Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is it possible for a weekend golfer to get near scratch?


163 replies to this topic

#1 00bolt

00bolt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Joined: 03/10/2009
  • Location:Mansfield, Texas
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

This is now my 10th year to be golfing. Took up golf when I was 27 and the bug bit me almost immediately.  However, with a wife, kids, job, etc. Its never been easy for me to play more than once per week (usually on weekends).  And lucky to get to the range at all.

Prior to 2017, I had gotten myself to a mid/high 80s shooter playing from the Men's tees.  Then this year in 2017, I committed to working on my swing and really trying to improve.  my goal was to just be a consistent 70s shooter. That is really all I ever wanted from golf was to shoot in the 70s on good days, and maybe a low 80s on a bad day.

So over the past year I have really worked hard on my swing. I usually go to the range 3+ times a week. Maybe only for 30 mins or so, but better than nothing.  I have a net and a mat in my garage. And I am constantly videoing my swing and trying to learn about the swing and improve.  I still only play about once a week though.  my scores didnt really get that much better, but my ballstriking and my swing mechanics in general improved 100%.  I now shoot a VERY consistent 81 to 84 range almost every time I play.  I did break 80 for first time ever in 2017.  But to be fair, I now play the back tees nearly every round instead of the Mens tees.  So that is probably worth a couple strokes.  My handicap is the lowest its ever been at 8.2

So now here it is 2018, time for New Year golf goals.  And mine is to get to a sub 5 handicap.  I figure if i can get to 4.xx handicap playing from the tips, I am a pretty good golfer and can shoot in the 70s a fair amount.  Who knows, maybe one day have the round of my life and even shoot a 72.  I am going to try and take a few lessons this year.  Continue to work on my swing, but focus this year more heavily on short game.  I feel like my 2 biggest weaknesses are 80-100 yard shots and 20-30 yard shots around the green.  I miss the green completely far too many times from 100 yards and I do not get up and down nearly enough from the short range misses.  Often times making both these mistakes on the same hole.

In addition to working harder and knowing what I want to work on, I recently just joined the local Country Club 2 miles from my house.  Now that I have 36 holes at my disposal and unlimited practice facility time, ability to just go play 3, 6 or 9 holes, etc anytime I want.  I really feel like 2018 is going to be my year!  i have high expectations and really hope to get to that 4.xx handicap by this time next year.

That all said, was talking to a buddy and he keeps telling me not to have such limited expectations and that I could get to scratch with some hard work.  But I keep thinking, because I have alot going on in my normal day to day life, I do not really and truly have the time it requires to put into practice nor play more often.  Although I do plan to continue to hit the range 3+ times a week and maybe add in a couple extra "half rounds of golf" here and there to practice more... I still am not quite sure that is going to get me to shooting par consistently.

so my question is.... i know everyone's ability is different. I am obviously not a natural or it wouldnt have taken me nearly 10 years to break 80... but is it at all reasonable to think that one day I could get to scratch? Or do you think somewhere in that 4-5 range is probably the max for a weekend golfer.

Edited by 00bolt, 02 January 2018 - 11:45 AM.

IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
TM RBZ Black 19° Hybrid
Titleist 716 TM-B 4
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Miura Y Grind 50°
Miura K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
  • Joined: 04/30/2006
  • Location:Jacksonville, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 5305

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Theres plenty of weekend golfers who are scratch or better.  Many practice significantly less than hitting range balls 3x week and playing once a week.  Whether you can become scratch is a completely different topic and one nobody here can answer without intimately knowledge of both you and your game.

2

#3 00bolt

00bolt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Joined: 03/10/2009
  • Location:Mansfield, Texas
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

I realize its dependent on the player.  but that is kinda what I was looking for, thank you!
IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
TM RBZ Black 19° Hybrid
Titleist 716 TM-B 4
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Miura Y Grind 50°
Miura K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

3

#4 SomedayScratch

SomedayScratch

    MN Golf Nut

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455894
  • Joined: 02/20/2017
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:0-2
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

 00bolt, on 02 January 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

This is now my 10th year to be golfing. Took up golf when I was 27 and the bug bit me almost immediately.  However, with a wife, kids, job, etc. Its never been easy for me to play more than once per week (usually on weekends).  And lucky to get to the range at all.

Prior to 2017, I had gotten myself to a mid/high 80s shooter playing from the Men's tees.  Then this year in 2017, I committed to working on my swing and really trying to improve.  my goal was to just be a consistent 70s shooter. That is really all I ever wanted from golf was to shoot in the 70s on good days, and maybe a low 80s on a bad day.

So over the past year I have really worked hard on my swing. I usually go to the range 3+ times a week. Maybe only for 30 mins or so, but better than nothing.  I have a net and a mat in my garage. And I am constantly videoing my swing and trying to learn about the swing and improve.  I still only play about once a week though.  my scores didnt really get that much better, but my ballstriking and my swing mechanics in general improved 100%.  I now shoot a VERY consistent 81 to 84 range almost every time I play.  I did break 80 for first time ever in 2017.  But to be fair, I now play the back tees nearly every round instead of the Mens tees.  So that is probably worth a couple strokes.  My handicap is the lowest its ever been at 8.2

So now here it is 2018, time for New Year golf goals.  And mine is to get to a sub 5 handicap.  I figure if i can get to 4.xx handicap playing from the tips, I am a pretty good golfer and can shoot in the 70s a fair amount.  Who knows, maybe one day have the round of my life and even shoot a 72.  I am going to try and take a few lessons this year.  Continue to work on my swing, but focus this year more heavily on short game.  I feel like my 2 biggest weaknesses are 80-100 yard shots and 20-30 yard shots around the green.  I miss the green completely far too many times from 100 yards and I do not get up and down nearly enough from the short range misses.  Often times making both these mistakes on the same hole.

In addition to working harder and knowing what I want to work on, I recently just joined the local Country Club 2 miles from my house.  Now that I have 36 holes at my disposal and unlimited practice facility time, ability to just go play 3, 6 or 9 holes, etc anytime I want.  I really feel like 2018 is going to be my year!  i have high expectations and really hope to get to that 4.xx handicap by this time next year.

That all said, was talking to a buddy and he keeps telling me not to have such limited expectations and that I could get to scratch with some hard work.  But I keep thinking, because I have alot going on in my normal day to day life, I do not really and truly have the time it requires to put into practice nor play more often.  Although I do plan to continue to hit the range 3+ times a week and maybe add in a couple extra "half rounds of golf" here and there to practice more... I still am not quite sure that is going to get me to shooting par consistently.

so my question is.... i know everyone's ability is different. I am obviously not a natural or it wouldnt have taken me nearly 10 years to break 80... but is it at all reasonable to think that one day I could get to scratch? Or do you think somewhere in that 4-5 range is probably the max for a weekend golfer.

If you can break 80, you can get good enough to shoot par. No doubt about it. I plateaued in the 3-6 range for about 5 years and this past year I attacked my weaknesses (driving and long irons) and now near 0.

4

#5 juststeve

juststeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
  • Joined: 04/22/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1315

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

I have maintained myself as a plus handicap golfer playing on weekend and occasional practice sessions during the week for a lot of years.  Getting to that level however required a lot more work than I could have done weekends only.  My advice is do the best you can and see where you end up.

Steve


5

#6 00bolt

00bolt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Joined: 03/10/2009
  • Location:Mansfield, Texas
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:31 PM

I had come across this article a while back that I think always lingered in the back of my mind.

https://www.todaysgo...get-to-scratch/

Dr. Bob Rotella agrees. “To be honest, I have never met anyone who got to scratch by playing Saturdays and Sundays and practising for a couple of hours a week,” he says, in his book The Golf Of Your Dreams, my latest purchase after being so impressed by Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect. “Players who get to scratch spend more time than that. They find an hour to practice or play virtually every day. Most people, if they really want to, can find that hour somewhere in their schedule, even if it means getting out to the course for practise at dawn, or giving up a favourite TV show or the evening news.”
“If at present you can’t spare that much time, you ought to scale down your expectations until you can. If you can only find three or four days a week to practise or play, you might want to think in terms of getting down to the four to seven handicap range. If you can only find two or three days a week, the best you might be able to do is around ten.”
IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
TM RBZ Black 19° Hybrid
Titleist 716 TM-B 4
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Miura Y Grind 50°
Miura K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

6

#7 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
  • Joined: 10/05/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 932

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

It took me a while, but I got to scratch playing approximately 30 to 50 rounds per year, hitting balls approximately 25 times per year other than pre-round warm ups, and doing basically no "skill development."  I've had lessons, I've worked on stuff here and there, but I mostly just focused on playing.  I played when I was a kid and kind of gave up the game other than few annual rounds into my mid 20s.  When I really got back into it around age 28, I was about an 8 handicap.  I dropped to a 3 or 4 pretty quickly, then knocked about a stroke a year off from there to a career low of +1 around age 35.  I hover right around scratch these days and maintain that handicap in tournaments.

The biggest difference I notice between me and the guys who really grind is that I have more bad rounds and fewer exceptional rounds.  I just shoot between 72 and 78 pretty much every time I tee it up, regardless of where I play.  I shoot some 70-71 and some 79-82, but those collectively make up maybe 20% of my scores, and the other 80% are in that range I noted.

I'd love to be able to play and practice more, but my work schedule just doesn't allow it.  I think the keys that made me better were: (1) placing an emphasis on playing actual golf and not swing work/practice, (2) playing more tournaments, and (3) playing with better players.

7

#8 tap in birdie

tap in birdie

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356745
  • Joined: 01/05/2015
  • Location:Queens, NY
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

OP:

I’m a weekend scratch golfer around your age and I can tell you in my experience it was getting to break 80 that required the most amount of work. When I say break 80 I don’t mean your first 79, I mean making 80 the new ceiling and consistently shooting in the 70s. In my opinion it takes so much more effort to get to that level. Once you are at where you’re pretty much at, it just comes down to refining your game. Being busy with real life may prolong the process but it certainly won’t prevent it!

Some of it is relative to the player. I always had a knack for putting and short game. It just took me a while to keep my foul balls in play and truly understand course management. I know so many 3-8 hcp that have so much talent and can’t plot their way around a pitch and putt.
I know it’s the unattractive answer..most people think of “if I just had 10 more yards off the tee” or “if I could just  hit my irons a little closer.” I think Ben hogan was the one who said he only hit 3 good shots a round...as in exactly the way he intended...and that was coming from a legendary ball striker. He learned how to manage his misses and to tighten their severity. That’s why guys like Justin Thomas and Hideki Matsuyama take their hands off the club practically at impact in disgust and still hit it 20 feet to the pin.

I guess the point I’m struggling to make is that after your get through a 10 hcp, barring physical setbacks, it’s really only a matter of time before you get to scratch if you play the game the right way and still make baby steps in progress. That’s been my experience. I kind of coasted into scratch after I cleared 5 hcp. You should be at a point now where you understand the game and just need to refine your approach. Again just my experience. Also, don’t make scratch such a big deal in your mind. I did. Got to scratch and bounced right back up to a 3. Had to grind out there for a while before I came back down.

Edited by tap in birdie, 02 January 2018 - 05:17 PM.


8

#9 00bolt

00bolt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Joined: 03/10/2009
  • Location:Mansfield, Texas
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

Posted Image

A little bit off topic. But I just created this sheet of a practice routine for myself.  Figured if I do something like this not only would I have a little more consistent practice session vs just going and hitting balls. But I can also log my stats and as competitive as I am. It should give me some additional pressure because each time I practice I’ll want to beat my own personal best.  May not always have time to do all these drills in one session. But could always just combine a couple each day I go.  Sent a couple emails off to companies to get a quote to have them custom printed on a yardage book size notepad so I can just easily carry with me and not have to deal with loose sheets of paper.
IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
TM RBZ Black 19° Hybrid
Titleist 716 TM-B 4
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Miura Y Grind 50°
Miura K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

9

#10 tap in birdie

tap in birdie

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356745
  • Joined: 01/05/2015
  • Location:Queens, NY
  • Handicap:2.2
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:15 PM

 CallawayLefty, on 02 January 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

It took me a while, but I got to scratch playing approximately 30 to 50 rounds per year, hitting balls approximately 25 times per year other than pre-round warm ups, and doing basically no "skill development."  I've had lessons, I've worked on stuff here and there, but I mostly just focused on playing.  I played when I was a kid and kind of gave up the game other than few annual rounds into my mid 20s.  When I really got back into it around age 28, I was about an 8 handicap.  I dropped to a 3 or 4 pretty quickly, then knocked about a stroke a year off from there to a career low of +1 around age 35.  I hover right around scratch these days and maintain that handicap in tournaments.

The biggest difference I notice between me and the guys who really grind is that I have more bad rounds and fewer exceptional rounds.  I just shoot between 72 and 78 pretty much every time I tee it up, regardless of where I play.  I shoot some 70-71 and some 79-82, but those collectively make up maybe 20% of my scores, and the other 80% are in that range I noted.

I'd love to be able to play and practice more, but my work schedule just doesn't allow it.  I think the keys that made me better were: (1) placing an emphasis on playing actual golf and not swing work/practice, (2) playing more tournaments, and (3) playing with better players.

Definitely play with better players!! Couldn’t agree more. No different than working out with someone who is stronger/faster than you.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 ezpz

ezpz

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153417
  • Joined: 01/05/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

My reasoning in these situations is mostly: you can have eveyrhing at the same time, you just can't get everything at the same time. Can you play off scratch by being a weekend golfer? Sure. Can you get to scratch by being a weekend golfer? Would be very rough if your not insanely talented.

11

#12 BishopBreaking80

BishopBreaking80

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 375087
  • Joined: 05/08/2015
  • Location:Salt Lake City, UT
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

 juststeve, on 02 January 2018 - 12:30 PM, said:

I have maintained myself as a plus handicap golfer playing on weekend and occasional practice sessions during the week for a lot of years. Getting to that level however required a lot more work than I could have done weekends only. My advice is do the best you can and see where you end up. Steve

Steve makes an excellent point here; once you've gotten to the Scratch point, maintaining it won't be nearly as difficult as finding those specific areas of improvement, and gaining a stroke here and there until you're consistently at that Zero.

I personally play with a friend who's a weekend golfer only (I think he practices once a month, if that), and is still consistently breaking 80.  He's able to do this because he spent 30 years learning the correct fundamentals to give him a great swing, the feel to know how to make adjustments where necessary, and the intuition to read a course effectively enough to manage the major hazards.  All in all, he's a great player, but I've never seen him break 75, because he doesn't practice at all anymore.

YMMV, but I would assume that if you have the tenacity to continue to practice (even if not on a range) and focus on your trouble areas, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to maintain a scratch handicap playing weekly.
SLDR 460 Black 10.5°
Bombtech Grenade 15°
SLDR Hybrid 19°
Mizuno MX-23 (3i-Pw) True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts, Golf Pride CP2 grips
Mizuno MP-30 (4i-Pw) True Temper XP 115 S300 Shafts, SuperStroke TX1 Grips
Cleveland CG 16 Wedges (52°, RTX-2 56°, 60°), SuperStroke TX1 Grips
Odyssey Works Tank 1w Superstoke CounterCore Slim 3.0
B-330S, K-Sig, TP5, ProV1

12

#13 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
  • Joined: 10/05/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 932

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Some other thoughts that have proven important to me getting better:

1) Learn that score is all that matters.  Play in tournaments so you can see pretty 72s and ugly 72s, and see how they add up to the same thing.  Guys hit it long, short, straight, crooked, have awesome short games, terrible short games, etc. and can still piece together rounds.  Doesn't matter how, just how many.   

2) Learn how to keep it in play off the tee.  I was prone to penalty strokes a few handicap zones ago, and you're just not going to score with that.  Odds are you're not playing PGA length courses, so straight matters a lot more than long.  You'd be amazed how many good amateurs there are who only hit it like 250 off the tee.  

3) Learn how to avoid big numbers and give yourself chances.  Once you get pretty good at making punch out pars or at worst tap-in bogeys, you'll figure out pretty quickly that there's no reason to bring double or worse into play.  A big number can really take the wind out of your sails, whereas a bogey is temporary setback.

3a) Learn how to aim away from trouble.  This goes from anywhere from the tee to a 10 foot putt.  If a certain spot means that things could get really ugly for you, then by all means, hit it as far away from that spot as you can to give yourself the best chance to score on your next shot.  

4) Learn how to get comfortable taking what the course is giving you on a daily basis.  Some days you'll come out striping it and other days you'll hack it all over the place.  But you can still shoot good scores in either case if you just get used to the idea that that's how it goes.

5) Get used to the idea that you'll have to get better several times over.  I remember when I got down to about a 3 thinking "I have no idea how I'm going to keep getting better."  Then I got to a 2 and thought it again, and then to a 1 and thought it again.  But you'll eventually figure it out if you're entirely score focused.  

6) I don't think anything beats playing once you have a passable swing.  I consider myself to be pretty average at all components of the game from a mechanics standpoint.  My best trait is probably ability to crap together a score out of lots of average shots.  But that's a skill that you can't pick up on the range or practice green.  

Those are some things that I think helped me, and are probably the places I continue to focus efforts to try to move past the scratch level to something better.

Edited by CallawayLefty, 02 January 2018 - 06:07 PM.


13

#14 bigfatant

bigfatant

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459380
  • Joined: 03/17/2017
  • Location:Melbourne Australia
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:leongwaipak
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

I've got down to 12 after playing for 16 months, after hitting 40 years old, with a full time job, 4 kids, not having any lessons, only playing on weekends and occasionally sneaking onto the course and driving range with the kids after work.
So I think yes you can get down to scratch if you really wanted to.

I find playing and practicing on the course most beneficial, especially having to deal with all sorts of recovery shots.
I know an elderly member off 7-8 who always practices in the short game area for a full hour before playing his game later in the afternoon.
I'm hoping to get down to single this year and look to scratch maybe in 2019-2020. See how i go this year.
Good luck!
Do you really want to know WITB? Oh ok (talk about peer pressure!)
My favourite clubs I use sometimes (A$480 total):
Srixon Z745 10.5degree driver Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $100
Srixon F45 15 degree fairway wood Stiff flex $150
Srixon H45 18 degree 3 hybrid Mitsubishi Rayon X flex $75
Srixon i302 3 - SW RIfle 5.0 Shafts $135
Bridgestown 60 degree lob wedge $20
Odyssey Two ball Fang (Gift)

14

#15 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
  • Joined: 07/21/2006
  • Location:Kansas
GolfWRX Likes : 4986

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

Seems to me that a lot of people who at one time worked hard on their game, and have a lot of athletic ability are able to maintain a scratch level once more responsibility comes their way and they can't play as much.  

I would think it would be difficult to get there to start with by not playing much, but it really depends on your talent level.  For those like me who have LOFT issues, it's pretty difficult.  :)

Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

15

#16 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 760

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

I'm gonna say on average no chance. With a lot of talent and well above average golf IQ play off 2-5 all day long yes absolutely. In my personal experience playing off scratch takes serious talent and one hell of a time commitment building it out of the dirt. Are there exceptions to the rule, freaky talent with the perfect balance of mind and body, sure. The courses you frequent will play a factor in this equation as well. BB

Edited by Big Ben, 02 January 2018 - 07:03 PM.

Irons: Ping iBades
Drivers: Pink Ping G
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge WRX
Putter: STX Xform 2
Balls: Snell MTB

16

#17 CrickorCreek

CrickorCreek

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488812
  • Joined: 12/16/2017
  • Location:Folsom, PA
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

OP, shoot for the stars man. Never limit ur possibilities and give it ur best. Just remember to enjoy the ride regardless of ultimate result.

I had similar aspirations under similar circumstances a few years ago. In 2012 I was down to a 5 and full of hope. Then I put so much pressure on myself and set so many expectations. I began to play against my aggressive nature. The same aggressiveness that got me to a 5. Everything became tense. I lost the swing to the point of a 3 year s***k battle and skyrocketed to a 12. It wasnt until this year(2017) that I got back to single digits. It all happened because I forgot to have fun and enjoy the game I and we all love to play.

I dont say that as a warning. Far from it. I support and look forward to following how you do. All Im saying is remember to enjoy it. Focus on effort and execution during practice and pure acceptance while playing. Keep having fun, sport a smile on good days and bad, and no matter what itll b a success.

Best of luck man!

17

#18 deathbymuffin

deathbymuffin

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181018
  • Joined: 05/14/2012
  • Location:San Diego
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

I've met the weekend scratch golfer here and there (my father included).  The one thing they all had in common is that they were all very good athletes and almost all had division 1 experience in a sport other than golf (assuming they weren't college golfers).  I'm more in the range of a pretty good high school athlete and I haven't been able to get there.  I seem to have the raw materials (length), but I can't put together the consistency or mental toughness to really get beyond the high single digits at this time.  I have rounds in the 70s when the ball bounces my way, but I shoot low-to-mid 80s from the tips just as often.  Just too many bonehead shots, big misses and three putts.  I played the other day and shot 83 with 4 birdies - which is a typical round for me.

18

#19 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 760

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

 CrickorCreek, on 02 January 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

OP, shoot for the stars man. Never limit ur possibilities and give it ur best. Just remember to enjoy the ride regardless of ultimate result.

I had similar aspirations under similar circumstances a few years ago. In 2012 I was down to a 5 and full of hope. Then I put so much pressure on myself and set so many expectations. I began to play against my aggressive nature. The same aggressiveness that got me to a 5. Everything became tense. I lost the swing to the point of a 3 year s***k battle and skyrocketed to a 12. It wasnt until this year(2017) that I got back to single digits. It all happened because I forgot to have fun and enjoy the game I and we all love to play.

I dont say that as a warning. Far from it. I support and look forward to following how you do. All Im saying is remember to enjoy it. Focus on effort and execution during practice and pure acceptance while playing. Keep having fun, sport a smile on good days and bad, and no matter what itll b a success.

Best of luck man!
I completely agree with this assessment. This is like a snapshot of my game in my 30's when I had time and drive. Got down to 2 actually and thought the sky was the limit. I'm now 48 and enjoy each and every single round I have the privilege of playing, almost never get upset. My cap has been very steady in the 5 range with a handful of good rounds when the body and mind feel good. Just enjoy yourself and the good company the numbers will come. BB

Edited by Big Ben, 02 January 2018 - 07:17 PM.

Irons: Ping iBades
Drivers: Pink Ping G
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge WRX
Putter: STX Xform 2
Balls: Snell MTB

19

#20 dap

dap

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
  • Joined: 07/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 354

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

It's possible but not probable. Maybe if you were a former plus or touring pro. If you can play to a legit scratch being a weekend player, imagine how good you can be if you played and practiced more. It depends on your potential. Seen plenty of players improved their games to single figures and then get cocky thinking scratch will come easily next and then it all falls apart. There was a poster who wrote a journal on his journey to scratch. He was a 2.8. Three years later he was a 4. The effort he put in was massive too. Your potential is what it is.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

    Highland Park Dark Origins

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Joined: 05/09/2006
  • Location:Midwest and Southwest
  • Handicap:lowS
GolfWRX Likes : 2543

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

Reaching scratch level golf only playing and practicing weekends is NOT likely.  You might be able to reach 5-6ish, but lower isn't likely.  The fine-tuning of shots, focus, and consistency to reach low single digit requires a great deal of practice and a short game that's so good its nearly second nature or scratch level.

People told me taking up the game at 40, I wouldn't break into single digit much less low single.  I proved them wrong by reaching high single inside of five years while running a company.  For that to happen, I was hitting 1000+ practice balls a week and playing once or twice.  I had a club in my hand nearly every day.  A benefit of being the boss.  Anyhow, a few years later I reached mid then low single and maintain that since, with nearly no practice just a small bucket before teeing off.

That said, it's up to you.  If you want it badly enough, you can.  Good Luck  :beach:
Titleist 917D2 10.5, Fujikura Fuel 60 "S" Tour Spec
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Original D.Blueboard 83 x5ct "S"
Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, PX Flighted 6.0
Titleist 716CB 3-PW, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 F-52*, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 M-58*, DGS200
SC California Monterey
ProV1x

21

#22 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

 00bolt, on 02 January 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

I had come across this article a while back that I think always lingered in the back of my mind.

https://www.todaysgo...get-to-scratch/

Dr. Bob Rotella agrees. “To be honest, I have never met anyone who got to scratch by playing Saturdays and Sundays and practising for a couple of hours a week,” he says, in his book The Golf Of Your Dreams, my latest purchase after being so impressed by Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect. “Players who get to scratch spend more time than that. They find an hour to practice or play virtually every day. Most people, if they really want to, can find that hour somewhere in their schedule, even if it means getting out to the course for practise at dawn, or giving up a favourite TV show or the evening news.”
“If at present you can’t spare that much time, you ought to scale down your expectations until you can. If you can only find three or four days a week to practise or play, you might want to think in terms of getting down to the four to seven handicap range. If you can only find two or three days a week, the best you might be able to do is around ten.”

I’d go with what Dr. Rotella says.
It’s hard.

22

#23 00bolt

00bolt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Joined: 03/10/2009
  • Location:Mansfield, Texas
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I always like hearing other people’s perspectives and success stories. Again, being scratch has never been an thought of mine. I just never thought I had the time to commit to what it would take to get there. Now shooting a scratch round is definitely on my golf bucket list and I think is more realistic.

That said. I’m not going to give myself false hope and go for scratch or bust. Again this was just a friend talking to me and got me thinking. My ultimate golf goal is really just to get to that 2-5 range.  I really and truly believe I am right on the cusp of being there. It’s mainly my short game from 100 and in keeping me from shooting those last few strokes better each round.

One thing someone mentioned earlier was about having fun and letting the scores come. I will honestly say this is absolutely NOT how I play golf lol.  Mentally every round I play I am going out with the sole purpose of shooting my best round ever and lowering my handicap. Absolutely not how Golf should be played I’m guessing. Seems like this kind of attitude sets myself up for failure quite often and if and when I do hit a bad shot or have a bad hole. It really carries over and more often than not compounds because I’ve now got the mindset that the round is wasted. I can’t shoot my best ever now. Blah blah. And I get upset. Not the throwing clubs and cussing upset. But inside I’m an atomic bomb.
IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
TM RBZ Black 19° Hybrid
Titleist 716 TM-B 4
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Miura Y Grind 50°
Miura K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

23

#24 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,155 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
  • Joined: 07/01/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1108

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

OP...you live in Texas !!!...GET TO WORK and become a minus golfer !  :wave:

24

#25 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

 00bolt, on 02 January 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I always like hearing other peoples perspectives and success stories. Again, being scratch has never been an thought of mine. I just never thought I had the time to commit to what it would take to get there. Now shooting a scratch round is definitely on my golf bucket list and I think is more realistic.

That said. Im not going to give myself false hope and go for scratch or bust. Again this was just a friend talking to me and got me thinking. My ultimate golf goal is really just to get to that 2-5 range.  I really and truly believe I am right on the cusp of being there. Its mainly my short game from 100 and in keeping me from shooting those last few strokes better each round.

One thing someone mentioned earlier was about having fun and letting the scores come. I will honestly say this is absolutely NOT how I play golf lol.  Mentally every round I play I am going out with the sole purpose of shooting my best round ever and lowering my handicap. Absolutely not how Golf should be played Im guessing. Seems like this kind of attitude sets myself up for failure quite often and if and when I do hit a bad shot or have a bad hole. It really carries over and more often than not compounds because Ive now got the mindset that the round is wasted. I cant shoot my best ever now. Blah blah. And I get upset. Not the throwing clubs and cussing upset. But inside Im an atomic bomb.

Most people have to grind their way to a better game, and theres nothing wrong with that. You can make it, but grinding takes breathing Golf all day long and figuring a way to get at least an hour a day in and playing so often you get sick of it.

Thats how most of the better high school kids and College players get so good. They keep playing because their coaches make them. Generally way past the Cmon coach, Im too _____ to play..., but their coach makes them.

Edited by Lincoln_Arcadia, 02 January 2018 - 08:06 PM.


25

#26 Big Ben

Big Ben

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Joined: 04/21/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Ohio
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 760

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

And that's fantastic golf Lincoln! Think about that, I would be interested in finding out what percentage of the golfing population ever post a GHIN in the lower half of single digits much less doing it on a condensed schedule. It's darn near an elite level of play for the AM golfer.

Edited by Big Ben, 02 January 2018 - 08:08 PM.

Irons: Ping iBades
Drivers: Pink Ping G
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 850
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge WRX
Putter: STX Xform 2
Balls: Snell MTB

26

#27 00bolt

00bolt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Joined: 03/10/2009
  • Location:Mansfield, Texas
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

I wish I could go back to my high school days and play golf for 6 hours a day. Trust me I do breath Golf all day. But doing it from an office chair while at work or on the drive to and from for nearly 10 hours a Day is difficult. That’s why I try and squeeze in 20-30 mins of range time on my lunch breaks at a nearby course. And that’s why I joined the local country club. So I can have all the “free” practice half rounds I can.

The other day my buddy and I played at the club. We got to the course an hour before our tee time to warm up, putt etc. and there was a group of high school kids already on the range hitting balls. We ended up playing and they were the group right behind us. Around hole 12 they quit and passed us by on the cart path. We finished our round and went in and ate lunch. While eating lunch my buddy and I were talking about things we were working on and actually went back to the range to show each other a few things before heading back home to our wives and normal lives. And those kids were all at the range and stayed after we left.  And that day was a high of the mid 40s. Not exactly a pretty day. That’s the life I missed out on as a kid. If I could go back and say forget michael Jordan and basketball I would lol. But here s am in my mid to late 30s and just an obsessed weekender trying to get as low as I can with the limited time I have.

Edited by 00bolt, 02 January 2018 - 08:38 PM.

IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
TM RBZ Black 19° Hybrid
Titleist 716 TM-B 4
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Miura Y Grind 50°
Miura K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

27

#28 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
  • Joined: 10/05/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 932

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

 00bolt, on 02 January 2018 - 07:56 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I always like hearing other people’s perspectives and success stories. Again, being scratch has never been an thought of mine. I just never thought I had the time to commit to what it would take to get there. Now shooting a scratch round is definitely on my golf bucket list and I think is more realistic.

That said. I’m not going to give myself false hope and go for scratch or bust. Again this was just a friend talking to me and got me thinking. My ultimate golf goal is really just to get to that 2-5 range.  I really and truly believe I am right on the cusp of being there. It’s mainly my short game from 100 and in keeping me from shooting those last few strokes better each round.

One thing someone mentioned earlier was about having fun and letting the scores come. I will honestly say this is absolutely NOT how I play golf lol.  Mentally every round I play I am going out with the sole purpose of shooting my best round ever and lowering my handicap. Absolutely not how Golf should be played I’m guessing. Seems like this kind of attitude sets myself up for failure quite often and if and when I do hit a bad shot or have a bad hole. It really carries over and more often than not compounds because I’ve now got the mindset that the round is wasted. I can’t shoot my best ever now. Blah blah. And I get upset. Not the throwing clubs and cussing upset. But inside I’m an atomic bomb.


Focus on smaller victories because at your current level you don't have the ability to play 18 good holes.  Try to play 3 good holes in a row, then 6, then 9, and so on.  What this means is that you can always reset.  If you're 10 over through 12, try to play the last 6 in even.  See how many holes you can keep an under par streak going.  I remember a few years ago I played a streak of 5 difficult holes in 2 under and just thought that was so cool that I was able to do that.  It was this major boost of confidence to me. Now 5 or 6 years later I wouldn't bat an eye about doing that but only because I did stuff like that and allowed myself to feel good about it.  I still get a kick out of small victories.  I had an eagle and 3 birdies back to back this year.  I played a horrible 9 to start a tournament this year (44) but bounced back with a 34 on the back. I couldn't care less about shooting 78 but I felt good about that.  Just take it as it comes because I can tell you you won't go from 8 to 0 overnight.  You'll stop at every digit between the two and even bounce back up in all likelihood.

28

#29 00bolt

00bolt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77153
  • Joined: 03/10/2009
  • Location:Mansfield, Texas
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

I like that idea. Something I’ve never thought of before. Kinda like a game within the game. Thanks. I may give that a try this weekend and see how many holes I can stay at par or under in a row.

A couple months ago I did finish out a round strong. I finished with 3 out of the last 4 holes with birdies and the other hole was a par I missed the birdie putt. Never had a streak like that before and definitely gave me a boost of confidence at the time. But again. That was a couple months ago haha.
IG:  golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Adams Tight Lies 2 3 Wood 16°
TM RBZ Black 19° Hybrid
Titleist 716 TM-B 4
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Miura Y Grind 50°
Miura K Grind 54°, 58°
Scotty Newport 2.5

29

#30 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
  • Joined: 03/23/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

In a word: NOPE, not going to happen!


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors