Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Maui Jim v. Oakley

76 replies to this topic

#31 e-man

e-man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47555
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

View Posttoddnt, on 01 January 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

View Poste-man, on 30 December 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Posttdk8180, on 30 December 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Oakley all the way...no debate

Prism golf?  Field?  Which one?
The fields for me are a lot more definitive and clear.

OP here.  That's what I thought also when I compared them at the store.  However, when I called the Oakley vault yesterday, they told me that the field highlights different colors than golf, and that while it may have seemed in the store that the field made certain colors pop, I would be missing out on some key colors/features that the golf was intended for if I went with field.

Does that make sense?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 tdk8180

tdk8180

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77908
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 894

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

View Poste-man, on 01 January 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

View Posttoddnt, on 01 January 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

View Poste-man, on 30 December 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Posttdk8180, on 30 December 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Oakley all the way...no debate

Prism golf?  Field?  Which one?
The fields for me are a lot more definitive and clear.

OP here.  That's what I thought also when I compared them at the store.  However, when I called the Oakley vault yesterday, they told me that the field highlights different colors than golf, and that while it may have seemed in the store that the field made certain colors pop, I would be missing out on some key colors/features that the golf was intended for if I went with field.

Does that make sense?

Yes, that is precisely what will happen.  In a store environment, you have unnatural light, lighting unnatural objects, so when you get the golf lenses outside, you will see why they are awesome.  The field is good, but its specific to contrast the field, sky and baseball.  The golf has enhancements to lines in the grass (rough, fway and greens), contrasts the sky to track the ball better and gives you a better perception of depth for distance.  I enjoy the detail enhancement on the greens, that other lenses do not provide.  Its a great lense designed for golf.

#33 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 1083

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

View Poste-man, on 31 December 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

Thanks big red.  My wife and kids have Maui Jim and they love them.  I've looked through them, but they are not prescription so it's hard to compare.  My only issue with them is that for golf, I just don't love the frame options.  For off the course, I would wear them in a heartbeat.

As for Oakley and the quality, I can only say that I've been very happy with my flak 2.0 gray polarized.   They fit great and the lenses seem to be very clear to me.  Maybe it's the difference better RX and non RX lenses.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
I just recently started wearing prescription glasses (tried about 8 different contacts, and couldnít get them right). I havenít had Maui prescriptions (or Oakley), but I imagine they are every bit as good as standard Mauis. The Maui prescription lenses for my frames are almost $500.

Like I said, ive owned several different Oakleys in several different tints and styles. I never had a problem with them, aside from how easily they scratch. There just is no comparison as far as optics are concerned between the two.

#34 ronnbee

ronnbee

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138003
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

Love my prescription glasses

#35 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1517

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

View Postbigred90gt, on 31 December 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Maui Jim are superior to Oakley in every way as far as optics go. I've owned probably 10 pairs of oakleys, and since I bought my first pair of Mauis, I'll never buy oakleys again. There is no comparison.

:D

I can pretty much guarantee that if you were asked to participate in a blind sight test between 2 unmarked (of course) lenses, one Maui and one Oakley, to just compare both of their "optics", you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

No glasses are going to help with your golf game. If the lenses are too dark, a lighter lense is all you need. If you like the oakleys fit and style, just get different lenses. If you want better glasses, get the Mauis in a lighter color lense.

And you know this how ? It's akin to saying the "brush tee" won't give you 2(?) more yards. Or that altering your irons "1 up" won't help you hit it more towards your target. So many things in golf are "incremental", not to mention "invisible" (to your score), or extremely difficult to attribute a difference to, in nature.

I always played golf sans sunglasses. Until a little over 2 years ago. My eyes were always "tired" after the round. I started using Oakley (golf) Prizms all the time. I went from a 6/7 to a 4. Was it the sunglasses ? Probably not but who knows ? What I DO know is my eyes feel a whole lot better after the round. I also know that my green reading has become quite a bit better - but is that because of a lot more experience on differing course ? Or because of the Oakley's ? Who knows ?

Point is, you have a very well respected company telling you they makes lenses to specifically help your vision for certain specific activities, and you're basically saying "Hogwash". And (it appears) all because you love your $500+ MJs. :rolleyes:

You almost sound like a guy in my club for over 20 years. He still thinks there's no difference in golf shafts. :cheesy:

Edited by nsxguy, 01 January 2018 - 01:26 PM.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW
Callaway Indianapolis EXO

Titleist AVX

#36 GTgolf

GTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Maui has the best optics, and it's not close.

HT lens or their new "Maui brilliant" is supposedly better.

Go with what's comfortable on your head and eyes.

Optics: Maui
Style/look: Oakley
Bang for buck: Sun cloud

Edited by GTgolf, 01 January 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#37 Les Strokes

Les Strokes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402242
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

I have the Maui Jim's in light grey with the titanium frames that have ear loops; they are great in most light conditions and they don't fall off, especially good for boating and fishing. Also Maui Jim has great customer service in case you need repairs

Edited by Les Strokes, 01 January 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#38 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

View Postnsxguy, on 01 January 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Maui Jim are superior to Oakley in every way as far as optics go. I've owned probably 10 pairs of oakleys, and since I bought my first pair of Mauis, I'll never buy oakleys again. There is no comparison.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you were asked to participate in a blind sight test between 2 unmarked (of course) lenses, one Maui and one Oakley, to just compare both of their "optics", you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

No glasses are going to help with your golf game. If the lenses are too dark, a lighter lense is all you need. If you like the oakleys fit and style, just get different lenses. If you want better glasses, get the Mauis in a lighter color lense.

And you know this how ? It's akin to saying the "brush tee" won't give you 2(?) more yards. Or that altering your irons "1 up" won't help you hit it more towards your target. So many things in golf are "incremental", not to mention "invisible" (to your score), or extremely difficult to attribute a difference to, in nature.

I always played golf sans sunglasses. Until a little over 2 years ago. My eyes were always "tired" after the round. I started using Oakley (golf) Prizms all the time. I went from a 6/7 to a 4. Was it the sunglasses ? Probably not but who knows ? What I DO know is my eyes feel a whole lot better after the round. I also know that my green reading has become quite a bit better - but is that because of a lot more experience on differing course ? Or because of the Oakley's ? Who knows ?

Point is, you have a very well respected company telling you they makes lenses to specifically help your vision for certain specific activities, and you're basically saying "Hogwash". And (it appears) all because you love your $500+ MJs. :rolleyes:

You almost sound like a guy in my club for over 20 years. He still thinks there's no difference in golf shafts. :cheesy:

Iím not going to sit here and argue with you, but I will say Iíve owned Oakleys (in G30, which were their golf specific lenses before they came out with Prizm, amongst other lenses as well), Costa, and Maui Jimís, at the same time, and there really is no comparison. But Iím sure since you love your oakleys, you wouldnít understand.

Of course your eyes were less fatigued, a $10 pair of gas station sunglasses would have accomplished that. ANY sunglasses are better than no sunglasses when you are spending hours at a time out in the sun.

Gee, Oakley makes a lense branded as their golf specific lense, and they tell you it will help you with your game. Whoída thunk it?? Isnít that basically Marketing 101? lol, Keep drinking the koolade.

In 2 years time you dropped your handicap by 2 strokes. I would attribute that to playing more, but who knows, maybe you were a 6/7 for 30 years, bought the glasses, and have now dropped 2 strokes.

And no, I didnít pay $500 for my Mauis. I wouldnít pay that much for a pair of glasses. That is the cost of their prescription lenses for my particular frame, not what I paid for my non prescription pair.

Like I said earlier, if you like the frame styling of Oakley better, by all means get them. Theyíre great glasses with great lenses in a multitude of tints. If you want better optics, get Mauis.

#39 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1517

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

View Postbigred90gt, on 03 January 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

View Postnsxguy, on 01 January 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, but I will say I've owned Oakleys (in G30, which were their golf specific lenses before they came out with Prizm, amongst other lenses as well), Costa, and Maui Jim's, at the same time, and there really is no comparison. But I'm sure since you love your oakleys, you wouldn't understand.

Of course your eyes were less fatigued, a $10 pair of gas station sunglasses would have accomplished that. ANY sunglasses are better than no sunglasses when you are spending hours at a time out in the sun.

Gee, Oakley makes a lense branded as their golf specific lense, and they tell you it will help you with your game. Who'da thunk it?? Isn't that basically Marketing 101? lol, Keep drinking the koolade.

In 2 years time you dropped your handicap by 2 strokes. I would attribute that to playing more, but who knows, maybe you were a 6/7 for 30 years, bought the glasses, and have now dropped 2 strokes.

And no, I didn't pay $500 for my Mauis. I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of glasses. That is the cost of their prescription lenses for my particular frame, not what I paid for my non prescription pair.

Like I said earlier, if you like the frame styling of Oakley better, by all means get them. They're great glasses with great lenses in a multitude of tints. If you want better optics, get Mauis.

You're not going to argue with me but here you are disputing most everything I've said. Good one. :rolleyes: :cheesy:

Of course my eyes felt better ? :blink: I believe I said that.

I dropped my 'cap by a couple of shots and maybe it was playing more and not the glasses ? :blink: I believe I implied that as well.

My vision is perfectly clear without glasses and it is perfectly clear with the Prizms on. Explain to me how the Maui's could possibly be better.

And a world-class, respected manufacturer, specifically makes tints, etc that enhance vision for specific lighting conditions and activities but YOU know better. :cheesy: Talk about drinking spouting some Kool-aid nonsense,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Tin foil hat much ?    :rolleyes:

You believe it makes no difference and/or the Maui's are still better, even for golf,,,,,,, By all means, knock yourself out,,,,,,,, please,,,,,,, :yes:

Always a pleasure :hi:
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
Ping G20 5-P, DG S300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58* SW & 64* LW
Callaway Indianapolis EXO

Titleist AVX

#40 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,599 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 03 January 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

Always a pleasure :hi:

Absolutely. :drinks:

Whatever works for you man, You enjoy your Oakleys, I'll enjoy my Mauis, and we'll both play no better because of them, lol.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:lowS
GolfWRX Likes : 2723

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

I have prescription Maui Jim Kawika with natural grey lenses for general wear and Oakley's Jupiter Squared (2014) with G30 Rose lenses worn when playing golf.  Though I have worn Maui Jim glasses when playing golf they are NOT nearly as helpful as Oakley's with Rose lenses.
Titleist 917D2 10.5, Fujikura Fuel 60 "S" Tour Spec
Titleist 917F2, 15*, Project X7C3 Tour Issue
Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Project X Blue Tour Issue DI
Titleist 716CB 3-PW, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 F-52*, PX Flighted 6.0
SM6 M-58*, DGS200
SC California Monterey
ProV1x

#42 6RE660

6RE660

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415366
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

Another vote for Maui Jim's because of their customer service.  A while ago, my pair of prescription Bamboo Forests fell off of my hat and got run over by the cart.  The frames were smashed and I took them to the repair center in hopes of salvaging the lenses.  If I recall correctly, I think they replaced the frame for $60.00.

I wouldn't mind try the prizm lenses, but I have a hard time finding a pair of Oakley's that fit my flat nose.  I know that they offer "Asian" fits, but I haven't found a pair that I like so far...

#43 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
GolfWRX Likes : 2788

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

View Postdpark, on 31 December 2017 - 02:10 AM, said:

I have transition BROWN lenses in my glasses and love them. I used to have grey transitions but now that I have used the brown, I will never go back to grey. For me the brown provides much better contrast than the grey.  Mine are prescription too. So at dawn and dusk they lighten us significantly providing more light transmission.

I have had and still have brown lenses in all of my Oakleys. It is the perfect color for green reading for me. Sadly they don't make that color anymore because the prizms are way to bright for me. Sadly I wear prescription glasses now (only when necessary ) but cant walk around or play in them.  Just haven't been able to adjust in a year and a half.  Going to get new ones soon and then cgeck into Oakley prescriptions for golf. Tired of not seeing longer shots finish up.

#44 WarEagleGolf

WarEagleGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400664
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

If you don't try Smith chromapop you are selling yourself short.  They have all the colors oakly and Maui have, just better IMO.  

Styles are somewhat similar as well.  The bronze, ignitor and copper have been successful on my end for golf.  Grey, brown, not so much.

Also, tilt your head to the side when reading greens for grain, you'll be surprised how bright the grain down side is when wearing polarized lenses.

Edited by WarEagleGolf, 03 January 2018 - 08:51 PM.

PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
Callaway XR16 Pro Fujikura XLR8 61 16*
PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
PING Vault Anser2

#45 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
GolfWRX Likes : 711

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:18 AM

I prefer Maui Jim's mainly because they fit my head better.  Oakley's leave an indentation in this big dome.

#46 Shakester

Shakester

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463830
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

I was a big Oakley guy for many years, but if you really compare Oakley to other top polarized lens brands, their clarity is ranked on the lower side.  My brother was a big on Oakley for his prescription sunglasses and for years, we would have the Maui Jim vs Oakley debate when it mattered.  He finally tried on a pair of Maui Jim's at his optometrist and he's never looked back.  In terms of crisp and clarity, Maui Jim is near the top of the list while Oakley would be at the bottom.  

1. Revo
2. Maui Jim
3. Costa Del Mar
4. Ray Ban
5. Oakley

I currently have 5 pairs of Maui Jim's.  Mostly for fishing.  My pair for golfing is the Ho'okipa.  Very light and comfortable.  My most common lens color is the HCL bronze which I use for those early mornings on the water.  A very versatile color that you can wear all day.

#47 chris975d

chris975d

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,069 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 917

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

View PostWarEagleGolf, on 03 January 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

If you don't try Smith chromapop you are selling yourself short.  They have all the colors oakly and Maui have, just better IMO.  

Styles are somewhat similar as well.  The bronze, ignitor and copper have been successful on my end for golf.  Grey, brown, not so much.

Also, tilt your head to the side when reading greens for grain, you'll be surprised how bright the grain down side is when wearing polarized lenses.

I'll give this a HARD second.  Being in golf for 25+ years, and owning/have owned multiple models and lens options from every major sunglass company out there (Oakley, Costa, Maui,...list goes on and on), bar none the best lens and optics I've come across is Smith Optics Ignitor Photochromic polarized lens.   I can wear them everyday, and straight out on the course at work or to play.  I like them so much so that, despite being a huge sunglass 'ho (around $9000 spent in sunglasses over the past 5-7 years...sunglasses are all over the house), I've gone all Smith Optics/Ignitor lenses for my 3-4 daily wear/golf use glasses.

#48 oiler45

oiler45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124954
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

In my opinion - the primary reason for wearing sunglasses on the golf course is for eye protection. The differences in various makes, models, lenses etc. as it pertains to your golf score will be negligible.
I will defer to experts on the eye health and protection benefits of sunglasses for that reason. I met with my optometrist - he told me to always wear polarized lenses and he also told me Maui Jim offer the best level of polarization and have the best optics. I bought a pair of non-prescription Alakai with the HT lens - they are super light and comfortable. I know my game will be unchanged but I do feel good knowing my eyes are protected, I'm comfortable, and I look cool  ...  or as cool as an old, bald, plump guy can look.

#49 Shakester

Shakester

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463830
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

View Postoiler45, on 05 January 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

In my opinion - the primary reason for wearing sunglasses on the golf course is for eye protection. The differences in various makes, models, lenses etc. as it pertains to your golf score will be negligible.
I will defer to experts on the eye health and protection benefits of sunglasses for that reason. I met with my optometrist - he told me to always wear polarized lenses and he also told me Maui Jim offer the best level of polarization and have the best optics. I bought a pair of non-prescription Alakai with the HT lens - they are super light and comfortable. I know my game will be unchanged but I do feel good knowing my eyes are protected, I'm comfortable, and I look cool  ...  or as cool as an old, bald, plump guy can look.

I agree that sunglasses, when it comes to golf, doesn't offer much performance enhancements.   Its just protection from the harmful rays of the sun.   But polarized lens do offer other benefits other than just protection, especially when it comes to other activities such as fishing.  Polarized lens allow anglers to see into the water while normal lenses will still give you that glare on top of it.  I remember when I was still wearing Oakley's  and went out on my friend's boat for some bass fishing.  He was telling me to cast in an area and kept asking me if I saw the fish and I didn't.  I borrowed his Costa Del Mars and woah.  There was a whole school on a bed that I didn't see.  I was wondering why he was catching all the fish and I wasn't getting anything.

#50 Leo's Caddy

Leo's Caddy

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492372
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

Oakley’s are great for staying on your head but the lens quality is cheap compared to Maui Jim.

Driver : Taylormade m2 9.5 w/ Kuro Kage TiNi 70x
Fairway: Titleist 915 f2 16.5 w/ Diamana blueboard 80x
Hybrid : Titleist 816 h2 21 w/ Diamana blueboard 90x
Irons : Titleist 718 TMB 3/4/5 and Titleist 718 CB 6-P
Wedges : Titleist sm6 50/54/58
Putter : Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 jg1166

jg1166

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20018
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:15 PM

I will state upfront that all my sunglasses are Oakley.  That said I would recommend the Golf Prizm lens.  I have them in my Flak Jacket xlj's with a prescription and they are really clear in all lights and easy to pick up ball both in flight and on the ground.

Hope this helps

#52 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2161

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

I was fortunate enough to get a free pair of Maui Jims through a promotion for Lincoln. They are very good. I broke them, and MJ repaired them for $10. That being said, I would not pay for either MJ or Oakley. I usually get LL Beans for $50. I believe they are made for Bean by Smith, and they are good enough for me.

#53 jranderson110

jranderson110

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477942
  • Handicap:7.3
  • Ebay ID:jordan.anderson32
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Nothing molds to the face, stays in place, and has the style of the Flak or Flak 2.0. Love mine, been a flak guy for damn near a decade now.

Edited by jranderson110, 14 February 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#54 timbo08

timbo08

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105122
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:00 PM

I prefer MJ's myself but that's mostly due to the straight frame style of Oakley's.  Unfortunately the Flaks just don't stay in place for me and move up and down on my face easily.  For Golf I use Maui Jim Kaupo Gaps as they are very light weight and have a straight top that fits under a hat well if you wear one out on the course.  I will say Smith Chromapops are really good too.  I got a pair of Outlier TI's on Amazon for under $100 that if I didn't have my MJ's I would have no problem wearing on the golf course.  

There is a definitely difference in the Prizm lens on the Oakley's I have and the MJ gray.  I don't mind playing in the MJ's but I think the prizm golf is a slightly more versatile lens for more weather conditions.  If I could get the Prizm lens in a "Wafarer" style frame, I'd probably go that route.

#55 34isdatruth

34isdatruth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137031
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:44 PM

I have both and love the polarized maui jim red sands for casual wear even though i could play golf in them. I just got holbrooks with prizm golf lenses and love them.

#56 @_the_crook

@_the_crook

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118828
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:00 AM

to add -

picked up a pair of the MJ Makaha's yesterday at my optician's with the grey colored lens. he didn't have the hcl bronze in stock, but will soon have more stock and let me swap if I feel the need.
he also sells Oakleys, though he walked me right past that display and advised what would have better eye protection.

I'd worn polarized prescription lenses in dark grey for umpteen years, and due to some recent improvements can now wear off the rack eyewear.

sunday on the course will be the real test.

#57 smb4ua

smb4ua

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424554
  • Handicap:6.3
  • Ebay ID:stephentix
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

Oakley had a table at our member-guest today, and they have a new Prizm "dark golf" lens that is darker than the original. The lenses aren't available for purchase for my half jackets yet but they should be around September.  They looked great in the Flak frame I tried on.

#58 Cwing

Cwing

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
  • Handicap:12.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1510

Posted 28 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

View Postsmb4ua, on 28 April 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

Oakley had a table at our member-guest today, and they have a new Prizm "dark golf" lens that is darker than the original. The lenses aren't available for purchase for my half jackets yet but they should be around September.  They looked great in the Flak frame I tried on.

View Postsmb4ua, on 28 April 2018 - 07:32 PM, said:

I ordered the rx prizm golf dark about a week ago in the gauge 8 frame. Frame color I wanted is on backorder. Hereís hoping they arrive soon.

Edited by Cwing, 28 April 2018 - 08:34 PM.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G25 5-U
Cleveland RTX 54*
TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
Seemore si5 & PING Ketsch refinished by Continental Golf
Garmin g6/Caddytek V2
http://www.golfwrx.c...ings-witb-2013/

#59 Aaronwilson_95

Aaronwilson_95

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442640
  • Ebay ID:Aronwilson1995
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:38 PM

https://www.mauijim....a-universal-fit

I play in these and love them

#60 GSDriver

GSDriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 493210
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:38 AM

Prizm dark might be a bit too dark for early am, kind of how MJ gray are kinda dark.  Prizms are awesome, thinking of getting some progressives made, but for now I wear MJ HCL Bronze which work sunup to sundown and if overcast and windy.

Epic Speeder 661
Razr Fit Xtreme 4/7 woods
Epic Hyrbrid 23*
Apex Pro 5-P Recoil 110
MD Slate Forged 52
PM Grind 58
- a host of Odysseys

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors