Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

if u could swing like a pro past or present, who would it be?

196 replies to this topic

#181 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401370
GolfWRX Likes : 507

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

Chuck 3-sticks....with a better putting stroke.

Taylormade '16 M2 Driver 9.5*- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Callaway XR Pro 16* 4 Metal- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Ping G 22*-4 Hybrid- Altus S
Ping G 26*-5 Hybrid- Altus S
Bridgestone TourB X-CB 5-PW DG S300
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled Wedges-KBS Tour Custom S
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
Odyssey Versa 7 Counterbalanced 38"- Odyssey SuperStroke CB Tank Grip
Golf Pride MCC Grips (+3 wraps build up tape)
Snell MTB/ Bridgestone Tour B330
MG Elite Glove
Eliott Alistair Leather Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#182 magilla97

magilla97

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49502
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:21 AM

Tom Weiskopf

#183 mark174ace

mark174ace

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447384
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:28 AM

When Retief Goosen was in his prime I loved his swing especially his shoulder move on the takeaway and the follow through was not so bad either! I also loved Els and Louie O. The South African players just seem to have great rhythm.

For sheer simplicity I would go with Hogan.

#184 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77203
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted Today, 08:58 PM

View Postib0o0, on 10 January 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

View PostLijka, on 26 December 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Modern day, I'd have to agree with Louis. His swing is effortless looking.

He's only 5'8 and he is sneaky long. Yes, Louis all day for me.

I don't even think it's sneaky.  He's just notably long, esp. for his size.  Hits it on the sweet spot a lot and hardly ever gets steep and glancing.

#185 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:01 PM

View PostMiddler, on 10 January 2018 - 09:50 AM, said:

Never heard of this guy until today, but a very smooth swing. A little unusual? Tapio "GOD of TEMPO" Pulkkanen.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Funny you should bring him up.  It wasn't a couple of weeks ago I was watching some Eurotour event I'd recorded, I saw the guy, and thought "Well now. That's a swing."  More reminiscent of Els at his best or a longish classic player than the balls-to-the-wall, blow-my-back-out-by-34 kind of swing you see all the time today, because it's just that important what the number on the bottom of the club says.

#186 Erik_Tedfelt

Erik_Tedfelt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491040
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted Today, 09:02 PM

I would pick Adam Scott's swing without a doubt.

Looks so simple and beautiful.
Former NCAA Division I golfer at Wagner College in NYC.

College bio: http://www.wagnerath...8346&path=mgolf

Owner of The 300 Yard Club

Facebook group with free tips on how you can drive longer.

Click here to become a part of the group

https://www.facebook...41178729233492/

#187 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:02 PM

View Postconorgolf22, on 10 January 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

I have always been a fan of Davis Love's swing and Mark O'Meara's.  Both were very smooth.

Davis III is not in this competition, because it's clear to me he's made some kind of deal with Satan, and I don't appreciate it.

It's actually insane how well he hits it and how far he still hits it.  Something's wrong.

#188 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:05 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 10 January 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

Greg Norman. I’d beat the crap outta my pals with that swing and don’t care that I might not win the Masters.

You would win the Masters, because when you went into the final day you'd think more like Nicklaus than like Norman.  Nicklaus would've had a rational side that said "okay, I think I have the control to feel the difference between 105 and 107, but research says otherwise, so why don't I just give myself a little margin for error here?"  And that was the reason Norman didn't win.  I love the guy and think he's vastly undervalued, but I do think his confidence outpaced actual reality at certain critical times, the '96 Masters being the most obvious example.

#189 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:06 PM

View PostKrazyTrain18, on 11 January 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

Anybody that isn't a Sean Foley product.

heard THAT.

#190 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:07 PM

View Postdaegyu, on 10 January 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

John Daly. You know his swing is built to withstand a 6 pack and some shots of Jim Beam, which are my favorite playing partners as well.

You're thinking straight.  I bow.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#191 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted Today, 09:10 PM

Posted Image
Cobra F7+ - GD GP 7x
Ping G15 - Looking to replace
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - GD DI 105x
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Srixon Z-Star (Mostly)

#192 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:27 PM

View Postscotee, on 29 December 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

View Postmocokid, on 28 December 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

View PostForged4ever, on 28 December 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

View Postscotee, on 28 December 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

The question arises here: Would you rather have a pretty swing or a possibly "uglier" but more effective one? I would love to swing like Purtzer but would rather score like Furyk

That's why I love Sam's swing. They didn't get any more Beautiful, he had sick length back in the day and his swing was iced iron(WTF��) under pressure.

So I guess at the end of the day I'd like to swing like Sam and Score like Sam��

Stay well Bro and have a Happy Healthy & Prosperous New Years and Year ahead��

My Best,
RP

Purtzer: looks like he's pure flushing that ball optimizing his right side rotation and right arm extension through the ball.  Obviously, this is a recent swing and at his age he can't extend that left shoulder turn 90*+ any longer, so he does this ^^^^^^

I don't know enough about it to say it is the most technically perfect move but the tempo is to die for. It also seems to be a back friendly swing. He has a nice straight supported back with no hint of reverse C and finishes with level shoulders. Seems like a swing that would last.  But then again, where is Tom now? I would have guessed a swing like that would have won a lot more and been winning still.

It's definitely different here than when he was active on the regular tour.  But it was really good then too.

#193 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:32 PM

[quote name='Petunia Sprinkle' timestamp='1514500602' post='16608714']
[quote name='iBanesto' timestamp='1514346417' post='16601928']
Ian Woosnam.

Smooth and powerful.

[/quote]

Great choice. Very interesting swing. Another swing I always liked was Brett Ogle's (can't find a clip). And as tempting as it is to just go +1 on Snead's, I'd take the swing of a 13yr. old Michelle Wie. I still love watching her, but she's ruined it (she's rather like the Jose Carreras of golf, in a way).
[/quote]

I don't know [quote name='Man_O_War' timestamp='1514510517' post='16609252']
[quote name='Petunia Sprinkle' timestamp='1514500602' post='16608714']
[quote name='iBanesto' timestamp='1514346417' post='16601928']
Ian Woosnam.

Smooth and powerful.

[/quote]

Great choice. Very interesting swing. Another swing I always liked was Brett Ogle's (can't find a clip). And as tempting as it is to just go +1 on Snead's, I'd take the swing of a 13yr. old Michelle Wie. I still love watching her, but she's ruined it (she's rather like the Jose Carreras of golf, in a way).
[/quote]

i am 6 3...will still like to swing like woosie..
[/quote]

I don't know how many people know just how true this is, but boy, is it ever.  Wie as a young player was like watching a Snead in the making.  She was indescribably talented, and I couldn't agree more that it's just a shame what happened to her.  Everybody around her just needed to shut up and let her be the genius she was in her teens.  I hate it.  I actually admire the hell out of her for sticking with it and trying to find any way at all to move a ball around the course, no matter how much ridicule and flak she gets.  I think she's got a lot of mental toughness.

Like Woosie's, too, although I don't know if I could put him in the same category with Snead et al.   Sure did him right for a little tough bloke, though, didn't it?

I actually remember Ogle, and yeah, it was a good swing too.

[quote name='Jordan Speeth' timestamp='1515723800' post='16673900']
Chuck 3-sticks....with a better putting stroke.
[/quote]

He keeps coming up, doesn't he?  For good reason, AFAIC.

#194 emncaity

emncaity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 09:35 PM

Too many good ones.

Snead is probably the ultimate, even with that slight over-the-top.  The physical ability and the insanely low scores into his 60s and 70s are testament.  Good swings put the sweet spot on the ball a lot, and I'm not sure anybody ever did it more than he did.

Els in his 20s was hard to beat for a great action.

Couples had quirks, but the important elements were great, and his overall free flow and his ability to hit it on the sweet spot more than just about any of his contemporaries were what mattered.  Kinda have to put Love in here with Couples, although Love's swing was more conventional.

Purtzer had a great action, but Couples had most of the same qualities (big and athletic, free and slinging release, etc., in his 1980s swing) and was more effective with them.

Watson in his 40s was just unbelievable -- efficient, solid every time, plenty long enough.  If he'd still been putting the same way he did at 30, he'd have won 10 tournaments a year.

As much as Nicklaus was my #1 idol, I can't say his swing was actually better than the best of any era he competed in.  He was the greatest ever for different reasons.  The swing was effective.  He wasn't playing "perfect swing."  He was playing "lowest score in tournaments."  His best swing, though, was after the revamp in '79-'80.  Much more efficient and versatile in his early 40s.

Faldo's swing during his best years was as sound as you could get, and he's still underappreciated, as is Norman, as far as I'm concerned.

Oosthuizen's is just a natural beauty.  Rose has made his swing into a beauty, too.  

Adam Scott is mechanically sound, and I really like the guy, but there's something just a little mechanical and positiony about him at times.  I'd still take it.

Woods at times has been close to perfect, although his best usually comes when he's leaving just a little in the bag.  I'm not a fan, for specifics best left for a different thread, but the truth is that during his best years, the combination of nearly perfect mechanics and his short game was just unspeakably effective.  I never thought I'd see anybody who was as unlikely to 3-putt or to hit a bad putt from 5-10 feet as Nicklaus, but the truth is there were weeks when Woods would go 72 holes without a single three-putt and/or without missing even once from 4-5 feet.  At his best, the short game was like the best qualities of Watson and Nicklaus in their prime.  In terms of skill at striking and scoring...I mean, come on.  His problem was with not knowing what a champion actually is.

In the end...probably Snead.  Or Hogan, depending on the day.  Hogan's was more idiosyncratic than a lot of people realize, very much tweaked to eliminate the hook that plagued him in his early years.  Snead's is more a neutral and copiable swing, probably, especially for guys with some athletic ability.  But how do you say "Hogan's swing was definitely not the best," or "Snead's swing was second to somebody's," with a straight face?

Edited by emncaity, Today, 09:41 PM.

#195 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3420

Posted Today, 09:36 PM

View Postmark174ace, on 12 January 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

When Retief Goosen was in his prime I loved his swing especially his shoulder move on the takeaway and the follow through was not so bad either! I also loved Els and Louie O. The South African players just seem to have great rhythm.

For sheer simplicity I would go with Hogan.

Yeah, Goosen has been one of my favorites. Love the level of fire and zeal he brings to the game, which is none (I guess if you've been hit by lightning, it's easier to remember golf is just a lovely game).

#196 Texsport

Texsport

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196
GolfWRX Likes : 1030

Posted Today, 09:38 PM

Slammin' Sammy Snead!

Texsport
Callaway EPIC SubZero 10.5*/Fubuki K 70X
Titleist 915 15*/Fubuki K 80X (OR) Tour Edge CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S (OR) Scratch JMO Grind Don White 50*/DG X-100
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 62*/DG S-200 (OR) Scratch JMO Grind Don White 60*/DG X-100
Bettinardi Studio Stock #16 (OR) MannKrafted Brass Big Boy

#197 ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21

Serial Shanker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250392
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted Today, 09:40 PM

View Postemncaity, on 18 January 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

Too many good ones.

Snead is probably the ultimate, even with that slight over-the-top.  The physical ability and the insanely low scores into his 60s and 70s are testament.  Good swings put the sweet spot on the ball a lot, and I'm not sure anybody ever did it more than he did.

Els in his 20s was hard to beat for a great action.

Couples had quirks, but the overall free flow and his ability to hit it on the sweet spot more than just about any of his contemporaries were what mattered.  Kinda have to put Love in here with Couples, although Love's swing was more conventional.

Purtzer had a great action, but Couples had most of the same qualities and did more with them.

Watson in his 40s was just unbelievable -- efficient, solid every time, plenty long enough.  If he'd still been putting the same way he did at 30, he'd have won 10 tournaments a year.

As much as Nicklaus was my #1 idol, I can't say his swing was actually better than the best of any era he competed in.  He was the greatest ever for different reasons.  Swing was effective.  His best swing, though, was after the revamp in '79-'80.  Much more efficient and versatile in his early 40s.

Faldo's swing during his best years was as sound as you could get, and he's still underappreciated, as is Norman, as far as I'm concerned.

Oosthuizen's is just a natural beauty.  Rose has made his swing into an absolute beauty, too.  

Adam Scott is mechanically sound, and I really like the guy, but there's something just a little mechanical and positiony about him at times.  I'd still take it.

Woods at times has been close to perfect, although his best usually comes when he's leaving just a little in the bag.  I'm not a fan, but the truth is that during his best years, the combination of nearly perfect mechanics and his short game was just unspeakably effective.  I never thought I'd see anybody who was as unlikely to 3-putt or to hit a bad putt from 5-10 feet as Nicklaus, but the truth is there were weeks when Woods would go 72 holes without a single three-putt and/or without missing even once from 4-5 feet.  In terms of skill at striking and scoring...I mean, come on.  His problem was with not knowing what a champion actually is.

In the end...probably Snead.  Or Hogan, depending on the day.  Hogan's was more idiosyncratic than a lot of people realize, very much tweaked to eliminate the hook that plagued him in his early years.  Snead's is more a neutral and copiable swing, probably, especially for guys with some athletic ability.

covered a lot of great swings, good post.  Hard to argue with any of those.  I've always liked Shrek's swing!
Cobra F7+ - GD GP 7x
Ping G15 - Looking to replace
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
23* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - GD DI 105x
5-PW Yururi Flat Back Raw (Black) - DGTI X100s
GW, SW Royal Collect Dual Bite - DGTI S400s
Lob Wedge - SM6 MGrind - DGTI S400
Scotty Circa '62 No. 2
Srixon Z-Star (Mostly)

5 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

copperjeff, mark174ace, emncaity