Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Great article for junior golf parents

41 replies to this topic

#31 agatha

agatha

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308263
GolfWRX Likes : 1322

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Im not exactly sure what the offending parents are doing but if it stuff to try to manipulate their kids ranking it won't really benefit them in the long run.  There was a kid my sons age who had a dad who would w/d him from tournaments if he was not going to have a good finish in order to keep his ranking higher (I found this out via his and my sons swing coach years later).  Anyway this kid went on to go to Stanford, he didn't have any scholarship (dad is rich) but his false ability and ranking bit him in the butt because he never sniffed competing.  His golf career ended at college after so many years and dollars and effort to make him the next great thing..   Maybe off subject but it really stuck with me because I was even disillusioned to thinking this kid was something special.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

View Postagatha, on 08 January 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

Im not exactly sure what the offending parents are doing but if it stuff to try to manipulate their kids ranking it won't really benefit them in the long run.  There was a kid my sons age who had a dad who would w/d him from tournaments if he was not going to have a good finish in order to keep his ranking higher (I found this out via his and my sons swing coach years later).  Anyway this kid went on to go to Stanford, he didn't have any scholarship (dad is rich) but his false ability and ranking bit him in the butt because he never sniffed competing.  His golf career ended at college after so many years and dollars and effort to make him the next great thing..   Maybe off subject but it really stuck with me because I was even disillusioned to thinking this kid was something special.

JGS has changed this within the rankings.  If you withdraw, that score still counts.  So what we see now is an uptick of no cards.  Many tours now have a policy of not checking, correcting, or exchanging score cards until they get to the scorers table.  It is honestly sad.

Tiger is talking about Ivan Zweig.  Was on the mini series on Esquire “The Short Game.”  His daughter is really good, but has no business playing in US Kids Locals.  I don’t fault the girl.  She seems innocent and very sweet.  I blame the parents.  It is like taking varsity football players and playing them down to play against a JV team.  Varsity players aren’t going to get better and does nothing to help that JV team.

#33 agatha

agatha

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308263
GolfWRX Likes : 1322

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 January 2018 - 04:15 PM, said:

View Postagatha, on 08 January 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

JGS has changed this within the rankings.  If you withdraw, that score still counts.  So what we see now is an uptick of no cards.  Many tours now have a policy of not checking, correcting, or exchanging score cards until they get to the scorers table.  It is honestly sad.

Tiger is talking about Ivan Zweig.  Was on the mini series on Esquire “The Short Game.”  His daughter is really good, but has no business playing in US Kids Locals.  I don’t fault the girl.  She seems innocent and very sweet.  I blame the parents.  It is like taking varsity football players and playing them down to play against a JV team.  Varsity players aren’t going to get better and does nothing to help that JV team.

The only thing I don't miss about junior golf days were the crazy parents, the higher the level the crazier they got too.  Its sad to think this type of behavior is making associations change the rules to try to compensate.

#34 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1393

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 06 January 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 05 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 05 January 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Good article, the hard part is every kid is different.  I also think failure is very important for them to grow.  You also have to be careful and not put them in events where others do not feel like there kids can have a failure. Playing too much with those kids will hurt their long term development and the parents can create a toxic environment.

At a young age kids can only score so low. Usually if they take a big risk and something goes wrong they end up with a high score.  Sometimes though that risk pays off and they win big. Locally I notice more and more kids are not allowed to take the risky shot and instead will just take an extra stroke or two. If they take the shot I see the dad get mad and say they need to listen.These same kids also play the easier courses and practice daily the same courses.  When you see that type of thing go on it's time to move to another tour.  Also if you see the same kids win ever week don't take the tour or those kids seriously because those kids should have moved on to bigger tournaments if there truly that good.

Good thoughts.  Ime not sure about avoiding Tmnts with those types of toxic parents or kids though.  While I cringe at playing with certain specific kids or parents that we've come to know as having bad on Course behavior , I've never considered son not playing because of them.  I think that is a non controllable factor- Maybe getting paired presents a good lesson opportunity in focusing (and how NOT to act!). There is 3 or 4 specific kids/parents that we occasionally are paired with- when they go into orbit over a missed putt like they always do my son just looks at me like "they are freaking crazy, Dad!" .  We just walk on the other side of fairway and do our thing.

I wouldn't say don't play because of them but don't play every week in tournaments that encourage or have an aboundunce of them.

If you see the same kid win every tournament every week but never moves up it's a problem for the tour and everyone else. I have found those kids only stay there because they can win on a certain tour. If they move up they tend to lose and can not take it.

I also see where there is supposed be better tournaments but the only way they screen is they charge more. You end up playing with the dad with a 8 year old who thinks she good.  You also have to watch tournaments that stack too many kids on the course and no supervision.  

Do too many of these tournaments and it will suck the fun out of golf for everyone.

Sometimes I wish the US Kids local tours would allow certain players to 'age up' to keep things more competitive.  I know it doesn't mean sh*t but my son is one of the better 7 year olds in the are and wins a lot of local tournaments.  It's kind of ridiculous that he hits driver/ flip wedge into every par 4.  He goes through tournaments never using his short/mid irons.  He gets much better competition in regional and state events, which is great given the much larger fields.

We have tried another tour and from what I saw the competition was probably worse.  Add on the fact that there are no caddies or supervision to move things along......the tournament was brutal.

#35 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

View Postkekoa, on 08 January 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

Good article, the hard part is every kid is different.  I also think failure is very important for them to grow.  You also have to be careful and not put them in events where others do not feel like there kids can have a failure. Playing too much with those kids will hurt their long term development and the parents can create a toxic environment.

At a young age kids can only score so low. Usually if they take a big risk and something goes wrong they end up with a high score.  Sometimes though that risk pays off and they win big. Locally I notice more and more kids are not allowed to take the risky shot and instead will just take an extra stroke or two. If they take the shot I see the dad get mad and say they need to listen.These same kids also play the easier courses and practice daily the same courses.  When you see that type of thing go on it's time to move to another tour.  Also if you see the same kids win ever week don't take the tour or those kids seriously because those kids should have moved on to bigger tournaments if there truly that good.

Good thoughts.  Ime not sure about avoiding Tmnts with those types of toxic parents or kids though.  While I cringe at playing with certain specific kids or parents that we've come to know as having bad on Course behavior , I've never considered son not playing because of them.  I think that is a non controllable factor- Maybe getting paired presents a good lesson opportunity in focusing (and how NOT to act!). There is 3 or 4 specific kids/parents that we occasionally are paired with- when they go into orbit over a missed putt like they always do my son just looks at me like "they are freaking crazy, Dad!" .  We just walk on the other side of fairway and do our thing.

I wouldn't say don't play because of them but don't play every week in tournaments that encourage or have an aboundunce of them.

If you see the same kid win every tournament every week but never moves up it's a problem for the tour and everyone else. I have found those kids only stay there because they can win on a certain tour. If they move up they tend to lose and can not take it.

I also see where there is supposed be better tournaments but the only way they screen is they charge more. You end up playing with the dad with a 8 year old who thinks she good.  You also have to watch tournaments that stack too many kids on the course and no supervision.  

Do too many of these tournaments and it will suck the fun out of golf for everyone.

Sometimes I wish the US Kids local tours would allow certain players to 'age up' to keep things more competitive.  I know it doesn't mean sh*t but my son is one of the better 7 year olds in the are and wins a lot of local tournaments.  It's kind of ridiculous that he hits driver/ flip wedge into every par 4.  He goes through tournaments never using his short/mid irons.  He gets much better competition in regional and state events, which is great given the much larger fields.

We have tried another tour and from what I saw the competition was probably worse.  Add on the fact that there are no caddies or supervision to move things along......the tournament was brutal.

I agree in a sense and in the same sentence disagree.

I agree that a kids parents based on scores and wins should be allowed to move kids up.  There has to be a set policy behind it.  

I also believe that kids should play in the age group that coincides with Worlds, not the age group they are in at that time.  Mine isn’t playing locals anymore.  Once you hit 12 there is no reason to play a US Kids local tour.  Teen Championship is not one of the better tournaments.  Was looking at our local just to see who was playing the other day.   8 of the 12 kids will be 13 by June and eligible to play in the Teen World.  How does this help the 12 year old age group and how does it help these 8 kids prepare for golf life as a 13 year old.  5500 yards as a 13 year old is a joke.  Very poor policy.

I disagree because the local tour is meant as a beginners tour.  That is what it is and what it always will be.  If you move your 7 year old up to the 8 year old division that can be very discouraging to the 8 year olds he beats or are just starting the game.  

I think the best way to counter all of it would be at the local level to have 11-12 division, 9-10 division, 7-8 division, and 6 year old division.

#36 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,500 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 January 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

I agree that a kids parents based on scores and wins should be allowed to move kids up.  There has to be a set policy behind it.  

I also believe that kids should play in the age group that coincides with Worlds, not the age group they are in at that time.  Mine isn’t playing locals anymore.  Once you hit 12 there is no reason to play a US Kids local tour.  Teen Championship is not one of the better tournaments.  Was looking at our local just to see who was playing the other day.   8 of the 12 kids will be 13 by June and eligible to play in the Teen World.  How does this help the 12 year old age group and how does it help these 8 kids prepare for golf life as a 13 year old.  5500 yards as a 13 year old is a joke.  Very poor policy.

I disagree because the local tour is meant as a beginners tour.  That is what it is and what it always will be.  If you move your 7 year old up to the 8 year old division that can be very discouraging to the 8 year olds he beats or are just starting the game.  

I think the best way to counter all of it would be at the local level to have 11-12 division, 9-10 division, 7-8 division, and 6 year old division.

Good point HH.  I never thought about the 8's and the possible discouragement.  I would think most kids would just assume he is a small 8 yr. old.

Great idea of the mixing of age divisions.  

When my son is 9 he probably won't play many US Kids events anymore either.  The goal will be Players Tour and then Toyota Tour Cup.

#37 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:40 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 January 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Sometimes I wish the US Kids local tours would allow certain players to 'age up' to keep things more competitive.  I know it doesn't mean sh*t but my son is one of the better 7 year olds in the are and wins a lot of local tournaments.  It's kind of ridiculous that he hits driver/ flip wedge into every par 4.  He goes through tournaments never using his short/mid irons.  He gets much better competition in regional and state events, which is great given the much larger fields.  The other reason could be , as discussed in the other thread-  playing regionals is a heck of a lot more $ and time commitment than locals and in a lot of areas (like ours) US kids locals are the only real Tmnt golf option for kids under 10.  

I also believe that kids should play in the age group that coincides with Worlds, not the age group they are in at that time.  Mine isnít playing locals anymore.  Once you hit 12 there is no reason to play a US Kids local tour.  Teen Championship is not one of the better tournaments.  Was looking at our local just to see who was playing the other day.   8 of the 12 kids will be 13 by June and eligible to play in the Teen World.  How does this help the 12 year old age group and how does it help these 8 kids prepare for golf life as a 13 year old.  5500 yards as a 13 year old is a joke.  Very poor policy.

I mostly agree about the more advanced players moving on from local tours.  However, I think (know) for some they continue with , or come back to, local tours chasing the status levels in order to qualify for regionals or worlds.  The other reason, as discussed in the other thread is that in some areas (like ours) us kids locals are the only game in town for junior golf 10u, and it's a lot more expensive to play regionals than locals.

Edited by hangontight, 08 January 2018 - 07:43 PM.

#38 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:05 PM

The Driver/Wedge/Putter over and over of the US Kids Local is my beef also. Perhaps they could have two flights in an age group.  Otherwise, I like HH's thoughts on grouping age divisions together.  

If you don't mind, what was the other tour you tried where the competition was probably worse?

Edited by wildcatden, 08 January 2018 - 08:09 PM.

#39 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

We have tried another tour and from what I saw the competition was probably worse.  Add on the fact that there are no caddies or supervision to move things along......the tournament was brutal

After a certain point US kids tours are a waste of time on money. At least they should be for some. I also agree with HH that those local tours are for beginners and what bothers me most is how this stops more kids from playing. It almost discouraged me from pushing my daughter to play more. I realized though that this is a long term endeavor and luckily I had a neighbor who son now plays D1 golf told me that he would not have wasted so much money years ago.

Long story short is do bigger tournaments and less of them. With my kids I am am think 6 -7 tournaments a year is plenty for my 7 year old. For my older daughter maybe 10-12 is most we are going to do this year and I think that may be too much.  Doing weekly just burns them out.

#40 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,500 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 08 January 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

The Driver/Wedge/Putter over and over of the US Kids Local is my beef also. Perhaps they could have two flights in an age group.  Otherwise, I like HH's thoughts on grouping age divisions together.  

If you don't mind, what was the other tour you tried where the competition was probably worse?

View Postwildcatden, on 08 January 2018 - 08:05 PM, said:

No enough players for flights within an age group.

Scpga development tour. A few kids can play but a lot dont even know basic golf etiquette or rules.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

tiger1873, on 08 January 2018 - 09:18 PM, said:

kekoa, on 08 January 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

tiger1873, on 06 January 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

hangontight, on 05 January 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

tiger1873, on 05 January 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

We have tried another tour and from what I saw the competition was probably worse.  Add on the fact that there are no caddies or supervision to move things along......the tournament was brutal

After a certain point US kids tours are a waste of time on money. At least they should be for some. I also agree with HH that those local tours are for beginners and what bothers me most is how this stops more kids from playing. It almost discouraged me from pushing my daughter to play more. I realized though that this is a long term endeavor and luckily I had a neighbor who son now plays D1 golf told me that he would not have wasted so much money years ago.

Long story short is do bigger tournaments and less of them. With my kids I am am think 6 -7 tournaments a year is plenty for my 7 year old. For my older daughter maybe 10-12 is most we are going to do this year and I think that may be too much.  Doing weekly just burns them out.

A lot of truth here.

One US kids local a year is plenty for a 6-8 year old.  Then it is basketball, soccer, baseball, or whatever the rest of the year.  You of course going to do some golf in between, but probably not hard core tournament golf.  My son is playing less this year as a 12/13 year old than he did as an 11/12 year old.  Last year we were chasing status.  This year I could care less about US Kids.  Can't say never, but more than likely will never play another US Kids event again.  

Once you hit 12, there is no reason to play in one day events ever again.  You should only focus on playing 2 day Junior Golf Scoreboard ranked events.  I have rules set in place about these.  Will only play in one a month unless they are are in our own backyard.  What I mean own backyard is that we don't have to travel more than 30 minutes to get to them.  During the summer with no school there are no limits to tournaments.  Will not play in back to back months that you have to grab a hotel.  If he can't play a practice round, he doesn't play the tournament.  If under a hour and a half or so drive we will always come back to the house.  Over an hour and a half, depending on start times we may grab a hotel for the second night.  Over 2 hours and we are generally staying in a hotel for the weekend.  Will always have a 2-3 month break during the year from tournament golf.  Doesn't mean he stops working on stuff, just no reason to play 12 months out of the year.  The brain and body needs a break from the grind.  

After reading the post from ITeach, I have really changed my philosophy on what tournaments to play this year.  There is a big leap in Florida from 12 year old divisions to 13 year old divisions.  12 year olds are generally playing 5500 to 5900 yards.  The next jump is the 13-15 year old division which is generally around 6400-6800 yards.  Mine can play that distance, but doesn't won't have a chance to win until he hits puberty.  Once he hit 13 we are going to take a break and only play tournaments he has a shot at winning until he makes that big jump in distance.  Doesn't make since to put a kid in a tournament that he doesn't have a shot at winning solely because he hasn't hit puberty and can't keep up with the 15 year olds.  I would rather him prepare working on fundamentals and technique rather than him being discouraged.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 09 January 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#42 hardcorelooper

hardcorelooper

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446740
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:41 PM

agatha, on 07 January 2018 - 02:09 AM, said:

When my son was playing junior golf it was suggested to set goals that were achievable and within his control such as -  I will have a consistent pre shot routine, or I won't let a poor result affect my next shot.  Made sense to us, it is something the player can control.

I volunteer at my local First Tee, and this is something that we stress to our juniors.  And let's face it, very, very few of the kids we get are ever going to be competitive golfers.  This helps keep them focused and positive.  One good shot, one good hole, one good nine could be what makes that kid decide that they want to stick with it and try to get better.  

Definitely set goals that your child can control.  Call them process goals, procedural goals, or whatever you'd like.  One added benefit to setting goals around executing your pre-shot routine, it helps your child get out of their own head and stop thinking so much.  I do this myself when my game starts to tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors