Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

So, trying cheap balls this year

138 replies to this topic

#91 ob18

ob18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:54 PM

Tanner25, on 31 January 2018 - 08:43 PM, said:

ob18, on 31 January 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

Tanner25, on 31 January 2018 - 07:42 AM, said:

GordonBombay, on 30 January 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

I've had a hard time finding a good ball since Nike discontinued the PD series.  I like the Q-Stars but they are even spendy compared to the nikes I bought for years

Bridgestone Extra soft?

Not that I will play them but it doesn't seem stores carry them near me

They are hard to find retail. I bought them at DSG. But, they put them on clearance. There are plenty on line.

https://www.amazon.c...soft golf balls

I am good for now I have project (a) for now and maybe I'll find something to sprinkle in during the year to see what will be next

10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges

Odyssey O-Works Red #7 Tank Putter
Srixon Q-Star Tour

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 aiyyer

aiyyer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95278
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

lwestby, on 17 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

Tanner25, on 15 January 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

denj3325, on 15 January 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

I tried the Callaway Supersoft and liked them, but I don't have much experience with different balls. I moved from Top Flite to the Supersoft. I am wanting to try the Chromesoft to see if I can notice a difference

Chromesoft is great. Much more firm compared to SuperSoft. But, still soft. Also, it spins on the green. The biggest difference is price. SS is at 21 and Chromesoft 31.00-39.00 per dozen.

Supersoft 55s are $15 a dozen at Costco.
Minor correction - they are SuperHot 55 and I will be trying these as my winter balls.

#93 Fairwindsgolfer

Fairwindsgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459000
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

WhiteStake, on 14 January 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

Just went in with my brother and got 8 dozen Vice pros (4 dozen each). Five dozen gets you the best price. Unbelievably arrived in 2-3 days from Germany! Haven't played them yet, but lots of testing on YouTube verifying they perform very, very similar to ProV1's at a fraction of the price. How can you beat that?
What's your opinion on the vice pro?

#94 starrman77

starrman77

Starrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167233
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:59 PM

Can't really tell a whole of difference between the Top Flight D2+ Straight and the B330RX. Dicks had a special a while back, $7.99 for the 15 ball packs.
Ping G LST 44.5"
Ping G30 Irons 4 thru UW
Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Taylormade Rescue 19* Hybrid
Cleveland 588 56* SW
Ping Cadence Tomcat C putter 34-3/4"
B330RX Ball

#95 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133784
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

As previously posted, Callaway rep gave us all a couple sleeves of the new matte finish Superhot 70 and I tried them. I found that the knuckle off of the irons. Anyone else notice this when playing the balls that are a little lower in compression?

#96 lenman73

lenman73

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
GolfWRX Likes : 480

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

I never tried the 55's but I did the regular 70's. I actually liked this ball alot and didn't notice what you did. But as a rule, I play alot of soft balls.

#97 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

Hehateme, on 03 January 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

Have only read this post, but if you're limited to 35 a dozen the only thing off the table is the ProV line. They're awesome but NXT Tours are the biggest ripoff known to man. They're more expensive than only the ProV line (at lowest retail you can find) and they're inferior to EVERY Urethane ball I've ever played. Most Surlyn balls as well. I think a lot of folks get hung up on the brand and the "tour" part of the name. I've bought better balls for 5.99 a dozen. They're crap and I'd be ticked if my club used them as range balls. They have no redeeming features. Yes I'm triggered, lol. But don't rip people off! Millions of sheep will buy them thinking they're good balls. They're not and won't help anyone be a better golfer. They're a 10.00 a dozen ball hiding behind a brand and a "Tour" label. No one, not one single golfer ever, would use them on tour. They have single handedly made me dislike Titleist. The only club of theirs that sees any bag time is a 52* Oil Can. I used to use their ball all the time, I thought it was great. It was. It is. But their continuation of screwing over golfers that don't know any better with a 35.00 priced "Tour" ball that's worth 10 bucks? Crap. Show me a "Tour" golfer that uses anything of theirs other than the ProV1 line? I could care less other than a general "don't screw people over".

#98 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 402

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Silicon Valley Dale, on 04 February 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

Have only read this post, but if you're limited to 35 a dozen the only thing off the table is the ProV line. They're awesome but NXT Tours are the biggest ripoff known to man. They're more expensive than only the ProV line (at lowest retail you can find) and they're inferior to EVERY Urethane ball I've ever played. Most Surlyn balls as well. I think a lot of folks get hung up on the brand and the "tour" part of the name. I've bought better balls for 5.99 a dozen. They're crap and I'd be ticked if my club used them as range balls. They have no redeeming features. Yes I'm triggered, lol. But don't rip people off! Millions of sheep will buy them thinking they're good balls. They're not and won't help anyone be a better golfer. They're a 10.00 a dozen ball hiding behind a brand and a "Tour" label. No one, not one single golfer ever, would use them on tour. They have single handedly made me dislike Titleist. The only club of theirs that sees any bag time is a 52* Oil Can. I used to use their ball all the time, I thought it was great. It was. It is. But their continuation of screwing over golfers that don't know any better with a 35.00 priced "Tour" ball that's worth 10 bucks? Crap. Show me a "Tour" golfer that uses anything of theirs other than the ProV1 line? I could care less other than a general "don't screw people over".
'

You guys are getting worked up over nothing. This is a cheap ball thread. I'd hardly call 35 a cheap ball. If Titleist can get 35, so be it. There's balls like Cut and MG at a lower cost for 20.00. That will likely perform just as well.

Edited by Tanner25, 05 February 2018 - 07:32 AM.

#99 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

I will repeat again, I should have titled this thread "non premium ball" not cheap ball. Think Q star, Gamer, E6 along that line

#100 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 8668

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:39 AM

Hehateme, on 05 February 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I will repeat again, I should have titled this thread "non premium ball" not cheap ball. Think Q star, Gamer, E6 along that line

When you can get (last years) premium urethane for $20/dozen why downgrade to non premium?

Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Ping G25 or Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95 F4's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 6973

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

Nessism, on 05 February 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Hehateme, on 05 February 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

When you can get (last years) premium urethane for $20/dozen why downgrade to non premium?

I believe OP is not so much shopping for low prices as wanting to prove a point that he doesn't need a "premium" (i.e. urethane) ball.
Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.

#102 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1944

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

Can't really tell a whole of difference

I can't tell the difference either.  I'm reading about people "picking up a sleeve" (i.e. three balls) and trying them and then noticing differences between them and other balls.  Are players really this sensitive to the ball they are playing?  There is no way I can tell the difference between two balls with a couple sleeves and an afternoon.

Where do you look for these?

I've played Lady Srixion Purple (not soft, the other one) for a long time.  Its a great ball.  I can't tell the difference between golf balls very well, even in the short game.  They all feel the same off my tei3.  This could well be me just being less sensitive or having less feel, though.  I'm a decent-ish player (play in some events but never really in the hunt) and I just can't tell if I'm hitting a proV or a TP5 or a Lady Srixion or a Top Flite Gamer unless it has a label.  I can feel it with my hands, but not with my clubs.

Of course, the JPC dpcs and the engages arn't exactly blades so that could be it too.  I have thicker irons and wedges than virtually everyone I'm paired with in these competitions, so maybe having less metal makes the ball come alive more?

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 05 February 2018 - 09:51 AM.

aeroburner tp 9.5* diamana blue 53 x-flex
rescue dual 14* 19* burner 23* tour blue 65 x-flex
j40 5-pw s300
sm6 50* 55* sm5 60* s300

#103 BogeySwine

BogeySwine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483732
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

lwestby, on 17 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

Tanner25, on 15 January 2018 - 05:35 PM, said:

denj3325, on 15 January 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

I tried the Callaway Supersoft and liked them, but I don't have much experience with different balls. I moved from Top Flite to the Supersoft. I am wanting to try the Chromesoft to see if I can notice a difference

Chromesoft is great. Much more firm compared to SuperSoft. But, still soft. Also, it spins on the green. The biggest difference is price. SS is at 21 and Chromesoft 31.00-39.00 per dozen.

Supersoft 55s are $15 a dozen at Costco.
SuperHot 55! Just saw someone else had mentioned this. Sorry for repeat!

Edited by BogeySwine, 05 February 2018 - 01:14 PM.

#104 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,710 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 8668

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

pinestreetgolf, on 05 February 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

There are threads around here all the time.  There is a Srixon Z Star deal going now for $10/6 balls.  Please check around on the forum and be ready to pounce when a good deal comes up.:)
Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 & 5 fairway woods & E8 hybrid
Ping G25 or Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95 F4's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#105 I_HATE_SNOW

I_HATE_SNOW

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 436

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

pinestreetgolf, on 05 February 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

Can't really tell a whole of difference

I can't tell the difference either.  I'm reading about people "picking up a sleeve" (i.e. three balls) and trying them and then noticing differences between them and other balls.  Are players really this sensitive to the ball they are playing?  There is no way I can tell the difference between two balls with a couple sleeves and an afternoon.

I've played Lady Srixion Purple (not soft, the other one) for a long time.  Its a great ball.  I can't tell the difference between golf balls very well, even in the short game.  They all feel the same off my tei3.  This could well be me just being less sensitive or having less feel, though.  I'm a decent-ish player (play in some events but never really in the hunt) and I just can't tell if I'm hitting a proV or a TP5 or a Lady Srixion or a Top Flite Gamer unless it has a label.  I can feel it with my hands, but not with my clubs.

Of course, the JPC dpcs and the engages arn't exactly blades so that could be it too.  I have thicker irons and wedges than virtually everyone I'm paired with in these competitions, so maybe having less metal makes the ball come alive more?
Golfballs.com  Srixon 6 packs for $9.95

Edited by dirtyboy, 05 February 2018 - 03:22 PM.

#106 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 05 February 2018 - 11:57 PM

Tanner25, on 05 February 2018 - 07:31 AM, said:

Silicon Valley Dale, on 04 February 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

'

You guys are getting worked up over nothing. This is a cheap ball thread. I'd hardly call 35 a cheap ball. If Titleist can get 35, so be it. There's balls like Cut and MG at a lower cost for 20.00. That will likely perform just as well.

I've found a cause!!! lol

I can get worked up over pretty much anything. Just ignore me when I get worked into a tizzy. I'll get over it soon enough. Lol.

#107 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1819

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

hwturner17, on 05 January 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

Hehateme, on 05 January 2018 - 09:05 PM, said:

hwturner17, on 05 January 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

I remember reading every page of a thread on here about what ball everyone shot their lowest scores with and a TON of people who were low handicap or played with low handicap (low single digits) said they used cheap balls. If you are good enough to shoot good scores with a good ball, you are good enough to shoot them with a “cheap” ball.

Went 2 under today with a mix of Top Flight Gamers and Titleist Velocity's in 46 degree weather-- :)

For sure a learning curve but---

I’ve always found it kind of counter intuitive that good players that can generate plenty of spin refuse to use anything but the balls with the highest spin characteristics.

While I can only speak for myself I hardly think that is true.

Personally I want a ball that hits and STOPS when I hit a quality shot to the green. I don't want it releasing towards the back of the green nor do I want it to spin back. I want it to be within about a foot of where it hit.

Releasing and spinning back is just way more than one has to calculate into hitting a shot; as if there wasn't enough to worry about,,,,,,,,,,,
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
Titleist AVX

#108 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:29 AM

GordonBombay, on 30 January 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

I've had a hard time finding a good ball since Nike discontinued the PD series.  I like the Q-Stars but they are even spendy compared to the nikes I bought for years

One of the Target stores near me had the PD Long on clearance.  I picked up a couple boxes for $10 each.  Have enjoyed this ball in the past.  Was tempted to buy them all (another 3 boxes)

Played the 2 piece Zip last weekend in mid 30 weather.  Had more spin around the green than any other 2 piece ball I have ever played.

#109 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:15 AM

Also found the 'Noodle' to be better than NXT tour.

Edited by Need2golfalot, 06 February 2018 - 08:17 AM.

#110 WKent

WKent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469928
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:13 AM

Anybody play the Top Flight D2+ Feel?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#111 pinestreetgolf

pinestreetgolf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435010
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:butlerj_dickinson
GolfWRX Likes : 1944

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:41 AM

nsxguy, on 06 February 2018 - 12:16 AM, said:

Personally I want a ball that hits and STOPS when I hit a quality shot to the green. I don't want it releasing towards the back of the green nor do I want it to spin back. I want it to be within about a foot of where it hit.

Releasing and spinning back is just way more than one has to calculate into hitting a shot; as if there wasn't enough to worry about,,,,,,,,,,,

I totally agree with this.  Its also why I stopped playing the PM grind.  Nothing is worse than when you hit what you think is a great shot and too much spin kills it dead.  This would happen all the time with the PM grind wedge - the thing spins the ball like a dryer.  On hole 1 in an event I hit a little pitch from back left of the green, expecting it to land and roll down a steep incline to a hole.  It grabbed on the incline and just died - 20 feet short.  Callaway soft and PM.  Wanted to scream.

I also pulled a Kyle Stanley once in the same round, hitting a 9 iron into a green and watching in horror as it hit near the pin on the back left tier (hole 5 at tpc louisiana) and then spun backwards and left off the green, down a hill, and onto a gravel path.

I hate hitting spinny balls.  The Srixon XV are great balls for anybody who doesn't like spinning the ball.  Its neat to be able to spin it sometimes and gets "ahhhs" from playing partners when it hop/grabs but it sucks for score.  You never know when you'll spin off, and when you spin off you get stuck in the worst positions on the golf course (because no designer thinks you'll fall into the bunker from the green rolling <1 mph).

I just want a ball and a wedge that always does the same thing.  i don't really care what that thing is, i can adapt to it, i just hate surprise check ups more than anything.  I can deal with bad shots, but when i hit the exact shot that is in my head to a precise landing spot and then the spin is off it drives me nuts.

I'm not good enough to "control spin" so I can't do much about it.  I can put more spin on a ball, but I don't have the skill to play a super-spinny set up and then back it off on purpose. I find it 10x easier to play a low-spin set up like the lady srixon purples or the xv and step on the spin on purpose than play a high spin set up and back it off on purpose.

Edited by pinestreetgolf, 06 February 2018 - 10:43 AM.

aeroburner tp 9.5* diamana blue 53 x-flex
rescue dual 14* 19* burner 23* tour blue 65 x-flex
j40 5-pw s300
sm6 50* 55* sm5 60* s300

#112 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 693

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:42 PM

pinestreetgolf, on 06 February 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

nsxguy, on 06 February 2018 - 12:16 AM, said:

I totally agree with this.  Its also why I stopped playing the PM grind.  Nothing is worse than when you hit what you think is a great shot and too much spin kills it dead.  This would happen all the time with the PM grind wedge - the thing spins the ball like a dryer.  On hole 1 in an event I hit a little pitch from back left of the green, expecting it to land and roll down a steep incline to a hole.  It grabbed on the incline and just died - 20 feet short.  Callaway soft and PM.  Wanted to scream.

I also pulled a Kyle Stanley once in the same round, hitting a 9 iron into a green and watching in horror as it hit near the pin on the back left tier (hole 5 at tpc louisiana) and then spun backwards and left off the green, down a hill, and onto a gravel path.

I hate hitting spinny balls.  The Srixon XV are great balls for anybody who doesn't like spinning the ball.  Its neat to be able to spin it sometimes and gets "ahhhs" from playing partners when it hop/grabs but it sucks for score.  You never know when you'll spin off, and when you spin off you get stuck in the worst positions on the golf course (because no designer thinks you'll fall into the bunker from the green rolling <1 mph).

I just want a ball and a wedge that always does the same thing.  i don't really care what that thing is, i can adapt to it, i just hate surprise check ups more than anything.  I can deal with bad shots, but when i hit the exact shot that is in my head to a precise landing spot and then the spin is off it drives me nuts.

I'm not good enough to "control spin" so I can't do much about it.  I can put more spin on a ball, but I don't have the skill to play a super-spinny set up and then back it off on purpose. I find it 10x easier to play a low-spin set up like the lady srixon purples or the xv and step on the spin on purpose than play a high spin set up and back it off on purpose.
I play the XV for this reason. It spins well enough and when I need it too without having to change ball flight to take spin off when I need too.  

That and the XV is the best wind ball every created by man
Cobra F7+ - Stiff
   Cobra F7 - 5/6 set at 17*
  Ping 22 degree Hybrid
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Callaway Forged 52 degree
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
  Chrome Soft Truvis / TF Gamer

#113 Hehateme

Hehateme

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

Gonna give these a try-- the struggle continues

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180320_191735.jpeg

#114 ob18

ob18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

Hehateme, on 20 March 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

Gonna give these a try-- the struggle continues

I'd love to play these but I'm trying to keep the max I'd spend per dozen under $25............have cut white & grey to try this summer............which with another nor'easter currently underway I have no clue when I'll actually get a round in
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid

Srixon Q-Star Tour

#115 JeddAlcalde

JeddAlcalde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486662
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:31 PM

Wilson Duo gives you straighter shots and enough durability. It should be on top of this list for brand new balls.  Otherwise, wait for the 4+ quality balls from birdieball ebay seller and you'll get pro v1s at around $1 each.

#116 lil'mike

lil'mike

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436656
  • Ebay ID:mrgolf2k

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

I hear great things about the Cally SuperSoft which I haven't played but did try the Srixon Soft Feel and those weren't bad.

I play the Chrome Soft which I buy 5A and only spend around the $20-23 a dozen depending on the promo code I get.  I also have some dozens of the Nike RZN blue tour platinum "practice" balls that were sold/clearance at Dunham's that were about $8 a dozen.  Then since I found a Bridgestone Precept PowerDrive ball on the course last year and used it for nine holes, I picked up a few dozen of them to try as they are not a bad ball and can be had for around $5 a dozen.  This was the ball the Home Depot had in their stores awhile back.

#117 Chip32

Chip32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463496
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

Q star tour for $30

#118 om18v

om18v

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384268
  • Handicap:99+
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

For cheap balls, check FREE thread under "play it forward" forum.  Ends today at midnight est.

#119 judgemartin

judgemartin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36437
  • Ebay ID:judge46
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:13 AM

I vote for Snell. Excellent ball at a reasonable price.  As a 2 hcp you will be pleased.

Edited by judgemartin, 21 March 2018 - 08:25 AM.

#120 ob18

ob18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:15 AM

Chip32, on 21 March 2018 - 07:55 AM, said:

Q star tour for $30

Found this to be terrible for me, have a dozen just collecting dust in my garage.

10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid

Srixon Q-Star Tour

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors