Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf trip -- Palm Springs versus RTJ Trail

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 e-man

e-man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47555
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Hey guys.  My foursome is planning a golf trip for the first week of May (Thursday to Sunday).  Our last trip (about 10 years ago) was to Palm Springs and we had a great time.  We are considering going back to Palm Springs but we are also looking at other options, one of which is the RTJ Trail (none of us have ever been).  

Any thoughts on the pros/cons in terms of courses, ability to play 36 a day, weather, driving, dining, nighttime entertainment, etc.?  Thanks in advance.

e

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 abergervt

abergervt

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251450
  • Handicap:2
  • Ebay ID:willistonhockey
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Would go with RTJ if you want various layouts and designs, however weather in PSP is a virtually a lock of 80-95 vs rtj could be rainy. Night life on the RTJ depends by the city and some courses with the marriotts are a good ride from downtown in the cities they are near by. I would lean towards RTJ price is right and a great collection of courses and par 3's!

#3 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Weather will be heating up in Palm Springs by May, but not unbearable.  I haven't hit the RTJ trail and it is on my list.

#4 gotaholen1

gotaholen1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 377778
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:gotaholen1
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

I have done both.  How old is your group?  I know with my group we have some people that can hit it hard, and it is a pain to get everyone organized for a lot of travel.  In Palm Springs you can stay around the PGA West/La Quinta area and just take shuttles/uber which is a big plus.

I love that bar at PGA west.  Such a solid place to hang out.

#5 e-man

e-man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47555
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

We're all about 50 and at least a few of us can still hit it hard.  I'm leaning towards PS at this point.

#6 DDG61

DDG61

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480246
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

Both as well, courses are great at RTJ but to much driving required for a four plus day trip.

Our group (16) wouldn’t return due to this; with so many other options (Palm Dessert being one of them).

We appreciate being able to stay in the same house for the duration of the trip and usually have several days of 36.

May not be an issue for others.

#7 zenman4711

zenman4711

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5169
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

Palm Springs is safer weather-wise regarding rain and easier to navigate to courses. There's some courses about 30 minutes outside of PS proper as well that you should play if you decide on PS. Tukwet Canyon has two great courses-they used to hold a round of Senior Q school and they still host a Symettra Tour event as well. Oak Canyon, right across the freeway used to hold a stage of Q-school when the PGA still had that. The night life in PS has picked up a bit as that area has/is experiencing a revitalization.

#8 North Texas

North Texas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
GolfWRX Likes : 2026

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

We're (3 couples) are also looking at RTJ Trail. Never been there but have been to Palm Springs twice where we stayed in a house and we all loved that part as well as the courses themselves. So we too are a little leery about the driving back and forth between courses. We are also looking at Hot Springs, Ark where you can also stay in a house and not as much driving as you would have at RTJ.

#9 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:09 AM

View Postzenman4711, on 13 January 2018 - 01:32 PM, said:

Palm Springs is safer weather-wise regarding rain and easier to navigate to courses. There's some courses about 30 minutes outside of PS proper as well that you should play if you decide on PS. Tukwet Canyon has two great courses-they used to hold a round of Senior Q school and they still host a Symettra Tour event as well. Oak Canyon, right across the freeway used to hold a stage of Q-school when the PGA still had that. The night life in PS has picked up a bit as that area has/is experiencing a revitalization.
The course across the highway is Oak Valley.

BTW I wouldn't say you have to play the Beaumont courses at all, IMO it would be a waste of a drive considering so many solid options in La Quinta/Palm Desert/Palm Springs itself.

Edited by schley, 15 January 2018 - 09:10 AM.

#10 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 46027

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I live in RTJ country and agree that while the cost would likely be lower it is more of a hassle
getting around to the courses you might want to play...plus the weather is unpredictable more
that 3-5 days out.

No weather worries at all in Palm Springs area as far as precip goes. It will already be hot by
May as well. Generally the hotter the temps get the lower the prices go, lol.

Of course, I may be trying to keep the crowds out of Alabama.............just kidding. :)

Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22570

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Have played both and either option is going to be a great time.  

Pros to Palm Springs - pretty much guaranteed perfect weather and not a lot of other players so pace will make it easy to play 36.  Great restaurants/night life.
Cons - depending on the number of rounds played, you might tire of desert golf, although I've never had that.

Pros to the Trail - wide variety of course in perfect condition.
Cons - potential driving between courses and night life is less abundant.

If you're going in early May, Palm Springs is pretty much a guarantee win.

#12 txeconomist

txeconomist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80753
  • Handicap:1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

View PostDavePelz4, on 17 January 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Pros to Palm Springs - pretty much guaranteed perfect weather and not a lot of other players so pace will make it easy to play 36.  Great restaurants/night life.
Cons - depending on the number of rounds played, you might tire of desert golf, although I've never had that.

Im curious. You say the courses will be in perfect condition on the RTJ trail...you really think that they would be in as good or better condition than Palm Springs? Never been to either but would be surprised if that was the case.

#13 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 22,130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
  • Handicap:10.0
GolfWRX Likes : 22570

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

View Posttxeconomist, on 17 January 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

View PostDavePelz4, on 17 January 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

Im curious. You say the courses will be in perfect condition on the RTJ trail...you really think that they would be in as good or better condition than Palm Springs? Never been to either but would be surprised if that was the case.

Weather is the gating factor for the Trail.  We've played it in January a couple of years ago.  The temps then were in the 60's, no extreme precipitation and the conditions were awesome.  We also played it in May, July and September, all with normal rain amounts and the conditions were perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors