Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 5 votes

The next Mizuno JPX iron release? PICS ADDED Pg 4


766 replies to this topic

#31 ssfranny

ssfranny

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77345
  • Joined: 03/13/2009
  • Location:Omaha,Ne
  • Ebay ID:sfranny
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

 jetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

 tannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 ssfranny

ssfranny

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77345
  • Joined: 03/13/2009
  • Location:Omaha,Ne
  • Ebay ID:sfranny
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

 Santiago Golf, on 30 December 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Forever wishing the 900 tours came in lefty!!!!

Haha never happen I wish MMCs did which shouldve been one model if they did in LH

2

#33 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

    I Strive to make you Better

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Joined: 12/13/2011
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1810

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

 ssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

 Santiago Golf, on 30 December 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Forever wishing the 900 tours came in lefty!!!!

Haha never happen I wish MMCs did which shouldve been one model if they did in LH

I agree with this too! I played the mp59s forever. Loved them
Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX (240, can 260+ if needed)
Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 2 iron; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 85X
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 205) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (190, 180, 170) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (160, 145, 130)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (110): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

3

#34 Lefty431

Lefty431

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76490
  • Joined: 03/02/2009
  • Location:Tn
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

 ssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

 jetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

 tannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.

I love my mp18 sc's they feel and look awesome, but the above is kinda true!  played my p790s today and I swear they make the game easier, hit a 180 yard, up hill par 3 with my 6 iron!  It also looked and felt awesome!  Decisions...  Decisions!!!

4

#35 tucker500

tucker500

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113879
  • Joined: 08/30/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

 Lefty431, on 05 July 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

 ssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

 jetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

 tannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.

I love my mp18 sc's they feel and look awesome, but the above is kinda true!  played my p790s today and I swear they make the game easier, hit a 180 yard, up hill par 3 with my 6 iron!  It also looked and felt awesome!  Decisions...  Decisions!!!

I was just out last week and someone was talking about the same thing.  Loved his 900T but was 1.5 clubs longer with the P790. 790s also had a little extra in them when needed.  I guess mainly due to the forgiveness on a hard swing, where the 900T had to be struck perfectly.






5

#36 Fairwindsgolfer

Fairwindsgolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459000
  • Joined: 03/14/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

 ssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

 jetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

 tannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?

6

#37 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

 tucker500, on 06 July 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

 Lefty431, on 05 July 2018 - 03:08 PM, said:

 ssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

 jetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

 tannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.

I love my mp18 sc's they feel and look awesome, but the above is kinda true!  played my p790s today and I swear they make the game easier, hit a 180 yard, up hill par 3 with my 6 iron!  It also looked and felt awesome!  Decisions...  Decisions!!!

I was just out last week and someone was talking about the same thing.  Loved his 900T but was 1.5 clubs longer with the P790. 790s also had a little extra in them when needed.  I guess mainly due to the forgiveness on a hard swing, where the 900T had to be struck perfectly.

Everybody loves the extra distance they get with the P790 iron, particularly in the longer irons. For my money, and a big reason why I sold my P790’s, is I was more consistent and accurate with my MMC’s. Not to mention I liked the feel of contact the Mizunos better. The Mizuno irons went through the turf better and slayed the rough. The P790’s and MMC’s were built to identical specs for lie, length and swing weight so the only variable was the standard loft of each iron.  I don’t know if it was my increased expectation hitting  a 7 iron from 175 yards with the P790 rather than a 6 iron with my MMC’s but in my head to head testing my Mizuno irons were better. I have zero regrets selling my P790’s. However the new 919 Forged (900F replacement) will be on my radar and will get a thorough testing.
Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5° driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15° fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 51-08, 56-14 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron '18 Global Limited Select Fastback
Scotty Cameron '18 Select Fastback
Titleist Pro V1

7

#38 noodle3872

noodle3872

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8163
  • Joined: 11/26/2005
  • Location:Chilliwack B.C. Canada
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Noodle3872
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

 Fairwindsgolfer, on 06 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

 ssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

 jetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

 tannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?

Depends on the loft of your current 6i.  Most Mizuno irons are about consistency and playability not distance.
Taylormade 2018 M4 9.5° driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 15° fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
Taylormade 2017 M2 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
Mizuno MP-18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 51-08, 56-14 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
Scotty Cameron '18 Global Limited Select Fastback
Scotty Cameron '18 Select Fastback
Titleist Pro V1

8

#39 Night train

Night train

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1758

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:37 PM

The 900 JPX line was quite popular and set the bar pretty high.........it will be interesting to see if the performance of the new lineup can actually exceed the 900 lineup.

9

#40 Fairwindsgolfer

Fairwindsgolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459000
  • Joined: 03/14/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

[quote name='noodle3872' timestamp='1530908970' post='17639026']
[quote name='Fairwindsgolfer' timestamp='1530908057' post='17638952']
[quote name='ssfranny' timestamp='1530801055' post='17631868']
[quote name='jetmech879' timestamp='1514637552' post='16614598']
[quote name='tannerdc' timestamp='1514634644' post='16614526']
Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?
[/quote]

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!
[/quote]


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
[/quote]
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?
[/quote]

Depends on the loft of your current 6i.  Most Mizuno irons are about consistency and playability not distance.
[/quote]
Understood. I forgot to list the loft for my 6-iron. It is 32 degrees and is the old Bridgestone j33 combo

[quote name='noodle3872' timestamp='1530908970' post='17639026']
[quote name='Fairwindsgolfer' timestamp='1530908057' post='17638952']
[quote name='ssfranny' timestamp='1530801055' post='17631868']
[quote name='jetmech879' timestamp='1514637552' post='16614598']
[quote name='tannerdc' timestamp='1514634644' post='16614526']
Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?
[/quote]

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!
[/quote]


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
[/quote]
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?
[/quote]

Depends on the loft of your current 6i.  Most Mizuno irons are about consistency and playability not distance.
[/quote]
Understood. I forgot to list the loft for my 6-iron. It is 32 degrees and is the old Bridgestone j33 combo


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 Fairwindsgolfer

Fairwindsgolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459000
  • Joined: 03/14/2017
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

I apologize for the double post regarding the Loft in my 6-iron

11

#42 trhode

trhode

    Fitter / Builder

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67563
  • Joined: 10/13/2008
  • Location:INDY
GolfWRX Likes : 403

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

12

#43 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Joined: 07/04/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

View Posttrhode, on 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

I had MP18s for a while and liked them, though I did sell them.  They are as long as any players iron of same loft, but not as long as P790 because the TM lofts are stronger.

Totally different irons. The P790 is a game improvement model with an insert face and strong trampoline effect. They fly longer, do not feel as good to me, and they are clunkier and to me not as good off all lies. But the distance is attractive and because of their design they fly high your 8 iron goes a club longer but still flies as high as an 8 iron should.

In the scoring irons, the Mizunos are more precise. Definitely more nimble and are designed to be.

I do like getting more distance but in all my testing, I ended up with Ping i200 in power spec. At $90 per club fitted it was hard to beat. They are as long as the P790 but I like the i200 sole and turf interaction more. If anything, I might drop in a Glide PW and gap wedge, but the i200 has been very impressive. Hit them head to head vs the 790 a few times to get a good sample and both go far. The p790 is a nice looking club that does a nice job of blending in the thick soles, but the heads do feel different. The Pings felt better and I was more consistent on distances. I carry the 4 iron about 205 with them and they have been a game changer on long par 3s.

The Mizuno that matches up to the p790 would be the 900 Hot Metal IMO. The MP18 SC is more like the 750.
Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
Callaway XHot2 Pro 3 wood, 15 degrees, Aldila Tour Green stiff shaft
Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
Titleist 816 H1 hybrid, 19 degree set to 20, Diamana Blue 60S shaft

Miura CB57 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125 stiff shafts, soft-stepped
Ping i200, 4-PW, power spec lofts, Dynamic Gold 120 stiff shafts
Mizuno S5 50-degree gap wedge, Nippon 1150 stiff shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw, 58-degree wedge, X grind, DG S200 shaft
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip
Argolf Avalon (small, semi-circle mallet) 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip.

13

#44 golfpros1

golfpros1

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
  • Joined: 03/22/2010
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2349

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

View PostdmeeksDC, on 07 July 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View Posttrhode, on 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

I had MP18s for a while and liked them, though I did sell them.  They are as long as any players iron of same loft, but not as long as P790 because the TM lofts are stronger.

Totally different irons. The P790 is a game improvement model with an insert face and strong trampoline effect. They fly longer, do not feel as good to me, and they are clunkier and to me not as good off all lies. But the distance is attractive and because of their design they fly high your 8 iron goes a club longer but still flies as high as an 8 iron should.

In the scoring irons, the Mizunos are more precise. Definitely more nimble and are designed to be.

I do like getting more distance but in all my testing, I ended up with Ping i200 in power spec. At $90 per club fitted it was hard to beat. They are as long as the P790 but I like the i200 sole and turf interaction more. If anything, I might drop in a Glide PW and gap wedge, but the i200 has been very impressive. Hit them head to head vs the 790 a few times to get a good sample and both go far. The p790 is a nice looking club that does a nice job of blending in the thick soles, but the heads do feel different. The Pings felt better and I was more consistent on distances. I carry the 4 iron about 205 with them and they have been a game changer on long par 3s.

The Mizuno that matches up to the p790 would be the 900 Hot Metal IMO. The MP18 SC is more like the 750.


Did you try the jpx 900 forged?  They are most like the i200s but feel even softer

Edited by golfpros1, 07 July 2018 - 09:31 AM.

What's In The Bag:
Golf Jobs
Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged w/ Project X 6.0
Ball: Titleist ProV1 / Taylormade TP5x
Bag: Titleist

14

#45 reider69

reider69

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 376572
  • Joined: 05/19/2015
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:golf
GolfWRX Likes : 245

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

View Postgolfpros1, on 07 July 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostdmeeksDC, on 07 July 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View Posttrhode, on 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

I had MP18s for a while and liked them, though I did sell them.  They are as long as any players iron of same loft, but not as long as P790 because the TM lofts are stronger.

Totally different irons. The P790 is a game improvement model with an insert face and strong trampoline effect. They fly longer, do not feel as good to me, and they are clunkier and to me not as good off all lies. But the distance is attractive and because of their design they fly high your 8 iron goes a club longer but still flies as high as an 8 iron should.

In the scoring irons, the Mizunos are more precise. Definitely more nimble and are designed to be.

I do like getting more distance but in all my testing, I ended up with Ping i200 in power spec. At $90 per club fitted it was hard to beat. They are as long as the P790 but I like the i200 sole and turf interaction more. If anything, I might drop in a Glide PW and gap wedge, but the i200 has been very impressive. Hit them head to head vs the 790 a few times to get a good sample and both go far. The p790 is a nice looking club that does a nice job of blending in the thick soles, but the heads do feel different. The Pings felt better and I was more consistent on distances. I carry the 4 iron about 205 with them and they have been a game changer on long par 3s.

The Mizuno that matches up to the p790 would be the 900 Hot Metal IMO. The MP18 SC is more like the 750.


Did you try the jpx 900 forged?  They are most like the i200s but feel even softer
From everything I have read the 900 forged are a thinner top line but a longer blade then i200s.  The 900 also have a thinner sole and have more distance.  Both are reviewed favorably.

Cobra F7 - Matrix Ozik Black Tie M4 70 X
Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 - 54 and 58
Never Compromise Gambler Flush, Garsen Ultimate Grip

15

#46 jcfountain33

jcfountain33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196490
  • Joined: 08/05/2012
  • Location:Loganville Ga
  • Ebay ID:jcfountain333
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:42 PM

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postjetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View Posttannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.

I carry my MP5 or MP54 (which some say is short) 195yrds, nothing short about them, just depends what you are looking for. Traditionally lofted, not strong, but if you strengthen the lofts, they go just as far. I don't want or need strong lofts, I want my irons to go a consistent distance. If you are looking for a distance iron, a Mizuno MP us not what you want. For reference, I hit the JPX900 Hot Metal 6 iron 235yrds on indoor monitor.

16

#47 jcfountain33

jcfountain33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196490
  • Joined: 08/05/2012
  • Location:Loganville Ga
  • Ebay ID:jcfountain333
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 07 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

View Posttrhode, on 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

I personally couldn't hit the 900 Forged as consistently as I did the Tour or an MP.

17

#48 BlackM00Nlight

BlackM00Nlight

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422626
  • Joined: 04/26/2016
  • Location:Iowa
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Comparing Mizuno 6 iron to the TM 6 iron with super jacked lofts, lol.
Nike Vapor Fly 10.5 Tensei 55 S
Nike Vapor Fly 15 Tensei 65 S
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)
Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3up)
Nike Origin B1-01 35" putter
Nike RZN Tour Black
Nike TW 71 White/Pure Platinum
Nike TW 71 Wolf Grey/University Red
Nike TW 15 University Red/Black

Nike TW 15 Metallic Silver/Black
Nike TW 15 Black/University Red
Nike TW 15 Midnight Navy/Black
Nike Lunar Vapor Storm Black/Solar Red
Nike Performance Cart IV Black/Silver
Nike Vapor Fly Umbrella
Bag Boy Tri-Swivel II Push-Cart Black

18

#49 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440224
  • Joined: 09/11/2016
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 821

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

View PostFairwindsgolfer, on 06 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postjetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View Posttannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?


Where on the face are you hitting the ball if the 6 iron is only going 150 yards??

I tried the MP18's and the SC's over the course of 6 weeks on course testing and found them to be really cool. I had the SC's were right in the running but I found that I really had to step on them to get them to go as far as the 900 forged I tried a few weeks later.

Distances were perfectly fine, felt wonderful off of the face, sounded great. It was on the mis-hits that I found them to be not as forgiving. That's an obvious thing to point out I know but golf is hard enough without having to operate at the limit to make sure 100% contact happens.



19

#50 Night train

Night train

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7139
  • Joined: 10/26/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1758

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostJonnyKrasnodar, on 07 July 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

View PostFairwindsgolfer, on 06 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postjetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View Posttannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?


Where on the face are you hitting the ball if the 6 iron is only going 150 yards??

I tried the MP18's and the SC's over the course of 6 weeks on course testing and found them to be really cool. I had the SC's were right in the running but I found that I really had to step on them to get them to go as far as the 900 forged I tried a few weeks later.

Distances were perfectly fine, felt wonderful off of the face, sounded great. It was on the mis-hits that I found them to be not as forgiving. That's an obvious thing to point out I know but golf is hard enough without having to operate at the limit to make sure 100% contact happens.


Not everyone on this forum is still young and strong.......Have you seen Jack Nicklaus hit a golf ball lately, it doesn't go very far.........but there was a time it did!

........father time is undefeated


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Joined: 07/04/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

View Postgolfpros1, on 07 July 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

View PostdmeeksDC, on 07 July 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

View Posttrhode, on 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

I had MP18s for a while and liked them, though I did sell them.  They are as long as any players iron of same loft, but not as long as P790 because the TM lofts are stronger.

Totally different irons. The P790 is a game improvement model with an insert face and strong trampoline effect. They fly longer, do not feel as good to me, and they are clunkier and to me not as good off all lies. But the distance is attractive and because of their design they fly high your 8 iron goes a club longer but still flies as high as an 8 iron should.

In the scoring irons, the Mizunos are more precise. Definitely more nimble and are designed to be.

I do like getting more distance but in all my testing, I ended up with Ping i200 in power spec. At $90 per club fitted it was hard to beat. They are as long as the P790 but I like the i200 sole and turf interaction more. If anything, I might drop in a Glide PW and gap wedge, but the i200 has been very impressive. Hit them head to head vs the 790 a few times to get a good sample and both go far. The p790 is a nice looking club that does a nice job of blending in the thick soles, but the heads do feel different. The Pings felt better and I was more consistent on distances. I carry the 4 iron about 205 with them and they have been a game changer on long par 3s.

The Mizuno that matches up to the p790 would be the 900 Hot Metal IMO. The MP18 SC is more like the 750.


Did you try the jpx 900 forged?  They are most like the i200s but feel even softer

I love the 900 Forged. If I did not go with Pings my next choice was the 900 Forged. I just wanted a more forgiving iron and of those two I found the i200 let me get away with more.

Plus, I have always had at least one set of MP irons around because I love Mizuno. Currently have MP67 w/Nippon 1150GH S and MP53 w/KBS Tour S. Both excellent in different ways.

The i200 is intended as something player-esque that will work well if I have not played or hit balls and am not feeling sharp, though in my two rounds with them they have been impressive, period. Definitely has helped courses play a little shorter for me. The fitting was done outdoors and the clubs have been as good as they were then.
Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
Callaway XHot2 Pro 3 wood, 15 degrees, Aldila Tour Green stiff shaft
Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
Titleist 816 H1 hybrid, 19 degree set to 20, Diamana Blue 60S shaft

Miura CB57 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125 stiff shafts, soft-stepped
Ping i200, 4-PW, power spec lofts, Dynamic Gold 120 stiff shafts
Mizuno S5 50-degree gap wedge, Nippon 1150 stiff shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw, 58-degree wedge, X grind, DG S200 shaft
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip
Argolf Avalon (small, semi-circle mallet) 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip.

21

#52 tucker500

tucker500

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113879
  • Joined: 08/30/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:47 PM

View Postjcfountain33, on 07 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postjetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View Posttannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.

I carry my MP5 or MP54 (which some say is short) 195yrds, nothing short about them, just depends what you are looking for. Traditionally lofted, not strong, but if you strengthen the lofts, they go just as far. I don't want or need strong lofts, I want my irons to go a consistent distance. If you are looking for a distance iron, a Mizuno MP us not what you want. For reference, I hit the JPX900 Hot Metal 6 iron 235yrds on indoor monitor.

If you hit ANY 6 iron 235 (even 195) yards then you aren't really in the same discussion the majority of us are.

You hit the hot metal further.  So you support the statement that the 5 and 54 are short in comparison.

22

#53 jcfountain33

jcfountain33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196490
  • Joined: 08/05/2012
  • Location:Loganville Ga
  • Ebay ID:jcfountain333
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:26 PM

View Posttucker500, on 07 July 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View Postjcfountain33, on 07 July 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postjetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View Posttannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.

I carry my MP5 or MP54 (which some say is short) 195yrds, nothing short about them, just depends what you are looking for. Traditionally lofted, not strong, but if you strengthen the lofts, they go just as far. I don't want or need strong lofts, I want my irons to go a consistent distance. If you are looking for a distance iron, a Mizuno MP us not what you want. For reference, I hit the JPX900 Hot Metal 6 iron 235yrds on indoor monitor.

If you hit ANY 6 iron 235 (even 195) yards then you aren't really in the same discussion the majority of us are.

You hit the hot metal further.  So you support the statement that the 5 and 54 are short in comparison.
No shorter than any other 30* forged one piece iron. Jacked lofts and thin face clubs add distance, but are usually less consistent.

23

#54 ssfranny

ssfranny

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77345
  • Joined: 03/13/2009
  • Location:Omaha,Ne
  • Ebay ID:sfranny
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

View PostFairwindsgolfer, on 06 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postjetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View Posttannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?

Im just going off my impressions last few MPs I have had 54s, 25 and demo MP18 SC were shorter than im used to.

24

#55 ssfranny

ssfranny

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77345
  • Joined: 03/13/2009
  • Location:Omaha,Ne
  • Ebay ID:sfranny
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:54 AM

View PostJonnyKrasnodar, on 07 July 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

View PostFairwindsgolfer, on 06 July 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View Postjetmech879, on 30 December 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

View Posttannerdc, on 30 December 2017 - 06:50 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies.  I love the feel of 900F, but really prefer the chrome look of my 850F.  This dilemma has me on the fence about getting a MP-18 SC set, but don't want buyers remorse in the summer of '18!  (I know...MMC...but something about them just doesn't feel right)

Do we typically get to see a preview at the PGA show in January?

Trust me, if you get the mp18 SC's you will not have any buyers remorse! Freaking amazing irons!


Yes if you like hitting 150 yard 6 irons.
I am within a month of pulling the trigger on some mp sc's, and would like some additional feedback from people that found that the lineup is not very long.
I certainly don't want to be buying a set and losing out on a lot of distance.
my average distance with a 6-iron is 170 on the Fly. Should I expect that to be less if I went with the MP line?


Where on the face are you hitting the ball if the 6 iron is only going 150 yards??

I tried the MP18's and the SC's over the course of 6 weeks on course testing and found them to be really cool. I had the SC's were right in the running but I found that I really had to step on them to get them to go as far as the 900 forged I tried a few weeks later.

Distances were perfectly fine, felt wonderful off of the face, sounded great. It was on the mis-hits that I found them to be not as forgiving. That's an obvious thing to point out I know but golf is hard enough without having to operate at the limit to make sure 100% contact happens.


Well my stock 6 iron is 160-165 Im almost 50 and dont have the fastest swingspeed.  However am a 3-4 handi and generally with irons hit center of face.  I just found if you werent precise with SC they disnt go anywhere.  I had better luck with blades frankly.


25

#56 ssfranny

ssfranny

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77345
  • Joined: 03/13/2009
  • Location:Omaha,Ne
  • Ebay ID:sfranny
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:57 AM

View Postjcfountain33, on 07 July 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

View Posttrhode, on 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

I personally couldn't hit the 900 Forged as consistently as I did the Tour or an MP.


I had 900 Forged with Modus 105 when they first came out and they launched low for me.  Would hit green and release.

26

#57 Tzoid

Tzoid

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Joined: 08/14/2005
  • Location:Maryland
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 441

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

View Postssfranny, on 08 July 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

View Postjcfountain33, on 07 July 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

View Posttrhode, on 07 July 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Hit them in the middle of the face and they go. On the toe, not so much. That's the nature of a players club. I hit the MP18's a club farther than the JPX900 forged consistently.

I personally couldn't hit the 900 Forged as consistently as I did the Tour or an MP.


I had 900 Forged with Modus 105 when they first came out and they launched low for me.  Would hit green and release.

The Modus 120 or 130 would have been a better fit but I know Mizuno initially only offered the 105
Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges  Nippon WV 115 Shafts
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
Titleist Pro V-1X

27

#58 JonnyKrasnodar

JonnyKrasnodar

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 440224
  • Joined: 09/11/2016
  • Location:UK
GolfWRX Likes : 821

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

That makes sense I guess. I preferred the blades over the SC's too to be honest as the performance overall was pretty consistent. Definitely under consideration for the next time I'm reviewing that part of the bag.

28

#59 Oknows

Oknows

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 332809
  • Joined: 08/10/2014
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 134

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

Have a set of 900 Forged on the way. Really wanted the MMC, but am a high ball hitter and figured the lower trajectory and little bit of extra help would be a good idea.
Ping G400 MAX at 8* w/ Diamana W 70x
Callaway Epic SZ 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75
Ping G 17.5 w/ Tour 80
Titleist 816 H1 23*
PING i210 5-GW w/ PX LZ 6.5
Callaway MD3 56* w/ DG s400
Callaway MD3 60* w/ DG s400
SeeMore Si5
Srixon Z Star XV

29

#60 Happyday_J

Happyday_J

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212051
  • Joined: 11/19/2012
  • Location:Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

View PostSantiago Golf, on 05 July 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

View Postssfranny, on 05 July 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

View PostSantiago Golf, on 30 December 2017 - 04:43 PM, said:

Forever wishing the 900 tours came in lefty!!!!

Haha never happen I wish MMCs did which shouldve been one model if they did in LH

I agree with this too! I played the mp59s forever. Loved them


I would love this. I am currently on my 3rd set of Mp68s and will be in the market for new irons soon and the left handed iron offerings of mizuno are starting to have me look elsewhere.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors