Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Leupold Gx-5i3 locking on wrong target

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daverain1

daverain1

CT Birdieman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71605
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hi,

I just picked up the Gx-5i3 and generally love it, it's fast and red display is great.  One issue I've had is its locking on the wrong object - was on a par 3 Saturday shooting the flag (no reflector) and it kept locking on player on green behind the flag - I'd get beep and locked distance.  I assume he was wearing something reflective.  I'v had a similar issue with something on a hill behind the green - I couldn't shoot the flag because it kept locking on the hill.

Both times I knew it wasn't the flag because it beeped and locked (and distance was wrong, I have GPS too.).  I couldn't sweep the flag without it locking.    This is my 2nd Leupold (upgraded from GX-2i) and never had the issue before.  Has anyone had the same experience or can suggest a work-around?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Fred99x

Fred99x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98718
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:09 AM

Try not using scan mode. I found much better results by pressing the power button to turn unit on, then when cross hairs are on the pin, give a quick press of the power button again. When holding the power on, scan mode, I would get changing distances and sometimes it would not be the pin distance.

#3 ecfritts

ecfritts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86369
  • Ebay ID:ecfritts
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Not to hijack your thread but I have always used a Bushnell range finder until recently.  I picked up a Leupold GX-3i and I find it difficult to see pins though it.  I bought it used but it just seems dark when looking through the lens.  I was constantly unable to get it to give me yardages and locking onto the wrong thing.  With my Bushnell everything is very light when looking through the lens...basically just like looking at the flag with your naked eye.  The Leupold just seems very dark and hard to even see the flag from longer yardages (like 175-225).  I'm just wondering if this is normal for Leupold range finders.
913 D3
M4 - 15*
910H - 21*
Nike VPC - KBS $ Taper
VokeyTVD's
Scotty Super Rat

#4 Fred99x

Fred99x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98718
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:13 PM

I had the 3i and had no such issues viewing pins  through the viewfinder.  I also didn't have problems getting distances but as far as locking onto the pin that all depends on the quality of prisms on the pins. It definitely isn't 100 percent fool proof.  I really liked the 3i and the only reason I don't have it anymore is I wanted the slope version of Leupold.

#5 ecfritts

ecfritts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, I will continue to try it & hope that was just me trying to get used to the new equipment.

913 D3
M4 - 15*
910H - 21*
Nike VPC - KBS $ Taper
VokeyTVD's
Scotty Super Rat

#6 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 666

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

I had both the issues mentioned here with my 3i something or other. It would lock on the wrong distance (often way shorter than the pin even though there were no objects between me and the pin). I also had the darkening issue, as did a caddy I played with last summer. My buddy has had the same issue with giving false readings, too.

Leupold, to their credit, replaced the unit free of charge, and actually upgraded me to a higher model.

I really appreciate Leupold's customer service, but IMO the quality of their products is horrible.

Edited by DLiver, 14 January 2018 - 08:25 AM.

#7 ecfritts

ecfritts

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

It's gotten really good reviews but when it's getting dark out or overcast it's hard to see pins at a longer distance.  I pull out my old Bushnell & bang...I get a yardage quickly & accurately.
913 D3
M4 - 15*
910H - 21*
Nike VPC - KBS $ Taper
VokeyTVD's
Scotty Super Rat

#8 daverain1

daverain1

CT Birdieman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71605
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

I’ll try not scanning. I’ll also agree that Leupold can be dark, mine has a dark green tint and on an overcast winter day/low light it’s a challenge to see target. I assume the tint is by design and there’s not a problem with my unit.  

Just to clarify re: Fredxx reply - there’s no problem locking onto prisms. The problem is locking onto objects that aren’t prisms.   This is my third Leupold and the first I’ve experienced this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors