Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

USKG Regional Cost and alternatives?

47 replies to this topic

#1 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Found this topic buried in another thread from last year , but was off topic, so starting fresh...

The cost of USKG regional Tmnts seems a bit high- $249 or so for 9 holers.  Tee gifts are so
-so compared to what I hear of other Tmnts.  (Appreciate any tee gift, but we must have at least three different USKG tervis tumblers from states and regionals) We've done a few regionals and have had a blast, usually blending with a mini vaca for the fam.  My son enjoys them more than local Tmnts since our local scene doesn't attract many kids in his age group (7).  Especially for winter and summer tours , it's not uncommon that he is only kid signed up, or maybe 1 of 2.  A field of 20 at a regional Is more fun for him (and spending $45 for 9 hole local Tmnt with no other competitors could be considered a waste- Me and him can both play for that much and have our own comp!) What other tmnts for the younger age groups are there (comparable to USKG regionals- field size/ depth, 2 day tmts, etc)?  We are in South Carolina, so looking Southeast , Florida is a fairly easy drive too.   We just don't have a lot of organized competitive junior golf options here like you have in FL until they get 10 YO+.

Edited by hangontight, 04 January 2018 - 05:36 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 983

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

You need to PM Palmetto Golfer.  Good guy and he is from South Carolina.  

US Kids Regionals and states simply aren’t worth the cost.  In the grand scheme of things they are a huge waste of time.  Strictly my opinion of course.   Until a kid is playing tournaments with the purpose of developing their rankings, you are simply flushing cash down the toilet playing in tournaments that expensive.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 04 January 2018 - 07:43 PM.

#3 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 04 January 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

US Kids Regionals and states simply aren’t worth the cost.  In the grand scheme of things they are a huge waste of time.  Strictly my opinion of course.   Until a kid is playing tournaments with the purpose of developing their rankings, you are simply flushing cash down the toilet playing in tournaments that expensive.

Thanks for feedback.  Since we're a few years out yet from "ranking" age, I don't think it's a waste of time- as he has fun and really looks forward to them, which alone makes it worth the time (and some money, just not sure $249/pop, ha!). Same as going to Disney, the beach, or whatever else anyone does that costs money. It is worth it by some measure- a nice experience, new friends, family memories, etc. - otherwise we wouldn't go.  If we were at ranking age, then yes I see your point for sure.  For now at age 7, we're after a fun time, good competition, and keeping him engaged so hopefully when ranking age does roll around he'll have a love for the game, a good skills foundation,-and be self driven to play and compete (if not, so be it- he loves football just as much as golf so who knows)  So, the $249 for regionals sort of makes me hesitate. However,  It seems most of them get full so I guess economics 101 prevails.  Looking through other local tours fields (I.e- south Florida markets) its awesome to see 10+ kids competing week in week out.  Unfortunately , we just don't have that here...so just trying to find best ways to feed the machine without breaking the bank!

Also, thanks for the lead on Palmetto Golfer. I would love to hear his take on junior golf in SC, especially for the younger ages.

Edited by hangontight, 04 January 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#4 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

View Posthangontight, on 04 January 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

US Kids Regionals and states simply aren€™t worth the cost.  In the grand scheme of things they are a huge waste of time.  Strictly my opinion of course.   Until a kid is playing tournaments with the purpose of developing their rankings, you are simply flushing cash down the toilet playing in tournaments that expensive.

Thanks for feedback.  Since we're a few years out yet from "ranking" age, I don't think it's a waste of time- as he has fun and really looks forward to them, which alone makes it worth the time (and some money, just not sure $249/pop, ha!). Same as going to Disney, the beach, or whatever else anyone does that costs money. It is worth it by some measure- a nice experience, new friends, family memories, etc. - otherwise we wouldn't go.  If we were at ranking age, then yes I see your point for sure.  For now at age 7, we're after a fun time, good competition, and keeping him engaged so hopefully when ranking age does roll around he'll have a love for the game, a good skills foundation,-and be self driven to play and compete (if not, so be it- he loves football just as much as golf so who knows)  So, the $249 for regionals sort of makes me hesitate. However,  It seems most of them get full so I guess economics 101 prevails.  Looking through other local tours fields (I.e- south Florida markets) its awesome to see 10+ kids competing week in week out.  Unfortunately , we just don't have that here...so just trying to find best ways to feed the machine without breaking the bank!

Also, thanks for the lead on Palmetto Golfer. I would love to hear his take on junior golf in SC, especially for the younger ages.

Don Law runs the South Florida US Kids Locals.    They do a really good job.  Each division is always full and you will play with some of the best kids in the country.  Check out the Winter Stuart Tour, then in the Spring the West Palm Beach tour.

#5 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 04 January 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

Don Law runs the South Florida US Kids Locals.    They do a really good job.  Each division is always full and you will play with some of the best kids in the country.  Check out the Winter Stuart Tour, then in the Spring the West Palm Beach tour.

I've heard great things. He's been the course director at Pinehurst for the boys 6u /girls 7u the last few years.  He does an awesome job and we've played with and know several of those kids.  Lots of talent down there for sure.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

It is a matter of philosophy.  My son has played golf longer than my daughter who is in college playing.  She didn't pick up a club until 11.  By 12 she was playing in state wide events.  I kept my son away from it on purpose because I knew what a dog eat dog world it was.  I didn't want him around it and wouldn't let him start US Kids until he was 8.  I didn't see a purpose of traveling and playing for that age.  I kept him in local events only (not US Kids Local).  We have a local foundation that does a decent job with younger golfers and they host tournaments.  He played basketball, football, baseball, and golf until he was 9.  At 9 he gave up baseball.  At 10 he gave up football.  He loves to play hoops.  Have played in out US Kids State twice (waste of time considering the cost)  and US Kids Worlds twice (A great experience).  Never played in a US Kids Regional tournaments.  I think it is different for us because when he played a US Kids local or SFPGA event he was already playing with some of the best players in the country.  We didn't need a regional event to test his skills against kids from other areas because he was already testing them against the best.  For us, it just didn't make sense to play in a regional that is WAY overpriced.  

Another guy you can PM is Golfingdawg19.  He lives in South Georgia near Jacksonville.  He is pretty much in the same scenario as you are as well.  Great guy and we text back and forth all the time.

#7 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 January 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

It is a matter of philosophy.  My son has played golf longer than my daughter who is in college playing.  She didn't pick up a club until 11.  By 12 she was playing in state wide events.  I kept my son away from it on purpose because I knew what a dog eat dog world it was.  I didn't want him around it and wouldn't let him start US Kids until he was 8.  I didn't see a purpose of traveling and playing for that age.  I kept him in local events only (not US Kids Local).  We have a local foundation that does a decent job with younger golfers and they host tournaments.  He played basketball, football, baseball, and golf until he was 9.  At 9 he gave up baseball.  At 10 he gave up football.  He loves to play hoops.  Have played in out US Kids State twice (waste of time considering the cost)  and US Kids Worlds twice (A great experience).  Never played in a US Kids Regional tournaments.  I think it is different for us because when he played a US Kids local or SFPGA event he was already playing with some of the best players in the country.  We didn't need a regional event to test his skills against kids from other areas because he was already testing them against the best.  For us, it just didn't make sense to play in a regional that is WAY overpriced.  

Another guy you can PM is Golfingdawg19.  He lives in South Georgia near Jacksonville.  He is pretty much in the same scenario as you are as well.  Great guy and we text back and forth all the time.

Love the approach and it sounds like it has panned out well for your son.  He is also a multi-sport kid - football, basketball, golf, soccer.  A long journey ahead, I have picked up a lot of great thoughts and approaches from this forum, i.e.- the article you shared yesterday was fantastic.  For now I realize that these regional tournaments have little do to with his success at the older junior golf ages.  But they are good, and really fun, experiences for him and our family..regardless of how his junior golf "career" pans out.  My favorite part of these multi-day tmnts is the evenings when there is 50 kids around the putting green having putting matches and goofing off - friends from all of the region or country just having a fun time.  I like get a cold drink and watch the kids be kids without parent/caddy interruption.  Its a great scene at some of these places like PGA National Pinehurst....in those moments maybe it is worth the $249 for me.  Dont get me wrong, we are not "above" local tours at all.  If we had the local tour field numbers (and other viable options besides USKG), I would be less inclined to seek out the regional and state tmnts for the same reasons you mentioned.   Still would because of the vacation aspect, but probably 1 or 2 a year, wheras this year we are planning on 4 regionals  (including the Holiday Classic a few weeks ago), probably 1 state, and then Pinehurst World.  We're kind of at that point where I want to keep his interest engaged.   We've been to two states, two regionals, and Worlds at PH last 2 years, so have seen the variety.  I do think the states offer a pretty good (better) value - 2 day tmnt, good field, nice courses, AND at least they serve free lunch at the ones we've been to!.  I think cost is closer to $150 or so.  Pinehurst is an expensive week, but family comes down so we look at it like a family vaca and are looking forward to returning this year and playing at Mid-Pines, an awesome course.  I think all this chatter boils down to good tournament availability - it sounds like you have a lot of good options in Florida....not so much here in SC until they get to be 10 YO or so.  I think I got sidetracked a bit, but my OP was really seeking alternative options to feed the itch!  As with a lot of good things in life, I guess I just need to step up and pay to play! We all know this awesome journey is not a cheap one!

Edited by hangontight, 05 January 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

View Posthangontight, on 05 January 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

We all know this awesome journey is not a cheap one!

Just wait.  lol

#9 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 January 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

View Posthangontight, on 05 January 2018 - 11:36 AM, said:

We all know this awesome journey is not a cheap one!

Just wait.  lol

My boy just went from junior size cleats for baseball to mens sizes... who knew the price went up 40%?

#10 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

Amazing how these topics pop up on a timely basis.   Since my kid is only 7, we try to stick to USKG Locals and the Monterey Regional.  We'll likely be skipping the USKG CA State this year because it will be down in SoCal.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

my daugher is 7.  We probally will only play the texas regional becuase its only an hour from the house and it keeps the cost down.  Is it worth the cost probally not but it might be worth the experence at least once. Why do some consider the regionals not worth it but worlds worth it?

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

View Postdarter79, on 05 January 2018 - 08:29 PM, said:

my daugher is 7.  We probally will only play the texas regional becuase its only an hour from the house and it keeps the cost down.  Is it worth the cost probally not but it might be worth the experence at least once. Why do some consider the regionals not worth it but worlds worth it?

Price for what you get out of it.  Unless you are doing it for a ranking purpose there is no reason to do it with the costs behind it.  There are decent fields, but nothing great.  Worlds get you the best of the best.  Once in a lifetime experience for most.  I look at it like you are playing in the Little League World Series.  Regionals....  not so much.

#13 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:53 PM

View Posthangontight, on 04 January 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

Found this topic buried in another thread from last year , but was off topic, so starting fresh...

The cost of USKG regional Tmnts seems a bit high- $249 or so for 9 holers.  Tee gifts are so
-so compared to what I hear of other Tmnts.  (Appreciate any tee gift, but we must have at least three different USKG tervis tumblers from states and regionals) We've done a few regionals and have had a blast, usually blending with a mini vaca for the fam.  My son enjoys them more than local Tmnts since our local scene doesn't attract many kids in his age group (7).  Especially for winter and summer tours , it's not uncommon that he is only kid signed up, or maybe 1 of 2.  A field of 20 at a regional Is more fun for him (and spending $45 for 9 hole local Tmnt with no other competitors could be considered a waste- Me and him can both play for that much and have our own comp!) What other tmnts for the younger age groups are there (comparable to USKG regionals- field size/ depth, 2 day tmts, etc)?  We are in South Carolina, so looking Southeast , Florida is a fairly easy drive too.   We just don't have a lot of organized competitive junior golf options here like you have in FL until they get 10 YO+.

My daughter is 10 and started playing US Kids events at the local level in March. We live in Georgia but play out of the Jacksonville tour. I put her in the Fla State tournament at Disney this summer so she could see what the level of competition was. We just played in the Holiday Classic last month. I take your approach and see the regional and state events as way for her to compete and meet new friends. We set personal goals for each tournament and work towards achieving those. I agree that US kids charges too much money for the bigger events considering their tee prizes aren’t very good. Other tours give better gifts and also provide drinks and snacks. I will,play some of the other tours as my daughter gets older but for now I’ll pick a couple of big tournaments a year for her to play in. This gives her something to work towards and doesn’t break the bank. As Heavy mentioned, when kids are 12 and the rankings occur then everything changes. For now we have fun and try to get better with each tournament.

#14 BWISE10

BWISE10

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423886
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

I think it is good to get kids involved in tournaments early, but don't overload or spend too much money on these tournaments. For now it is about the experience and letting the kid become comfortable under pressure. I would stick to reasonably priced local ones, as there is very little to gain from winning a big tournament at that age. Once they become old enough for colleges to be interested its a different conversation, but for now I would stick to local ones. It will keep the kid from burning out, while saving you some money as well. Colleges really won't start looking until high school anyway, unless your child is the next tiger woods. Good luck!

#15 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 January 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

Price for what you get out of it.  Unless you are doing it for a ranking purpose there is no reason to do it with the costs behind it.  There are decent fields, but nothing great.  Worlds get you the best of the best.  Once in a lifetime experience for most.  I look at it like you are playing in the Little League World Series.  Regionals....  not so much.

I'll add that I think it may depend on which regional you go to also.  We've only been to two regionals - Red White Blue (Pinehurst in July) and Holiday Classic.  Just my opinion and observations in 3 short years of doing this, but notable difference between the two:

- HC had a much stronger field (for my sons age group at least), I counted 5 of the 20 kid field in the 7YO's at the HC were top 20 at Worlds Last year (including the 6yo world champion and T3 Finisher....Florida Kids, no suprise).  I dont recall RWB field being as strong.  RWB is also a only a month before Worlds, so undoubtedly some couldn't make sense of that trip only to return a month later for Worlds.  
-  RWB had different age groups spread across different area courses.  For the HC, all age groups were playing out of PGA National  (different courses, but out of same clubhouse at resort)- the scene at the range and practice green had a much more "big time" feel. than the RWB did with Kids across all age groups practicing together and hanging out.   I think this is something important to pay attention to if you are looking beyond the field and more at "the experience".
- The course at RWB for younger kids was very, very average.   PGA National on the other hand was obviously great, they already started putting up bleachers for the Honda Classic, which was cool.  I am no course snob, but $249 for two rounds at PGA National (although only 9 holes) was easier to swallow than $249 for the course at RWB, probably a $35 golfnow course.

A much better "overall golf experience" at HC than RWB.  Not sure we will go back to RWB this year.  I've heard the Texas regional is a good one too.  We're planning on Jekyll Island and the new one in Williamsburg this year, curious to see how those compare.  I think the strongest ones are always going to be ones close to the promised lands of FL, TX, and CA.  

As Heavy said, worlds is definitely a cut above.  Fields are stronger for sure.  However, I've wondered how many great kids (especially from West Coast & Beyond) do not come to Pinehurst because of time and cost.   Airfare alone for the family has to be cost prohibitive for a lot of really good kids.  I haven't looked, but bet the West Coast regionals see really strong fields with kids who could compete well at Worlds, but just do not come because it would cost a small fortune.

Edited by hangontight, 05 January 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#16 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

In my opinion, even the USKG Worlds is just not worth the trip with younger kids (mine is 7) for people from farther distance (I'm in California) unless you are making it part of a family vacation.  You are looking at a minimum $4K trip if you stayed in the cheapest possible hotel.  Far better off to play in the Callway FCG World Championships in Palm Springs and the IMG Junior World in San Diego (I think). You could probably play qualifying rounds and both of those for less than a single USKG Worlds at Pinehurst.  I'm not saying USKG Worlds is a bad experience....I believe it is probably a ton of fun. Perhaps if I was taking my family on a vacation to see the Smithsonian Museums or similar, I would make that trip.

I'm fortunate to live in NorCal where were have good quality competition. In a few years (age 10), we will probably stop playing USKG and stick to JGANC and then try to play FCG Worlds and IMG Worlds (will have to play a qualifier for those I believe).  Of course, after age 12-ish, it's on to AJGA (via JGANC/HJGT/etc...) assuming my golfer keeps progressing and loving the game.

Edited by wildcatden, 05 January 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#17 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

Great points, wildcatdan.  What is the general perception  in CA of USKG Worlds Pinehurst as an option...do people hold it in highest esteem of junior golf tmnts 10u (as some on East Clast probably do , for kids under 10 at least) or is it on par with IMG and Callway?

Edited by hangontight, 06 January 2018 - 08:19 AM.

#18 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

View Posthangontight, on 06 January 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

Great points, wildcatdan.  What is the general perception  in CA of USKG Worlds Pinehurst as an option...do people hold it in highest esteem of junior golf Tmnts (as some on East Clast probably do , for kids under 10 at least) or is it on par with IMG and Callway?

Posted Image

#19 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

View Posthangontight, on 06 January 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

Great points, wildcatdan.  What is the general perception  in CA of USKG Worlds Pinehurst as an option...do people hold it in highest esteem of junior golf tmnts 10u (as some on East Clast probably do , for kids under 10 at least) or is it on par with IMG and Callway?

I have never been to Pinehurst, but I do believe it is a great event. Competition looks very high. Fun level is very high (important!!).  But this thread is about cost. To me, $4K+ for a 3-day tournament seems a bit too much to spend.  As far as IMG or Callaway World Championships, I also have never been.

Also in relation to Pinehurst, I have never heard much about their Teen World event. Probably worthwhile for those looking to get PBE Stars on AJGA.

#20 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

View Posthangontight, on 05 January 2018 - 10:30 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 05 January 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

I'll add that I think it may depend on which regional you go to also.  We've only been to two regionals - Red White Blue (Pinehurst in July) and Holiday Classic.  Just my opinion and observations in 3 short years of doing this, but notable difference between the two:

- HC had a much stronger field (for my sons age group at least), I counted 5 of the 20 kid field in the 7YO's at the HC were top 20 at Worlds Last year (including the 6yo world champion and T3 Finisher....Florida Kids, no suprise).  I dont recall RWB field being as strong.  RWB is also a only a month before Worlds, so undoubtedly some couldn't make sense of that trip only to return a month later for Worlds.  
-  RWB had different age groups spread across different area courses.  For the HC, all age groups were playing out of PGA National  (different courses, but out of same clubhouse at resort)- the scene at the range and practice green had a much more "big time" feel. than the RWB did with Kids across all age groups practicing together and hanging out.   I think this is something important to pay attention to if you are looking beyond the field and more at "the experience".
- The course at RWB for younger kids was very, very average.   PGA National on the other hand was obviously great, they already started putting up bleachers for the Honda Classic, which was cool.  I am no course snob, but $249 for two rounds at PGA National (although only 9 holes) was easier to swallow than $249 for the course at RWB, probably a $35 golfnow course.

A much better "overall golf experience" at HC than RWB.  Not sure we will go back to RWB this year.  I've heard the Texas regional is a good one too.  We're planning on Jekyll Island and the new one in Williamsburg this year, curious to see how those compare.  I think the strongest ones are always going to be ones close to the promised lands of FL, TX, and CA.  

As Heavy said, worlds is definitely a cut above.  Fields are stronger for sure.  However, I've wondered how many great kids (especially from West Coast & Beyond) do not come to Pinehurst because of time and cost.   Airfare alone for the family has to be cost prohibitive for a lot of really good kids.  I haven't looked, but bet the West Coast regionals see really strong fields with kids who could compete well at Worlds, but just do not come because it would cost a small fortune.

If you want to talk about bang for your buck....  PGA National from May until October is free of charge for kids 12 and under.  We played the championship course twice last summer.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 hangontight

hangontight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

Maybe USK has been reading this forum (probably not), but I just received. "Tee gift survey" email.

#22 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

hangontight, on 11 January 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Maybe USK has been reading this forum (probably not), but I just received. "Tee gift survey" email.

Got the same email and I can tell you that they are definitely on this forum just not very active.  I highly doubt anything will be changed for the Spring season but they may rethink the following ones.  Not sure why they don't partner with one of the big OEM's... FCG partners with Callaway, KBS shafts, SkyTrak, Tough as Steel, etc.  In fact, FCG announced last night that the points leader in each age group for the spring season will get a voucher from Callaway for a new driver... that's pretty cool.

#23 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

Yes, got the same email.

#24 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

leezer99, on 11 January 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

Got the same email and I can tell you that they are definitely on this forum just not very active.  I highly doubt anything will be changed for the Spring season but they may rethink the following ones.  Not sure why they don't partner with one of the big OEM's... FCG partners with Callaway, KBS shafts, SkyTrak, Tough as Steel, etc.  In fact, FCG announced last night that the points leader in each age group for the spring season will get a voucher from Callaway for a new driver... that's pretty cool.

It might be hard for them to partner with big OEM's because they are in competition. USKG probably doesn't want to promote Cobra drivers and irons (via sponsorship) for juniors.

#25 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Received the email as well.

At one time they were on this forum and sponsored it somehow.  Lasted about 2 weeks where they would answer questions and such.  It ended with no explanation one day and haven’t seen them since.

#26 TimberBeast

TimberBeast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423152
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

My daughter is 12 and we've never been to worlds or even a state or regional even though she has qualified for a bunch of them for the past 4 years.  We have a US Kids local tour here in our backyard that she has been doing up until last Summer.  We're in MS and going to Pinehurst is not even an option.  We could pay for most of her Summer tour schedule for what it would cost to go to that for a week, since the first time I looked into it I knew we would never go.  The regionals seem to be just as bad, we have nothing near us.  We'll be doing MJGA and SJGT this year mostly unless something else comes up but are done with US Kids all the way around, unless my 8 year old daughter wants to play in one.

#27 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1392

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

hangontight, on 06 January 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

I personally always get the USKG Worlds and Junior Worlds mixed up.  At first I thought it was the same tournament.  From the circle that I run in, they hold the USKG Worlds in very high regards.  For instance some players parents say a kid is 3rd in the world because they finished 3rd in the tournament.   We all know that statement is untrue.  

From my understanding, players under 8 can get into the IMG tournament by showing them a player score history.  I will try that for this year and it will be our first time playing this tournament.  I've heard some positive and some negatives about IMG.

I think I will give my son 1 more shot this year at the USKG worlds and then I will stop playing it.  I feel as though last year was kind of a warm up since we had no idea what to expect. This year, I will be much more prepared for the task at hand.  Two big things I will do different is to arrive 2 days earlier than I did.  Secondly, I will likely walk the course one day with a local caddy.  Prior to last year I had no idea how to read the grain on green.  This aspect is huge at Pinehurst.

#28 propredicr

propredicr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15190
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

kekoa, on 12 January 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

I personally always get the USKG Worlds and Junior Worlds mixed up.  At first I thought it was the same tournament.  From the circle that I run in, they hold the USKG Worlds in very high regards.  For instance some players parents say a kid is 3rd in the world because they finished 3rd in the tournament.   We all know that statement is untrue.  

From my understanding, players under 8 can get into the IMG tournament by showing them a player score history.  I will try that for this year and it will be our first time playing this tournament.  I've heard some positive and some negatives about IMG.

I think I will give my son 1 more shot this year at the USKG worlds and then I will stop playing it.  I feel as though last year was kind of a warm up since we had no idea what to expect. This year, I will be much more prepared for the task at hand.  Two big things I will do different is to arrive 2 days earlier than I did.  Secondly, I will likely walk the course one day with a local caddy.  Prior to last year I had no idea how to read the grain on green.  This aspect is huge at Pinehurst.

My son played IMG Jr World, this past summer.  Was in pairing with a kid who finished top 45.  My kid had a mediocre day and shot 6 strokes better than this boy.  I saw that the same kid placed top 10, at US Kids Worlds!  Maybe had an off day when with my boy.

Looking at some of the others that my son was paired with, they finished about the same ranking at USKW...so, bottom-line is,  if you get parents willing to pay crazy amounts of money to fly their kids around the country or world, the kids need to be pretty good and the fields are going to be competitive.  

I know the qualifiers for IMG are only (two separate tourneys) 9 holes in NoCal. Not sure for SoCal/SD.   For the 9-10 yo.  Hopefully, on that day your boy plays lights out, because they only sent 4, last year from NoCal.

Best of Luck!

Edited by propredicr, 12 January 2018 - 01:53 PM.

#29 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1392

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

Looking at the scores from last year-  The winner of boys 7-8 shot (-13) with second place at (-12).  That is pretty nuts over 3 days.  Looking at the scorecard, length will not be a problem for my son, which I was a bit worried about at first.  Hopefully they accept his application.

#30 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

propredicr, on 12 January 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

kekoa, on 12 January 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

My son played IMG Jr World, this past summer.  Was in pairing with a kid who finished top 45.  My kid had a mediocre day and shot 6 strokes better than this boy.  I saw that the same kid placed top 10, at US Kids Worlds!  Maybe had an off day when with my boy.

Looking at some of the others that my son was paired with, they finished about the same ranking at USKW...so, bottom-line is,  if you get parents willing to pay crazy amounts of money to fly their kids around the country or world, the kids need to be pretty good and the fields are going to be competitive.  

I know the qualifiers for IMG are only (two separate tourneys) 9 holes in NoCal. Not sure for SoCal/SD.   For the 9-10 yo.  Hopefully, on that day your boy plays lights out, because they only sent 4, last year from NoCal.

Best of Luck!

We'll have five IMG Qaulifiers this year through the SCPGA.  There are also another 3 qualifiers through FCG.

kekoa, on 12 January 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

Looking at the scores from last year-  The winner of boys 7-8 shot (-13) with second place at (-12).  That is pretty nuts over 3 days.  Looking at the scorecard, length will not be a problem for my son, which I was a bit worried about at first.  Hopefully they accept his application.

That 13 under was Dunham... he has won the last four years in a row.

edit: nevermind. Just saw that you were referencing 7-8 and I was referencing 9 year olds.

Edited by leezer99, 12 January 2018 - 02:21 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors