Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is it possible for a weekend golfer to get near scratch?

163 replies to this topic

#31 gentles

gentles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18758
GolfWRX Likes : 243

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

OP - as you can tell from the replies its going to be a real challenge...you're certainly not the first on this forum to ask that exact question, but all you can do is give it your best.

If you are going to be a "scratch", you will have to be getting everything you possibly can out of your game. I've got buddies with so much talent who waste a bunch of shots and can still maintain a scratch...I've also got buddies who slap it around but make good decisions and avoid big mistakes...you're going to have to be the latter type of golfer.

I'll recommend three resources that might be helpful to you:
  • Buy "The Practice Manual" by Adam Young. It is dense, and theory based, but will absolutely help you get the most out of your limited practice time. Read this and you will understand what improving actually means.The most important part is to understand the difference between differential, variable, transference and technical practice and being clear about what you're trying to achieve
  • Adam Young also has a video series called "the strike plan" which focuses on building skills to improve strike. No matter how you swing it, building the ability to control strike is critical to improving
  • Buy a copy of "Lowest Score Wins" (google it), and a copy of Richie Hunt's Pro Golf Synopsis. Learning about strategy is a no brainer if you want to avoid wasting shots. These resources (as well as Scott Fawcetts DECADE program) help you understand how to "think" and make decisions on a golf course. The biggest light bulb for me here was the idea that a golf swing produces a shotgun shot pattern rather than a rifle, and strategy is about deciding which shotgun to shoot and where to aim it.
You can get everything mentioned above for less than $100...much better value than a new wedge or maybe even a golf lesson if you ask me.

One other thing not really mentioned elsewhere in this thread is to find the best players at your club and play with them regularly...doing this alone will make a massive difference. My game regressed by about 3-4 shots when I formed a regular group with guys on 15+ handicaps. Hard to stay sharp when you don't have the pressure of competition to drive you on.

All the best OP, hope this helps!

Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 | Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Taylormade M2 DF Tour Issue 14* | Aldila Tour Blue 85x
Callaway Apex 18* | Aldila Tour Blue 85x
Titleist 716 TMB 4 | DG AMT X100
Titleist 716 CB 5-P| DG AMT X100
Ping Glide 50/54/58 | DG S400
Ping Milled Anser 5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 northgolf

northgolf

Pork

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 1217

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Potentially, you could be a plus ten.

However, potential is a curse for one never knows the work that might be entailed in living up to that potential.

The other side of the curse is minus 8 is your best, and how then do you value the time and effort spent persuing scratch?

Short and quick, if you enjoy it then do it, but if your goal is a number be prepared.
If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun.  - Zippy the Pinhead

#33 howellhandmade

howellhandmade

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240097
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

One of my daughter's batting coaches (an Olympic softball player), had the best advice: focus on the process, forget the outcome.

If wanting to get to scratch motivates you to work harder and find time that might otherwise be wasted, ok. But if it adds stress and keeps you from enjoying your best efforts, see above.

#34 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 29,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16779

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:05 AM

View Posthowellhandmade, on 02 January 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

One of my daughter's batting coaches (an Olympic softball player), had the best advice: focus on the process, forget the outcome.

If wanting to get to scratch motivates you to work harder and find time that might otherwise be wasted, ok. But if it adds stress and keeps you from enjoying your best efforts, see above.

I found that focusing on the outcome can actually hinder one's ability, as opposed to focusing on the process.
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58/62
Callaway "O" Works #7

#35 Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371925
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

I started playing golf when I turned 30. Within 2 years I broke 80 for the first time. 2 years after that and I havenít been above a single digit handicap. Now 14 years later I am a 2.3 (as of right now).

Here is what people donít tell you. It is easier going from a 30 handicapper to a 9 than it is from a 9 to a scratch. That is undeniably a fact. The margin of error is much thinner.

My question to you is this- why do you care so much about being a scratch? For me it would be fine, but itís 2 strokes and those two strokes mean a lot more effort than I can give.

As for kids let me give you some advice (especially if you have a son)- start taking the kids out for golf early. I play every weekend with my 9 year old son. He likes it a little and my wife cherished the break. We only play 9...but itís golf and with my son.

#36 howellhandmade

howellhandmade

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240097
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:41 AM

View PostSean2, on 03 January 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

I found that focusing on the outcome can actually hinder one's ability, as opposed to focusing on the process.

Yes, most people do. Sometimes motivation can be hard to sort out. But generally, as the hitting coach meant, if you put in the time getting stronger/faster and hone your stroke and study pitchers, you'll hit to the best of ability, and if you're capable of hitting homers, they will come. If you try to hit a home run, you'll likely tense up and miss the cue that lets you sit on a changeup and vaporize it. Or not get the base hit that wins the game. The consequences of misplaced focus are obvious in golf, which is why it's such a test of self. It's why surgeons won't operate on loved ones. I see it constantly as a musician and teacher. "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle is a good book. Several factors have to align for superior performance to arise. In golf, I know that I'm lacking most of them. I started late, I was never a gifted athlete (other than my hands), I have not had masterful coaching (other than a couple of lessons), I have never had limitless time or money to devote to the game. But If I do my best and enjoy myself, who knows?

#37 Orlandogolfguru

Orlandogolfguru

OrlandoGolfGuru

• 1,311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299712
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 647

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

As stated it varies per individual. It’s a sport. There is talent and practice. Some need to play and practice more than others. I’ve seen naturals in baseball who can hit anything. Kids make tons of free throws while others have to stay on the court all night. Totally depends on a hundred variables including your natural talent, current skill set, capacity to learn and adapt, and everything in between. Quick answer?  Sure you can. Better answer?  Doubtful. Have faith though!
TaylorMade M4 10.5 Speeder Evo 2 Tour Spec
TaylorMade M2 HL 16.5 FK
TaylorMade M4 19 Speeder Evo 3
Ping i200 Nippon NS PRO
Titleist SM6 54 58
MannKrafted OGG 1/1
B330 RXS
Sun Mountain

#38 Dave D

Dave D

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126808
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1305

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

I'm uk scratch and average playing once a week in a year if I'm lucky. probably practice at the golf course the same.

I do however spend 10 minutes a couple of times a week hitting some putts in doors and doing some slow-mo practice swings.

It's doable but as others have said it depends on a lot of factors.

I'm fortunate that I have very good hand eye ball coordination, I'm generally very good at sports that involve hitting a ball with a stick, cricket, pool, table tennis
Driver: Taylormade 2017 M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Taylormade 2017 M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g
4 iron: Callaway X Utility Prototype 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5 - PW: Callaway 2013 X Forged w/ PXI 6.0
Wedges: Mizuno T7 Satin 50*, 54* & 60* w/ Dynamic Gold Wedge
Putter: Odyssey Protype 2 34" (Custom Raybon on order)
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 29,562 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16779

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

View Posthowellhandmade, on 03 January 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostSean2, on 03 January 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Yes, most people do. Sometimes motivation can be hard to sort out. But generally, as the hitting coach meant, if you put in the time getting stronger/faster and hone your stroke and study pitchers, you'll hit to the best of ability, and if you're capable of hitting homers, they will come. If you try to hit a home run, you'll likely tense up and miss the cue that lets you sit on a changeup and vaporize it. Or not get the base hit that wins the game. The consequences of misplaced focus are obvious in golf, which is why it's such a test of self. It's why surgeons won't operate on loved ones. I see it constantly as a musician and teacher. "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle is a good book. Several factors have to align for superior performance to arise. In golf, I know that I'm lacking most of them. I started late, I was never a gifted athlete (other than my hands), I have not had masterful coaching (other than a couple of lessons), I have never had limitless time or money to devote to the game. But If I do my best and enjoy myself, who knows?

Me too. I lowered my HI 5 points this past season (12 to 7), and broke par for the first time. Most of that had to do with focusing on the process not the outcome. I am very good at criticizing myself, so this has been good for me. Now, instead of getting upset over a bad shot, hole, or round. I simply move on and focus on my next shot. I also found a big part is trusting your swing. I used to change my swing weekly, lol, now I have one fundamental swing that only needs to be tweaked. So instead of playing golf swing I started playing golf.

As recreational golfers we are going to hit our share of poor shots...it's inevitable. It's how we deal with those shots that is telling.
Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58/62
Callaway "O" Works #7

#40 fried121

fried121

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489000
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

I believe that it is absolutely possible, and am trying to do something similar as well.  The first thing I would suggest is to begin tracking stats:  GIR, Scrambling, Putts, etc. to give you a better idea where the leaks are in your game.  

Without seeing that, my best guess is probably the fact that your short game is what keeps you from being a scratch golfer.  I would transition your practice time almost exclusively to shots >100 yards and focus on lag putting.  I believe Dave Pelz has a short game and putting exam that has gone around the forums a bit.  That may be the place to start in developing a better short game.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1761

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

I'm a weekend player and would like to be low single. I'm taking a multi-year long view where  process is the focus and find myself far less uptight about scores than I once did. The patience needed is bottomless. But small victories from the effort make it a lot fun. If it's a goal you want to pursue, do spend effort on distilling where you go wrong and map specific way to improvement. Make every practice count towards something. Even drill down and make every ball you hit count. It's real easy to get lost thinking all's good if you just show up and bang. Mind set in practice and game mode are skills that need as much attention as your swing faults and the two are distinct to themselves. Groove those too. I wasted a lot of time/effort not being cognizant of them. Got better yield for effort with them in mind.

#42 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 21360

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

I was scratch last year playing mostly weekends.

I don't think it's too crazy if you are playing both weekend days and hitting the range for a good session at least one night a week after work.

Even in Canada you can play 45-50 rounds a season just on weekends , that plus practice (maybe a one hour session on Wednesday and some small work after rounds) you can do it. I mean as mentioned I did it last year
Ping G LS Tec w/ Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Ping G20 17h w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
Callaway MD3 Milled 60 w/S300
Odyssey O-Works #7 Red Tank

#43 00bolt

00bolt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 198

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

one thing I forgot to mention... I recently (well a few months ago) bought the Arccos GPS sensors that fit into every one of my clubs. So I have logged probably the last 10+ rounds I have played. It keeps all my GIR, putts, approach, blah blah and my club distances, etc.  Probably all the stats I would ever want or need.  But what I think I have found to be the most useful is the shot tracking. I can go back to every hole I have ever played and look at every shot I took, where it went, how far, and see where I missed, etc.

For example, the last round I played this past weekend I shot an 83 and had 2 doubles (zero penalties though, used the same ball the entire round).  There was some good mixed in with the bad though. I had 7 up and downs which is probably somewhere around a career best for me.  But even with the 7 up and downs... I went back to all 18 holes and counted up every time I was around 100 yards and didnt get in the hole in 3 shots (for example, 1 shot onto green, then 2 putted. Or possibly missed green but then didnt get up and down). I then also counted every time I was somewhere around 20-30 yards from the hole and didnt get up and down. and I counted 3 putts.  And what I found was I left 8-9 strokes out in just these areas. So basically, if i could get on the green and 2 putt from 100 yards, get up and down just 50% of the time from 20-30 yards and eliminate 3 putts... i should be able to save 4-5 strokes right there and put me at the 4 handicap are I want to be.  And mind you, this was in a round where I actually did well in up and downs already.  Normally I am shooting somewhere in this same score, but not as many up and downs.
Seems like this is pretty typical round for me.  I usually drive it pretty decent and far and typically hit my 3 wood, hybrid and long irons well.  Its when I get to that 100 yard mark, where i feel like there is no reason to miss a green... i often find myself indeed missing it and grinding to get up and down.  and then when I am just off the green 20-30 yards, i find myself all too often struggling to get up and down consistently.

I am going to really concentrate my practice this year on my short approach and around the green areas. I really believe this is where i make the most mistakes and can make up the most ground (in terms of scoring).

Edited by 00bolt, 03 January 2018 - 09:54 AM.

IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
Titleist 716 TMB 3-4
Titleist 716 CB 5-7
Titleist 716 MB 8-PW
Miura Y Grind 50° K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

#44 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 10,512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 6611

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

View Post00bolt, on 03 January 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

one thing I forgot to mention... I recently (well a few months ago) bought the Arccos GPS sensors that fit into every one of my clubs. So I have logged probably the last 10+ rounds I have played. It keeps all my GIR, putts, approach, blah blah and my club distances, etc.  Probably all the stats I would ever want or need.  But what I think I have found to be the most useful is the shot tracking. I can go back to every hole I have ever played and look at every shot I took, where it went, how far, and see where I missed, etc.

For example, the last round I played this past weekend I shot an 83 and had 2 doubles (zero penalties though, used the same ball the entire round).  There was some good mixed in with the bad though. I had 7 up and downs which is probably somewhere around a career best for me.  But even with the 7 up and downs... I went back to all 18 holes and counted up every time I was around 100 yards and didnt get in the hole in 3 shots (for example, 1 shot onto green, then 2 putted. Or possibly missed green but then didnt get up and down). I then also counted every time I was somewhere around 20-30 yards from the hole and didnt get up and down. and I counted 3 putts.  And what I found was I left 8-9 strokes out in just these areas. So basically, if i could get on the green and 2 putt from 100 yards, get up and down just 50% of the time from 20-30 yards and eliminate 3 putts... i should be able to save 4-5 strokes right there and put me at the 4 handicap are I want to be.  And mind you, this was in a round where I actually did well in up and downs already.  Seems like this is pretty typical round for me.  I usually drive it pretty decent and far and typically hit my 3 wood, hybrid and long irons well.  Its when I get to that 100 yard mark, where i feel like there is no reason to miss a green... i often find myself indeed missing it and grinding to get up and down.  and then when I am just off the green 20-30 yards, i find myself all too often struggling to get up and down consistently.

I am going to really concentrate my practice this year on my short approach and around the green areas. I really believe this is where i make the most mistakes and can make up the most ground (in terms of scoring).

20-30 yards is a big miss from 100 yards. Are you by any chance taking a club you have to swing full out for that yardage. Maybe take an extra club and really focus on smoothing it. That 100 yards and in needs to be giving you scoring opportunities more often than not as opposed to really scrambling to save that par.

Which is pretty much what you just said. ��.  Good luck!
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#45 00bolt

00bolt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Sorry, i dont mean i necessarily miss the green by 30 yards from a 100 yard shot. I just mean those 2 distances are where I need the most work.  maybe not exactly 20-30 yards... could be 10 yards or 8 yards. really anywhere from just off the green up to 20-30 yards.  but it doesnt mean this shot came from a 100 yard shot. It could have come from a 180 yard approach or a layup on a par 5 or whatever the case may be.  I just simply meant that 100 yard shots are not as accurate as I would like. and when I am just off the green, somewhere under 30 yards.... I am not getting it up and down as often as I think I should.  not necessarily on the same hole as a result of each other.

Titleist 716 TMB 3-4
Titleist 716 CB 5-7
Titleist 716 MB 8-PW
Scotty Newport 2.5

#46 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 10,512 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

View Post00bolt, on 03 January 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

Sorry, i dont mean i necessarily miss the green by 30 yards from a 100 yard shot. I just mean those 2 distances are where I need the most work.  maybe not exactly 20-30 yards... could be 10 yards or 8 yards. really anywhere from just off the green up to 20-30 yards.  but it doesnt mean this shot came from a 100 yard shot. It could have come from a 180 yard approach or a layup on a par 5 or whatever the case may be.  I just simply meant that 100 yard shots are not as accurate as I would like. and when I am just off the green, somewhere under 30 yards.... I am not getting it up and down as often as I think I should.  not necessarily on the same hole as a result of each other.

Gotcha. Sorry about that, I didn’t read it right. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on what to work on.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#47 Barracuda

Barracuda

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352033
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 03 January 2018 - 10:04 AM, said:

View Post00bolt, on 03 January 2018 - 09:59 AM, said:

Gotcha. Sorry about that, I didn’t read it right. Sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on what to work on.
I play on Saturdays, and maybe one extra day a month during the week. I've been scratch or near scratch for over 5 years now (I'm in my 40s). I don't take classes, but I understand my swing and spend at least an hour a week on a foresight simulator with HMT.

Since working on the HMT, I picked about 10mph ballspeed, from 150mph to 160mph, swing speed is around 108mph.

#48 00bolt

00bolt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

i think so at least.  I posted another thread a while back about short game. And to be fair, over the years I have always worked on swing mechanics and hitting the ball long and straight.  I think like alot of amateurs, I believed that if i could just hit the ball a little bit longer or a little bit straighter i would improve. And although that did happen to an extent... it came at an expense of my short game. I guess in the back of my mind subconsciously, i always just put short game on the back burner thinking it was easy or i could work on it later because its a more simple stroke. so over the 10 years I have been playing, i have almost never practiced 100 yards and in.  its always pounding balls on the range with irons or woods and working on my mechanics.  

so who knows... i dont want to doubt my own abilities... but at the same time, I do doubt me getting to scratch with the amount of time I have to dedicate to golf.  But I do think I can get down to a 3-4 range with just a few adjustments and some work this year.

Titleist 716 TMB 3-4
Titleist 716 CB 5-7
Titleist 716 MB 8-PW
Scotty Newport 2.5

#49 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 10,512 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

In regards to the actual handicap number (not how a person actually plays), the course rating and slop will be a big determiner in where that number ends up.

When we played our back tees regularly my cap was much lower than when me moved up to the men’s tees.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#50 dornstar

dornstar

Go Buckeyes!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118294
  • Handicap:+2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1229

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Definitely possible.... if you have a scratch game in you.

Not everyone does. Just a simple fact.

D - Callaway XR Pro 9* (10*) - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
3W - Callaway X Hot Pro 15* - Aldila NV 85
2H - Cleveland 2009 18* - Aldila NV 85
4-GW - TaylorMade RSi-2 - Project X 6.5
SW/LW - Vokey SM5 M-Grind
P - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 counter-balanced

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 00bolt

00bolt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

agreed.... I pretty much play the back tees now 90% of the time. My main 2 playing buddies are both better than me (lower single handicaps) but we do have one guy that plays with us that is a mid 20s handicap and when he plays with us sometimes we will play the mens tees.  like i said originally, prior to 2017 i was probably in the 12-14 handicap range. I would shoot mid to high 80s rounds from the mens tees.  this year, I got down to an 8 playing from the back tees. So although my actual score number itself hasnt gone down all that much (mid/high 80s to low/mid 80s), my handicap itself dropped about 4-6 strokes.  But I am playing tougher and longer courses per say.  My goal is to play these same back tees but get down to the 4 handicap range by the end of the year so that I am shooting in the 70s more often.  If i were to be perfectly honest, that is all i really want. Is to go out and shoot in the 70s from the back tees fairly consistently.  I dont have to shoot par or break par, but just a mid to high 70s round more often than not and alot less 80s rounds, and I am a happy golfer.

Titleist 716 TMB 3-4
Titleist 716 CB 5-7
Titleist 716 MB 8-PW
Scotty Newport 2.5

#52 naval2006

naval2006

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265866
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 320

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

I’ve known very well four scratch players. I’ve played with them dozens of rounds. What they all have in common is they all started as kids, they reached scratch very young, they are extremely gifted athletes (especially hand eye coordination), they’ve been scratch for years and they have become golf machines.

I don’t know if reaching scratch should be a serious goal. You may get obsessed with it and you’d be missing the key point: playing your best golf and enjoying it.

#53 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:lowS
GolfWRX Likes : 2670

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:36 PM

View Post00bolt, on 02 January 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I always like hearing other people’s perspectives and success stories. Again, being scratch has never been an thought of mine. I just never thought I had the time to commit to what it would take to get there. Now shooting a scratch round is definitely on my golf bucket list and I think is more realistic.

That said. I’m not going to give myself false hope and go for scratch or bust. Again this was just a friend talking to me and got me thinking. My ultimate golf goal is really just to get to that 2-5 range.  I really and truly believe I am right on the cusp of being there. It’s mainly my short game from 100 and in keeping me from shooting those last few strokes better each round.

One thing someone mentioned earlier was about having fun and letting the scores come. I will honestly say this is absolutely NOT how I play golf lol.  Mentally every round I play I am going out with the sole purpose of shooting my best round ever and lowering my handicap. Absolutely not how Golf should be played I’m guessing. Seems like this kind of attitude sets myself up for failure quite often and if and when I do hit a bad shot or have a bad hole. It really carries over and more often than not compounds because I’ve now got the mindset that the round is wasted. I can’t shoot my best ever now. Blah blah. And I get upset. Not the throwing clubs and cussing upset. But inside I’m an atomic bomb.

Carding the best round is NOT likely if that is the focus.  Why?  Because it keeps you from thinking about what needs to happen when you're over the ball and must execute proper mechanics.
One of the reasons golf is so challenging for everyone is the need for attention to all sorts of details before addressing the ball, processing them quickly, then executing the shot.  Assessing what went wrong, and making sure you don't repeat that error.   That's how we improve.

Last weekend playing a money game, I hit a poor 2nd shot towards the green, because I lost my focus.  That is a common mistake for me, and why I am not scratch.  The ball landed on an elevated 7ft high knoll 30 yards short of the green, facing a tight front pin and greens were running about 11.  Both guys thought they had me.  I then hit a nice high flop shot to 1' tap-in to save par.  They looked at each other and shook their heads.

If I had been angry at myself for the poorly executed 2nd shot that left me on that knoll, I would have been distracted and not pulled off the more difficult 3rd shot that saved par and kept my game moving positively forward.   If I chunked it or hit it too hard, and 2 putted, that 2nd shot mistake could have cost me 2-3 additional strokes, as opposed to saving par and losing no strokes.

Golf is always about seeing the needed shot, staying focused so you can execute that shot.  Shot by shot till you walk off 18.  :beach:

Edited by Pepperturbo, 03 January 2018 - 02:39 PM.

Titleist 917D2 10.5, Fujikura Fuel 60 "S" Tour Spec
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Original D.Blueboard 83 x5ct "S"
Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, PX Flighted 6.0
Titleist 716CB 3-PW, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 F-52*, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 M-58*, DGS200
SC California Monterey
ProV1x

#54 bigfatant

bigfatant

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459380
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:leongwaipak
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

View Post00bolt, on 03 January 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

Thanks for this post. I was considering the Arccos sensors so that has given me some motivation to get them too.

And your the point about the getting in <100 yards is so true. This was put so succinctly by Gary Player on this video from Golf Monthly Magazie at around 3 minutes.
https://m.facebook.c...267350008/&_rdr

Edited by bigfatant, 03 January 2018 - 06:02 PM.

Do you really want to know WITB? Oh ok (talk about peer pressure!)
My favourite clubs I use sometimes (A$480 total):
Srixon Z745 10.5degree driver Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $100
Srixon F45 15 degree fairway wood Stiff flex $150
Srixon H45 18 degree 3 hybrid Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $75
Srixon i302 3 - SW RIfle 5.0 Shafts $135
Bridgestown 60 degree lob wedge $20
Odyssey Two ball Fang (Gift)

#55 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 3357

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:30 PM

View Postnaval2006, on 03 January 2018 - 12:19 PM, said:

I’ve known very well four scratch players. I’ve played with them dozens of rounds. What they all have in common is they all started as kids, they reached scratch very young, they are extremely gifted athletes (especially hand eye coordination), they’ve been scratch for years and they have become golf machines.

I don’t know if reaching scratch should be a serious goal. You may get obsessed with it and you’d be missing the key point: playing your best golf and enjoying it.

Lots and lots of scratch golfers never played as kids. I will grant that most adult scratch golfers did start as kids, but many (myself included) did not. It's definitely possible to get to scratch (or well below) starting the game in your twenties or later.

#56 Obee

Obee

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72306
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 3357

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 03 January 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

In regards to the actual handicap number (not how a person actually plays), the course rating and slop will be a big determiner in where that number ends up.

When we played our back tees regularly my cap was much lower than when me moved up to the men’s tees.

That's interesting, and possibly says more about you than the system. I've played hundreds of courses over the last 25 years, and I've been scratch or below at pretty much every single one of them regardless of the rating/slope. My former home course was 6570, 72.0/132 and I was a 0 to +3 there. Now I'm 50 years old and I'm a 1 to +2 at my current home course (7,180, 75.8/147).

I've always found the rating/slope system to be pretty accurate, though there are some courses that are poorly rated, for sure.

#57 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+1.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1306

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Range 3x a week with a good practice schedule and playing on the weekends......  You could get to single digits.  Scratch?  You'd need to play a bit more... maybe mix in a few 9 holes after work when the days get longer.
Callaway Epic 9* HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
Callaway Rogue SZ 15* HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0
Callaway Epic 3 hybrid
Callaway X Forged (2018) 4-pw Project X 6.0
Callaway MD4 51s/55c/60x
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5

#58 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Legend

• 10,512 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

View PostObee, on 03 January 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

View Postdeadsolid...shank, on 03 January 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

That's interesting, and possibly says more about you than the system. I've played hundreds of courses over the last 25 years, and I've been scratch or below at pretty much every single one of them regardless of the rating/slope. My former home course was 6570, 72.0/132 and I was a 0 to +3 there. Now I'm 50 years old and I'm a 1 to +2 at my current home course (7,180, 75.8/147).

I've always found the rating/slope system to be pretty accurate, though there are some courses that are poorly rated, for sure.

We have a three stroke difference in rating between the two tees. About 600 yards. But 100 of that comes on one hole. While it might really play three shots more difficult further back, on average I probably shoot almost as many low numbers from the tips as from the men's.  And when you take the best 10, that average will probably be within a stroke of my average from the men's tees.  But it's going to move the handicap probably a couple of strokes at least.

I really don't know if that is a rating issue or not. I tend to believe it is but I'm far from knowledgeable about it. Just was what we saw happening.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#59 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
GolfWRX Likes : 2488

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

View PostDave D, on 03 January 2018 - 08:01 AM, said:

I'm uk scratch and average playing once a week in a year if I'm lucky. probably practice at the golf course the same.

I do however spend 10 minutes a couple of times a week hitting some putts in doors and doing some slow-mo practice swings.

It's doable but as others have said it depends on a lot of factors.

I'm fortunate that I have very good hand eye ball coordination, I'm generally very good at sports that involve hitting a ball with a stick, cricket, pool, table tennis

The value of your last sentence cant be overstated.

#60 llewol007

llewol007

4KidsGolfer

• 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 795

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

It is possible but going to be a difficult task. See even the Tour pro's struggle and they have swing coaches and live this game 24/7. If you are looking to improve, take in more practice rounds versus just hitting on the range, very purposeful in my opinion and much more realistic to brain memory versus hitting at a static flag from the same hitting bay. That and focusing on your short game is what separates the good from the great.

TBD
2014 Aeroburner Kiyoshi Gold
2014 MB 4-Pw Aerotech Steelfiber 110SS
JDM Tour preferred 52/56 Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
Taylormade Long Hosel
Tour preferredX/Lethals

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors