Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cutting Down Clubs


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 darter79

darter79

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

I read a lot about some of y'all cutting down shafts to fit juniors.  From my limited understanding of club making that has an impact of the stiffness ect. For those that have done it how much did you have cut down, just curious to how much you can take off with out impacting its overall performance.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:The Bridges - 74.3/144
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

https://www.golfdige...070921equipment

2

#3 darter79

darter79

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

so for those who juniors use ladies clubs how are you doing it then?

3

#4 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
GolfWRX Likes : 445

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

My kids have played from 5-10 yo and I never used cut down clubs. It was either a top flite jr set, Cobra jr, or US Kids. I did order a Flynn shaft for a fairway wood, and use the Cobra jr driver, but never gave them cut down clubs. I am building his next set of irons, but they are not cut down adult. Full assembly myself to spec and weight.
Current Bag:

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 15.5* GD ADDI 6S
F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Cobra F7 3H Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Ping I200 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5
MD2 Tour 52* S200
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

Alternates:
Fly Z 3/4Hyb Aldila Rogue 85h R flex
F6 Baffler Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
PM Grind MD3 64* KBS 610

4

#5 frankie

frankie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 536
  • Joined: 05/05/2005
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

My daughter is 8, I've tried cut down ladies clubs on her driver, hybrid and wedges. The ladies shafts have all been very light similar to Flynn's weighting about 45 to 50 grams. I would say on the driver and hybrid cutting down was not the ideal option and she's using Flynn's shafts which have a lot more flex in them. Also the grip area is much smaller in the Flynn shafts.

As for the wedges i just cut down some older cleveland ladies rotex 2.0 with 50 gram shafts and they seem fine but its only been a few days. I'm thinking they will be ok in the wedges since Cleveland just launched new junior wedges and they put steel KBS 70 for 8-9 year old clubs and read that they are using the same heads.

I think in the Woods, I would use Flynn for irons and wedges I'm on the fence if you can find 50 gram shafts will see in the next few weeks. For me its been a cheap experiment since you can find used ladies clubs for very cheap online and then cut at home. If it doesn't work you order a shaft which I would have had to anyway.


5

#6 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

My daughter is 10 and I have bought a driver and 3 wood with a ladies flex before and cut them down to what US kids says is the appropriate length. She had no problem hitting either of the two clubs and still uses the 3 wood. When you cut down the shaft it changes the swing weight and stiffens the shaft so you need to be aware of this. My daughter's coach had me add some lead tape to the bottom of her driver to give the club a little more weight. In a perfect world, you would get a junior shaft put in the clubs until the child swings the club fast enough to have a stronger flex shaft. You can get the junior shafts from Flynn golf and he will even put the adapter on for you before he ships it. It does add to the cost of the club you are purchasing so that is why some folks just cut the club down.

6

#7 hangontight

hangontight

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

View Postfrankie, on 11 January 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

My daughter is 8, I've tried cut down ladies clubs on her driver, hybrid and wedges. The ladies shafts have all been very light similar to Flynn's weighting about 45 to 50 grams. I would say on the driver and hybrid cutting down was not the ideal option and she's using Flynn's shafts which have a lot more flex in them. Also the grip area is much smaller in the Flynn shafts.

As for the wedges i just cut down some older cleveland ladies rotex 2.0 with 50 gram shafts and they seem fine but its only been a few days. I'm thinking they will be ok in the wedges since Cleveland just launched new junior wedges and they put steel KBS 70 for 8-9 year old clubs and read that they are using the same heads.

I think in the Woods, I would use Flynn for irons and wedges I'm on the fence if you can find 50 gram shafts will see in the next few weeks. For me its been a cheap experiment since you can find used ladies clubs for very cheap online and then cut at home. If it doesn't work you order a shaft which I would have had to anyway.

Interesting, I didnt know about the Junior Cleveland Wedges.  I was waiting on the new USKG Tour Series TS3.  Looks like another option to consider now.  From your comments above on headweight being same as adults and shaft in the 70 range, it sounds like they may be heavier than US Kids (I dont think they advertise the headweights or shaft specs on their current lines, only "20% less than adults") and the flynn setups.  However, Cleveland recommended wedge length for 8-9 year olds is the same as the US Kids 51" series length..28.5". Here is link to Cleveland junior wedges.

https://www.clevelan...iors-golf-clubs

Edited by hangontight, 11 January 2018 - 04:45 PM.


7

#8 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:The Bridges - 74.3/144
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

View Posthangontight, on 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

View Postfrankie, on 11 January 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

My daughter is 8, I've tried cut down ladies clubs on her driver, hybrid and wedges. The ladies shafts have all been very light similar to Flynn's weighting about 45 to 50 grams. I would say on the driver and hybrid cutting down was not the ideal option and she's using Flynn's shafts which have a lot more flex in them. Also the grip area is much smaller in the Flynn shafts.

As for the wedges i just cut down some older cleveland ladies rotex 2.0 with 50 gram shafts and they seem fine but its only been a few days. I'm thinking they will be ok in the wedges since Cleveland just launched new junior wedges and they put steel KBS 70 for 8-9 year old clubs and read that they are using the same heads.

I think in the Woods, I would use Flynn for irons and wedges I'm on the fence if you can find 50 gram shafts will see in the next few weeks. For me its been a cheap experiment since you can find used ladies clubs for very cheap online and then cut at home. If it doesn't work you order a shaft which I would have had to anyway.

Interesting, I didnt know about the Junior Cleveland Wedges.  I was waiting on the new USKG Tour Series TS3.  Looks like another option to consider now.  From your comments above on headweight being same as adults and shaft in the 70 range, it sounds like they may be heavier than US Kids (I dont think they advertise the headweights or shaft specs on their current lines, only "20% less than adults") and the flynn setups.  However, Cleveland recommended wedge length for 8-9 year olds is the same as the US Kids 51" series length..28.5". Here is link to Cleveland junior wedges.

https://www.clevelan...iors-golf-clubs

I looked at the Cleveland junior set a while ago. I was unimpressed. They do not look like a serious set of clubs. At least with USKG TS, you can get 5,6,7,8,9,PW and SW clubs.

There was a "Junior driver review" earlier on this board that mentions the Cleveland CG Black driver for Juniors...that driver does look good to me and I would not hesitate to have my junior try it out if he had the chance.

Note: My personal clubs are Cleveland.

Edited by wildcatden, 11 January 2018 - 04:51 PM.


8

#9 hangontight

hangontight

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 11 January 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

View Postfrankie, on 11 January 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

My daughter is 8, I've tried cut down ladies clubs on her driver, hybrid and wedges. The ladies shafts have all been very light similar to Flynn's weighting about 45 to 50 grams. I would say on the driver and hybrid cutting down was not the ideal option and she's using Flynn's shafts which have a lot more flex in them. Also the grip area is much smaller in the Flynn shafts.

As for the wedges i just cut down some older cleveland ladies rotex 2.0 with 50 gram shafts and they seem fine but its only been a few days. I'm thinking they will be ok in the wedges since Cleveland just launched new junior wedges and they put steel KBS 70 for 8-9 year old clubs and read that they are using the same heads.

I think in the Woods, I would use Flynn for irons and wedges I'm on the fence if you can find 50 gram shafts will see in the next few weeks. For me its been a cheap experiment since you can find used ladies clubs for very cheap online and then cut at home. If it doesn't work you order a shaft which I would have had to anyway.

Interesting, I didnt know about the Junior Cleveland Wedges.  I was waiting on the new USKG Tour Series TS3.  Looks like another option to consider now.  From your comments above on headweight being same as adults and shaft in the 70 range, it sounds like they may be heavier than US Kids (I dont think they advertise the headweights or shaft specs on their current lines, only "20% less than adults") and the flynn setups.  However, Cleveland recommended wedge length for 8-9 year olds is the same as the US Kids 51" series length..28.5". Here is link to Cleveland junior wedges.

https://www.clevelan...iors-golf-clubs

I looked at the Cleveland junior set a while ago. I was unimpressed. They do not look like a serious set of clubs. At least with USKG TS, you can get 5,6,7,8,9,PW and SW clubs.

Note: My personal clubs are Cleveland.

Agree, but I was referring to the wedges only (check out link , they have same models as adults), not the iron set.   I just talked to Cleveland Golf and they confirmed the heads in the junior wedges are the same as the adult models, just with a different junior shaft and grip.  I was momentarily intrigued because I love Cleveland wedges myself.

9

#10 wildcatden

wildcatden

    China Cat Sunflower

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:The Bridges - 74.3/144
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

View Posthangontight, on 11 January 2018 - 04:52 PM, said:

View Postwildcatden, on 11 January 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

View Postfrankie, on 11 January 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

My daughter is 8, I've tried cut down ladies clubs on her driver, hybrid and wedges. The ladies shafts have all been very light similar to Flynn's weighting about 45 to 50 grams. I would say on the driver and hybrid cutting down was not the ideal option and she's using Flynn's shafts which have a lot more flex in them. Also the grip area is much smaller in the Flynn shafts.

As for the wedges i just cut down some older cleveland ladies rotex 2.0 with 50 gram shafts and they seem fine but its only been a few days. I'm thinking they will be ok in the wedges since Cleveland just launched new junior wedges and they put steel KBS 70 for 8-9 year old clubs and read that they are using the same heads.

I think in the Woods, I would use Flynn for irons and wedges I'm on the fence if you can find 50 gram shafts will see in the next few weeks. For me its been a cheap experiment since you can find used ladies clubs for very cheap online and then cut at home. If it doesn't work you order a shaft which I would have had to anyway.

Interesting, I didnt know about the Junior Cleveland Wedges.  I was waiting on the new USKG Tour Series TS3.  Looks like another option to consider now.  From your comments above on headweight being same as adults and shaft in the 70 range, it sounds like they may be heavier than US Kids (I dont think they advertise the headweights or shaft specs on their current lines, only "20% less than adults") and the flynn setups.  However, Cleveland recommended wedge length for 8-9 year olds is the same as the US Kids 51" series length..28.5". Here is link to Cleveland junior wedges.

https://www.clevelan...iors-golf-clubs

I looked at the Cleveland junior set a while ago. I was unimpressed. They do not look like a serious set of clubs. At least with USKG TS, you can get 5,6,7,8,9,PW and SW clubs.

Note: My personal clubs are Cleveland.

Agree, but I was referring to the wedges only (check out link , they have same models as adults), not the iron set.   I just talked to Cleveland Golf and they confirmed the heads in the junior wedges are the same as the adult models, just with a different junior shaft and grip.  I was momentarily intrigued because I love Cleveland wedges myself.

My bad, I didn't catch the wedges part. My wedges are Cleveland P and SW. Nothing special though as they came with the set (back in 2003 or 2004).


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
  • Joined: 04/20/2017
  • Location:Gainesville, Ga
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 11 January 2018 - 04:49 PM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 11 January 2018 - 04:44 PM, said:

View Postfrankie, on 11 January 2018 - 02:43 PM, said:

My daughter is 8, I've tried cut down ladies clubs on her driver, hybrid and wedges. The ladies shafts have all been very light similar to Flynn's weighting about 45 to 50 grams. I would say on the driver and hybrid cutting down was not the ideal option and she's using Flynn's shafts which have a lot more flex in them. Also the grip area is much smaller in the Flynn shafts.

As for the wedges i just cut down some older cleveland ladies rotex 2.0 with 50 gram shafts and they seem fine but its only been a few days. I'm thinking they will be ok in the wedges since Cleveland just launched new junior wedges and they put steel KBS 70 for 8-9 year old clubs and read that they are using the same heads.

I think in the Woods, I would use Flynn for irons and wedges I'm on the fence if you can find 50 gram shafts will see in the next few weeks. For me its been a cheap experiment since you can find used ladies clubs for very cheap online and then cut at home. If it doesn't work you order a shaft which I would have had to anyway.

Interesting, I didnt know about the Junior Cleveland Wedges.  I was waiting on the new USKG Tour Series TS3.  Looks like another option to consider now.  From your comments above on headweight being same as adults and shaft in the 70 range, it sounds like they may be heavier than US Kids (I dont think they advertise the headweights or shaft specs on their current lines, only "20% less than adults") and the flynn setups.  However, Cleveland recommended wedge length for 8-9 year olds is the same as the US Kids 51" series length..28.5".    Here is link to Cleveland junior wedges.

https://www.clevelan...iors-golf-clubs

I looked at the Cleveland junior set a while ago. I was unimpressed. They do not look like a serious set of clubs. At least with USKG TS, you can get 5,6,7,8,9,PW and SW clubs.

There was a "Junior driver review" earlier on this board that mentions the Cleveland CG Black driver for Juniors...that driver does look good to me and I would not hesitate to have my junior try it out if he had the chance.

Note: My personal clubs are Cleveland.



I just ordered a Cleveland cg black driver. Supposed to be here tomarrow I'll let you know how it works out if it warms up Sat and my flu is gone

11

#12 frankie

frankie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 536
  • Joined: 05/05/2005
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

Just a quick update, my daughter took her new cut down ladies Cleveland 588 CB Rotex 2.0 out this weekend. The heads are heavier and bigger, the shaft stiffer but weight was not an issue. That being said, I think in the wedges the extra head weight actually helps her to control the club and not swing as hard on short shots. She loves the wedges and feels very confident, I think they will be just fine. I felt her distance we solid didn't lose any distance I would say she maybe hits these new wedges further than her series 2 flynn wedges.

Was a pretty inexpensive try and I'm going to keep the ladies shafts cut down in them.

12

#13 darter79

darter79

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

View Postfrankie, on 15 January 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

Just a quick update, my daughter took her new cut down ladies Cleveland 588 CB Rotex 2.0 out this weekend. The heads are heavier and bigger, the shaft stiffer but weight was not an issue. That being said, I think in the wedges the extra head weight actually helps her to control the club and not swing as hard on short shots. She loves the wedges and feels very confident, I think they will be just fine. I felt her distance we solid didn't lose any distance I would say she maybe hits these new wedges further than her series 2 flynn wedges.

Was a pretty inexpensive try and I'm going to keep the ladies shafts cut down in them.

What ladies shaft did you have in there?

13

#14 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29,328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16458

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

Cutting down clubs for children isn't really a good idea. The swing weight is way off and it can have real impact on how they swing the club. Clubs designed just for kids is the best way to go.
Callaway Rogue Draw
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Steelhead XR 5
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58
Callaway Odyssey "O" Works Tank #7

14

#15 wlm

wlm

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

When my son was younger, I would buy some used senior flex irons and cut them down. Typically I would try to make them 1/2" to 1" longer than USKG clubs for his size. Then I would grip them with light ladies size grips or just noir grips. Swing weight will be off, but length and lie are way more important. I don't think junior size clubs have typical swing weights anyway. They probably weigh in the A's or low B's because they are so short.


15

#16 frankie

frankie

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 536
  • Joined: 05/05/2005
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:32 AM

They had ladies 50 gram shafts for Cleveland in them itís the stock ladies shaft for the 2015 588 CB rotex 2.0. She wanted black wedges and these are black looks actually really nice.

16



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors