Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Are you a smart golfer or a dumb golfer?


128 replies to this topic

#61 fillwelix

fillwelix

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
  • Joined: 05/10/2013
  • Location:New Jersey
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

I fall into the same trap where a safe shot becomes a chunk or a screw up. Maybe I should just convince myself that a safe shot is more risky, because then I'll actually concentrate on it...

WITB
Taylormade M2 2016 9.5*      Fuji Speeder Evolution IV 589 X
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL      Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g 04
Taylormade M2 2017 3 h        MRC Kuro Kage TiNi 80g S
Taylormade P770 4i-5i            Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Taylormade P730 6-PW          Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Vokey SM6 50 54 58               Aerotech Steelfiber i125 S
Byron Morgan DH89

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 GMR

GMR

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
  • Joined: 04/17/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

View Postfillwelix, on 11 January 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

I fall into the same trap where a safe shot becomes a chunk or a screw up. Maybe I should just convince myself that a safe shot is more risky, because then I'll actually concentrate on it...
Funny enough, oftentimes the safe shot IS riskier (albeit with a higher probability of success) since the penalty for missing can be more severe. Iron off tee vs driver on a tight tree-lined hole is a good example... Missing with the iron just leaves you with the same shot as the driver miss but back 70 yards.

2

#63 bazinky

bazinky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
  • Joined: 06/29/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 645

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

View PostGMR, on 11 January 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

View Postfillwelix, on 11 January 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

I fall into the same trap where a safe shot becomes a chunk or a screw up. Maybe I should just convince myself that a safe shot is more risky, because then I'll actually concentrate on it...
Funny enough, oftentimes the safe shot IS riskier (albeit with a higher probability of success) since the penalty for missing can be more severe. Iron off tee vs driver on a tight tree-lined hole is a good example... Missing with the iron just leaves you with the same shot as the driver miss but back 70 yards.

This is something that a lot of golfers struggle to understand. In my opinion, playing a shorter club off the tee only makes sense in two situations:

1. When your desired landing area is SIGNIFICANTLY wider on your layup.
2. When playing driver brings a hazard into play that laying up avoids.

Edited by bazinky, 11 January 2018 - 03:24 PM.

Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Titleist Studio Select Newport 2 - 33"

3

#64 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

    Hotel California Escapee

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Joined: 09/24/2008
  • Location:Alabama
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 45177

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

I fear the blown lay up. Has me shaking in my boots.

"So you think you're a smart guy?".................golf gods
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
    Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
    Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

  



Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

4

#65 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3976

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Golf is an entertainment for me, so the smart choice is always the riskiest, flashiest, most rewarding shot imaginable. (Itís a good strategy for drunken charity scrambles, too.)


5

#66 aliikane

aliikane

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Joined: 08/29/2010
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:23 PM

For me it depends on the day. Just practicing, I am going to hit the hero shot just to see what can be done. Match or tournament, I am most likely taking the safe play to avoid the big numbers unless I have to make up strokes quickly then going for the hero shot.

Edited by aliikane, 13 January 2018 - 02:27 AM.


6

#67 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1028

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:57 PM

View Postjslane57, on 11 January 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

I always go for the risky shot...if my miss to the risky shot will end up safe.

If you know you can pull off the shot, and the bail out is not so bad, is it truly a risky shot?

Sounds like you feel very strongly both ways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Callaway PM Grind 56* SW & 64* LW
Scotty M1 Mallet

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

7

#68 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2229

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:59 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 11 January 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

View Postjslane57, on 11 January 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

I always go for the risky shot...if my miss to the risky shot will end up safe.

If you know you can pull off the shot, and the bail out is not so bad, is it truly a risky shot?

Sounds like you feel very strongly both ways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D
Hah! I guess so. What is risky of some, is not risky for others...
Ping G5 13*
Ping ISIs 3,5,7,9,PW,54.5*
Ping D66

'Gaps' are a delusion of the hopelessly anal. - Petunia Sprinkle

8

#69 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1028

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

View Postbazinky, on 11 January 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

View PostGMR, on 11 January 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

View Postfillwelix, on 11 January 2018 - 01:40 PM, said:

I fall into the same trap where a safe shot becomes a chunk or a screw up. Maybe I should just convince myself that a safe shot is more risky, because then I'll actually concentrate on it...
Funny enough, oftentimes the safe shot IS riskier (albeit with a higher probability of success) since the penalty for missing can be more severe. Iron off tee vs driver on a tight tree-lined hole is a good example... Missing with the iron just leaves you with the same shot as the driver miss but back 70 yards.

This is something that a lot of golfers struggle to understand. In my opinion, playing a shorter club off the tee only makes sense in two situations:

1. When your desired landing area is SIGNIFICANTLY wider on your layup.
2. When playing driver brings a hazard into play that laying up avoids.

I can't think of a single golfer I've EVER played with who hits his driver straighter than his 3-wood or his 3-wood straighter than his 4 iron or his 4 iron straighter than his 7 iron,,,,,,,,,,, I guess you get the point.

The idea of "laying up" off the tee of a tight hole is to actually HAVE a 2nd shot albeit 20-30 yards longer.



View PostConrad1953, on 11 January 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

I fear the blown lay up. Has me shaking in my boots.

:help:

If you think about it, the layup should be the easiest shot in golf, the one with the least stress of all. I mean you have about 20 yards right OR left to miss and often unlimited yardage to miss short (or long).

If you drive the ball say 240 on a par 500 yards par 5, you can't get home in 2. You can hit a smooth 6 iron about 160 and have only 100 in. Even with a "big miss" (blown ?) layup that same 6 iron goes 120 and you still only have an 8 iron in.

The layup probably has the largest margin of error of any shot you play in a round. Just relax and let it go. :good:
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Callaway PM Grind 56* SW & 64* LW
Scotty M1 Mallet

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

9

#70 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:4.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1028

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:15 AM

View PostDavePelz4, on 10 January 2018 - 02:06 PM, said:

View PostMtlJeff, on 10 January 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

My course management has been described as very stable, genius

Still talking to yourself a lot?

Posted Image

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*
Ping G20 5-U, DG S300
Callaway PM Grind 56* SW & 64* LW
Scotty M1 Mallet

Chrome Soft TruvisYellow

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 lake2195

lake2195

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 312065
  • Joined: 04/29/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

My last round which was only 9 holes. I went for both par 5s in two one of which called for a 3 wood off the pine straw around one tree and under another, and tried to drive a 287 yard par 4 which is heavily bunkered and you can't miss long or right so I'm in the numb category.

11

#72 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Indiana
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

I am an idiotic golfer. I never lay up, I’ve never seen a pin I didn’t go directly at and I am 9/10 going to miss a putt long. I try flop shots way more than I should and if I’ve got a window to go toward the green while punching I’ll do that 100% of the time. I am good for big numbers almost every round, but I am just going to try to hit the best shots I can all day. I don’t care about my score at the end of the day. I care about pulling stuff off I thought I couldn’t
Cobra F7+ 10.5 diamana whiteboard 63s
Cobra F6 Baffler 16 Matrix Code 8
Cobra F7 3/4 hybrid 20.5 diamana D+ 90s
Bridgestone j38 DPC 4-P s300
Cleveland Rtx-3 52 tour raw, Rtx 2.0 58 Black satin
Ping redwood anser

12

#73 kgeisler13

kgeisler13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314595
  • Joined: 05/13/2014
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

I should have titled this conservative or risky player instead of smart or dumb.  I just like to use more of my imagination when getting out of trouble than just punching out sideways.
KG

13

#74 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3976

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

View Postkgeisler13, on 12 January 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

I should have titled this conservative or risky player instead of smart or dumb.  I just like to use more of my imagination when getting out of trouble than just punching out sideways.

Risky and conservative, in golf at least, are relative. Going for a par5 in two might be considered riskier than laying up, but if your game around the green is stunningly better than your approach shots, even with a pitching wedge, is it still riskier to go for it in two? Maybe so, but it might be smarter to take that risk, if thatís your game.

14

#75 fillwelix

fillwelix

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
  • Joined: 05/10/2013
  • Location:New Jersey
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 January 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

View Postkgeisler13, on 12 January 2018 - 08:52 AM, said:

I should have titled this conservative or risky player instead of smart or dumb.  I just like to use more of my imagination when getting out of trouble than just punching out sideways.

Risky and conservative, in golf at least, are relative. Going for a par5 in two might be considered riskier than laying up, but if your game around the green is stunningly better than your approach shots, even with a pitching wedge, is it still riskier to go for it in two? Maybe so, but it might be smarter to take that risk, if that's your game.

For me, that definitely applies considering there's no trouble left of the green. I'm much more comfortable chipping up and in, so if I know there's not much around the green I'll just bomb it out in the general area of the flag and hope for the best.

WITB
Taylormade M2 2016 9.5*      Fuji Speeder Evolution IV 589 X
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL      Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g 04
Taylormade M2 2017 3 h        MRC Kuro Kage TiNi 80g S
Taylormade P770 4i-5i            Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Taylormade P730 6-PW          Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Vokey SM6 50 54 58               Aerotech Steelfiber i125 S
Byron Morgan DH89

15

#76 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 927

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

I play Seve golf and that's smart and FUN to me! Like Seve it doesn't always work out but when it does it's a thing to behold. BB
Irons: 3/10 Edel carbon RAW, Fourteen FH-1000
Drivers: Ping G400
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Toulon Indianapolis
Balls: 2017 B330s

16

#77 Middler

Middler

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486136
  • Joined: 11/06/2017
  • Location:Chicagoland
  • Handicap:14.1
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Usually smart, but I'll try the dumb move once in a while depending on circumstances. I know what hero shots I can pull off (long, low punches, high shots over trees, and cuts) and which I can't (big hook, and I don't subscribe to the 'trees are 90% air' rule)...
Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W 15°
Mizuno CLK 3 Hybrid 19°
Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10
Evnroll ER2
Snell MTB
Ogio Silencer

17

#78 fillwelix

fillwelix

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
  • Joined: 05/10/2013
  • Location:New Jersey
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

View PostMiddler, on 12 January 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Usually smart, but I'll try the dumb move once in a while depending on circumstances. I know what hero shots I can pull off (long, low punches, high shots over trees, and cuts) and which I can't (big hook, and I don't subscribe to the 'trees are 90% air' rule)...

This might be the important part. Knowing which hero shots you can pull off. I know that I shouldn't attempt a big flop unless it's absolutely necessary, but lifting a 5 iron over a tree? I'll take that on
WITB
Taylormade M2 2016 9.5*      Fuji Speeder Evolution IV 589 X
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL      Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g 04
Taylormade M2 2017 3 h        MRC Kuro Kage TiNi 80g S
Taylormade P770 4i-5i            Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Taylormade P730 6-PW          Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Vokey SM6 50 54 58               Aerotech Steelfiber i125 S
Byron Morgan DH89

18

#79 8thehardway

8thehardway

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1428
  • Joined: 06/07/2005
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:desalj
GolfWRX Likes : 473

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostKMeloney, on 10 January 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

Mr. Ed = Stable genius?

Nice!

I think he meant staple genius

Attached Thumbnails

  • staple genius.jpg

Callaway Big Bertha 12.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Kasco hybrid 23*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie

19

#80 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16047

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

View PostRoody, on 11 January 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

View Post3sip, on 10 January 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

there is nothing worse than f#!king up a "smart shot". Short par 4 trouble all around, so I'm smart I hit 3I of the tee and hook it off the planet. Then I get stupid and try the hero shot to save the hole. I think it has worked once maybe but everytime I f it up, I remember that one time.... I'm stoopid
I know that feeling. I lost count the number of times I've hit 3-iron off the tee because I'm usually able to control that better, but pull it into a hazard and then say to myself "I could've yanked it into a hazard with driver, way to play it safe dumba$$"

And not only could you have yanked your driver into the hazard, but you would be a lot farther up when you have to take your drop. I have experienced this a time or two. lol

Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 3/7
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58/62
Callaway Odyssey "O" Tank 7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#81 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2229

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:39 PM

I will just throw this out there: If you totally mess up a layup shot, that doesn't mean you're a dumb golfer. There are two parts to every shot, the plan and the execution. Having a poor plan is what creates dumb golfers. Having a poor execution just makes you human:) Of course, a good plan will always make the execution easier. Typically if one is messing up their layups, they're planning a shot that is not comfortable for them, layup or not. A smart time to hit a 4-iron (if you never hit your 4-iron well) is never, certainly not on the most narrow hole on the course...
Ping G5 13*
Ping ISIs 3,5,7,9,PW,54.5*
Ping D66

'Gaps' are a delusion of the hopelessly anal. - Petunia Sprinkle

21

#82 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6035

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

Off the course, smarter than most Johnny.  3 degrees on the wall but that means jack in the game of life as you all know

Golf IQ .. stupider than my cocker spaniel on single malt

I can't play conservative golf.  It's no fun for me.  I am not joking.  If there is a sniff of reaching a par 5 I am pulling the trigger.  If there is a driveable par 4 I pull driver

I rarely hit a club other than driver off the tee .... it's one of my straightest clubs

When I am 92 on my deathbed I am going to remember that high cut 3w over a lake for an eagle, not the 8i layup and fatted sand wedge to 20 feet

My buddies always say "let me guess, you're going for it"
TaylorMade '16 M2 11* Fujikura Motore 6.2x
Callaway GBB 3w 15* Diamana BB og 63x
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Diamana WB og 83x
Callaway x2 Hot 4h 22* Matrix HQ3 R Tie Altus sx
Callaway Apex 5h 25* Matrix HQ3 Red Tie Altus x
Ping s55 6-PW Nippon 1150gh x
Titleist Vokey SM2 50* dgs400
Titleist Vokey SM2 TVD 54*M dgs400
Titleist Vokey SM2 TVD 60*M dgs400
Scotty Cameron X7M 25g weights Iomic

22

#83 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
  • Joined: 07/12/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 1724

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

View Postkgeisler13, on 10 January 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 10 January 2018 - 03:12 PM, said:

Safe and smart.  I compete with longer hitters by keeping it in play and never making double.  I wear people down with my chipping and putting.

I play with guys all the time who ought to be breaking 80 but can’t break 90 because of their decision making.  You’d think that final score would be more important than the hero shot, but not for some.

The final score is always important.  I try to shoot in the 70s low 80s every time I play but I'm only as good as my swing that day.  If I have my swing going, I feel as if I can hit any shot that day and I'm probably going to take risky shots out of trouble.  

I am not saying I'm the player saying trees are 90 percent air and trying to smack it through 6 trees, I always look to advance the ball forward even if its a little bit, instead of punching out straight sideways.

Just last year, I tried to play through 6 trees.  Made it through 5 and hit the 6th one dead center.  It was about 50 yards from where I was standing.  The ball bounced dead straight off the tree and came right back at me, through the other 5 trees.  I had to run out of the way.  Net result:  30 yards directly backwards from where I was standing.  But it makes a better story than a punch out bogey.

23

#84 naj959

naj959

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66497
  • Joined: 09/26/2008
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

I'm amazed that more often than not I'm able to pull off a recovery shot when I hit a wayward drive. I think using my imagination frees up my swing and allows me to execute most of the time. If I have an opening then I will take it and try to get the ball on or close to the green. I hit my best recovery shot this year when I hit a 150 yard 7 iron around and under a tree in front of me and into a gap in the tree canopy up ahead. The ball faded 10 yards to the pin and stopped on a dime a foot away from the pin. Sunk the birdie haha. Give me a stock wedge inside of 70 yards and I might be 30 feet away from the pin.

24

#85 fillwelix

fillwelix

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249866
  • Joined: 05/10/2013
  • Location:New Jersey
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

View Postnaj959, on 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

I'm amazed that more often than not I'm able to pull off a recovery shot when I hit a wayward drive. I think using my imagination frees up my swing and allows me to execute most of the time. If I have an opening then I will take it and try to get the ball on or close to the green. I hit my best recovery shot this year when I hit a 150 yard 7 iron around and under a tree in front of me and into a gap in the tree canopy up ahead. The ball faded 10 yards to the pin and stopped on a dime a foot away from the pin. Sunk the birdie haha. Give me a stock wedge inside of 70 yards and I might be 30 feet away from the pin.

Totally agree, puts more focus and more concentration on the shot at hand. I hit a 3 iron stinger that traveled about 180 through the trees about 3 feet off the ground. I did it once, and I was in those trees a lot this year, but I did it once!

WITB
Taylormade M2 2016 9.5*      Fuji Speeder Evolution IV 589 X
Taylormade M2 2016 3HL      Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g 04
Taylormade M2 2017 3 h        MRC Kuro Kage TiNi 80g S
Taylormade P770 4i-5i            Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Taylormade P730 6-PW          Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S
Vokey SM6 50 54 58               Aerotech Steelfiber i125 S
Byron Morgan DH89

25

#86 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 6035

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

View Postfillwelix, on 12 January 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Postnaj959, on 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

I'm amazed that more often than not I'm able to pull off a recovery shot when I hit a wayward drive. I think using my imagination frees up my swing and allows me to execute most of the time. If I have an opening then I will take it and try to get the ball on or close to the green. I hit my best recovery shot this year when I hit a 150 yard 7 iron around and under a tree in front of me and into a gap in the tree canopy up ahead. The ball faded 10 yards to the pin and stopped on a dime a foot away from the pin. Sunk the birdie haha. Give me a stock wedge inside of 70 yards and I might be 30 feet away from the pin.

Totally agree, puts more focus and more concentration on the shot at hand. I hit a 3 iron stinger that traveled about 180 through the trees about 3 feet off the ground. I did it once, and I was in those trees a lot this year, but I did it once!

EXACTLY

How cool does it feel when you intentionally smother hook an 8i with 30 yards of curve around a grove of trees etc etc  ?

Funny story, CDN Mid-Am a handful of years ago.  Playing with a fellow wrx'r.  Long uphill par 4.  #1 Hdcp hole.

Block a drive right behind a MONSTER oak tree and some small trees behind it.  Only play out is a sideways chip, still leaving me 165 in ... or a vicious slice / punch 5 iron 10 feet off the ground.  i went with the slice, pulled it off (ended up right of the right back pin) and made birdie.  I don't recall much else of those 2 rounds except the MC.

Edited by cardoustie, 12 January 2018 - 04:46 PM.

TaylorMade '16 M2 11* Fujikura Motore 6.2x
Callaway GBB 3w 15* Diamana BB og 63x
Callaway GBB 5w 18* Diamana WB og 83x
Callaway x2 Hot 4h 22* Matrix HQ3 R Tie Altus sx
Callaway Apex 5h 25* Matrix HQ3 Red Tie Altus x
Ping s55 6-PW Nippon 1150gh x
Titleist Vokey SM2 50* dgs400
Titleist Vokey SM2 TVD 54*M dgs400
Titleist Vokey SM2 TVD 60*M dgs400
Scotty Cameron X7M 25g weights Iomic

26

#87 Pigems

Pigems

    Left Handed

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Joined: 04/21/2013
  • Location:Halifax, NS
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 16759

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

On a scale of David Simms(1) to Roy McAvoy(10), Id say Iím about a Davoy ScAvoy(7.5), sometimes higher.

Edited by Pigems, 12 January 2018 - 05:00 PM.

Ping G LST 9*- Silver TiNi 60x
PIng G 14.5*- Silver TiNi 70x
716 T-MB 3 iron - DG S400
710 AP2 4i-9i - DG S300
SM5 47* 51* 55*- S300
TVD 59*M - DG S300
Studio Select NP2

27

#88 lawsonman

lawsonman

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Joined: 03/29/2012
  • Location:Freeport, Illinois
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 3115

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Early spring and late fall I wear jeans so that makes me a dumb golfer.
Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrous
Ping Anser 18.5
Taylormade RBZ 19 & 22 Hybrid
Ping G400's 5-UW
Ping Redwood Anser
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball
Ping DLX Bag

28

#89 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,971 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Joined: 11/01/2008
  • Location:Montreal
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 20542

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:12 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 12 January 2018 - 04:41 PM, said:

View Postfillwelix, on 12 January 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Postnaj959, on 12 January 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

I'm amazed that more often than not I'm able to pull off a recovery shot when I hit a wayward drive. I think using my imagination frees up my swing and allows me to execute most of the time. If I have an opening then I will take it and try to get the ball on or close to the green. I hit my best recovery shot this year when I hit a 150 yard 7 iron around and under a tree in front of me and into a gap in the tree canopy up ahead. The ball faded 10 yards to the pin and stopped on a dime a foot away from the pin. Sunk the birdie haha. Give me a stock wedge inside of 70 yards and I might be 30 feet away from the pin.

Totally agree, puts more focus and more concentration on the shot at hand. I hit a 3 iron stinger that traveled about 180 through the trees about 3 feet off the ground. I did it once, and I was in those trees a lot this year, but I did it once!

EXACTLY

How cool does it feel when you intentionally smother hook an 8i with 30 yards of curve around a grove of trees etc etc  ?

Funny story, CDN Mid-Am a handful of years ago.  Playing with a fellow wrx'r.  Long uphill par 4.  #1 Hdcp hole.

Block a drive right behind a MONSTER oak tree and some small trees behind it.  Only play out is a sideways chip, still leaving me 165 in ... or a vicious slice / punch 5 iron 10 feet off the ground.  i went with the slice, pulled it off (ended up right of the right back pin) and made birdie.  I don't recall much else of those 2 rounds except the MC.

My 2 alltime greatest shots are probably shots i wouldn't have tried in a tournament. So that probably says a lot about my course management. I tend to be more cautious in competition....

But yeah, there's nothing better than pulling off a great shot exactly how you planned.

My most recent of the 2, was this year when on a 405yd par 4 i pulled a ball into trees right of the fairway. Ended up with 170 in and only shot was to aim 30yds left of the green which is OB (there is also OB right of the green, let's just say it's not a fun hole). Ended up hitting a 30yd hook (i'm a lefty) right on the number that also had to miss a few branches. It was perfectly executed. I honestly almost walked off the course LOL
Ping G LS Tec 9 w/ Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Apex 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

29

#90 kujosit

kujosit

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46695
  • Joined: 01/22/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:18 PM

Dumb golfer.  My motto is ... Go Big or Go Home....  I justify it by making the most out of my round and greens fee.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors