Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Club Champion Fitting Sale

66 replies to this topic

#61 STPBMW

STPBMW

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451532
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

View Postvci15, on 31 December 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Got fitted last year and been slowly acquiring my shafts and irons through GolfWRX or eBay. Through the year I noticed a lot of other folks being fitted to the same brand shaft as mine (Accra) and the fact that whenever I see them on eBay or forums, its because they were originally from Club Champion. Sometime seems fishy with that.

This is what I don't like a CC. They are pushing product that fits their agenda. After 5 minutes I knew the head was going to be an epic, not because of the results but because of the sales pitch and the "top Callaway fitter" banner.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Silicon Valley Dale

Silicon Valley Dale

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487608
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:15 PM

View PostQwiklap, on 12 January 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

Well -- fitting got going a little after 2:30.  And it ran to about 6pm.  But I ran out of gas (too many swings -- over 200 fully swings).  I tried to swing driver at the end -- but my SS was down 8 mph and accuracy (in terms of where on the face I was hitting) way off versus my warm-up.

But we worked on irons for a while (looking at shafts and heads) and putter (SAM fitting).  And I came away accomplishing my goals on those two areas.  I know what works better/best for me.  And I learned a lot about my specs.

Jim (my fitter) apologized profusely -- apparently the guy in his morning fitting went way long (wanting to hit all kinds of stuff) - try everything, etc.  So that customer was very inconsiderate of Jim's time -- and caused my fitting to get screwed over. Jim offered to have me back another time (after all the new woods come out) to work on woods, hybrids and wedges.  That was a great gesture.  And made me happy.

When I got home (which is a 30 min drive for me) -- I found on my phone an email from Jim.  He had spoken to Club Champion corporate - and was refunding fitting fee.  And he still wants me to come back.  Now that ... is making it right.

At the end of the day - I learned:

1.  My irons are too short by about 1/2"
2.  My swing weight is way off (at C7) -- this is likely because I installed heavier mid-sized grips.  Somewhere in D2 to D4 ranges is probably ideal for me.
3.  I actually like my clubheads -- but AP1 and Cally Epic are close (but I would never pay the price Epic's cost).
4.  I hit Steelfiber i95 quite well (he had me in stiff -- but I think regular might work better).
5.  I am actually standard lie (or maybe 1* upright).
6.  A face balanced putter would work better for me.  But working on the stroke is more important.
7.  I need to work on my putter address alignment (I suck at aiming).

All in all -- I had a bad experience at Club Champion ... but I would still recommend it because they made it right for me, and certainly know what they are doing.

Mistakes happen all the time and in all walks of life. It looks like a mistake was made, through no fault of your own-and if Jim is truthful-really none of their own. I'm more interested in how an entity responds to adversity than in what creates the adversity in the first place. It looks like Jim specifically and CC as a whole, did everything they could to make this right. That means a lot to me.

PS: I'm sorry for tying Jim up for 6.5 hours, they just have soooo many choices.... :) Kidding of course. Which is why I don't do a fitting. I'd screw someone over somewhere. I'd be the kid in the candy store, "ooh ooh, can I try that one? That one?? That one??" Much like my day to day grind, I'd be the first one in and last one out.

#63 Shades234

Shades234

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446016
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

View PostSTPBMW, on 12 January 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

View Postvci15, on 31 December 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Got fitted last year and been slowly acquiring my shafts and irons through GolfWRX or eBay. Through the year I noticed a lot of other folks being fitted to the same brand shaft as mine (Accra) and the fact that whenever I see them on eBay or forums, its because they were originally from Club Champion. Sometime seems fishy with that.

This is what I don't like a CC. They are pushing product that fits their agenda. After 5 minutes I knew the head was going to be an epic, not because of the results but because of the sales pitch and the "top Callaway fitter" banner.

So the results were worse but you were still told it was the best driver for you? When I got fitted, I took 3 swings with the Epic and moved on without batting an eye.
Titleist 917D3 8.75 - Accra Tour Z X465 M5
Titleist 917F2 14.25 - Paderson KG Fairway KG860-F40
TaylorMade 2017 M1 H 19 - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 95 Hybrid X
Miura CB-501 4-9 - Oban CT-115X
Vokey SM6 48F, 52F, 56S, 60S - Oban CT-115X
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#64 6x6

6x6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352699
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted Yesterday, 03:48 PM

I'm thinking of getting a fitting as it's been 4 years since I was fit for my Apex irons and Alpha 815 driver. I have questions about their shaft recommendations. I'm pretty much a novice as I've never heard of Accra, Oban and others. I'm not going to spend a lot on an expensive shaft that they might recommend as I don't have 2k or more for clubs.

Do they give you a printout of your numbers and specs that would allow to compare the high priced shafts with other options? Do they have all the shafts that Callaway offers for the Epic or TM offers on an M1/M2?

I guess what I'm asking would I be able to go on Callaway Preowned and find an Epic driver with a shaft close to what my fitter suggested?

#65 thevaporz

thevaporz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted Yesterday, 03:54 PM

^Yes. They carry every shaft except UST and Matrix brands.

#66 6x6

6x6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352699
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM

View Postthevaporz, on 18 January 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

^Yes. They carry every shaft except UST and Matrix brands.

Thanks, booking the full bag.

#67 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
  • Handicap:@ 6
GolfWRX Likes : 718

Posted Yesterday, 04:39 PM

I'm a fan of CC. That's not to say that some other place might not be better, but I think the guys at the Philly location are great and know what they're doing.

I'd offer the following:

- If you don't want to be sold on something you can't afford, then ask that you not try anything you can't afford.
- I think they waive the fitting fee if you buy clubs through them. So, see if that's economical for you.
- The higher cost of clubs bought through them undoubtedly pays for the fitters, rent, etc. Viewed that way, the prices are understandable.
- If you have no intention of buying anything from them, go ahead and tell the fitter up front.
- Unless your CC is known to do shabby work, there's a benefit to buying through CC and having them build your clubs exactly to spec.
- If you get to the course with your newly spec'd clubs and they're just not right, CC will work to get things sorted out.

I've said it in another CC thread, but the last time I was at CC, I overhead some of the fitting of a local college player looking to improve on his irons. After 20 minutes or so, the fitter said "Man, I'd love to be able to sell you a new set of clubs, but I can't improve on your current set up." I thought that was mighty honest of him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors