Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Rain gear

99 replies to this topic

#91 cristphoto

cristphoto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42981
GolfWRX Likes : 584

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

mallrat, on 11 April 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

From a greenskeeper in Oregon, Galvin Green is the best I have tried so far. Nike's stuff starts out good but when it stops being waterproof you are hating life and you never know when that is gonna be.

Adidas and FJ make decent light or drizzle rain gear, but when the heavy stuff comes down I want GG or ZR. They both are better than my Columbia gear.

But there are some days only the fishing rubbers will do and those days stink no matter what you are wearing (mine is Grunden).

EDIT... I got my GG set on sale from Golf Poser for about $390.

The voice of experience.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 weavej1

weavej1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47563
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:16 PM

chbrake, on 22 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

I'm in the market for some new rain gear. Who has what and what do you like/don't like about it? Thanks for the help!

Clint

http://www.news1130....als-greenpeace/

#93 I_HATE_SNOW

I_HATE_SNOW

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47459
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 15 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

weavej1, on 15 April 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

chbrake, on 22 December 2017 - 10:44 PM, said:

I'm in the market for some new rain gear. Who has what and what do you like/don't like about it? Thanks for the help!

Clint

http://www.news1130....als-greenpeace/
They don't like teflon?

#94 Longallover

Longallover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132573
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:43 AM

Any reviews on the Proquip Tour Lite?  I see a lot of positive reviews of the PX5, but like the idea of being able to pack it easily.  Also I dont plan on playing in significant downpours too often.

#95 chris975d

chris975d

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404098
  • Ebay ID:jscott8307
GolfWRX Likes : 793

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:07 PM

Adding to my Galvin Green to Kjus conversion.  Along with the Dexter models I have referred to above, I've also recently added a more "traditional" 3-layer Kjus model, the "Pro 3L" to my collection and tested it a few times in some rain..particularly this past weekend.  A freaking downpour (about 2 inches of rainfall in a few hours) on Sunday.  The Kjus Pro 3L jackets and PX5 ProQuip rainpants.  The jacket performed flawlessly, and the DWR coating was amazing.  During this entire round, the jacket kept beading water off and kept me completely dry...bone dry.  I've played in rains similar to this with by Galvin Green gear, and even it's DWR will fail and "wet out" (outer layer get soaked, but still stay dry inside as the membrane doesn't fail).  Even the ProQuip PX5 pants wetted out (only the second rain they have been in), but again, I stayed dry inside the pants.

The only issue wetting out will cause (I've mentioned it in a raingear thread or two) is that if it's hot outside, your bodyheat/moisture cannot escape through the rain gear and will build up moisture/condensation on the interior of the gear.  This particular day wasn't hot, so wetting out wasn't too detrimental.  

But after having the Kjus Dexter pieces, and now the Pro 3L, I'm a full convert from Galvin Green/GoreTex over to Kjus.  Yes, Kjus is even more expensive than Galvin...the Pro 3L can cost almost as much as a Galvin Green jacket AND pant combined, but Kjus has proven (to me) to be the most innovative, best performing rain gear on the market.  The fit (for me), performance, and feel are all above even that of Galvin Green.  

Now the process of clearing out the majority of my Galvin Green gear (I have A LOT...probably $3000 or so worth) and moving those funds into more Kjus.  I have a few more pieces coming, including their 2-layer (think GoreTex PacLite competitor) "Clive" waterproof to try out.

#96 Unteachable

Unteachable

Tour Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19031
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

Longallover, on 17 April 2018 - 11:43 AM, said:

Any reviews on the Proquip Tour Lite?  I see a lot of positive reviews of the PX5, but like the idea of being able to pack it easily.  Also I dont plan on playing in significant downpours too often.

It is very light and very stretchy.  Not warm but a nice jacket.  slim fitting.  They have a new model called the tour flex lite which has a thin liner now as well

#97 4puttJohnny

4puttJohnny

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 333715
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

chris975d, on 17 April 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Adding to my Galvin Green to Kjus conversion.  Along with the Dexter models I have referred to above, I've also recently added a more "traditional" 3-layer Kjus model, the "Pro 3L" to my collection and tested it a few times in some rain..particularly this past weekend.  A freaking downpour (about 2 inches of rainfall in a few hours) on Sunday.  The Kjus Pro 3L jackets and PX5 ProQuip rainpants.  The jacket performed flawlessly, and the DWR coating was amazing.  During this entire round, the jacket kept beading water off and kept me completely dry...bone dry.  I've played in rains similar to this with by Galvin Green gear, and even it's DWR will fail and "wet out" (outer layer get soaked, but still stay dry inside as the membrane doesn't fail).  Even the ProQuip PX5 pants wetted out (only the second rain they have been in), but again, I stayed dry inside the pants.

The only issue wetting out will cause (I've mentioned it in a raingear thread or two) is that if it's hot outside, your bodyheat/moisture cannot escape through the rain gear and will build up moisture/condensation on the interior of the gear.  This particular day wasn't hot, so wetting out wasn't too detrimental.  

But after having the Kjus Dexter pieces, and now the Pro 3L, I'm a full convert from Galvin Green/GoreTex over to Kjus.  Yes, Kjus is even more expensive than Galvin...the Pro 3L can cost almost as much as a Galvin Green jacket AND pant combined, but Kjus has proven (to me) to be the most innovative, best performing rain gear on the market.  The fit (for me), performance, and feel are all above even that of Galvin Green.  

Now the process of clearing out the majority of my Galvin Green gear (I have A LOT...probably $3000 or so worth) and moving those funds into more Kjus.  I have a few more pieces coming, including their 2-layer (think GoreTex PacLite competitor) "Clive" waterproof to try out.

Chris975 -- are the Kjus warming (winter/cold) pieces also better than GG's stuff?

#98 Gobears16

Gobears16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464484
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:31 AM

The best rain gear made is by Kuiu. They are a mountain hunting company that makes gear to be light weight and durable. If itís good enough for sheep hunting guides in Alaska itíll hold to any 18 holes I play in the lower 48.

https://www.kuiu.com...rde2.0#start=19

https://www.kuiu.com...rde2.0#start=18

#99 MitchCumstein

MitchCumstein

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51146
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:10 AM

4puttJohnny, on 18 April 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

chris975d, on 17 April 2018 - 07:07 PM, said:

Chris975 -- are the Kjus warming (winter/cold) pieces also better than GG's stuff?

Chris975 is spot on. I’ve fully converted to KJUS. Their dwr is much much more durable than GG and lasts longer. GG wets our after just a couple days in heavy rain. Also the GG stuff is just too loud for me. KJUS soft and quiet.

#100 drscott266

drscott266

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19420
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 19 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

Kjus. That stuff has changed the way I look at rain gear... don’t trust their mountain stuff for the price, but their golf waterproofs are the best I have ever worn. I’ve tried the big names... GG, Sunice, but Kjus is the top. Fit is perfect for me, sized up slightly but I am slim and it fits great. The stretch is top notch, and Derma-whatever is from toray who is really high end. I doubt anyone would regret Kjus if you can justify the cost.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors