Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2018 Worlds


43 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

I know this is way early, but talking to some around my local tour most seemed to have already booked hotels, flights ect.  How early do you typically book those? Any recommendations on places to stay, this will be our first trip.  Any good sights to see as well while we are there.  Plan on staying after as well to make a family trip out of it. Thanks.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

View Postdarter79, on 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

I know this is way early, but talking to some around my local tour most seemed to have already booked hotels, flights ect.  How early do you typically book those? Any recommendations on places to stay, this will be our first trip.  Any good sights to see as well while we are there.  Plan on staying after as well to make a family trip out of it. Thanks.

We booked the week after worlds last year.  Seemed rediculous, but I checked prices for curiosity and saw that many had already been booked! So we went ahead and booked since my son had gained burgundy status in Summer tour.  I imagine lots of people book early banking on qualifying or "just in case"...you can always Cancel so nothing to lose.  Not much else to see outside of the direct Pinehurst/southern pines area.

2

#3 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

Anyone ever stayed at Mid Pines or Pine Needles (for worlds or otherwise)?  We're booked at The Manor at Pinehurst Resort this year, but reviews are a little spotty.  I could care less....but wife... My sons age group is at Mid Pines This year, looking at that as another option.  Always nice to stay and play at same place.

3

#4 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:34 AM

View Posthangontight, on 20 January 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Anyone ever stayed at Mid Pines or Pine Needles (for worlds or otherwise)?  We're booked at The Manor at Pinehurst Resort this year, but reviews are a little spotty.  I could care less....but wife... My sons age group is at Mid Pines This year, looking at that as another option.  Always nice to stay and play at same place.

Haven't been but just read some reviews.  Pretty consistently they said it's an older hotel (with all the pitfalls you'd expect) but the service was outstanding.  For me, I'd pay extra for the type of service people are writing about and would stay there without a doubt.

4

#5 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

View Postleezer99, on 21 January 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 20 January 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Anyone ever stayed at Mid Pines or Pine Needles (for worlds or otherwise)?  We're booked at The Manor at Pinehurst Resort this year, but reviews are a little spotty.  I could care less....but wife... My sons age group is at Mid Pines This year, looking at that as another option.  Always nice to stay and play at same place.

Haven't been but just read some reviews.  Pretty consistently they said it's an older hotel (with all the pitfalls you'd expect) but the service was outstanding.  For me, I'd pay extra for the type of service people are writing about and would stay there without a doubt.

Yes, I will call to see if they have any openings. More I think about it , it if is so nice to stay where you play (Pine Needles is just across the street from MP - and they have the pool!).  What sold me to Manor was they have a few double room suites- can put kids down in own room (connected) and not have to go to bed myself at 8:00!  Breakfast buffet and all Pinehurst Resort amendities also included at Manor.


5

#6 jeffbgky

jeffbgky

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498642
  • Joined: 04/10/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

First post to the board.  I appreciate reading everyone's experience with their kids in junior golf.

My daughter who is 10 just started playing in US Kids and Ky Jr Pga events last fall. She loves it.  I had a question regarding the USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  Can you get into that event with only Orange status or do you need burgundy?

Thanks for any help on this as I have seen orange will allow you to register for most of the regional sites but I couldn't tell for sure for the world event.

6

#7 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2098

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

First post to the board.  I appreciate reading everyone's experience with their kids in junior golf.

My daughter who is 10 just started playing in US Kids and Ky Jr Pga events last fall. She loves it.  I had a question regarding the USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  Can you get into that event with only Orange status or do you need burgundy?

Thanks for any help on this as I have seen orange will allow you to register for most of the regional sites but I couldn't tell for sure for the world event.

I believe that a girl in the 9-10 age group will get in.  Boy's probably will not.

7

#8 kcap

kcap

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
  • Joined: 03/28/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:11 PM

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

First post to the board.  I appreciate reading everyone's experience with their kids in junior golf.

My daughter who is 10 just started playing in US Kids and Ky Jr Pga events last fall. She loves it.  I had a question regarding the USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  Can you get into that event with only Orange status or do you need burgundy?

Thanks for any help on this as I have seen orange will allow you to register for most of the regional sites but I couldn't tell for sure for the world event.

The US Kids world website has a updated list of which age groups and status have got an invite.   The invites are also based on where you got the status.

http://www.uskidsgol...ion-information

8

#9 jeffbgky

jeffbgky

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498642
  • Joined: 04/10/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:15 PM

View Postkcap, on 10 April 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

First post to the board.  I appreciate reading everyone's experience with their kids in junior golf.

My daughter who is 10 just started playing in US Kids and Ky Jr Pga events last fall. She loves it.  I had a question regarding the USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  Can you get into that event with only Orange status or do you need burgundy?

Thanks for any help on this as I have seen orange will allow you to register for most of the regional sites but I couldn't tell for sure for the world event.

The US Kids world website has a updated list of which age groups and status have got an invite.   The invites are also based on where you got the status.

http://www.uskidsgol...ion-information

Thanks for the info.  Looks like to get an invite with orange status, it has be earned from a world or regional event and not the local tour.

9

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2098

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:17 PM

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

View Postkcap, on 10 April 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

First post to the board.  I appreciate reading everyone's experience with their kids in junior golf.

My daughter who is 10 just started playing in US Kids and Ky Jr Pga events last fall. She loves it.  I had a question regarding the USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  Can you get into that event with only Orange status or do you need burgundy?

Thanks for any help on this as I have seen orange will allow you to register for most of the regional sites but I couldn't tell for sure for the world event.

The US Kids world website has a updated list of which age groups and status have got an invite.   The invites are also based on where you got the status.

http://www.uskidsgol...ion-information

Thanks for the info.  Looks like to get an invite with orange status, it has be earned from a world or regional event and not the local tour.

They should eventually let them all in under orange status is not filled.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 jeffbgky

jeffbgky

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 498642
  • Joined: 04/10/2018
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 10 April 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

View Postkcap, on 10 April 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

First post to the board.  I appreciate reading everyone's experience with their kids in junior golf.

My daughter who is 10 just started playing in US Kids and Ky Jr Pga events last fall. She loves it.  I had a question regarding the USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  Can you get into that event with only Orange status or do you need burgundy?

Thanks for any help on this as I have seen orange will allow you to register for most of the regional sites but I couldn't tell for sure for the world event.

The US Kids world website has a updated list of which age groups and status have got an invite.   The invites are also based on where you got the status.

http://www.uskidsgol...ion-information

Thanks for the info.  Looks like to get an invite with orange status, it has be earned from a world or regional event and not the local tour.

They should eventually let them all in under orange status is not filled.

Thanks!  Good to hear.

11

#12 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 10 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 10 April 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

View Postkcap, on 10 April 2018 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postjeffbgky, on 10 April 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

First post to the board.  I appreciate reading everyone's experience with their kids in junior golf.

My daughter who is 10 just started playing in US Kids and Ky Jr Pga events last fall. She loves it.  I had a question regarding the USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  Can you get into that event with only Orange status or do you need burgundy?

Thanks for any help on this as I have seen orange will allow you to register for most of the regional sites but I couldn't tell for sure for the world event.

The US Kids world website has a updated list of which age groups and status have got an invite.   The invites are also based on where you got the status.

http://www.uskidsgol...ion-information

Thanks for the info.  Looks like to get an invite with orange status, it has be earned from a world or regional event and not the local tour.

They should eventually let them all in under orange status is not filled.

Thanks!  Good to hear.

You may also want to see if you can find a room and get it booked now.  As discussed earlier in the thread , they fill quick and there likely isnít much if anything left.  You can always cancel the room if she doesnít make it, but I would try to get something, anything , just in case.  Staying at any of the hotels in PH packed with golf kids is a cool part of the experience.  You wonít get that if you are left with a hotel 40 miles out of town.

Edited by hangontight, 10 April 2018 - 04:17 PM.


12

#13 Noles

Noles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
  • Joined: 08/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 351

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:40 AM

I stayed at the Holly Inn, which is part of the Pinehurst Resort.  We stayed there a few years and loved it each time.  Its a little more expensive than hotels off of the resort but worth it in my opinion. I didn't make reservations way in advance like some others did, but it doesn't hurt since you can always cancel.  Just don't forget!

13

#14 Palmetto Golfer

Palmetto Golfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179906
  • Joined: 05/09/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:19 AM

View Posthangontight, on 20 January 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Anyone ever stayed at Mid Pines or Pine Needles (for worlds or otherwise)?  We're booked at The Manor at Pinehurst Resort this year, but reviews are a little spotty.  I could care less....but wife... My sons age group is at Mid Pines This year, looking at that as another option.  Always nice to stay and play at same place.

My son played Mid Pines front when he was 7 and the back when he was 8.  I think Mid Pines is the toughest course my son has ever played for a couple of reasons.

1) it seemed like every approach shot was either a 5I or a 4H. I wouldn't call my son a short hitter but dang, that distance kicked his butt back then. If you are going to score low here you need to bomb it.

2) The greens were very challenging for him and me. We had a hell of a time reading the greens and I don't mean just reading the break. We had trouble just figuring out if the putt was uphill or downhill!!  The greens are very tricky. Granted, I am a terrible golfer so take my green reading with a grain of salt...but dang...you would think I could tell an uphill putt from a downhill. Pay very close attention to the greens in the practice round.  Try to map them out the best you can.

When my son turned 9, his course was No.1 at Words. It felt like a Caribbean vacation compared to Mid Pines!!!

14

#15 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1798

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

View PostPalmetto Golfer, on 14 April 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 20 January 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

Anyone ever stayed at Mid Pines or Pine Needles (for worlds or otherwise)?  We're booked at The Manor at Pinehurst Resort this year, but reviews are a little spotty.  I could care less....but wife... My sons age group is at Mid Pines This year, looking at that as another option.  Always nice to stay and play at same place.

My son played Mid Pines front when he was 7 and the back when he was 8.  I think Mid Pines is the toughest course my son has ever played for a couple of reasons.

1) it seemed like every approach shot was either a 5I or a 4H. I wouldn't call my son a short hitter but dang, that distance kicked his butt back then. If you are going to score low here you need to bomb it.

2) The greens were very challenging for him and me. We had a hell of a time reading the greens and I don't mean just reading the break. We had trouble just figuring out if the putt was uphill or downhill!!  The greens are very tricky. Granted, I am a terrible golfer so take my green reading with a grain of salt...but dang...you would think I could tell an uphill putt from a downhill. Pay very close attention to the greens in the practice round.  Try to map them out the best you can.

When my son turned 9, his course was No.1 at Words. It felt like a Caribbean vacation compared to Mid Pines!!!

That's interesting.  I agree that mid pines is a pretty tough course.  I don't think you need to bomb it on the back to score.  Obviously, distance helps, but average distance with good iron play and putting will get you around there nicely.

So No #1 is pretty easy?  Hoping my son qualifies for next year so we can do 18 holes.


15

#16 kcap

kcap

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
  • Joined: 03/28/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Anyone play Talamore last year or in the past?  tips/insights appreciated

16

#17 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

I just got this report on Mid Pines (from the membership & travel forum on WRX):

The tee boxes were pretty beat up, but that doesn't matter too much to me.  The greens were alright, but they were a little sandy and on the slow side.  Overall, the course was in good shape.  Just wish the greens were quicker!

Tee box's dont matter since kids will tee off from fairway somehwere.  He followed up to say he estimates greens running 9-10...that seems slower than maybe some other people have reported in the past at Mid Pines for USKG Worlds.  He also included some pictures and it looks like the greens may have been punched fairly recently, maybe a week or so, I wonder if they will speed them up for next week.

On another note , the weather looks a little cooler than typical for next week, low 80's (thow in 80% humidity and "feels like" should be about 90) with typical summertime scattered chance of T-Storms.

Edited by hangontight, 26 July 2018 - 01:09 PM.


17

#18 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 26 July 2018 - 02:05 PM

Didn't realize that this was next week.  Hope everyone going has a fun experience and those that are already there practicing are having a great time as well!

18

#19 darter79

darter79

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 302

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:41 PM

I know our family is excited to make the trip just hope the weather plays nice. Only good thing to rain is very soft receptive greens.

19

#20 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1798

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:13 PM

View Postdarter79, on 26 July 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

I know our family is excited to make the trip just hope the weather plays nice. Only good thing to rain is very soft receptive greens.

I hear it is dumping out there today.  Hopefully all the kids can finish their rounds.  I know a few had to finish yesterdays rounds this morning....


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1798

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

Has anyone been in a tournament where they basically cancel a round even though a few groups actually completed rnd 2?  I'm getting word that they may have to cancel round 2 due to the weather, but no idea how this would work since some of the kids actually finished their second round.  I could see some of the parents/kids being furious especially if they went low today....

21

#22 BertGA

BertGA

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
  • Joined: 04/29/2018
  • Location:Georgia
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

LPGA did it earlier.

https://www.google.c...to-54-holes/amp

22

#23 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1798

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostBertGA, on 03 August 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:


None of them finished round 1 in the LPGA tournament.  Looks like the most holes any of the players finished were 8.  In the case at worlds, some kids completed round 2 in its entirety.

23

#24 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2098

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

View Postkekoa, on 03 August 2018 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostBertGA, on 03 August 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:


None of them finished round 1 in the LPGA tournament.  Looks like the most holes any of the players finished were 8.  In the case at worlds, some kids completed round 2 in its entirety.

It is what it is.  Can't control weather in this sport.  Parents get pissy because they are too involved in sports in today's world.  In the grand scheme of things, this tournament means nothing to any of these kids futures.  It is just a tournament.  Sport should never define someone.

24

#25 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

We teed off at 12:54 , skies OPENED UP on walk to 2nd tee.  Knew they were going to call it any minute but hit anyway- the grip slipped out of his hands and he chunks it short left in bunker.   Got to bunker, full of water and river running down through green.  Waited another 5 minutes before we finally got word of the delay.  Rain was coming down so hard no one could hear the horn.  Mid Pines clubhouse was a Zoo for 2 hours. Anyway, at 4:10 they finally announced play suspended for remainder of day and they will be emailing details for finishing R2 in AM and R3 tee times.  So for now, my sons tee is sitting in that bunker , he is all worried it is going to wash away ...haha.   Anyway, based on that email it sounds like they are going to try to get both rounds in tomorrow- for the 9 holers at leases.  No way they push to Sunday as half the familyís probably have flights out.

Speaking for boys 7 and 8 at Mid Pines - the tee times were from 7:15-1:30 , so probably 1/2-2/3 is the kids finished round 2 with no rain- scores coming in were actually way improved over day 1.

Edited by hangontight, 03 August 2018 - 03:44 PM.


25

#26 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 2098

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

View Posthangontight, on 03 August 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

We teed off at 12:54 , skies OPENED UP on walk to 2nd tee.  Knew they were going to call it any minute but hit anyway- the grip slipped out of his hands and he chunks it short left in bunker.   Got to bunker, full of water and river running down through green.  Waited another 5 minutes before we finally got word of the delay.  Rain was coming down so hard no one could hear the horn.  Mid Pines clubhouse was a Zoo for 2 hours. Anyway, at 4:10 they finally announced play suspended for remainder of day and they will be emailing details for finishing R2 in AM and R3 tee times.  So for now, my sons tee is sitting in that bunker , he is all worried it is going to wash away ...haha.   Anyway, based on that email it sounds like they are going to try to get both rounds in tomorrow- for the 9 holers at leases.  No way they push to Sunday as half the family's probably have flights out.

Speaking for boys 7 and 8 at Mid Pines - the tee times were from 7:15-1:30 , so probably 1/2-2/3 is the kids finished round 2 with no rain- scores coming in were actually way improved over day 1.

In my opinion, you should always mark your ball with 2 or more tees when leaving the course for a delay.

https://www.fsga.org...es---040113/384

Lifting the ball


When play is suspended during the middle of a match or a tournament, the player is allowed to pick his ball ("lifting the ball') up from the course. However, he must mark the course with a specific ball marker so he knows exactly where the ball was at the time play was stopped. If wind, rain or other weather conditions have moved the marker, the player must try to put the ball back in its original position. If the player has seen lightning or the committee has reported lightning, the player is to leave the course immediately without picking up his ball or marking it. If the ball is missing when he returns or it has moved, the player may return it to its original position as best he can without penalty.

Read more at https://www.golflink...uwdTMcpr5Ufd.99

Edited by heavy_hitter, 03 August 2018 - 04:09 PM.


26

#27 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

View Posthangontight, on 03 August 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:


Speaking for boys 7 and 8 at Mid Pines - the tee times were from 7:15-1:30 , so probably 1/2-2/3 is the kids finished round 2 with no rain- scores coming in were actually way improved over day 1.

Boys 8 scores were .75 shots better than the day before of the kids that finished round 2.  Boys 7 scores were 3.17 shots better than the first day of the kids that finished round 2.

Hope you're at least having some fun and it's not a total bummer.

27

#28 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:23 PM

View Postleezer99, on 03 August 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 03 August 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:


Speaking for boys 7 and 8 at Mid Pines - the tee times were from 7:15-1:30 , so probably 1/2-2/3 is the kids finished round 2 with no rain- scores coming in were actually way improved over day 1.

Boys 8 scores were .75 shots better than the day before of the kids that finished round 2.  Boys 7 scores were 3.17 shots better than the first day of the kids that finished round 2.

Hope you're at least having some fun and it's not a total bummer.

Haha, you actually tooo the time to do the math?  Thanks, now I have good fodder for clubhouse talk with the other dads.  Seemed better when I checked this scores of the first few groups.  

And yes, we have a pool (which is probably more important than golf to half these kids here if you took a secret pole)

Edited by hangontight, 03 August 2018 - 04:29 PM.


28

#29 hangontight

hangontight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 03 August 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 03 August 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

We teed off at 12:54 , skies OPENED UP on walk to 2nd tee.  Knew they were going to call it any minute but hit anyway- the grip slipped out of his hands and he chunks it short left in bunker.   Got to bunker, full of water and river running down through green.  Waited another 5 minutes before we finally got word of the delay.  Rain was coming down so hard no one could hear the horn.  Mid Pines clubhouse was a Zoo for 2 hours. Anyway, at 4:10 they finally announced play suspended for remainder of day and they will be emailing details for finishing R2 in AM and R3 tee times.  So for now, my sons tee is sitting in that bunker , he is all worried it is going to wash away ...haha.   Anyway, based on that email it sounds like they are going to try to get both rounds in tomorrow- for the 9 holers at leases.  No way they push to Sunday as half the family's probably have flights out.

Speaking for boys 7 and 8 at Mid Pines - the tee times were from 7:15-1:30 , so probably 1/2-2/3 is the kids finished round 2 with no rain- scores coming in were actually way improved over day 1.

In my opinion, you should always mark your ball with 2 or more tees when leaving the course for a delay.

https://www.fsga.org...es---040113/384

    Lifting the ball


When play is suspended during the middle of a match or a tournament, the player is allowed to pick his ball ("lifting the ball') up from the course. However, he must mark the course with a specific ball marker so he knows exactly where the ball was at the time play was stopped. If wind, rain or other weather conditions have moved the marker, the player must try to put the ball back in its original position. If the player has seen lightning or the committee has reported lightning, the player is to leave the course immediately without picking up his ball or marking it. If the ball is missing when he returns or it has moved, the player may return it to its original position as best he can without penalty.

Read more at https://www.golflink...uwdTMcpr5Ufd.99

Good point, actually thought as we were driving away I should of been more clear with him-  at that moment It litterly was raining as hard as Iíve probably ever seen rain come down.  It was one of those chaotic moments,  between managing umbrella , the bag, and all that  I kind of barked at him to go mark it- didnít really give him specifics.  

I imagine they will cut the greens in the morning.  How do they handle markers on the greens?  Or do they not cut them?

29

#30 leezer99

leezer99

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
  • Joined: 09/10/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

View Posthangontight, on 03 August 2018 - 04:23 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 03 August 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 03 August 2018 - 03:40 PM, said:

Speaking for boys 7 and 8 at Mid Pines - the tee times were from 7:15-1:30 , so probably 1/2-2/3 is the kids finished round 2 with no rain- scores coming in were actually way improved over day 1.

Boys 8 scores were .75 shots better than the day before of the kids that finished round 2.  Boys 7 scores were 3.17 shots better than the first day of the kids that finished round 2.

Hope you're at least having some fun and it's not a total bummer.

Haha, you actually tooo the time to do the math?  Thanks, now I have good fodder for clubhouse talk with the other dads.  Seemed better when I checked this opening I should of said.

And yes, we have a pool (which is probably more important than golf to half these kid)!

Excel bro.  :)

All Boys 8 average day 1: 44.29
All Boys 7 average day 1: 45.38

edit: just to clarify... the first post was ONLY the kids that finished round two.  The averages here are of all the kids minus WD's or NS.

Edited by leezer99, 03 August 2018 - 04:40 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors