Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 5 votes

New Paul Wilson video-320 yard drive

136 replies to this topic

#121 garyt

garyt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311399
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

View Postmudge, on 06 February 2018 - 02:40 PM, said:

View PostRi_Redneck, on 06 February 2018 - 01:55 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 06 February 2018 - 10:56 AM, said:

View PostRi_Redneck, on 06 February 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 05 February 2018 - 10:15 PM, said:

You averaged 275 carry at about 2,000' above sea level.  Average clubhead speed was just under 110.   To call it 320 is more than a little misleading,  at sea level you'd average mid 260s carry.

First off, I don't have a dog in this hunt. But, it irks me when people generalize and estimate to get a result that discredits someone. So let's look at the big picture. If we go back to the OP and check the video, he read the posted hole length off the scorecard as 321. We all know that can be +/- whatever. But, he then lasered the edge of the water at 275yds. Once he got up to the green, the distance from the edge of the water to the #1 ball, by my best approximation, appeared to be 30-35 yds. It was short of the pin, so maybe the hole length was actually close to 320, regardless, I think we can safely say that the ACTUAL distance from tee to ball in the original video is really around 305-310yds.

In the Trackman video, He is hitting an "off the cart" driver he has never hit before. We have no idea whether the length, weight or anything fits him. On average, his data is: SS=109.8, BS=161, LA=11, spin=3241 average dist = 274.8. When entered into the Flightscope TO, that data at 2000' (your number) elevation gives a carry of 278.4. Possibly the dense dry Las Vegas desert air cheated him out of a few yards, who knows. Now, had he been there for a fitting and they worked until they got the balance of the club just right, his spin down where it should be and his launch where it should be, the numbers could very possibly have been much better, wouldn't you think? Say after fitting the numbers were: SS=109.8, BS=165 (1.5 SF), launch 13, spin=2300, completely possible numbers with a proper fitting for someone with that SS. Entered into the FTO, this gives you a carry of 293.5 at 2000'. Change the elevation to sea level in the FTO and it gives you a carry of 285yds. This carries the water by 10 yds, in the original video, and rollout puts the ball where he found it at 305-310.

Misleading? Really?!?! Splitting hairs IMHO.

BT

The hole measures 290 from tee box to center of the green.  He's cutting off the corner so what the hole yardage says is irrelevant.  Being in the desert at elevation is helping him not hurting him.   I hit my 3 iron 270 on average in the desert.   I don't claim I hit my 3 iron 270 though.  I've driven a 438 yard par 4 too.

Nobody swinging just under 110 should claim they drive it 320.  Guys swinging 128mph don't average 320 on tour.  It's absolutey misleading, especially on a dogleg hole that only measures 290 to the center of the green

I played in Vegas 2 weeks ago and also last summer. My driver carry varies approximately 10 yds more there than in my home area near Boston, which pretty much equals what the math says that elevation difference should give you. Dense air will help your distance as long as your spin is not too high. Spin too high and the denser air causes more ballooning. Where's the wind blowing? Who the heck knows. But yet, you insist that this guy, who on Trackman with a non-fitted driver, is hitting balls distances ranging from 280 to 310 cannot POSSIBLY hit a ball 320 yds whit his fitted driver.

Seriously, at first it was "NO WAY is he swinging 110!!". Well, we see three instance on varying equipment, Trackman included, where he DID swing 110. Then it's "NO WAY he can hit it that far ONLY swinging 110!!!!" So, he posts a video showing that he can come pretty close with an "off the rack" driver. Then it's "Yeah, but you couldn't do that at see level." Which doesn't mean crap because he wasn't at sea level in the original video. But I go ahead and post the same numbers on a trusted LM sight's piece of software that shows HE COULD get that distance, roll included with a properly fitted driver. And finally we get "NO WAY can that hole be that far!!", which is a totally mute point once it is proven that his numbers CAN give a drive of that length anyway. What's it gonna be next? "NO WAY Bob Parsons let him hit that driver for free!!!!"

I'm beginning to get the impression that, regardless of what he CAN do, you're not going to accept it.

BT

BTW, I happy that you get great distance out of your 3i in the desert and are able to drive long par 4s sometimes. It's pretty awesome!

Totally this. At first it was

"that swing is not producing 3 bills, not enough speed"

doubting the SSR and Swing Caddie numbers. Then he finally gets on a Trackman showing he can swing it ~110 mph, then it's

"109 just isn’t that fast"

Just goes to prove the saying, "haters gonna hate."

More like Golfwrx haters gonna hate. Has there EVER been an instructor that has come on here and not been run off by the know it alls? EVER?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 897

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM

^^^^^ I can think of a few.

This brings up a bigger question.  Why would an instructor be "run off"?

In this particular instance we have an example of an instructor "fudging his numbers".  As a consumer, that makes me wonder what else he would be willing to fudge.  The instructors who have lasted seem to have a solid and grounded base of golf experience without the need to misrepresent themselves.

At a time when many here complain about the state of golf instruction, I would think everyone here would value not only instructor integrity but also the opportunity to question and challenge when said integrity or methods are in question.  No reason for an instructor to leave when they are on solid ground.

#123 northgolf

northgolf

Pork

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
GolfWRX Likes : 1219

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

garyt said:

More like Golfwrx haters gonna hate. Has there EVER been an instructor that has come on here and not been run off by the know it alls? EVER?

Haters is such a wimpy everybody gets a trophy mellenial phrase.

Teachers who are confident in what they are teaching and can thus handle critiques have flourished here.  Over the top hacks who are selling snake oil run away.

Basically, my point is that not all instructors run away with their tail between their legs, only the weak ones.
If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun.  - Zippy the Pinhead

#124 Fireballer

Fireballer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 316169
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

View Postoikos1, on 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

In this particular instance we have an example of an instructor "fudging his numbers".  

Why fudge the numbers anyway?  Dude has a solid swing and certainly 285ish is nothing to be ashamed of.

#125 Miggaletoe

Miggaletoe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103780
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:08 PM

View Postoikos1, on 11 February 2018 - 01:04 PM, said:

In this particular instance we have an example of an instructor "fudging his numbers".  As a consumer, that makes me wonder what else he would be willing to fudge.  The instructors who have lasted seem to have a solid and grounded base of golf experience without the need to misrepresent themselves.

Yea this right here. I imagine Dan wouldn't have been received too well if when he first came on the site he was posting about his 270 4 iron. And that is exactly the same thing that this guy is doing. Fudging numbers just makes takes away credibility.

#126 parforme

parforme

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 330151
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

I'm not entirely clear on the question of "fudging his numbers" however to that end how many sales pitches for equipment, training devices, and lessons coming on here or on any other site have not put their absolute best spin or sales pitch on their product?

Edited by parforme, 11 February 2018 - 10:10 PM.

#127 chrisgilly09

chrisgilly09

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114762
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

And then companies wonder why people give bad reviews of their products or are turned off by their marketing altogether. It may be pedantic but just because other products or services are less than truthful does not make it ok

He clearly has a lil speed and can doubtless hit it 320 given the right conditions, no argument from me

#128 aliikane

aliikane

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113801
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 267

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:47 AM

The techniques are valid and can be easier on the body. Tension in the golf swing can definitely slow the club down making the player cast or not release the club properly. Also, the technique allows the club to create lag and fully release the club. Of course, it is not the only way to hit the ball far. The player that comes to mind that has that effortless power is Els.

#129 argee1977

argee1977

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401588
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:43 AM

I always love the term 'effortless power', the likes of Els, Monty, Paul Wilson, etc have honed their swing over decades, hitting tens of thousands of balls a year and in the process changing the way their body works, that's a lot of effort for an effortless swing!

That's my only problem with this type of instruction, it's not really as easy, unless you are lucky enough to only have the issue of a bit of tension in your swing.

#130 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 908

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

Can someone explain to me why this entire thread has such deep meaning to so many? If I spent this sort of time hand ringing about the accuracy of some random internet instructor’s drives I would drive myself batsh*t.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 RattlesnakeRon

RattlesnakeRon

Student of the Game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 393004
GolfWRX Likes : 611

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:15 AM

He has crazy lag. This is his “easy” 100mph swing from 1:50 in https://youtu.be/O9jr3G1FF6M

Posted Image

Still frames:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#132 isaacbm

isaacbm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76094
  • Handicap:+1.3
GolfWRX Likes : 2861

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

I actually found this thread quite entertaining.

The way I see it is if you're going to use a specific example to demonstrate how far you hit it, then the example should
be accurate.

He said:" I just hit the ball close to 320."

He didn't.  He hit it almost exactly 289

He just turned from Zach Johnson into Dustin Johnson!

Guy has great speed for any age but he's basically using this video as an infomercial and got called
out as having false info.

Doesn't matter what he "might" be able to do, or how far he hits it at sea level or any of the rest of it.

He posted a video that claims, using his method, he just hit a ball 320 when he hit it just under 290.

Should be working for Taylormade's marketing team!

#133 spoonek9

spoonek9

#UR:

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47631
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

For the love of god, he carried the ball 280+ into an up slope from what it looked like to me. Plus it looked to be wet since there was mud on the one ball.

Guys act like he carried it 250 with 40 yards of roll!

It wasn't a great example of him hitting it 320 but he seems very capable.
I hate people!

#134 NotForeLong

NotForeLong

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487708
  • Handicap:1,2
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

View Postspoonek9, on 13 February 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

For the love of god, he carried the ball 280+ into an up slope from what it looked like to me. Plus it looked to be wet since there was mud on the one ball.

Guys act like he carried it 250 with 40 yards of roll!

It wasn't a great example of him hitting it 320 but he seems very capable.

Dude, we arenít acting like he hit it 250, we are acting like he hit it he ď280+ into an up slope from what it looked like to me. Plus it looked to be wet since there was mud on the one ball.Ē Nothing wrong with that, except he claimed it was 320. As pretty much everyone has conceded, he didnít hit it 320.  Iím not saying you need to care about him exaggerating his claim, but some people donít like it. It makes many of us feel like he thinks we are dumb. There was no reason for him to tack on possibly 30 yards to what he actually hit it. And if you are gonna make exaggerated claims, and are found out, youíll probably get called out for it.

#135 moehogan

moehogan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

View PostRattlesnakeRon, on 13 February 2018 - 12:15 AM, said:

He has crazy lag. This is his “easy” 100mph swing from 1:50 in https://youtu.be/O9jr3G1FF6M

%20https://j.gifs.com/nrJE7D.gif

Still frames:

Posted Image
Posted Image

A little float loading going on there?

Edited by moehogan, 13 February 2018 - 05:39 PM.

#136 BKing2015

BKing2015

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389582
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:xc7541998
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

I have been messing around with this swing. I have not bought his system but trying the swing off the info on YouTube and there is a lot out there. I am a arm swinger and have struggled with a slice for a long time. If I hit the ball square and solid you can almost bet it is a pull left. With this swing I hit the ball on target line and square, solid contact. My distance is not there but I am just starting. I am not a feel player or very flexible so it will take a lot of practice to get the muscle memory to be consistent. I am going to stay with it a while and see what happens. It does not bother me that he really did not hit it 320 yards. I would die for his swing and yards that he hits the ball.

#137 harolease

harolease

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 307947
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

In the OPís first post can see a lateral view with driver
A pose after striking the ball showing the butt end of the shaft.
Does that mean his swing a CF swing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors