courses don't like singles booking far in advance.  I know this started at Bandon Dunes.  They will only let a single book 21 days prior to play. Not complaining as I can see the reasoning. Just have to work the trip around that. I get its a business so I don't have issues with it.


Um... not completely correct for Bandon.  As long as you are staying at the resort, you can book all your tee times when you book your room.  Even as a single.

If you're staying off-property, then maybe the 21 day limit applies.  Not sure, as I've always stayed at the resort.
"take that, you miserable
little white swine!"

9

#40 defnotapro

defnotapro

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Joined: 02/22/2016
  • Location:TX
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:jdpelz
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

I've always wanted to go to Scotland to play golf. That being said, I have a few friends that said they would be interested in going to Scotland in Summer of 2019. Chile dip makes a good point about golfers and players. I would be in the players group (going to palm springs in March and playing 6 rounds in 3 days!). We are a mix. Some will play one round and some will play 2 but everyone is understands that tee times will be early and then after lunch, pick your round. That being said, I would invite anyone that would like to come play Scotland with us. It may be a group/solo trip as far as play with us when you want, don't when you don't want to. I won't be booking your flight, hotels or cars (I'll be glad to tell you where we are staying and obviously when we are flying in and out). I'm sure I'll have to be a tourist one day or afternoon in Edinburgh. Also going to Palm Springs in March if anyone is interested in that. Playing a couple privates as well.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 CDM

CDM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
  • Joined: 01/15/2008
  • Location:Denver, Co.
GolfWRX Likes : 421

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:42 PM

 spud3, on 22 January 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

 Chile Dip Master, on 22 January 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

As a solo golfer I am noticing some courses don't like singles booking far in advance.  I know this started at Bandon Dunes.  They will only let a single book 21 days prior to play. Not complaining as I can see the reasoning. Just have to work the trip around that. I get its a business so I don't have issues with it.


Um... not completely correct for Bandon.  As long as you are staying at the resort, you can book all your tee times when you book your room.  Even as a single.

If you're staying off-property, then maybe the 21 day limit applies.  Not sure, as I've always stayed at the resort.

I was booking Bandon about two years ago and a family issue came up and had to cancel. When I was booking it they would not let me book as a single more then 21 days out. That noted I could not stay on site as there was no rooms available, none regardless of what it was.  So you could be correct.

The thing that was great and bad about it, they had times available that worked well so I could hit the courses I wanted, but I still was going be charged the higher rate since I could not stay on site....I wanted to stay on site as a single, that way BS with who I played with that day.

11

#42 CDM

CDM

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
  • Joined: 01/15/2008
  • Location:Denver, Co.
GolfWRX Likes : 421

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:45 PM

 Argonne69, on 22 January 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Sand Valley? I'll probably head there in mid-June. Solo. Cabot Links will likely have to wait until I retire, and have an RV to cruise around the country. Have you considered the Sand Hills are of Nebraska?

Yep did that trip with a friend...only because we were able to get on Sand Hills. Plus you can drive it pretty easy. About 5 hours from Denver. THAT is the only trip everyone wanted to go on. *Only two could play SH so just the way it is.  REALLY good golf in the area.  Hidden gem's.   The Prairie Club is one the better golf resort places I have stayed to date.

12

#43 spud3

spud3

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119423
  • Joined: 12/27/2010
  • Location:Portland, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 922

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

 Chile Dip Master, on 22 January 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

 spud3, on 22 January 2018 - 04:27 PM, said:

 Chile Dip Master, on 22 January 2018 - 03:34 PM, said:

As a solo golfer I am noticing some courses don't like singles booking far in advance.  I know this started at Bandon Dunes.  They will only let a single book 21 days prior to play. Not complaining as I can see the reasoning. Just have to work the trip around that. I get its a business so I don't have issues with it.


Um... not completely correct for Bandon.  As long as you are staying at the resort, you can book all your tee times when you book your room.  Even as a single.

If you're staying off-property, then maybe the 21 day limit applies.  Not sure, as I've always stayed at the resort.

I was booking Bandon about two years ago and a family issue came up and had to cancel. When I was booking it they would not let me book as a single more then 21 days out. That noted I could not stay on site as there was no rooms available, none regardless of what it was.  So you could be correct.

The thing that was great and bad about it, they had times available that worked well so I could hit the courses I wanted, but I still was going be charged the higher rate since I could not stay on site....I wanted to stay on site as a single, that way BS with who I played with that day.

Just booked for myself for March 2019 last week, staying on site.  Made four tee times for myself.  Been doing it like this for five years now; always get to set the tee times after booking the room.

Staying off-property, all bets are off.  Higher rates (unless you are an Oregonian) and limited window to make tee times.

Edited by spud3, 22 January 2018 - 10:17 PM.

"take that, you miserable
little white swine!"

13

#44 Metzexpress4

Metzexpress4

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 328595
  • Joined: 07/22/2014
  • Location:Warminster, PA
  • Handicap:9.6
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

 exgolfpro, on 12 January 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

For the last 5 years, my wife and I have taken a vacation in Wisconsin.  She does not play, but does enjoy going along and taking pictures, etc.  At least at the resort type courses (Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Black Wolf Run, etc) we have never had anyone that had a problem with me playing as a single and her going along.  In probably 50% of the cases, I get to play alone.  But, I'm fine if I get paired up as well.

Two years ago, I booked an afternoon time at The Bull at Pinehurst Farms, a top quality public course near the other resort courses.  They had paired me with 2 other guys, but there were no times booked after us.  So, I just let them go on their own and I followed behind.

I have played Erin Hills 3x.  I have been paired up with someone every single time.  I've played Whistling Straits 5x, I have played alone 2 of those times.  So it just depends on time of day and day of the week as to if you get paired up or not.  Of all these rounds (probably 25 in all) I can only think of one time that I was paired with someone that I didn't enjoy playing with.

Hey exgolfpro, you mentioned playing Whistling a number of times. I am traveling to WI in June and will be playing EH and Whistling by myself. I reached out to book a time and was told I can book two weeks in advance or book a room ($205 for the night) and they will book my time this early. Do I need to suck it up and book the room or can I get on as a single making a tee time two weeks out for the Straits course.

Thanks!
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 - Aldila Rogue-Silver, Stiff 69g
TaylorMade R11s - ProForce V2, Stiff 76g
3Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner - Stock Stiff
Callaway Apex 4-PW True Temper XP-95 S300
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* 56* 60*
Kenny Giannini - G-4 No Neck, 34in w/ Superstroke Slim 3.0

14

#45 ceejay81

ceejay81

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492284
  • Joined: 01/30/2018
  • Location:Washington, DC
GolfWRX Likes : 1637

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

Right now my gf and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a Scotland/Ireland trip.  She's totally on board with me bringing my clubs and playing golf on some of the days.  We probably won't stay at any of the golf courses, so I'm not sure if I'll have any guaranteed tee times, but it doesn't seem so bad for a single to walk on at a lot of these places.  The Old Course might be a bit tougher, but I'm totally cool with being at the course at 2am just to see if there's a chance I can play.  It's hard planning a vacation/golf trip for two people when only one of them will be playing.

Hive Tour Titles: 1

15




Also tagged with single, buddies, trip, vacation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors