Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Miura vs Epon Wedges....??

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 PVJAG

PVJAG

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55015
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys I am about to take the plunge into a new set of wedges and would like to get some opinions on the Miura K Grind and Epon Tour Wedges.

To this point I have only hit the K Grind 56. Anyone here hit both? Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Tzoid

Tzoid

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

View PostPVJAG, on 28 December 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

Hey guys I am about to take the plunge into a new set of wedges and would like to get some opinions on the Miura K Grind and Epon Tour Wedges.

To this point I have only hit the K Grind 56. Anyone here hit both? Thanks!

I can't comment on either but 2nd swing is blowing out Miura at crazy low prices.
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 degree Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Vokey SM6 50F 54S 58M
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Titleist Pro V-1X

#3 Bravo36

Bravo36

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30879
  • Ebay ID:bravo36
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:01 AM

I have the 210 and 213 series of Epon wedges currently in 50-54-60.  I have not hit the Epon tours.  I have had several Miuras, (K,C, and Y) in the past which I have since given to my son.  He was excited to get them.

In my experience, the Epon series that I have are extremely reliable.  In the feel department, there is no equal, again, IMO.  They are very soft, easy to manipulate, perfect spin, and easy to hit.  While I thought the Miuras had some of these attributes, they did not possess all of them...IMO.

Don't misunderstand me, the Miuras are very good wedges, though I found the feel to be a little on the harsh side and sound a little clicky. Picky?  Yes I am.  At the price per club for either setup, I think you have to be.

I believe that Epons take the cake all around and I won't be swayed.

Now, let me grab my popcorn.

#4 Bigmean

Bigmean

Everything is Relative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344303
  • Handicap:JDM
GolfWRX Likes : 5528

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

Take this for what it is worth.  My current wedges are the onoff shingo 52/58.  They are to me superior to miura wedge series wedges I have used.  I like the Miuras, I like the miura feel, but I love the soft endo in wedges.
Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
            Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
            Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

#5 pldbryan

pldbryan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204793
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

Do any of the main big box golf stores carry either of these. Would love to try them out but I will be damned if I can find them anywhere to even look at

#6 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1042

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostBravo36, on 30 December 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

I have the 210 and 213 series of Epon wedges currently in 50-54-60.  I have not hit the Epon tours.  I have had several Miuras, (K,C, and Y) in the past which I have since given to my son.  He was excited to get them.

In my experience, the Epon series that I have are extremely reliable.  In the feel department, there is no equal, again, IMO.  They are very soft, easy to manipulate, perfect spin, and easy to hit.  While I thought the Miuras had some of these attributes, they did not possess all of them...IMO.

Don't misunderstand me, the Miuras are very good wedges, though I found the feel to be a little on the harsh side and sound a little clicky. Picky?  Yes I am.  At the price per club for either setup, I think you have to be.

Clicky? Mura?

No effin' way.

I've played Miura off an on for 15 yrs - the wedges - and the K grind for 9 years - 3 sets with Nippons. They are not clicky at all - but they are not butter. Butter is Mizuno, et al. Miuras are dense and solid feeling - a unique feel. But clicky? You are off base as to translating feel. And I am picky as hell.

I also played Epon Wedges and irons in 2009 - the wedges were not as versatile as the K grind or C grind Miuras as they did not have enough grinding. I liked them but they were not the be all, end all. Neither are the Miuras. They've got to fit you.

I'd suggest to the OP that he see how both go through the turf and play in various conditions before the purchase.
"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Golf Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Rogue 4, 5 wd/GD AD F 55/65, ● TE Exotics EX10 GD ADHY 65 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-PW/Mitsu OT 75,  Miura Y Grind 50, K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno ● Callaway CS  ● Cart: Stewart Golf RS-1; Irons/Wedges built by Frank VIola @ www.aceofclubstp.com

#7 Bravo36

Bravo36

Tour Winner

• 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30879
  • Ebay ID:bravo36
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

I'll agree with your last statement, but everything else in your, and my, comments are completely subjective.  Deal with it.

#8 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1042

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:11 AM

View PostBravo36, on 30 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

I'll agree with your last statement, but everything else in your, and my, comments are completely subjective.  Deal with it.

I don't have to deal with it. I disagree completely with your assesment. You got it wrong, imho. I don't agree to disagree. I just disagree with you in a friendly way. And I played both, too.

And in 20 yrs on forums, you are the first poster I've seen that related clicky to Miura, ALTHOUGH I've seen many posters state that Epons are clicky as to their irons. And since I owned and played Epon irons, I'll say that description is apt. Epon irons in the CB's - 5 and 7 series were clicky. And I'm not saying "clicky" is bad, and I did not say that Miura Wedges were butter, as many do. I said they were solid and dense feeling, and a lot of posters over the years have reiterated the same. So I'll go with that. It seems it is the more than majority opinion. At the same time, outliers, like yourself, have a different sense of feel - maybe it was the shaft or setup.  Enjoy your Epons - nice clubs. I liked them.

Most clubs these days are great - it's what fits you and what you appreciate. As to the OP, crap, you can't go by what other guys like - the grind may not fit your swing or conditions. You've got to try them in the dirt.

Edited by SwingMan, 31 December 2017 - 12:23 AM.

"My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Golf Series 17 LKP  ● Callaway Rogue 4, 5 wd/GD AD F 55/65, ● TE Exotics EX10 GD ADHY 65 ● PXG 0311 XF 5-PW/Mitsu OT 75,  Miura Y Grind 50, K Grind 55, 59 Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 ● Directed Force Reno ● Callaway CS  ● Cart: Stewart Golf RS-1; Irons/Wedges built by Frank VIola @ www.aceofclubstp.com

#9 Tzoid

Tzoid

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5124
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:twallermizman
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Here is a more inexpensive way to try some Miura Wedges....  I play Scratch wedges and just bought a 54.08 & 58.12  Raw RM-22 Fourteen wedges so if I wanted to try Miura I would have to go this route since there are no retailers in my area.

https://www.2ndswing.com/search.aspx?searchterm=miura+wedge
Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
Ping G25 20 degree Hybrid
ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
Vokey SM6 50F 54S 58M
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
Titleist Pro V-1X

#10 Bigmean

Bigmean

Everything is Relative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344303
  • Handicap:JDM
GolfWRX Likes : 5528

Posted 01 January 2018 - 06:31 PM

Miura is sticky not clicky, I agree that is probably a misleading statement at best.  

100% on grass.  My Miuras do not feel as electric off the mat in my garage sim.  They feel good, but it is not the same.

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
            Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
            Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Stonewalled

Stonewalled

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311179
  • Ebay ID:stonewalljim
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Picked up a 56 K wedge late this fall, the sole looks like someone squeezed  it with 3 fingers in the forging process. Very unique and versatile, best looking wedge i have ever had my hands on.

The feel to me is soft and dense, not clicky.  I have numerous Endo forged  iron sets and was worried that the K56 was going to be disappointing feel wise vs and Endo product. I was not disappointed in my purchase, in fact i want some more please.

Just wondering what Miura irons would provide that?

Love the look of the satin  1957 line, would one go with the CB's or BB's ?

#12 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• 5,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 1179

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostStonewalled, on 02 January 2018 - 09:18 AM, said:

Picked up a 56 K wedge late this fall, the sole looks like someone squeezed  it with 3 fingers in the forging process. Very unique and versatile, best looking wedge i have ever had my hands on.

The feel to me is soft and dense, not clicky.  I have numerous Endo forged  iron sets and was worried that the K56 was going to be disappointing feel wise vs and Endo product. I was not disappointed in my purchase, in fact i want some more please.

You won't be disappointed in the CB57's. If you're a good enough ball striker, then by all means, go with the MB or BB. If you can hit'em like you're supposed to, you'll be more than satisfied.
JBeam BM-435 Blackout 10* Matrix TP7HDX
TEE CBX 15* Accra Tour-Z RPG 382
Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Veylix Rome 988X
PING S55 4-W DGTI X100
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 56SS, & 60ES DGTI S400
Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai 2.0

#13 Stonewalled

Stonewalled

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

View Postnitram, on 02 January 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

You won't be disappointed in the CB57's. If you're a good enough ball striker, then by all means, go with the MB or BB. If you can hit'em like you're supposed to, you'll be more than satisfied.
The CB  57's look fantastic and would suit my game better being a CB.  Would probably only use the 89pw of the BB set if i had some.  The satin look of the K wedge is addicting.  Looks alone on any of the 57's would keep me happy.  Thanks for the reply 'nitram'.

#14 zenman4711

zenman4711

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5169
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

View PostStonewalled, on 02 January 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

The CB  57's look fantastic and would suit my game better being a CB.  Would probably only use the 89pw of the BB set if i had some.  The satin look of the K wedge is addicting.  Looks alone on any of the 57's would keep me happy.  Thanks for the reply 'nitram'.

I was trying to decide between the CB 57s and BBs and wound up getting the CBs because I already had a set of blades - Srixon Z945. Kinda regret not getting the BBs now but the CBs feel great. Recently got a set of mint Taylormade Firesole Forged irons that were Miura forged for the JDM and those might feel better than the CB 57s and they have Nippon steel shafts as opposed to Matrix Program 95s. Can't go wrong with either one but I didn't find the CB57s super forgiving....maybe not even as forgiving as my 945s..

#15 Stonewalled

Stonewalled

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

View Postzenman4711, on 04 January 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

I was trying to decide between the CB 57s and BBs and wound up getting the CBs because I already had a set of blades - Srixon Z945. Kinda regret not getting the BBs now but the CBs feel great. Recently got a set of mint Taylormade Firesole Forged irons that were Miura forged for the JDM and those might feel better than the CB 57s and they have Nippon steel shafts as opposed to Matrix Program 95s. Can't go wrong with either one but I didn't find the CB57s super forgiving....maybe not even as forgiving as my 945s..
The 57 looks are enticing me to get some more but the used pricing is still higher than i want to pay. So i might have to make do with my  z545/z765/z965 combo set. Like u said they are more forgiving than they look.  Not fun buying something then go crap these are not as good as what i already have. Been there to many times.  You might have saved me a few bucks, thanks Zenny.

#16 Jwags

Jwags

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 179168
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:29 AM

View PostStonewalled, on 05 January 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

View Postzenman4711, on 04 January 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

The 57 looks are enticing me to get some more but the used pricing is still higher than i want to pay. So i might have to make do with my  z545/z765/z965 combo set. Like u said they are more forgiving than they look.  Not fun buying something then go crap these are not as good as what i already have. Been there to many times.  You might have saved me a few bucks, thanks Zenny.

If your in between the BB and CB and your a decent ball striker then go with the BB. I have CB501 and CB57's and why the CB57 are a bit more forgiving then the CB501's both do not provide much more forgiveness then the BB would if you can put a decent strike on a ball. Anything towards the toe will feel dead regardless if its the BB or CB. Now the 1957 wedges are another story. I have loved every minute they have been in the bag and will only replace them when the groves have folded in on them self's.
TM M4 GD Tour ADDI 7X
Ping G30 3 wood Fuji Speeder 661 evo 2 X-flex
Titleist 816H2 20* GD Tour ADDI 95S
Titleist AP2 4-PW TT DG TI X100
Titleist TI Raw SM6 Vokey 50/54/58 TI DG S400
Lajosi LP7

#17 Stonewalled

Stonewalled

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

View Postjwagenecht, on 05 January 2018 - 02:29 AM, said:

View PostStonewalled, on 05 January 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

If your in between the BB and CB and your a decent ball striker then go with the BB. I have CB501 and CB57's and why the CB57 are a bit more forgiving then the CB501's both do not provide much more forgiveness then the BB would if you can put a decent strike on a ball. Anything towards the toe will feel dead regardless if its the BB or CB. Now the 1957 wedges are another story. I have loved every minute they have been in the bag and will only replace them when the groves have folded in on them self's.

I am planning on buying these just for the feel and looks.  Probably only play the short irons, i seem to hit smaller headed clubs  closer to centre than the toe, not sure why. Mind probably thinks u better hit these in the middle idiot or your out of luck.  Lots of love on here for the BB's feel wise.  I will sell off some surplus in the spring and find me some BB's. Thanks jwag.  Big Yup on the wedges, enjoy.

#18 TheBoomer

TheBoomer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67458
GolfWRX Likes : 571

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:23 AM

View PostBravo36, on 30 December 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

#19 bellsy13

bellsy13

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223907
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:bellsy6822
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

I have tried a ton of Miura irons and wedges and for me I would never spend that kind of money on anything Miura. I play to an 11 and would be a low single digit if I could drive it consistently. My game is solid but I can't get any consistent feel out of a Miura.That doesn't mean they are inferior for everyone, just me and a select few. I've yet to try Epons - only heard good things.
M1 12* Speeder 757x3W R9 with Matrix Ozik HD8 Proto Tipped 1.5"
3I 712u S3004H R9 Supermax with Matrix Ozik HD8
Titleist 716CB 5-pw S200Cleveland 50/54/58 with Nippon WV115Scotty Cameron Newport 2.7

#20 Jack Pearsall

Jack Pearsall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125708
GolfWRX Likes : 1010

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

Miura is not clicky.  As stated, it’s dense and solid.
TM irons are often clicky....

Macgregor PCB Tours...the leopard of irons.

TM SLDR TP 430 10*
TM 300 Series 15*
Titleist 909h 17*
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21*
Macgregor PCB Tour 4-PW
Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
Odyssey White Hot #6

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 freehb

freehb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97712
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:31 PM

Bravo...how is that popcorn?

OP, Miura is denser, deeper feeling, crisp, slightly less forgiving.  Epon is soft and deep feeling.  Miura is a bit more precise, I'm just not as consistent with the c and y grind wedges I tried.  The 213 has been my gamer wedge for 5 plus years...nothing can kick it out for all around performance...just one man's personal preference...
153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60  Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

#22 freehb

freehb

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97712
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:36 PM

View PostSwingMan, on 31 December 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

View PostBravo36, on 30 December 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

I don't have to deal with it. I disagree completely with your assesment. You got it wrong, imho. I don't agree to disagree. I just disagree with you in a friendly way. And I played both, too.

And in 20 yrs on forums, you are the first poster I've seen that related clicky to Miura, ALTHOUGH I've seen many posters state that Epons are clicky as to their irons. And since I owned and played Epon irons, I'll say that description is apt. Epon irons in the CB's - 5 and 7 series were clicky. And I'm not saying "clicky" is bad, and I did not say that Miura Wedges were butter, as many do. I said they were solid and dense feeling, and a lot of posters over the years have reiterated the same. So I'll go with that. It seems it is the more than majority opinion. At the same time, outliers, like yourself, have a different sense of feel - maybe it was the shaft or setup.  Enjoy your Epons - nice clubs. I liked them.

Most clubs these days are great - it's what fits you and what you appreciate. As to the OP, crap, you can't go by what other guys like - the grind may not fit your swing or conditions. You've got to try them in the dirt.

Rrrreeerrr!,,
153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60  Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

#23 dmeeksDC

dmeeksDC

Major Winner

• 1,399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431476
  • Ebay ID:dmeeks2010
GolfWRX Likes : 535

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:01 AM

Not to thread jack, but Fourteen would rank well in this discussion. If you want a soft feeling wedge with a sticky face, they are contenders. Serious spin too.

Miura is a feel all its own. Not clicky at all to me. More like the feeling of a dense block of steel powering through. I love that feeling. Forged but solid.

And I confess I have never hit any Epon club, not for any particular reason. Never have come across one.
Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
Callaway XHot2 Pro 3 wood, 15 degrees, Aldila Tour Green stiff shaft
Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
Titleist 816 H1 hybrid, 19 degree set to 20, Diamana Blue 60S shaft

Miura CB57 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125 stiff shafts, soft-stepped
Ping i200, 4-PW, power spec lofts, Dynamic Gold 120 stiff shafts
Mizuno S5 50-degree gap wedge, Nippon 1150 stiff shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw, 58-degree wedge, X grind, DG S200 shaft
Edel Rogue putter (thick blade), 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip
Argolf Avalon (small, semi-circle mallet) 34 inch, 71 degree lie, 2 degrees loft, 100-gram round Pure grip.

#24 MysteryV

MysteryV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450612
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:15 PM

Which Epon wedges are people playing?  Where's the best place to pick some up?

I've been eyeballing the Tour wedge, but really wonder if they're worth the price.  
The new Miura tour wedge looks nice as well, but I'm not the biggest fan of the Miura feel (though I still have 3 Miura wedges in my bag - 2K, 1Y grind)
Driver: GBB Epic 9.5 w/ GD AD-TP
3 Wood: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
Hybrid: Epic 4H w/ GD AD-DI
Irons: Epon 302 w/ Modus 120
Wedges: Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors