Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What Do You Tell Your Kid After a Bad Range Session?

44 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

My boy was struggling on the driving range a little last night. How do you address that with your kiddos afterward? I tried to watch and give a little advice during but he wasn't listening (for unusual reasons I'd rather not get into).

Thanks.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
20-year old Mizuno 5 Wood
Balls: Z Star and Snell MTB Black

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Jkellender

Jkellender

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261626
  • Handicap:3
  • Ebay ID:Jadon11
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

How old is your son? Depending on his age and skill level, call it a wash. Bad sessions happen, don't cry over spilled milk. Reiterate the positives in your life, health, family, christmas season, the spirit of giving, the means to play a game for fun. Focus on the positives.

When I have a crummy ball striking day I'll go chip and putt to get the confidence back up.  

Now if your son is the next Justin Thomas go hit 100000 balls til you figure it out
Titleist 913 D2 Fuji F3 Motore
Titleist 913f Aldila Phenom
Titleist 913h Diamana
714 AP2 4-W PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
Vokey SM4 56, 60
WITB Link

#3 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostJkellender, on 22 December 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

How old is your son? Depending on his age and skill level, call it a wash. Bad sessions happen, don't cry over spilled milk. Reiterate the positives in your life, health, family, christmas season, the spirit of giving, the means to play a game for fun. Focus on the positives.

When I have a crummy ball striking day I'll go chip and putt to get the confidence back up.  

Now if your son is the next Justin Thomas go hit 100000 balls til you figure it out
He's 12. Thanks - that's good advice. Pretty similar to what I told him. As we left I said, "Golf is a game where everybody has a bad day once in a while. Even Tiger." He responded, "Has Justin Thomas had a bad day? Have you ever seen him have a bad day?" Me - "Well, I've seen days when he hasn't won." Haha...

#4 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2098

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

Never look at a range session as good or bad.  It is a range session and that is where you practice.  Practice is where you work to get better.  It doesn't matter if it is football, basketball, baseball, curling, golf, diving.  A good practice is a good practice and a bad practice is a bad practice.  Leave it at that and go home.

#5 moonshine

moonshine

06/17/18 Best day of year to watch golf!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 752

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

If it was really bad may I suggest a scene from a movie?  Make him watch the part where KC is sh**king it on the range with all the pros around.  Hey, his caddie always came through for him!!!  Good luck...I have 8 and 9 year old boys it is a tough job.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

#6 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 2041

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

https://youtu.be/BF9VBqSI_b8
Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

#7 moonshine

moonshine

06/17/18 Best day of year to watch golf!

• 6,251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 752

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:37 PM

View PostBrianMcG, on 22 December 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Man I love those shoes!
"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

#8 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Show him Justin Thomas's 2017 season. Lots of highs and lows in there.

http://www.espn.com/.../4848/year/2017

#9 kekoa

kekoa

• 7,861 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1798

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

If my kid is hitting it bad at the range, I'll normally just have him go chip and putt instead.  Either that or have him hit his best club in the bag (driver) and then come back to whatever club he is having issues with.  I'm just glad my son plays a lot better than he practices.

#10 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:10 PM

And it is normal for kids not listening.  Haven't been to the course to watch my kid swing a club in a couple of weeks.  Went last night and this was how the conversation went.

Him:  I don't understand why the ball is going to high.
Me:  You are swinging too hard from the top down.
Him:  No I'm not.

Him:  I don't understand why I am hitting behind the ball.

Him:  This new grip is killing me.  I can't hit a green because of it.
Me.  Maybe true, but you can't hit a green because you are swinging too hard from the top down.

Get a text from his coach after his lesson.  New grip looking good.  Range session went well.  Went to the course and he started swinging too hard from the top down.  Ball would balloon and he would hit behind the ball at times.

I just shook my head.  I am not an expert, but there are certain things I can tell because I have seen him swing thousands of times.  They hit middle school and you can't tell them a thing because they think they know it all.  Frustrating because if they would just listen they could correct within minutes.  Middle school kids will try everything they can to be right even if it means doing it wrong to try to be right.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 22 December 2017 - 02:10 PM, said:

And it is normal for kids not listening.  Haven't been to the course to watch my kid swing a club in a couple of weeks.  Went last night and this was how the conversation went.

Me.  Maybe true, but you can't hit a green because you are swinging too hard from the top down.

Get a text from his coach after his lesson.  New grip looking good.  Range session went well.  Went to the course and he started swinging too hard from the top down.  Ball would balloon and he would hit behind the ball at times.

I just shook my head.  I am not an expert, but there are certain things I can tell because I have seen him swing thousands of times.  They hit middle school and you can't tell them a thing because they think they know it all.  Frustrating because if they would just listen they could correct within minutes.  Middle school kids will try everything they can to be right even if it means doing it wrong to try to be right.

My boy and I were on the putting green working on line and break on some big benders.  Tell my son to hit it higher and softer... gives me the stink eye.  Club pro comes over and says almost the exact same thing and you'd think he's hearing it from the ghost of Ben Hogan.  Sometimes it's just who delivers the message.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

View Postleezer99, on 22 December 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

My boy and I were on the putting green working on line and break on some big benders.  Tell my son to hit it higher and softer... gives me the stink eye.  Club pro comes over and says almost the exact same thing and you'd think he's hearing it from the ghost of Ben Hogan.  Sometimes it's just who delivers the message.

I used to get mad.  Anymore it is not worth my time.  I just repeat quotes.

'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.'

'The heart of a fool is in his mouth, the mouth of a wise man is in his heart.'

#13 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

Yep...very familiar to me. Haha!

#14 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 23,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 24084

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:19 PM

Clean his room?

#15 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2044

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

I have a son who plays lots of  AAU basketball. I say one thing, work hard and keep it fun. I leave the technical to the coaches and sparingly, away from the court, softly suggest paths to improvement.

I watch kids getting hyper analyzed on the range (commentary on every freaking swing) by well meaning parents and I want to throw up. All those kids are being tortured. Their passion murdered.

I stress work ethic and attitude and to own both. Bad session or day does not matter when they own those things.

#16 4rheel

4rheel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20950
GolfWRX Likes : 409

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

I have a 12 yr old son that is exactly the same way.  Anyone can see he's trying to swing hard from the top with his hands.  When he swings with rhythm, just smothers it.  Soon as I turn my head he's trying to kill it again.

I don't like to over analyze his swing and just try to give him support.  Prepare him mentally letting him know he will have a lot of bad range sessions but it's a process to getting better.  He also seems to play better than he practices.

#17 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostNard_S, on 22 December 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

I have a son who plays lots of  AAU basketball. I say one thing, work hard and keep it fun. I leave the technical to the coaches and sparingly, away from the court, softly suggest paths to improvement.

I watch kids getting hyper analyzed on the range (commentary on every freaking swing) by well meaning parents and I want to throw up. All those kids are being tortured. Their passion murdered.

I stress work ethic and attitude and to own both. Bad session or day does not matter when they own those things.
I agree. I only deal with a couple technical things with my boy - things I taught him when he first started swinging a club. I rely on the teaching pro. One thing I did tell him afterward, though: "You know that Ben Hogan book I bought you, 'Five Lessons'? Go look at that again." He understood. I'll let Ben Hogan tell him his feet were out of whack, or the pro. I'm not worried about the boy's game or swing, though. Frankly, even last night several people on the range stopped practicing and sat there and just watched him hit balls- his swing is so beautiful. He always gets admirers when he's hitting balls.

And...before this thread goes off the tracks: I'm not asking about how to be your kid's swing coach - but, what kind of words of encouragement you use after walking from the range.

Edited by BeerPerHole, 22 December 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#18 p3ga

p3ga

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209795
GolfWRX Likes : 405

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

Don't worry, your life will get significantly easier when they hit 14, as by then they will know everything about everything. Your work will be done. :D

When mine (now 18) was going through a similar phase, reverting back to "What did your coach advise?" or something along those lines worked - and it put the onus on him to think it through / figure it out. Ultimately, he did & learned from it.

Then we'd go and get ice cream. :yes:

Edited by p3ga, 22 December 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.

#19 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
GolfWRX Likes : 2044

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 22 December 2017 - 06:22 PM, said:

View PostNard_S, on 22 December 2017 - 05:30 PM, said:

I agree. I only deal with a couple technical things with my boy - things I taught him when he first started swinging a club. I rely on the teaching pro. One thing I did tell him afterward, though: "You know that Ben Hogan book I bought you, 'Five Lessons'? Go look at that again." He understood. I'll let Ben Hogan tell him his feet were out of whack, or the pro. I'm not worried about the boy's game or swing, though. Frankly, even last night several people on the range stopped practicing and sat there and just watched him hit balls- his swing is so beautiful. He always gets admirers when he's hitting balls.

And...before this thread goes off the tracks: I'm not asking about how to be your kid's swing coach - but, what kind of words of encouragement you use after walking from the range.

You handled it perfectly, dispassionate, matter of fact. "Next time" with a smile caps it. Go grab an ice cream.

#20 Belmont148

Belmont148

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
GolfWRX Likes : 593

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

The last two posts are interesting as my response after reading the first post was take him to get some ice cream and let the session go.

Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
Cobra F7 3W Aldila Rogue Silver 70S
F6 Baffler 17.5* Aldila Rogue Black 70 stiff
Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
MD Forged 56* S200
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 shizblam

shizblam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407362
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 22 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

Id remind him that range sessions are to work on what you are not good at. If you only practice what youre good at, youll never improve where it is needed the most. Struggling at the range is unfortunately needed to improve. The best players in the world struggle at the range... intentionally.
2016 M1 460 9.5*
2016 M2 15*
R15 3h (-1.5*)
RSI TP 4-9
EF Wedges 47, 52, 56, 60
2016 Cameron Newport 34"

#22 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

View Postshizblam, on 22 December 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

I'd remind him that range sessions are to work on what you are not good at. If you only practice what you're good at, you'll never improve where it is needed the most. Struggling at the range is unfortunately needed to improve. The best players in the world struggle at the range... intentionally.

That's where I practice my punchout from the trees and the good ol' 120 yard chunk and run.

#23 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 23 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

My 13 year old and I play every so often with his friend and his dad.  The dad and I always joke that we should ride with each other's sons.

#24 nitram

nitram

Take Dead Aim

• 5,079 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28973
  • Ebay ID:fmrtrp
GolfWRX Likes : 1184

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

Get a job.
JBeam BM-435 Blackout 10* Matrix TP7HDX
TEE CBX 15* Accra Tour-Z RPG 382
Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 19* Veylix Rome 988X
PING S55 4-W DGTI X100
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50SS, 56SS, & 60ES DGTI S400
Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai 2.0

#25 leezer99

leezer99

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

View Postnitram, on 23 December 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

Get a job.

What?

#26 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:19 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 22 December 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

My boy was struggling on the driving range a little last night. How do you address that with your kiddos afterward? I tried to watch and give a little advice during but he wasn't listening (for unusual reasons I'd rather not get into).

Thanks.

My kids laugh off bad days, and always have. The simple truth is most kids are not going to be Justin Thomas nor any other pro. The best way to deal with a bad day for us is to play video games together until were all happy or my wife stops us from wasting the rest of the day. Then we all go out for ice cream.

#27 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 23 December 2017 - 10:19 PM, said:

Thanks.

My kids laugh off bad days, and always have. The simple truth is most kids are not going to be Justin Thomas nor any other pro. The best way to deal with a bad day for us is to play video games together until we're all happy or my wife stops us from wasting the rest of the day. Then we all go out for ice cream.
Yeah. In the winter our weeknight sessions are at a big, lighted range, but the grille is closed. The first several years of range rat time with him we'd always hit the grille for fries after each session. I still think that was key in him sticking with it. I'm not one to pressure the kid into anything. But...for some reason I hate video games. Never liked them (I'm strange). The boy plays minecraft, though. That game is like crack, apparently...

#28 BNGL

BNGL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 889

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

Had many a bad range session in high school, college, and in two years of playing. I always tried to stay positive no matter what. Say the ball was leaking right more than normal no matter what I did. I'd work on my go to shots, the one that I can hit no matter what for me that happens to be a punch. I'll just work on punch shots, knowing that my full swing isn't up to par. OR I'd take a break for a few days just work on short game and putting, until the itch to hit balls came back. No need to reinvent the wheel, plenty of top professionals hit it bad on the range, just stay positive

#29 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 25 December 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Thanks.

My kids laugh off bad days, and always have. The simple truth is most kids are not going to be Justin Thomas nor any other pro. The best way to deal with a bad day for us is to play video games together until we're all happy or my wife stops us from wasting the rest of the day. Then we all go out for ice cream.
Yeah. In the winter our weeknight sessions are at a big, lighted range, but the grille is closed. The first several years of range rat time with him we'd always hit the grille for fries after each session. I still think that was key in him sticking with it. I'm not one to pressure the kid into anything. But...for some reason I hate video games. Never liked them (I'm strange). The boy plays minecraft, though. That game is like crack, apparently...
Going to the grille and watching other people while you eat is a great father son thing to do.

Yes, MineCraft is pretty addicting for them. That's the other thing we had to deal with, but it was only a passing thing for our kids. Luckily, they like real life stuff much more than virtual stuff.

Golf is like crack for many of us too. LOL.

Edited by Lincoln_Arcadia, 27 December 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#30 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:48 PM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 27 December 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

View PostBeerPerHole, on 25 December 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Thanks.

Going to the grille and watching other people while you eat is a great father son thing to do.

Yes, MineCraft is pretty addicting for them. That's the other thing we had to deal with, but it was only a passing thing for our kids. Luckily, they like real life stuff much more than virtual stuff.

Golf is like crack for many of us too. LOL.

Seriously, what is Minecraft?  My 12 year doesn't even know what it is.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors