Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

michigan golf trip


  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 reperna

reperna

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124628
  • Joined: 03/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

Hey Guys,

my yearly group of guys is starting to talk about where we want to go for our golf weekend this summer. It seems like we have covered just about every major golf course/resort up north. Anyone have any different ideas that are about 3-4 hour drive either way from metro detroit?

thanks for the advice!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 BUCKEYERBALL88

BUCKEYERBALL88

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358819
  • Joined: 01/20/2015
  • Location:SCOTTSDALE, AZ
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

View Postreperna, on 11 January 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

my yearly group of guys is starting to talk about where we want to go for our golf weekend this summer. It seems like we have covered just about every major golf course/resort up north. Anyone have any different ideas that are about 3-4 hour drive either way from metro detroit?

thanks for the advice!


I love shepherds Hollow in the Detroit suburbs. 27 holes, Arthur hills Design. Beautiful has that up north feel

2

#3 tjblue

tjblue

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288705
  • Joined: 12/23/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

Stay and play.....Virtues Golf Club & Eaglesticks Golf Club, located in Zanesville, OH

3

#4 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Joined: 12/21/2015
  • Location:Austin
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1409

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

We did a week long golf trip to Michigan last summer.  We rented a house in Shanty Creek and played these courses.  It was a spectacular trip.

Arcadia Bluffs
Cedar River
Forest Dunes
Hawk's Eye
Kingsley Club
LochenHeath

LochenHeath and Arcadia Bluffs were our two favorites.

4

#5 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Joined: 05/25/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

Garland Resort if you haven't been before....not much in the town at all but if you are there for pure golf, it's one of my favorites.  A pure rustic feeling in a nothing town with 4 courses.  Also, it's only 45 min from Forest Dunes so you have a great 5th option or you can go 45 min north and play any of the courses in Gaylord.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

5

#6 tommg

tommg

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125735
  • Joined: 04/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

Check out Manistee National

6

#7 LansingMI

LansingMI

    Top 200 golfer in Lansing Michigan

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106224
  • Joined: 04/12/2010
  • Location:Lansing, MI
  • Ebay ID:Kyleduckworth517
GolfWRX Likes : 571

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

Battle Creek has Gull Lake View, 6 courses I believe.


Search it on here

Edited by LansingMI, 12 January 2018 - 02:38 PM.

TM r9 10.5 with Aldila Rouge 95msi A-flex 44"

COBRA Baffler XL 16* 18*
COBRA Baffler XL 22* 25* 30* hybrids
COBRA FLY-Z XL 7-PW

DTG Component Wedges 49* 54* 60* 64* (custom grinds) torched plus 15g lead powder.

Heavy Putter B2m 34" Ust FF Bocceri Secret MID

7

#8 reperna

reperna

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124628
  • Joined: 03/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

weve played both those also. great courses!

View PostRoadking2003, on 12 January 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

We did a week long golf trip to Michigan last summer.  We rented a house in Shanty Creek and played these courses.  It was a spectacular trip.

Arcadia Bluffs
Cedar River
Forest Dunes
Hawk's Eye
Kingsley Club
LochenHeath

LochenHeath and Arcadia Bluffs were our two favorites.

i will check it out!

View Posttjblue, on 11 January 2018 - 10:23 PM, said:

Stay and play.....Virtues Golf Club & Eaglesticks Golf Club, located in Zanesville, OH

love that place, it was my first job! haha

View PostBUCKEYERBALL88, on 11 January 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

View Postreperna, on 11 January 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hey Guys,

my yearly group of guys is starting to talk about where we want to go for our golf weekend this summer. It seems like we have covered just about every major golf course/resort up north. Anyone have any different ideas that are about 3-4 hour drive either way from metro detroit?

thanks for the advice!


I love shepherds Hollow in the Detroit suburbs. 27 holes, Arthur hills Design. Beautiful has that up north feel


8

#9 nicolasUVA

nicolasUVA

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420950
  • Joined: 04/14/2016
  • Location:Charlottesville, VA
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Though certainly biased because I am from there, Michigan, especially "Up North" is one of the best golf destinations in the country. I'm sure you and your guys have played (or considered the hits -
Arcadia Bluffs (second course on the way there, not sure when it opens)
Forest Dunes (both the Wieskopf and Doak's Loop are worth the trip - if doing 36 - play FD, Loop Black, stay the night, Loop Red + FD the next)
Bay Harbor (27 holes, great views, tough track).

To answer your question though, heres an idea a little off the beaten path, but closer to both metro Detroit and Chicago - South Haven/Saugatuck area.

Hawkwshead is one of my favorite tracks in the mitten
Beeches is a great deal and well conditioned for a low greens fee.
Ravines
Can sneak up to Holland if need be and add on Macatawa.

9

#10 vallygolf

vallygolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:az
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

IMO  Kingsley Club (not hard to get on even though private)>Forest Dunes> Arcadia Bluffs>The Loop> everything else accessable.  All top notch.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 reperna

reperna

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124628
  • Joined: 03/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

View PostnicolasUVA, on 15 January 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

Though certainly biased because I am from there, Michigan, especially "Up North" is one of the best golf destinations in the country. I'm sure you and your guys have played (or considered the hits -
Arcadia Bluffs (second course on the way there, not sure when it opens)
Forest Dunes (both the Wieskopf and Doak's Loop are worth the trip - if doing 36 - play FD, Loop Black, stay the night, Loop Red + FD the next)
Bay Harbor (27 holes, great views, tough track).

To answer your question though, heres an idea a little off the beaten path, but closer to both metro Detroit and Chicago - South Haven/Saugatuck area.

Hawkwshead is one of my favorite tracks in the mitten
Beeches is a great deal and well conditioned for a low greens fee.
Ravines
Can sneak up to Holland if need be and add on Macatawa.

thanks for the info! We played the loop last year, although just one way. its now one of my favorite courses.

11

#12 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

    HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243301
  • Joined: 04/06/2013
  • Location:Winston-Salem, NC
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:blamert
GolfWRX Likes : 695

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Since you mentioned already playing the courses "up north" I would recommend something a little different. As someone who used to call this area home, I would highly recommend the GR area for golf. There is an abundance of quality public golf, plus the GR area offers a lot of off-course options as well. I mean within a 30 min drive of downtown GR I would recommend playing:
  • Pilgrims Run
  • Boulder Creek
  • Thousand Oaks (I believe they're semi-private now)
  • Quail Ridge
  • Thornapple Pointe
  • LE Kaufman (owned by the city, but has the best greens in town. hosts the city championship)
  • The Mines
  • The Meadows (home to Grand Valley)
If you have any connections to a private course, your options expand even further. Kent CC, Cascade Hills CC, Watermark CC, etc.

Not to mention GR is only about a 35 min drive to Lake Michigan, has tons of terrific dining options, has a vibrant downtown nightlife, a minor league baseball team, and has been voted Beer City USA for quite a few years running.
Callaway Epic 10.5* - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70x
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5 or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW - TT Dynamic Gold S300
Nike Engage 54* SS & 58* DS - TT Dynamic Gold S400
Custom Nike Method 001 or Toulon San Diego (on order)
Taylormade TP5x

12

#13 Jungleland

Jungleland

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Joined: 11/02/2016
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

Some great courses in here, just bring the bug spray - damn those flies are huge in the summer.

13



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors