Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Old Fitting vs. New Fitting....Pretty big change....Anybody Have This? Thoughts on Buying New?


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

Fitted in 2005 for Ping G5 irons....Blue Dot (+1 degree upright), regular flex/length steel shaft.   Was fitted earlier this week and now they have me at Red Dot (-1 degree flat) and shaft +.25.  They also used a Project X 6.0 stiff shaft.  Pretty much everything in a club came out different than old fitting (old fitting was at same place but no Trackman that long ago).

I hit a bunch of brands but loved G irons. After fitting I hit my old G5 it felt like a lot of effort compared to new clubs.  Not sure if that makes sense.  New irons, regardless of brand, felt so much easier to swing.   I was hoping to just get my G5's refitted to save money. I didn't think my lie would change that much.  I was told they can't be bent that far (two degree change in lie).  

My old G5's had a draw tendency of about 5-6 yards (G5's are known to be bias to a draw).  The G's had dispersion of about 1 foot.  The G's were 10 yards further than G5's.  I thought it was due to stronger lofts but it really came down to faster ball speed and trajectory of ball flight.  Trackman sure gives you a bunch of different feedback.  It was awesome to see hard data on the difference between clubs.  

Question:   Has anybody else experienced such a change in fitting and how did it impact your play?  

Cost: 6-UW, SW is $550ish and 5-UW, SW is $630ish.  Appears to be very well priced. I was given $130 in gift cards for new clubs and can sell my old set for about $100 so that's good.  Thoughts on this price?  

I golf about 20+ rounds during the season. I think I had 28 rounds last year.  

Side note:  2nd club choice would have been Mizuno.  Those were amazing club.  Same dispersion pattern as Ping G's (1 foot) but shorter distance (same as my G5).   I couldn't hit Callaways for s***.  Even tried the new Rouge.  Nope.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

So nobody else has had such a big change in fit?  :swoon:

2

#3 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2099

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Depends on shaft weight and EI profile of that first shaft. For example, it's not a huge deal to do from R flex Nippon 105 to then S flex Nippon 105 10 years later if you've improved a little.

Unless you went from 85g R flex graphite to PX 6.0, it's not a huge deal. Shaft flex means much less than type of EI profile used. I don't notice much difference between S and X flex for many shafts, but a very stiff tip shaft will feel much different than a weaker tip, regardless of flex rating.

As far as lie goes: You'd need to look up the specs of both irons. For example... I am std lie in the Taylormade P790s, but I'd be -1* on M3 irons because they are already about .5* upright in stock condition. It could just be that G5's were flatter in stock form than these are.

Edited by Z1ggy16, 11 January 2018 - 01:49 PM.

WITB
D - LTD Pro HZRDUS Yellow 65X
3w - LTD Kai'li 70X
3h - 818H2 ProForce V2 85X
Irons - Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
GW - TBD
SW - MD4 54/12W S200
LW - Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10 AWT Wedge
P - TP Black Copper Juno
Chrome Soft X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

3

#4 franklin15

franklin15

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478032
  • Joined: 08/08/2017
  • Location:Ohio
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

10 years is a long time for a swing change to happen. also upright lies effectively play shorter, which may be why your new fitting is longer.

4

#5 Hambone1

Hambone1

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142377
  • Joined: 10/13/2011
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:12 PM

12 years, you have changed for better or worse.

You would also hope the fitters methodology and technological capabilities have advanced a little. I would put more stock in your 2017 fitting than your 2005 fitting.

Titleist TS3, Fujikura Pro 53K XX
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Atmos Blue 6X
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Atmos Blue 7X
PXG 0311T 4-PW, KBS Tour V X
Miura 50/55/Fourteen 60
Ping Vault Oslo

5

#6 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 11 January 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

Depends on shaft weight and EI profile of that first shaft. For example, it's not a huge deal to do from R flex Nippon 105 to then S flex Nippon 105 10 years later if you've improved a little.

Unless you went from 85g R flex graphite to PX 6.0, it's not a huge deal. Shaft flex means much less than type of EI profile used. I don't notice much difference between S and X flex for many shafts, but a very stiff tip shaft will feel much different than a weaker tip, regardless of flex rating.

As far as lie goes: You'd need to look up the specs of both irons. For example... I am std lie in the Taylormade P790s, but I'd be -1* on M3 irons because they are already about .5* upright in stock condition. It could just be that G5's were flatter in stock form than these are.

Not being fitted for 12 years I'm not sure about all that shaft information.  My Ping G5s have a Ping branded True Temper.  Nothing else about it.  I'm guessing shaft technology has come a long ways in 12 years.

6

#7 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

View PostHambone1, on 11 January 2018 - 02:12 PM, said:

12 years, you have changed for better or worse.

You would also hope the fitters methodology and technological capabilities have advanced a little. I would put more stock in your 2017 fitting than your 2005 fitting.

Yeah I also keeps irons a long time so I may pull the trigger on these.  Just not quick to spend $630  granted in the world of triathlons that just a race entry fee.  lol.

7

#8 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2099

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

View Post-professor-, on 11 January 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 11 January 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

Depends on shaft weight and EI profile of that first shaft. For example, it's not a huge deal to do from R flex Nippon 105 to then S flex Nippon 105 10 years later if you've improved a little.

Unless you went from 85g R flex graphite to PX 6.0, it's not a huge deal. Shaft flex means much less than type of EI profile used. I don't notice much difference between S and X flex for many shafts, but a very stiff tip shaft will feel much different than a weaker tip, regardless of flex rating.

As far as lie goes: You'd need to look up the specs of both irons. For example... I am std lie in the Taylormade P790s, but I'd be -1* on M3 irons because they are already about .5* upright in stock condition. It could just be that G5's were flatter in stock form than these are.

Not being fitted for 12 years I'm not sure about all that shaft information.  My Ping G5s have a Ping branded True Temper.  Nothing else about it.  I'm guessing shaft technology has come a long ways in 12 years.
The OEM shafts that come in the old SGI/GI clubs aren't great. They are usually very light, somewhat unstable in the tip shafts. It's meant to help golfers launch the ball who have low to moderate swing speeds.

If you've made big changes to the swing.... gotten more speed, etc then I wouldn't doubt you could very well be in PX 6.0 now.
WITB
D - LTD Pro HZRDUS Yellow 65X
3w - LTD Kai'li 70X
3h - 818H2 ProForce V2 85X
Irons - Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
GW - TBD
SW - MD4 54/12W S200
LW - Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10 AWT Wedge
P - TP Black Copper Juno
Chrome Soft X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

8

#9 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Indianapolis
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

I don’t know who told you they can’t be bent? It’s only 2 degrees and should be ok to be bent. If you want to save coin get them reshafted. Those are arguable pings best irons
Cobra King f7+ 10.5* diamana whteboard
Cobra f6 baffler 16* matrix code 8
TEE ex9 20*
Ping i10 4-U zz65
Cleveland rtx-3 56 & 60
Odyssey white hot 2 ball

9

#10 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 11 January 2018 - 02:46 PM, said:

View Post-professor-, on 11 January 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 11 January 2018 - 01:48 PM, said:

Depends on shaft weight and EI profile of that first shaft. For example, it's not a huge deal to do from R flex Nippon 105 to then S flex Nippon 105 10 years later if you've improved a little.

Unless you went from 85g R flex graphite to PX 6.0, it's not a huge deal. Shaft flex means much less than type of EI profile used. I don't notice much difference between S and X flex for many shafts, but a very stiff tip shaft will feel much different than a weaker tip, regardless of flex rating.

As far as lie goes: You'd need to look up the specs of both irons. For example... I am std lie in the Taylormade P790s, but I'd be -1* on M3 irons because they are already about .5* upright in stock condition. It could just be that G5's were flatter in stock form than these are.

Not being fitted for 12 years I'm not sure about all that shaft information.  My Ping G5s have a Ping branded True Temper.  Nothing else about it.  I'm guessing shaft technology has come a long ways in 12 years.
The OEM shafts that come in the old SGI/GI clubs aren't great. They are usually very light, somewhat unstable in the tip shafts. It's meant to help golfers launch the ball who have low to moderate swing speeds.

If you've made big changes to the swing.... gotten more speed, etc then I wouldn't doubt you could very well be in PX 6.0 now.

I wish I could remember the exact terminology he used to describe the change in shaft. I have 84mph swing speed.  My original Pings launched the ball too high.    The change in shaft certainly lowered the trajectory.  My ball speed was much much higher with new clubs.  I believe he said 12mph faster but don't quote me on that. I'm a numbers person but he was through a bunch of stuff at me.  He did good job explaining it all but just overwhelming.  I'm a 12-14 handicap.  I just want to play golf.  lol


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 uramnich

uramnich

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314795
  • Joined: 05/13/2014
  • Location:Minneapolis MN
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

Most everyone’s body changes over a 12 year span... especially for a golfer when it comes to flexibility, posture, etc all of which impact the swing.


Titleist 915 - D2 - 9.5*- AD-DI 6S
Taylormade M2 - 19* - AD-DI 85S
Taylormade P790 - 4-PW - Tour AD & Modus 120
Titleist SW4 - 50*, 54*, 58*
Callaway PM Grind - 60*
SeeMore PTM 1 - SS Mid 2.0 CounterCore

11

#12 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:33 PM

View Posturamnich, on 11 January 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Most everyone's body changes over a 12 year span... especially for a golfer when it comes to flexibility, posture, etc all of which impact the swing.

My body should be different.  2005 I was bigger muscle wise.  Also 200 pounds.  Now I'm a triathlete at 190 pounds.

12

#13 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1433

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

I don't think 2* is a big change, and there have been changes in the color codes at Ping over the years.  As to the price, one of the interesting things about Ping is that you don't need to shop around; the price is the price is the price, whether you are at a big box store, or from a club pro, or anywhere else.  The only way to save money is to go one model back, which would be the G30s.

As to the G5's, IMO bending them and/or reshafting them is not a good investment.  The i5's were among the best irons that Ping or anybody else has ever made, but the G5's had a serious hook bias that was addressed in the G10's by moving significant weight out to the toe, and the G line has stayed that way ever since.  Your feeling that you had to work harder to hit the G5s is understandable.

One way to think about the money is that if you keep this next set for a similar amount of time, on a prorated basis you won't have spent too much at all.  Easy for me to say, but there have been 6 generations and a LOT of technology added/changed by Ping since the G5's.

13

#14 Maximilian

Maximilian

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
  • Joined: 04/25/2010
  • Location:Stockholm, Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 545

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Sorry for being that guy, but the itch is too strong in me. It's the year of 2018 people! 13 years after 2005. :-)

I would just go with whatever the latest fitter recommended, which obviously seemed to work, and not worry about what someone thought about your swing and posture 13 years ago with at least 13 year old fitting procedures.

14

#15 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

View Postbluedot, on 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

I don't think 2* is a big change, and there have been changes in the color codes at Ping over the years.  As to the price, one of the interesting things about Ping is that you don't need to shop around; the price is the price is the price, whether you are at a big box store, or from a club pro, or anywhere else.  The only way to save money is to go one model back, which would be the G30s.

As to the G5's, IMO bending them and/or reshafting them is not a good investment.  The i5's were among the best irons that Ping or anybody else has ever made, but the G5's had a serious hook bias that was addressed in the G10's by moving significant weight out to the toe, and the G line has stayed that way ever since.  Your feeling that you had to work harder to hit the G5s is understandable.

One way to think about the money is that if you keep this next set for a similar amount of time, on a prorated basis you won't have spent too much at all.  Easy for me to say, but there have been 6 generations and a LOT of technology added/changed by Ping since the G5's.

You are not lying about the draw bias.  LOL.  My G5 dispersion during fitting was all left.  Same swing with G and right down the pipe.


15

#16 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1433

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

View Post-professor-, on 11 January 2018 - 05:29 PM, said:

View Postbluedot, on 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

I don't think 2* is a big change, and there have been changes in the color codes at Ping over the years.  As to the price, one of the interesting things about Ping is that you don't need to shop around; the price is the price is the price, whether you are at a big box store, or from a club pro, or anywhere else.  The only way to save money is to go one model back, which would be the G30s.

As to the G5's, IMO bending them and/or reshafting them is not a good investment.  The i5's were among the best irons that Ping or anybody else has ever made, but the G5's had a serious hook bias that was addressed in the G10's by moving significant weight out to the toe, and the G line has stayed that way ever since.  Your feeling that you had to work harder to hit the G5s is understandable.

One way to think about the money is that if you keep this next set for a similar amount of time, on a prorated basis you won't have spent too much at all.  Easy for me to say, but there have been 6 generations and a LOT of technology added/changed by Ping since the G5's.

You are not lying about the draw bias.  LOL.  My G5 dispersion during fitting was all left.  Same swing with G and right down the pipe.

I played i5's for a long, long time; only got rid of them when I went to an R flex graphite shaft in the G30 irons, and the i5's are still my backup set.  But at one point, I got some G5 long irons, with the idea of a mixed set that would be the best of all worlds, right?  Didn't work; I play a draw anyway, and I hooked the G5's off the world!

16

#17 ncglfr

ncglfr

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151739
  • Joined: 12/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

View Post-professor-, on 10 January 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Fitted in 2005 for Ping G5 irons....Blue Dot (+1 degree upright), regular flex/length steel shaft.   Was fitted earlier this week and now they have me at Red Dot (-1 degree flat) and shaft +.25.  They also used a Project X 6.0 stiff shaft.  Pretty much everything in a club came out different than old fitting (old fitting was at same place but no Trackman that long ago).

I hit a bunch of brands but loved G irons. After fitting I hit my old G5 it felt like a lot of effort compared to new clubs.  Not sure if that makes sense.  New irons, regardless of brand, felt so much easier to swing.   I was hoping to just get my G5's refitted to save money. I didn't think my lie would change that much.  I was told they can't be bent that far (two degree change in lie).  

My old G5's had a draw tendency of about 5-6 yards (G5's are known to be bias to a draw).  The G's had dispersion of about 1 foot.  The G's were 10 yards further than G5's.  I thought it was due to stronger lofts but it really came down to faster ball speed and trajectory of ball flight.  Trackman sure gives you a bunch of different feedback.  It was awesome to see hard data on the difference between clubs.  

Question:   Has anybody else experienced such a change in fitting and how did it impact your play?  

Cost: 6-UW, SW is $550ish and 5-UW, SW is $630ish.  Appears to be very well priced. I was given $130 in gift cards for new clubs and can sell my old set for about $100 so that's good.  Thoughts on this price?  

I golf about 20+ rounds during the season. I think I had 28 rounds last year.  

Side note:  2nd club choice would have been Mizuno.  Those were amazing club.  Same dispersion pattern as Ping G's (1 foot) but shorter distance (same as my G5).   I couldn't hit Callaways for s***.  Even tried the new Rouge.  Nope.

Lies (and likely lengths) have changed some over the years.  What was 1* up could likely now be 1* flat.  I haven't checked the specific models you're looking at, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.  The biggest difference is going from reg flex to a pretty strong 6.0 stiff flex.  But if you felt comfortable hitting the shaft, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Talking about numbers, increased distance, etc...you mention hitting it further and attributing it more to increased ball speed and not the stronger loft.  But, the stronger the loft, the higher the ball speed.  You're putting more of a direct blow into the golf ball with a stronger loft, and more of a glancing blow with a weaker loft.  So..stronger the loft, higher the ball speed.

17

#18 -professor-

-professor-

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480192
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

View Postncglfr, on 11 January 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

View Post-professor-, on 10 January 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Fitted in 2005 for Ping G5 irons....Blue Dot (+1 degree upright), regular flex/length steel shaft.   Was fitted earlier this week and now they have me at Red Dot (-1 degree flat) and shaft +.25.  They also used a Project X 6.0 stiff shaft.  Pretty much everything in a club came out different than old fitting (old fitting was at same place but no Trackman that long ago).

I hit a bunch of brands but loved G irons. After fitting I hit my old G5 it felt like a lot of effort compared to new clubs.  Not sure if that makes sense.  New irons, regardless of brand, felt so much easier to swing.   I was hoping to just get my G5's refitted to save money. I didn't think my lie would change that much.  I was told they can't be bent that far (two degree change in lie).  

My old G5's had a draw tendency of about 5-6 yards (G5's are known to be bias to a draw).  The G's had dispersion of about 1 foot.  The G's were 10 yards further than G5's.  I thought it was due to stronger lofts but it really came down to faster ball speed and trajectory of ball flight.  Trackman sure gives you a bunch of different feedback.  It was awesome to see hard data on the difference between clubs.  

Question:   Has anybody else experienced such a change in fitting and how did it impact your play?  

Cost: 6-UW, SW is $550ish and 5-UW, SW is $630ish.  Appears to be very well priced. I was given $130 in gift cards for new clubs and can sell my old set for about $100 so that's good.  Thoughts on this price?  

I golf about 20+ rounds during the season. I think I had 28 rounds last year.  

Side note:  2nd club choice would have been Mizuno.  Those were amazing club.  Same dispersion pattern as Ping G's (1 foot) but shorter distance (same as my G5).   I couldn't hit Callaways for s***.  Even tried the new Rouge.  Nope.

Lies (and likely lengths) have changed some over the years.  What was 1* up could likely now be 1* flat.  I haven't checked the specific models you're looking at, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.  The biggest difference is going from reg flex to a pretty strong 6.0 stiff flex.  But if you felt comfortable hitting the shaft, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Talking about numbers, increased distance, etc...you mention hitting it further and attributing it more to increased ball speed and not the stronger loft.  But, the stronger the loft, the higher the ball speed.  You're putting more of a direct blow into the golf ball with a stronger loft, and more of a glancing blow with a weaker loft.  So..stronger the loft, higher the ball speed.

I just compared lies from the G5 to new G series.  The G series are all 'flatter' by a range of .5 to .2.   Example, the G5 7-iron is 62.28 while the G 7-iron is 62 (black dot).  I was fitted at 63.28 (+1 upright) which is blue dot.  That would be blue dot today as well.  Now I'm fitted at 61.28 (-1 flat) which is red dot.  Shafts are .25 longer on new model yet I'm being fitted for additional +.25.  

All so confusing.  I just want clubs. lol.  I will lay my trust in the fitter because I can't follow everything, especially the details in the shaft.  He had me swing a lot of shafts and settled on the Project X 6.0.  I had no idea which shaft I was hitting, he'd give me one I'd swing for a bit and give him feed back on my thoughts and results from Trackman.  

After this I'm not going to change clubs for awhile.  lol

18

#19 mikewohlwend

mikewohlwend

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55293
  • Joined: 05/07/2008
  • Location:Carrollton, OH
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:26 PM

I have went from +1", 2° up with a regular flex to +1", 2° flat in a stiff flex. That was over a 9 year span

19

#20 ncglfr

ncglfr

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151739
  • Joined: 12/20/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

View Post-professor-, on 12 January 2018 - 01:13 PM, said:

View Postncglfr, on 11 January 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

View Post-professor-, on 10 January 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

Fitted in 2005 for Ping G5 irons....Blue Dot (+1 degree upright), regular flex/length steel shaft.   Was fitted earlier this week and now they have me at Red Dot (-1 degree flat) and shaft +.25.  They also used a Project X 6.0 stiff shaft.  Pretty much everything in a club came out different than old fitting (old fitting was at same place but no Trackman that long ago).

I hit a bunch of brands but loved G irons. After fitting I hit my old G5 it felt like a lot of effort compared to new clubs.  Not sure if that makes sense.  New irons, regardless of brand, felt so much easier to swing.   I was hoping to just get my G5's refitted to save money. I didn't think my lie would change that much.  I was told they can't be bent that far (two degree change in lie).  

My old G5's had a draw tendency of about 5-6 yards (G5's are known to be bias to a draw).  The G's had dispersion of about 1 foot.  The G's were 10 yards further than G5's.  I thought it was due to stronger lofts but it really came down to faster ball speed and trajectory of ball flight.  Trackman sure gives you a bunch of different feedback.  It was awesome to see hard data on the difference between clubs.  

Question:   Has anybody else experienced such a change in fitting and how did it impact your play?  

Cost: 6-UW, SW is $550ish and 5-UW, SW is $630ish.  Appears to be very well priced. I was given $130 in gift cards for new clubs and can sell my old set for about $100 so that's good.  Thoughts on this price?  

I golf about 20+ rounds during the season. I think I had 28 rounds last year.  

Side note:  2nd club choice would have been Mizuno.  Those were amazing club.  Same dispersion pattern as Ping G's (1 foot) but shorter distance (same as my G5).   I couldn't hit Callaways for s***.  Even tried the new Rouge.  Nope.

Lies (and likely lengths) have changed some over the years.  What was 1* up could likely now be 1* flat.  I haven't checked the specific models you're looking at, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.  The biggest difference is going from reg flex to a pretty strong 6.0 stiff flex.  But if you felt comfortable hitting the shaft, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Talking about numbers, increased distance, etc...you mention hitting it further and attributing it more to increased ball speed and not the stronger loft.  But, the stronger the loft, the higher the ball speed.  You're putting more of a direct blow into the golf ball with a stronger loft, and more of a glancing blow with a weaker loft.  So..stronger the loft, higher the ball speed.

I just compared lies from the G5 to new G series.  The G series are all 'flatter' by a range of .5 to .2.   Example, the G5 7-iron is 62.28 while the G 7-iron is 62 (black dot).  I was fitted at 63.28 (+1 upright) which is blue dot.  That would be blue dot today as well.  Now I'm fitted at 61.28 (-1 flat) which is red dot.  Shafts are .25 longer on new model yet I'm being fitted for additional +.25.  

All so confusing.  I just want clubs. lol.  I will lay my trust in the fitter because I can't follow everything, especially the details in the shaft.  He had me swing a lot of shafts and settled on the Project X 6.0.  I had no idea which shaft I was hitting, he'd give me one I'd swing for a bit and give him feed back on my thoughts and results from Trackman.  

After this I'm not going to change clubs for awhile.  lol

It sounds like you're in a good place from the fitting so just go with it.  Honestly, the difference between the fits of the new versus old aren't that different (longer length cancels out the flatter lie).

Ummm...obviously before this you also hadn't changed clubs for awhile.  Haha.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors