Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help Me Plan My Week-long Golfing Trip To Scotland 2019

32 replies to this topic

#31 Gem

Gem

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19868
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:23 PM

As others have said, you would need to try and break it down into areas and I would look at these courses myself having played them a few times each.
If in Ayrshire I would play Turnberry, Western Gailes, Dundonald I enjoyed but Prestwick is fun and a bit different.

As mentioned in above post,  Dornoch, Moray Old and Nairn with possibly Castle Stuart if in Inverness.

Old Course, Kingsbarnes, Jubilee and The New if in StAndrews.
Scotscraig and Ladybank are not far away and worth a visit if looking to add another course.

Gullane #1, Muirfield and North Berwick are all very good and would be my pick down there. You could travel to those from StAndrews in under 2hrs but careful about rush hour traffic times.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 2 58 KBS 610 S+

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 tbaygolf

tbaygolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79960
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostEmperorPenguin, on 09 January 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

OK, boys, I decided to splurge.  Next year I turn 50, and after twenty-three years of saving, investing and planning I have sustained a  high net worth.  I realize that I can't take it with me when I die, so I decided to host three of my best friends for a week-long trip to Scotland during the US Open week of 2019, where it will be played at Pebble Beach.  While the world's best golfers will duke it out at the Links, my buddies and I will duke it out in Scotland for a week of fun.
I invited each of them in private and they were all excited of the opportunity.  The terms are simple: I pay for plane tickets, accommodations, greens fees and caddie fees; they just pay for food and drink for everyone in the group, including myself, so I eat for free. They all said yes, but at the beginning of next year when I book the plane tickets I will formally ask each one for final confirmation, given that lives change over time.
Here is where I need your help.  I only have a vague idea of what to do.  I have never been to Scotland before, so I am a newbie of visiting the home of golf.  I heard that you can book the Old Course a year in advance, and most people do.  That is why I am starting this thread so far in advance.  I rely on your wisdom and knowledge of what to do, and any ideas in this thread will be greatly appreciated and considered.
The first issue is deciding on which courses to play.  The plan is to play only one course per day; I don't believe in jamming in as many courses as possible, playing 36 holes each day.  This will be about a week-long trip, so the plan for now is to play at least seven courses, maybe eight or nine if I am convinced.  Certainly The Old Course at St. Andrews I want to play.  The other courses I want to play, given what I've read here so far, will be Kingsbarns, Dornoch, Kingsbarns, Prestwick, Turnberry, Cruden Bay, and maybe take a short flight and play Royal County Down.  If you only had a week or so to play in Scotland, and only one course per day, which seven or eight courses would you play?
The major considerations of this magnificent trip are logistics and accommodations.  I understand that there are businesses that can arrange all that for a fee, but I wonder if those guys tend to gouge.  Is is worthwhile to engage these businesses?  I think it will be a good idea to select a central location so we will not travel far to each course.  Maybe Edinburgh?
The final and most important consideration is budget.  The figure I am willing to spend on this trip is $40,000, which I reckon should be more than enough--will it be?  Remember that my hosts will cover food and drink, and I pay for everything else.  I have never been to a B&B before, so I would prefer a good hotel for us all.  The plan for now is to play golf in the late morning or early afternoon, have a few drinks, and watch the US Open at Pebble Beach either at the local pub or back in our room.  I am looking for a three-bedroom suite for us to stay in.
So let's start this thread with some good ideas and recommendations.  Thank you in advance for your recommendations and ideas.

Royal Dornoch is a must!!!! My favorite all time course and I have played some good ones.
Cruden Bay is very scenic and a great course.
Prestwick is where it all began!!!
Royal Troon is great also.
I really liked North Berwick
Tain was very fun also.

Have Fun!!!!!!

#33 Hepster

Hepster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490964
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Billyhep
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

For that kind of cash you will certainly enjoy yourself and the golf, I stay nearer the west coast and Turnberrry is a must, all other courses that have been mentioned are great but I would also play the Kings course Gleneagles as Iíve not seen it mentioned, any way have a good one and if you guys are near Hamilton golf club give me a shout Iíll get you on⛳️

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors