Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What's your food and beverage Minimum at your club?

37 replies to this topic

#31 gdu

gdu

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67270
  • Handicap:14.0
  • Ebay ID:tcugdu
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:46 PM

$0 minimum.

PING G400 Alta CB
Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya recoil ES
Callaway Big Bertha OS 3, 4 UST Mamiya recoil ES
PING G400 5-LW True Temper XP 95

Toulon Garage Columbus
Sun Mountain C130

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

dtm6582, on 09 January 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

F&B minimums.  Chicken and egg.  At every club I've eaten at the food has been pretty much meh, terrible if you adjust for the cost (including a few upper-end though no high end places).  There's no way the restaurants would stay in business if there were not minimums forcing people to use them.  Then again, if there were no minimums the kitchen might have more pressure to improve and attract customers...  Hence, what comes first?  Members not using the restaurant forcing the creation of F&B mins.  Or the restaurant delivering such a poor product/value that the members are not interested in using the restaurant to begin with?

In many parts of the US now the foodie culture has really taken off.  I can't imagine that's helping with the CC restaurant scene.

That said, my last club mins were $200/6months for Jr. Members, $400/6months for full members.  That did include alcohol.  But honestly, we never met our mins. because the restaurant was just not good (and I'm not a big 2PM drinker).  The menu was good mind you, everything 'looked' good on paper.  But when it came out..45 minutes later..it was mediocre at best.  I decided after about 3 meals that I would just take the bath and we could go eat somewhere decent after playing.
Yeah, the food at your former club is not great for sure but it was fine.  I have to say that food at my clubs is quite good and extremely inexpensive for what you get.  One of them is more typical bar food with an occasional Thai flair (our chef is married to a Thai lady and she picks the specials most days) and is usually excellent for what it is.  At the other one the food is more on the bistro end of the spectrum and they have some excellent salads that I'd normally pay a lot more for elsewhere.  FWIW, I'm almost 100% sure we lose money on F&B at both places.

#33 medicoreMAgolfer

medicoreMAgolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425552
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

raynorfan1, on 09 January 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

Sixcat, on 09 January 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

My club offers golf and absolutely nothing else.

Absolutely nothing else? Pro shop? Locker room? Cooler full of beer?

We actually do have a club in my town that does offer only golf (no clubhouse/pro shop, no carts, no nothing except the golf course and a port-a-potty next to the first tee) and - while it is fully subscribed with a long waiting list - many members would like something more from an amenity perspective.

But the "100% golf only" model wouldn't quite work for me.

Your description of the club in your town is spot on to one on my town, although they do provide 1) scorecards, 2) Pencils, 3) Lightning shelters, 4) a couple of (dumpy) restrooms, 5) an area that resembles a range, and 6) a putting green (which is about the furthest distance from the first tee on the entire course).  I should also add they have a couple of picnic tables

While many members want some amenities, I know many more who donít want anything to change.

Edited by medicoreMAgolfer, 09 January 2018 - 07:26 PM.

#34 cherokee8215

cherokee8215

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72469
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

$100 per month for 12 months, beverages not included. Our dining rooms are way underutilized even with the minimum.

#35 AuldPLO Swiss Golftrotter

AuldPLO Swiss Golftrotter

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482150
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:46 AM

F&B minimum of euros 720 ($860) per year including alcohol.
While F&B minimum seems quite common in the US, I don't think it's the same here in Europe, except at least in Switzerland and in some french clubs located close to my home country, like my club set at just 200 meters of the border with Switzerland.

From the breathtaking cliffs of Cape Kidnappers in New Zealand to the idyllic coastal scenery of Mauritius, from the desolate landscapes of Wolf Creek in the US to the legend of St Andrews in Scotland, find my golfing and photographic journey through nineteen countries on all continents :

Instagram golf gallery : @auld_plo_golftrotter
Flikr golf gallery : http://tinyurl.com/Auldplogolftrotter (by course - newest first)
Flikr golf gallery : http://tinyurl.com/a...plogolftrotter2 (by country)

#36 stevoleB

stevoleB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 490664
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

0$, our annual dues top rate is $1580 for the year. (only open 7 months).

We tried to have a F&B min. but being a not for profit, member owned club, they voted against it of course.

#37 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 945

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

F&B minimums are actually a desirable feature for many clubs, here's why:

Take it as a base assumption that your golfing membership wants at least "Grill Room" level food, though not necessarily fine dining, and that your clubhouse is fully built and paid for (so there's no incremental rent to pay).

From a fixed labor cost perspective, you've got (including a 25% benefits load):
Chef - $125,000
F&B Manager - $75,000
Kitchen staff - 10 @ $37,500 = $375,000
Front of House Staff - 5 @ $37,500 = $187,500
Total = $762,500; and this is sort of bare minimum staffing. The average club probably has 2x this staff.

But the real problem comes in managing your food inventory turns. Figure your average ticket is $25, with food cost of 40%, ($10) and that there are 5 "sets" of ingredients on your menu, with an average of 5 days' spoilage. On a "busy" day, you're going to serve maybe 60 meals, so you need to carry inventory of maybe 200 "sets" of entrees (you need to manage for the unpredictability of what people will order, allowing for the fact that things will "sell out" from time to time). So you're carrying inventory of $2,000, and 20% of it ($400) would spoil every day if it wasn't sold. If you manage things perfectly, you sell 40 meals a day, which is about 14,000 meals per year for gross revenue of $350,000, with a cost of $140,000. And you didn't throw anything away.

In this world, your F&B Ops are losing ~$550,000 per year.

If nobody ever eats, you're going to lose ~$887,700 per year (labor cost plus food inventory cost).

A typical "golf" club has ~300 members. So dues can be either $10,000 plus a $1,000 food minimum, with ~$1,800 of the $10,000 going to subsidize F&B; or dues can be $11,125 with no minimum and ~$3,000 of the dues load going to subsidize F&B. Effectively, you're going to be paying for the food, whether you eat it or not. You might as well have the option to eat it.

This starts with the base assumption that members want a restaurant/grill in their club. I tend to agree that if members were fully exposed to the costs of the operations, they often wouldn't include them (if you said in the case above, "a golf membership is $8,200, and there's an optional grill add-on dues of $1,800..." nobody would "join" the grill).

#38 dpark

dpark

The Home of Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3344
GolfWRX Likes : 292

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:36 AM

DonatelloNobodie, on 09 January 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

I always wonder about clubs that force members to eat in the restaurant.  If the food was good, there'd be no need.  If is isn't, why have a restaurant?   A good restaurant should pay for itself and not need forced support.

It isn't so much "forcing" people to eat in the restaurant as knowing that there is consistent cash flow so that they can be properly staffed at all times and have sufficient food on hand. I don't see it as a forced support as a guaranteed "floor". At my current club, I would estimate that 80% of members spend above the F&B minimum which isn't that much.

Current club: $135 quarter, and does not include alcohol. They also stagger the "quarter" based on last name: A-F members quarter ends in Jan/Apr/Jul/Oct, G-N ends in Feb/May/Aug/Nov etc. So they also spread out the few folks that come in for that fancy dinner to "use up" their quarterly F&B minimums.

Prior clubs: No minimum. I thought it was a huge plus when I joined (and didn't make that much money) but over time I realized that it was a big problem because patronage was amazingly lumpy. Lots of people ate there in the summer and no one went there in the winter. With no F&B minimums, it was very difficult to properly manage staffing in the winter months, so the club ended up being understaffed in the summer and overstaffed in the winter. They also habitually ran out of food in the winter because they didn't want to overbuy and waste food.
Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E
1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver
Adams 5050 14.5 fairway wood
Adams A2P 20* hybrid
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW