Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Slow, bad players - standards for help with pace of play

84 replies to this topic

#1 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479556
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

Edited with suggestions from commenters.

I'm a 2 handicap and go solo to the course a lot so I play with strangers a lot. I have a few guys I play with somewhat regularly and one guy isn't very good and takes a lot of time over the ball. Played yesterday and got joined up with a guy who was dreadfully slow and had to have shot 105. He took 20+ seconds over the ball for every shot and insisted in playing out every hole.

The two guys got me to thinking, what are some 'standard' things golfers should know and players in their group can encourage to keep the pace up? Round yesterday took nearly 5 hours and we never saw the group in front of us after the 1st hole. Now, I'm not starting this thread as a means of being pretentious or cocky about my ability. As the more experienced player in most groups I play with, I take it upon myself to assist those who haven't been playing long with pace of play. Here are my thoughts:

1. If you're going to shoot 100+, do it quickly. Pre-shot routine and time to take a shot should be no more than 30 seconds.
2. Once in a bunker, you get one chance to get it out...fairway or greenside, if the first shot doesn't get out then play the next shot from out of the bunker. If you are under a 10 handicap then 2 shots to get out of a bunker is ok.
3. If you're not on the green within 1shot over par for that hole then pick up and putt from a reasonable distance.
4. All drives or shots lost are a forward drop. No re-tee for OB.
5. 3 putt max on any hole.
6. Be ready to hit when it's your turn. Drop off your cart partner and drive to your ball after he/she has selected the ckub they'll use then drive to your ball and get ready to play. Pick up your playing partner after you've hit your shot.

Are these reasonable and what else could be added? AND is it fair to ask someone to observe these if their ability clearly shows that their practice is being done on the course? Everyone wants to have fun on the course so are these items an intrusion?

And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting these items be outlined on the first couple of holes based on a player's start. But each item could be addressed individually as the round progresses IF the pace of play is just terrible. And these items would also be suggestions NOT demands.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear from higher handicap players on this, as well as from others who have experienced this problem.

Edited by getitdaily, 30 December 2017 - 01:34 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 21345

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

One thing I'll say, while I agree that all things equal it's faster to shoot a lower score than a higher one (less shots takes less time if all other variables are constant)

However every year, the A class club championship takes the longest at our club and its not close. My friend who is a B typically plays his in 4 hours, the A's are typically close to 5

I think new players who don't know etiquette take the longest, and they tend to be higher indexes obviously. But for guys who understand etiquette, I don't really see a difference between high caps and low ones
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56, 60 w/S300
Odyssey O-Works #7 Red Tank

#3 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:25 AM

I agree with you completely on the low cap guys, in tournament play especially. The pga tour exacerbates this greatly by not clamping down on pace issues. The guys who take 30 seconds to get the line on their ball lined up, excessive green reading, or jordan spieth-esque waiting until everything is perfect to hit a shot are problems. I find it much easier to talk to these guys than newbies tho. Newbies need encouragement. Good players need a "come on man"..

#4 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

Some of us don't understand there are physical / mental issues within the society of golfers, just like everywhere else.

Yes, I had played with "slow" golfers, acquaintance or not....... some did it because they could not help it, some slow played because they incorporate the slow play into their game strategy ( especially when a $5 Nassau was on the line ).

With someone I had no knowledge of their back grounds, I'd observe first is they are relatively a new golfer.  With the new golfers, I'd reinforce of the importance of "keeping up " with the group ahead , or simple tell them the average time for each of the golf hole hole should be completed in 15 minutes or less.   You will be surprised that some of these "golfers" had no clue of the etiquette on the golf course, because they had no on to show them the rope.   Unlike some other countries with limited land use for golf course make the new golfers to take classroom lessons first before they could get on a real golf course.   But, If I'm stuck with helpless situation, I would excuse myself for reasons that I had to be somewhere soon to move ahead.

I had also observed that some golfers have issue of pulling the trigger ( aside from being relatively a new golfer ).  You can't hurry up those.  So apply the tactic of excusing myself and move ahead of your group trying to catch up with someone in front.  A few I had encountered had trouble with their eye sight , or did not know how to use the proper alignment.  A simple tip will cure the slow play in this case.

Being on the golf course is like driving down a single lane country road, just hope there isn't a tractor in front of you.  If there is, you'd wish you were in a 4 x 4.

Edited by wkuo3, 30 December 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#5 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:04 AM

Yeah, on a popular daily fee course, I'm not going to break away from the 4some to play solo and try to get through every other 4some for 12 holes. Plus, just moving along doesn't do anything to help the player understand etiquette. In situations where the player doesn't heed advice to pick up the pace i will play forward. If they're hitting 3 chip shots then I'll be on the green with my ball ready to be putted. Then I'll putt while they're either chipping again or getting ready to putt. Some passive aggressive actions are a last resort other than buggering myself into a constant wait on a 4some every hole and that rushed feeling to play the hole quickly to catch the next group.

#6 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 4483

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

New people who play slowly are all nervous. They have no idea what they’re doing and they’re terrified of making giant fools of themselves. When you pressure them to play faster (just to please you, really), you give them one more thing to be uncomfortable about. Most of them don’t have the ability to play faster. By adding to the pressure they feel, you’re probably causing them to play even slower.

#7 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 30 December 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

New people who play slowly are all nervous. They have no idea what they’re doing and they’re terrified of making giant fools of themselves. When you pressure them to play faster (just to please you, really), you give them one more thing to be uncomfortable about. Most of them don’t have the ability to play faster. By adding to the pressure they feel, you’re probably causing them to play even slower.

Your post is one of the reasons I made my original post. New players or players who don't play much, have things they need to learn. There is a tact in encouraging faster play. But leaving a slow player to play slowly because they might get nervous isn't the way to go. And, btw, encouraging faster play wasn't just for me. I look out for the group and the groups behind mine. Slow play has a trickle down that can affect the entire tee sheet behind the slow group.

Edited by getitdaily, 30 December 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#8 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,079 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 1179

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:34 AM

As DJ told Deck during the Pro-Am, "if you're lying 6 in the bunker and your partner is on the green, pick it up".
JBeam BM-435 Blackout 10* Matrix TP7HDX
TEE CBX 15* Accra Tour-Z RPG 382
Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Veylix Rome 988X
PING S55 4-W DGTI X100
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 56SS, & 60ES DGTI S400
Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai 2.0

#9 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4579

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

I'll address your five points. Obviously, if the course is not backed up, and the group is not keeping anyone waiting, these need not apply, but:

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

1. If you're going to shoot 100+, do it quickly. Pre-shot routine and time to take a shot should be no more than 20 seconds.

Hard to police, but this is an idea that ideally should apply to all golfers. 20 seconds is probably too short, though.  

2. Once in a bunker, you get one chance to get it out...fairway or greenside, if the first shot doesn't get out then play the next shot from out of the bunker.

If they're not slowing the course down, let 'em play it out. It's a chance to learn and improve. Plus, even pros don't always get out of a bunker first time. That said, after 3 or 4 shots, it's probably time to use the handwedge.

3. If you're not on the green within 1shot over par for that hole then pick up and putt from a reasonable distance.

So if a player is not on a par 4 in 5 shots, pick up and putt? Excluding cases where there's OB, something like this is not a bad idea. I would be more generous and say 2 over par (so with 2 putts end up with "double par" on a par 4).

4. All drives or shots lost are a forward drop. No re-tee for OB.

Many courses in Japan have this. It's not a bad idea, though I would like to see a bit of consistency on where to place the special tees for the 4th shot. Some holes I've seen have them ridiculously far forward, or far back.

5. 3 putt max on any hole.

I'm not sure why, but something about this rule rubs me the wrong way. That said, I agree with it! Shots on and around the greens slows play down more than anything else from what I've seen. If you haven't got the ball in the hole within three putts, call it a four-putt and pick up. Fair enough.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

#10 qwetz

qwetz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467512
  • Ebay ID:ttije00.1
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

playing everything forward drop would be excellent. I also think that excessive time looking for balls that are very clearly gone would speed everyone up tremendously.

G400 Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore VC 7.2x
G400 Stretch 3 Fujikura Rombax 95x
G400 5w Fujikura Rombax 95x
Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-8 PX 6.5
Mizuno MP-18 MB 9-PW PX 6.5
Mizuno S18 50.07/54.08/58.12 PX 6.0
Odyssey Versa #7CS

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Orlandogolfguru

Orlandogolfguru

OrlandoGolfGuru

• 1,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299712
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 645

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

i agree with all of the OPs suggestions, even they are just guidelines.  the real rule of thumb is just do the right thing.  if there is no one behind you, go ahead and take your time - if you are advanced and just thorough or a beginner and simply need more time to take some swings.  whatever.  if there is a group waiting - then add these guidelines to your routine to make it enjoyable for everyone.  i have 2 sons i play with, my 14 year old is fairly new and its my job to help him with this.  we absolutely do these things, pick up after 3 putts... move the ball forward to mine after a couple duffs, and if OB we move it outward.  however if no one is teaching you this, and you are just starting on your own - it's up to all of us to help folks out when we are paired up.  nicely of course.  i would love it if courses posted stuff like this - but they wont.  and even if they did people wouldnt follow it.  like keep pace of play, follow the group in front, 4:20 rounds - etc.  no one does it, and its a shame.
TaylorMade M4 10.5 Speeder Evo 2 Tour Spec
TaylorMade M2 HL 16.5 FK
TaylorMade M4 19 Speeder Evo 3
Ping i200 Nippon NS PRO
Titleist SM6 54 58
MannKrafted OGG 1/1
B330 RXS
Sun Mountain

#12 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 756

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

So you want others to play half a game for the honour of playing with you?

Play with someone else. You're a golf snob.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#13 Bad9

Bad9

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94897
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1819

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

I agree with Mtljeff. The slowest players at our course are the "good" players who act like they are on the PGA Tour. One group takes 5-6hrs in their casual rounds FFS.
Ping G SFT 12°/Phenom 50 r flex
Adams TL2 5w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Adams TL2 7w/Xcaliber FW r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 25°/Xcaliber HY r flex
Ping G 5-U/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 54°/Xcaliber r flex
Maltby Tricept 58°/Xcaliber r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

#14 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hotel California Escapee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 46712

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:20 PM

Just take the Arnie approach and post a "While we're young" sign at each tee, lol.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#15 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 29,513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 16741

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

No matter the skill level, some golfers simply lack awareness. For example, they will wait for someone to hit a shot before they go through their routine: calculate yardage, practice swings, etc. Simply being ready to hit as soon as it's your turn would expedite play. In addition, it technically may not be your turn, but if someone still hasn't reached their ball yet and you are ready to go, then hit your shot.

Same on the green. I see a lot of players wait until the other player has putted before they even begin to figure out what they want to do when it's their turn.

Carts: some people who take carts will drive to their partner's ball, and wait until he hits to go to their ball. In those rare instances I take a cart, I will either drop the person off and go to my ball, or leave the cart with him and walk to my ball club(s) in hand.

Doing these kind of things doesn't require skill or athletic ability, just a little common sense...and a bit of courtesy if there are groups behind.

Callaway GBB Epic
Callaway GBB Epic 4/7/9
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW
Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54/58/62
Callaway "O" Works #7

#16 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

View PostLondoner, on 30 December 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

You clearly didn't read my entire post or you don't understand the premise of it, which makes you ignorant. So please provide something useful or refrain from commenting.

#17 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostSean2, on 30 December 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

No matter the skill level, some golfers simply lack awareness. For example, they will wait for someone to hit a shot before they go through their routine: calculate yardage, practice swings, etc. Simply being ready to hit as soon as it's your turn would expedite play. In addition, it technically may not be your turn, but if someone still hasn't reached their ball yet and you are ready to go, then hit your shot.

Same on the green. I see a lot of players wait until the other player has putted before they even begin to figure out what they want to do when it's their turn.

Carts: some people who take carts will drive to their partner's ball, and wait until he hits to go to their ball. In those rare instances I take a cart, I will either drop the person off and go to my ball, or leave the cart with him and walk to my ball club(s) in hand.

Doing these kind of things doesn't require skill or athletic ability, just a little common sense...and a bit of courtesy if there are groups behind.

Awesome post. The "wait for my cart partner to hit before getting to my ball" deal is a problem too.

#18 2putttom

2putttom

# 1 Oregon Duck fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177144
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 4717

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

this from Sean2's post "....Simply being ready to hit as soon as it's your turn would expedite play. In addition, it technically may not be your turn, but if someone still hasn't reached their ball yet and you are ready to go, then hit your shot  "...

Edited by 2putttom, 30 December 2017 - 01:24 PM.

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
Adams CMB 4-6  MB2's 7-9 1 more season
Mizuno Mp 4 52 MP T7 56 &60
Bobby Grace Jericho II Tour S Bend
Oregon Ducks Bag

#19 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

You clearly didn't read my entire post or you don't understand the premise of it, which makes you ignorant. So please provide something useful or refrain from commenting.

Im not ignorant. I will comment where I want. Yes I read all your post.

I remember when I was struggling to break 100. It was one of the most exciting landmarks in my golfing career.  

You are advocating taking that away from people. But carry on with the insults, it sort of proves my point.
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#20 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 10:26 AM, said:

Your post is one of the reasons I made my original post. New players or players who don't play much, have things they need to learn. There is a tact in encouraging faster play. But leaving a slow player to play slowly because they might get nervous isn't the way to go. And, btw, encouraging faster play wasn't just for me. I look out for the group and the groups behind mine. Slow play has a trickle down that can affect the entire tee sheet behind the slow group.

However irritating it may be to those of us who play quickly, slow players paid the same fee and are entitled to play the same game we play. (Most of your suggestions require breaking the rules, do they not?)

It may be cynical, but I think slow play is a permanent fixture of golf. It used to drive me more nuts than it does now (so much so that I once played the Jeopardy theme song on my phone while a friend mine was doing whatever tf it was that takes him so damn long to hit a ball). It occurred to me how absurd and selfish it was for me to expect everyone to play as quickly as I want. The game and my slow friends became more enjoyable when I let go of that.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

View PostLondoner, on 30 December 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

I remember when I was struggling to break 100. It was one of the most exciting landmarks in my golfing career.  

You are advocating taking that away from people. But carry on with the insults, it sort of proves my point.

I guess "golf snob" wasn't the first insult thrown?

#22 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 30 December 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

However irritating it may be to those of us who play quickly, slow players paid the same fee and are entitled to play the same game we play. (Most of your suggestions require breaking the rules, do they not?)

It may be cynical, but I think slow play is a permanent fixture of golf. It used to drive me more nuts than it does now (so much so that I once played the Jeopardy theme song on my phone while a friend mine was doing whatever tf it was that takes him so damn long to hit a ball). It occurred to me how absurd and selfish it was for me to expect everyone to play as quickly as I want. The game and my slow friends became more enjoyable when I let go of that.

Isn't there an expectation  (and for some courses a requirement) that a round be done in a certain amount of time? Fee paid-check. Round in 4:30-check.

Your post comes down to rights and responsibilities. The slow player has the right to a round of golf. The player has the responsibility to complete the round in the allotted time set by the course or set by precedent by the golfing community.

#23 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:22
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

Are these reasonable
Some but I think you're wrong about them being the problem.

Five hours for a round is very unusual and such a rare event would have nothing to do with a golfer's abilities nor even how long they take to address the ball. Spending 20 seconds over the ball is not even particularly long. Look at it this way - you say they shot 105 so that's a grand total of 2,100 seconds spent 'over the ball'. Now I've done a quick test and I reckon most people would take 10 seconds (including a practice swing). So this person you're complaining about wasted a grand total of 1,100 seconds. So he cost you about 18 minutes over a 5 hour round. Gee.

Another chap I play with can take over half a minute - now that's annoying. But I've played with him and two other people and still made it round in less than four hours. It's more down to what people do when they are moving around. Some people are just not efficient in how they move - buggy users in particular. Oh and as others  have said low handicappers are some of the slowest players.

So I'm afraid my response to you is to get off your high horse and look for other causes for the slowness. Understanding time and motion is a skill that very few people have so I'm not surprised that you're looking in the wrong place. It's not going to be related to the number of shots anyone makes or how long it takes to make them. It's mostly about how people move around the golf course and anyone, good or bad player, can be poor at that.

But ultimately I just don't see where your angst comes from. I can only ever remember one round that lasted five hours. Most are between 3.5 and 4.5 hours. Slow play is just not that big a deal in my experience. Sometimes you have to wait a minute or two before you can tee off. Big deal. I suspect that at the heart of this problem is that - like the majority of people - you have poor sense of time. When going to play golf set aside enough hours (I actually do go with five hours because it's so rare to reach that) then just play. Accept that you'll finish when you finish.

Edited by andrue, 30 December 2017 - 02:23 PM.

Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#24 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostLondoner, on 30 December 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

I guess "golf snob" wasn't the first insult thrown?
Its descriptive.
Dont you remember learning or improving? The thrill of breaking 100, 90, 80?
Were you never a "bad" golfer?
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#25 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,337 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Isn't there an expectation  (and for some courses a requirement) that a round be done in a certain amount of time? Fee paid-check. Round in 4:30-check.

Your post comes down to rights and responsibilities. The slow player has the right to a round of golf. The player has the responsibility to complete the round in the allotted time set by the course or set by precedent by the golfing community.

‘Precedent set by the golfing community’? Whatever the quiet chuckle version of ‘LOL!’ is. (“As mayor of the Munchkin City...”) There is no rule governing pace of play in the USGA rules. The notion a round should be played in 4:30, or less, is really more hope than expectation.

#26 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 30 December 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

New people who play slowly are all nervous. They have no idea what they're doing and they're terrified of making giant fools of themselves. When you pressure them to play faster (just to please you, really), you give them one more thing to be uncomfortable about. Most of them don't have the ability to play faster. By adding to the pressure they feel, you're probably causing them to play even slower.

'Precedent set by the golfing community'? Whatever the quiet chuckle version of 'LOL!' is. ("As mayor of the Munchkin City...") There is no rule governing pace of play in the USGA rules. The notion a round should be played in 4:30, or less, is really more hope than expectation.
golfing community = him
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#27 getitdaily

getitdaily

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:41 PM

Well the ignorance continues to abound. The USGA enforces a slow play penalty in their tournaments. The r&a does as well. Precedent for pace of play has been around longer than I've been alive. But you two continue on...

#28 andrue

andrue

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:22
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Heh - my first attempt at a post was along similar lines but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was the old 'electronic communication' problem. But it does read a lot like 'get out of my way you rubbish golfers'. Here's my list of causes of slow play and all of these have little to do with ability:

* Not being ready to play when it's your turn. I'm eyeing up the possibilities as soon as I know roughly where my ball is. I've often got a club out of my bag before I've even reached my ball.
* Don't just stop when someone else has reached their ball. If it's safe to do so continue on to your own ball. If the course is busy do away with honour order and just play ready golf. If you're ready to swing then swing.
* Leaving bag or trolley on the wrong side of the green. Put it near the exit route. Don't walk toward your ball when it's on the green - walk toward the exit and leave your bag there. That will often give you additional views of the green so will help with putting.
* Not leaving the green in a timely fashion. The classic problem. Putt out, grab your bag and go. I don't even pause to put my putter away if someone is waiting behind me.
* Buggies always being driven to every ball. When you reach the point where the paths diverge let one player get off and walk to their ball. You should by then know which club is needed so grab it meet up with the buggy later.
Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#29 farmer

farmer

Hall of Fame

• 6,956 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
GolfWRX Likes : 2817

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:46 PM

OP has some good ideas, but absolutely impossible to implement or enforce.  The guys I know who are slow players are slow because, for them, golf is a social activity.  So, there is a lot of idle bs on the tees, conversations on the greens, and, as Sean said above, they are never ready to play.  Forum members tend to be way more serious, and are way more interested in playing golf than the average guy out for an afternoon with his Buds.  (Please note how I got beer and friends melded with just one word.)

#30 Londoner

Londoner

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

View Postgetitdaily, on 30 December 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

Well the ignorance continues to abound. The USGA enforces a slow play penalty in their tournaments. The r&a does as well. Precedent for pace of play has been around longer than I've been alive. But you two continue on...
You never made it clear you were in a tournament.
Also ive never seen anyone in a tournament give up in a bunker or pick up after 3 puts. In fact non of your dictats.

People pay for their game, it takes a certain type of person to start telling ghem to pick up or stop playing, because they cant keep up with you.

I can see why you've not got a regular 4 ball.

ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors